Baby Steps

A Beautiful Enigma

Saturday mornings were Chanyeol's favourite. He would wolf down breakfast and then head to his precious basketball practice. But for some reason, as he sat swaying in the metro, he couldn't let go of the thoughts that brought him back to Kyungsoo.

During basketball practice, he easily made up for the time he lost in detention. He kept shooting and running and dribbling till his limbs failed him. After tiring them out, their coach finally let the team take a break and Chanyeol sat down beside Yifan and fellow teammate Sehun, slowly sipping on some water. The other two were busy discussing team plans and strategies and the upcoming match with a rival school but Chanyeol was only physically present through the conversation.

'Yo PCY!' exclaimed Yifan, bringing the guy back to Earth, 'what's the matter with you today?'

'Yeah, you didn't motor your mouth like usual,' pointed out Sehun snidely.

'I just— say, have you guys ever seen this weird short person floating around school?' inquired Chanyeol.

'Ooh, is it a girl?' teased Sehun to which Yifan chuckled.

'Mmmhmm. A Do Kyungsoo...'

Sehun immediately recoiled at that and the team captain choked on his own spit. The younger one stared at Chanyeol wide eyed for a moment or so and then lunged at him and roared,

'You mean, the Do Kyungsoo? Short  stature, huge eyes, plaited hair.... that GOBLIN!?'

'Uhh...exactly?' mumbled Chanyeol, unsure of what to say.

Yifan got up, glared down at the seated Chanyeol and ordered,

'In concern of your well being, I forbid you from talking to her— no, even thinking about her!'

But Chanyeol retorted defensively,'And why's that?'— only to conclude sheepishly—'Considering I'm already her friend?'

At that, both his friends looked as though Chanyeol stabbed them in the heart with a stake. Yifan's mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water but no sound came out. Once he regained his voice, he desperately told Chanyeol in a final attempt to change his mind,

'I warn you... that girl once tried to poison a teacher because she was refused an A grade in her test.'

'It's true! Don't worry; you can still back out of the friendship. She probably wouldn't mind since she likes being alone...' added Sehun.

In reply, Chanyeol grinned at his friends and, much to their dismay, stated, 'Guys, I get your concern and care but seriously, if you want me to step out of this, get me the facts, not rumors.'

Yifan just shut his eyes and crossed his arms like a little child, obstinately answering back,

'All I can say PCY, is that you've dug your own grave like the idiot that you are!'

'And you've found just the right person to bury you alive in it!' 

'Listen, it's that fear I feel when I see her that gets me so attracted to her...'

'Ewww! I did NOT want to know about your freaky es, lover boy!'

'Shut up Sehun! You're too lazy to work your mind over something you don't understand.'

'Whatever. But if you're going to get yourself killed, do it after the upcoming match please?' put in Yifan, throwing his water bottle into the dustbin.

 

The following Monday, Chanyeol was at school even before the security guards had settled in. And for the next hour and a half, he screened the people entering the gates, waiting for his person of interest. At last, she did arrive... with a guy by her side, shrieking like a banshee.

'Kyungsoo, I'm telling you! We need to watch Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them AT THE THEATRE... not on TV! We won't miss the awesomeness then, like what happened with The Dark Knight Rises and—'

But the puny boy's monologue was cut short by Chanyeol stepping right in front.

'You?! What do you want?' snarled Kyungsoo, as stone faced as she could ever be.

'Just wanted to say hi to my friend!' beamed Chanyeol.

'Oh, hello!' mocked Kyungsoo in a melodious voice,'If that's enough, I suggest it's time for you to shoo!'

But Chanyeol wouldn't give up so easily. He continued,

'Who's this? Your boyfriend?' 

'Incorrect. He's my neighbour and my best friend whose time you don't deserve.'

'What?! No!' cried the boy from the sidelines, his voice piercing their ears, 'I'm sorry Kyungsoo but unlike you, I would actually like some social interaction! Hi, my name is Byun Baekhyun by the way.'

Chanyeol took the boy's extended hand and shook it sincerely, while Kyungsoo stood by, glaring a million daggers at her bestie. He quietly wondered how they're even friends. 

'Baekhyun, you fool! You can't just trust him...'

'Awww Soo, he just wants to be friends!' whined Baekhyun, to which Chanyeol showed off his famous puppy pout. Rolling her eyes in disgust, Kyungsoo marched away, leaving them behind. With a smile, Baekhyun quipped,

'She's like that to everyone. Quite frankly, she's just tolerating me.'

Chanyeol laughed at that. Yet the will to break down Do Kyungsoo's barbed fences just grew stronger.

 

'Why is he sitting with us?' complained Kyungsoo, setting down her sandwich and fruit on the table, all the while watching Chanyeol smirk at her.

'Don't be rude, Soo! I was just telling Chanyeol here about your amazing fanfics,' cooed Baekhyun with a wink.

'I heard it makes even straight guys go gay?' teased Chanyeol. Kyungsoo ignores him but the slight blush on her cheeks does not go unnoticed by Chanyeol.

Lunch break went by with Chanyeol listening to Baekhyun's rants and Kyungsoo eating in silence. From out of the blue, Baekhyun came up with a suggestion.

'If it's not a problem, we could go to that cafe down the street after school.'

'Actually, I do have a problem. You know my dad won't let me go...' replied Kyungsoo.

'Pweeease Soo?'

But Kyungsoo had heard enough. She roughly got up and stated icily,

'Not with him!'

And with that, she turned away on her heel and left. A few moments of shock passed by before Baekhyun shot Chanyeol an apologetic smile.

'Her dad's kind of...'

'Strict. Yeah, I figured.'

 

After the last bell had rung, Kyungsoo silently slipped past the corridors and from out of nowhere, she felt a firm grip on her hand and then being pulled to a warm body. Without even having to look up, she asked,

'Getting into a habit are we, oh great serial harrasser?'

But Chanyeol's deadpan face made her falter in her thoughts. 

'Hear me out, Kyungsoo. If it's alright with your dad, I want you to hang out with Baekhyun at that cafe. I really don't want to be a hindrance to your friendship with him. That  wouldn't be right.' 

'B-but why? What does that even matter to you?'

'Isn't that the least I can do for my friend?' replied Chanyeol, his eyes gentler, 'Well, he's waiting outside. Send him my apologies.'

Without a word, she dropped her hands to her side, slowly turning away as she usually does. But this time, a small smile played on Kyungsoo's lips.

Chanyeol had to admit that, if it was possible, she looked even prettier when she smiled.

Later in the cafe, as Baekhyun hogged onto a cherry pastry, talking about how nice it would be to have a friend like Chanyeol, Kyungsoo could only hum in response as she sipped on her lemon tea, lest she accidentally agreed to something she didn't yet want to admit.