The First Meeting

A Beautiful Enigma

Chanyeol swore that he had never seen anything so extraordinary before. 

It all started with AP Biology. Park Chanyeol rubbed his eyes and yawned like a hippo for the umpteenth time, when class had just begun a few minutes ago. He hated Biology but even more the teacher, Mr. Lee. The man's droning was making him drowsy. He checked his black wristwatch lazily. 45 minutes more? thought Chanyeol, cursing inwardly. In no time, he was fast asleep on his textbook, face mushed against the book. 

'Park Chanyeol!' came a sharp voice from above said person's head. Chanyeol felt his elf ears being pulled up.  

'Owwie! That hurtsssss!!!!' whined Chanyeol, watching as the entire class turned to laugh at him. 

'How many times should I pull you out for snoozing in class?' scolded the teacher.

'But it's your fault you're boring as hell!' blurted Chanyeol, only to immediately cover his mouth with a large hand. The silence was deafening. After a moment of shock, Mr. Lee adjusted his glasses and whispered in a deathly tone, 

'Detention till four. Meet me at the Biology lab.'

Chanyeol knew he was screwed for an hour in hell.

                         

'I'm telling you man! I have detention so I won't be there for practice...' huffed Chanyeol irritatedly.

'Chill, PCY. I get it. Just don't make detention a habit, okay?' teased Yifan, the captain of the school's basketball team.

'Yeah sure,' replied Chanyeol, 'I've got to go now. Talk to you later.'

He then quickly stuffed his phone into his bag and headed to the lab. He came in for detention without acknowledging Mr. Lee and slumped into the nearest chair. 

'Where are the others?' he asked, opening his textbook for some studying.

'There's just one more student,' was the reply. Then everything went silent. However much he tried, he couldn't concentrate on the book in front of him. Chanyeol's mind was running with images of his teammates enjoying themselves when he too could've been with them, shooting through hoops, gaining points, receiving praises and-—

'Sir!' came a sharp yet mild voice from the doorway. 

Chanyeol's head shot up and his heart leapt at the sight that met him. A girl, half his height, with her black wavy hair pulled into two short plaits stood there. Neatly ironed uniform. Black shoes shining with polish. Roundish face with a sharp chin and a small button nose. Petal pink lips set into a deep scowl. And big beautiful eyes filled with murderous intent, lined by furrowed eyebrows.

Chanyeol swore that he had never seen anything so extraordinary before. He genuinely felt fear.

'Yes Kyungsoo. Take a seat.'

"Kyungsoo" walked to a seat whilst Chanyeol kept staring at her. But not once did she spare him a look. She quickly took out a few files that were bursting open with papers and began scribbling. And for the rest of the hour, Chanyeol kept sneaking petrified peeks at the small girl. Time flew by and after God knows how long, detention was finally over. The little person got up fast and started stuffing her bag with the files she had. Unbeknownst to her, one sheet of paper flew straight to Chanyeol's foot. He stared at the parchment for a while and then bent forward to pick it up but once he had straightened himself, she had disappeared like a ghost. 

I'm really not supposed to read this, thought Chanyeol eyeing the paper, let me just give it to her and get it over with. But the thing is, Chanyeol never listens to his mind. Which is why he always ends up doing the wrong thing. Curiosity got the better of him and he let his eyes skim over the first line, smiling smugly. 

Only he didn't expect to see that...

 

Chanyeol looked frantic as he dashed through the hallways, flappping the paper about like a vestigial wing on a primitive bird. Out in the ground, his vision caught sight of a small figure trudging away. He immediately bolted towards the person in question as fast as he could and tapped her shoulder, which more or less turned into a shove. 

'Hey!' yelled Kyungsoo, glaring dangerously at the gangly boy.

'You. Left. Something. Behind' stated Chanyeol defensively between breaths.

'Yes...?'

'It's uh... how do I say this...? Your gay fanfiction?' drawled Chanyeol slyly.

To Chanyeol's surprise, Kyungsoo's eyebrows shot into her forehead, eyes growing wider than ever, and a deep crimson shade colouring her cheeks. A complete contrast in Chanyeol's eyes.  Instantly, she snatched it and growled back, 

'Haven't you been taught not to poke your nose into other people's business?'

'I have. But I just don't listen to what others tell me. Kind of an old habit.'

'No wonder you were stuck with detention...'

'Do I need to remind you that you were there as well?' teased Chanyeol, only to earn an eyeroll from Kyungsoo, and then continued,'Why were you in detention anyway?'

'Again. None of your business,' snapped Kyungsoo

'Well then at least make me your business. I'll introduce myself. I'm Park Chanyeol.'

Chanyeol had absolutely no idea why he was acting like a madman but he just knew that he had to get to know her. 

'I don't care.'

'You're Kyungsoo, I presume?'

'Please don't call me by name. You're nothing but a stranger to me...'

' Kim Kyungsoo?

'...'

'Lee Kyungsoo?'

An angry huff followed.

'Is it by any chance Choi Kyungsoo?'

'OH MY GOD! SHUT UP! IT'S DO KYUNGSOO, OKAY? NOW LEAVE ME IN PEACE!!'  she yelled back, punching his arm for good measure. Slowly, she turned her eyes to Chanyeol and with all her evil auras directed at him, she whispered,

'You better not tell anyone about the stories alright?'

The intensity in her orbs makes Chanyeol go breathless. It's strange how she manages to scare him and yet interest him at the same time. In response, he managed to grunt in agreement before she whipped her head around to exclaim,

'Great! Now my dad's here! Let's just pretend we never spoke nor met each other alright?'

Chanyeol saw a grey car coming over in the distance. Taking the opportunity, he cuffed both of Kyungsoo's wrists with his large hand. As expected, Kyungsoo struggled, making the grip go tighter.

'What...do you... think... you're doing?' she managed to huff out.

'Tell me you accept me as your friend and then, I'll let go.'

'You can't do this! This is harrassment! I repeat, YOU'RE NOTHING BUT A STRANGER TO ME!!!'

'Pity' started Chanyeol, watching the advancing car with mock sadness written on his face,'Guess I'll just have to be friends with Mr.Do instead...'

That did it. Kyungsoo stopped struggling and let out a tired sigh.

'Okay. Okay. We are friends now... happy? Now please let go.' She immediately recoiled her hands the moment Chanyeol let go.

'Please tell me you won't go talk to my dad like an idiot,' she pleaded

'Of course not! I'll leave you for now. Sayonara, dear friend.'

Sadly, Kyungsoo doesn't understand the way friendships work because she sent a kick straight to Chanyeol's shin, leaving him limping to hide behind a tree. From there, he watched her solemnly enter the car and leave.

Chanyeol then smiled to himself for having found such a strange acquaintance.