Epilogue

Cat and Mouse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I once observed a cat as it chased a mouse in circles.  The mouse, as if excited by the lively suitor, momentarily stopped to allow for the cat to catch up. 

※ ※ ※

A day passed.  Then two…three…four…five days passed.  With your knees against your chest, you rocked your petite body back and forth.  The broken wooden floors of the abandoned cabin creaked as you moved.

“Chanyeol…” you whispered tearfully.

Where are you?  You promised.  You promised me you would follow right after me. 

Burying your face into your knees, you helplessly sobbed.  It was all your fault.  The first time, you foolishly got yourself hurt, spoiling the plan to leave for Tahiti.  The second time, you stupidly went back for a useless ring.

Dark rings settled under your bloodshot eyes.  You couldn’t sleep and you probably hadn’t eaten for days.  But you couldn’t, even if a plate of fried chicken showed up in front of you, because you needed to know Chanyeol was safe.  Because for that moment, he meant everything to you.

Bringing the back of your hand against your face, you roughly wiped away the remaining tears.  With clenched fists and gritted teeth, you counted down the final minutes of the day.  Six days.  Six days passed.  Biting your lips to prevent it from trembling, you took the lone dagger from your boot.  From the sole of your shoe, you removed a vile filled with dark poisonous liquid.  You flicked the lid off.  The toxic aroma and vapor caused you to belch over in a fit of hacking coughs.  Slowly, you poured the contents onto the base of your dagger.  With one last breath to calm your shaking body, you stood up and jumped out the window.  Today, you were going to find Chanyeol’s whereabouts.  And the easiest way to do so was by going back to SPY Headquarters. 

With your weapon tightly bounded to your hand, you kicked open a vent and slipped into the underground building.  You held your breath as you surveyed the area to make sure no one would ambush you.  When you were sure, you quickly but quietly darted across the hall. 

As soon as you heard footsteps coming your direction, you climbed up onto the wall for refuge.  Legs parted out into a split; you held yourself securely onto the ceiling as if you were a spider.

One second. 

Two second.

Three.

As soon as the female assassin appeared, you lunged yourself forward, clasping your hands over while holding the poisonous dagger against her neck. 

“Where is Chanyeol?!” you barked. 

Her voice was muffled from being gagged so you loosened your hold.

She smirked, “Well…well…if it isn’t the traitor?”

You gritted your teeth and held the pointed tip of your weapon millimeters away from her right eye.

“Where is Chanyeol?!” you repeated. 

“So the mouse came back into the trap…” she mocked.

You growled, dragging the dagger lightly across her cheek to draw a little blood.  But due to the poison, her face crumpled up in pain as her skin began to melt away. 

“One more word other than the answer I want and I will pierce this into your brain,” you threatened.

“Okay.  Okay,” she spoke, wheezing due to the burning.

“Where is Chanyeol?!” you shouted.

“W-What else?  He was finished off,” she stuttered.

Finished off…

Your vision clouded up.

“Finished off?” you asked heartbrokenly.

“They threw his corpse into the ocean,” she answered.

Your heart fell to the pit of your stomach.  Covering your trembling lips, you staggered back.  As you do, your grip released from the female assassin. Taking your break down to her advantage, she impaled you in the stomach with her knife.  You grimaced in pain but made no will to defend yourself. 

Chanyeol was gone.  You couldn’t protect the only thing that mattered to you. 

With a swift kick, she sent your limp body hard against the wall.  Blood rolled down the corner of your lips. 

Kill me then. 

Let’s escape together. 

Her heels clicked as she ascended toward you.  Hovering over you, she bent down and lifted your lifeless body up by your collar.  She spat onto your face.  You don’t even wince.

Chuckling scornfully, she provoked, “He was useless anyway.  What assassin shoots himself in exchange for another person’s freedom?”

What?

“Pathetic,” she jeered. 

You glared into her eyes and kneed her in her stomach.  She staggered back, surprised by your attack.  With your elbow, you knocked her over onto the marble ground. 

“Don’t you dare insult him!” you screamed as you pinned her body against the floor.

“Oh, how sad.  Do you want to join your lover in the depths of Hell?” she laughed. 

Clutching your dagger with both your hand, you mercilessly stabbed her again and again in her face.  She screamed in agony as blood splattered onto your hands.  Her hand clawed into yours but you flung it away.  As the poison began to take affect, her bones appeared from her flesh. 

Chanyeol…let’s escape together.

Through your hazy vision, you could only witness a sickening river of pink soak the floor.  She lay there motionless.  But you could no longer control yourself.  Your trembling hands continued to impale her flesh until her guts spilled out from her abdomen.  Liquid streamed down your face.  You weren’t sure if it was blood or tears. 

Finally, your strength depleted and you let go of your weapon.  The dagger hit the floor with a resonating “ting”.  You fell backward against the wall, crying as your mind raced with images of your best friend – the man who sacrificed his life for your freedom. 

Suddenly, a loud alarm alerted you.

“Intruder.  Intruder,” the telecom spoke.

Immediately, you forced yourself to stand up and fled the crime scene.

It was pouring outside, soaking you from head to toe as soon as you were above ground again.  You ran and ran and ran as you mourned for the lost of your bes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter