Park Chanyeol

Cat and Mouse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I hurt a man who devoted his life to me for someone who would never ever give me a second glance. 

※ ※ ※

When you woke up, you were uncontrollably shivering in the warm embrace of Park Chanyeol.  Every part of your body ached and it almost felt as if you were dumped into an ice bucket of fire.  Chanyeol squeezed your body tightly against his as he lifted the makeshift jacket blanket over your small body. 

“C-cold…cold…” you whimpered.

If it was possible, he pulled you in even closer against his body.  Your head rested comfortably against his chest.  You could feel every breath, every heartbeat, every flow of blood through his veins.  Soon, cold sweat gathered onto your forehead, neck, and collarbone.  Shuddering, you slowly tilted your head up to look at this man who had sacrificed his chance at freedom just for you.  You swallowed in guilt. 

Noticing that you were awake and soundlessly staring at him, Chanyeol tilted down his head.  Automatically, your lips met.  He kissed you softly, your cheek with his thumb.  You passionately returned the kiss.

“I love you,” his deep voice spoke.

“I love you too,” you replied.  “But what are we going to do now that both the cops and SPY are after us?” 

Chanyeol leaned in to peck your lips and then replied, “As long as we are together it doesn’t matter.”  You think a part of your heart ripped into pieces.  

It’s all my fault. 

You closed your eyes and spoke through the tremble of your lips, “I don’t deserve you.  You could have left and been free if it wasn’t for me.”

“Freedom means nothing to me if you’re not there by my side.  Life means nothing to me without you,” he sternly resolved.  Don't do this, Chanyeol-ah...but you selfishly accepted his love once again.

When he furrowed his brows like that and spoke with his utter earnesty, he was the handsomest man alive.  You giggled through your tears.  Reaching up, you laced your fingers around his ears playfully.  He bent down to kiss you again.  With a contented sigh, you closed your eyes and drifted off to sweet slumber in the strong arms of Park Chanyeol. 

—–

A full week passed and by now, SPY would have begun sending assassins to get rid of you two betrayers.  Chanyeol and you hid in one abandoned house after another, running rogue from the organization you both once swore your allegiance to.  Due to your deep bullet wound, you were exceptionally slower than your former days as an assassin.  But Chanyeol was Chanyeol – always the gentleman.  He never rushed you.  In fact, he would purposely slow down to make sure your stitches didn’t come undone.  And it made you guilty for the fact that he always made you walk in front of him so that his tall physique could protect you if anyone attacked from behind. 

Stopping momentarily under a shaded tree, your partner took a bottle of water out of his bag.  He fed you it as if you had injured your hands and you laughed at his pampering.  Chuckling, he took a sip of water as well.  Sitting down comfortably on the forest floor, you rested your head against his broad shoulders. 

“You know…I think spending a lifetime with you wouldn’t be too shabby,” you said gleefully as you laced your fingers through his. 

He threw you a toothy grin and kissed you on top of your head.  You pouted, wrapped your arms around his neck, and kissed him on the lips. 

“Oh…I think someone’s starting to fall for me,” Chanyeol teased, pecking you on the nose. 

Maybe I am…because who wouldn’t?  Who wouldn’t fall for his care, his devotion, his love?  Who wouldn’t? 

“Let me check your wound,” he said.

“No, I’m fine,” you replied but he already lifted your shirt up.

You blushed bright red as you timidly slapped his hand.  Chuckling at your shyness, he draped his arms around you from behind.    

With a smirk, he joked, “Wow, when did the world renown femme fatale get so shy?”

Your heart fluttered.  With a raised brow and a look of amusement, you spun around and pulled on his neck.  His minty breath washed over your cheeks as you tiptoed to a kiss but your efforts were cut short.  From your left, a suspicious ruffling sound alerted your attention.  You peered up at Chanyeol and from his stern expression and darting pupils, you were sure he heard it too. 

Taking your hand into his, you two began to run.  Branches and twigs crumpled under your feet.  As you closed in on a harbor, Chanyeol frantically pushed you to hide in a small boat.  Despite your constant plea for him to stop playing your human shield, his arms stubbornly held onto your body.  Two men in full black attire appeared from the forest; their darkened eyes scanned the area for any traces of your presence.  You held your breath.  When they do not discover you two, the assassins retreated back into the forest.  Chanyeol let out a sigh of relief.  A film of sweat formed on his forehead.  Smiling lovingly at him, you dug into your pockets for tissue.  But it wasn’t there.  In fact, your pockets were empty – flipped inside out.  You gasped.  Chanyeol turned to you with a look of worry.

“What’s wrong?” he asked?

“It’s gone.  It’s gone!” you spoke, digging through your other pockets.

“What is?” he questioned.

“The ring.  It’s gone!” you panicked. 

“Ring?”

Ignoring him, you climbed out of the boat and began searching near the harbor.  When it wasn’t there, you began to head back into the forest.

“________ah, it’s dangerous in there!” he warned, following you behind but you were stubborn.  Your chest tightened more and more every second that passed without the ring in your possession.

Bending down low, you practically sniffed the forest floor for any signs of a blue velvet box.  You lifted rocks, kicked over branches

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter