Decoy

Cat and Mouse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Because I…I choose to be a replacement because then…at least then I am something…because at least then I exist. 

※ ※ ※

You weren’t sure how long you stayed still with your lips against his.  This was the least you could do for this man who had constantly protected you with his own life, showering you with love that you didn’t deserve.  The taste of metal crept into your mouth.  Chanyeol separated the kiss.  His thumb your lower lip, wiping away the trail of blood. 

“Do you mean it?” he asked.

Do I? 

You nodded.  Chanyeol wrapped his arms around you. 

“Let’s escape together from here,” he whispered into your ears and your eyes widened.

“How?  SPY will hunt us down,” you whispered back. 

Chanyeol parted his lips to respond but smacked them shut as soon as he heard footsteps ascending toward your way.  your bruised cheek, he gave you a reassuring smile.

“We will talk about it later,” he said. 

You stared at him with fear in your eyes.  Did he really mean it?  Both of you knew how impossible that task would be. 

With quivering lips, you spoke, “They will kill us.”

“Shh…” Chanyeol warned as the footsteps got closer. 

But you ignored him, “We will die.” 

I can’t let you die.  Tears welled up at the corner of your eyes. 

“Chanyeol…” you called.

“Shh…” he shushed again, but you are stubborn.  He smacked his lips onto yours to quiet you down.  A stream of liquid trailed down your cheeks, soaking up the bandage that wrapped around your wound. 

A SPY assassin appeared from the hallway and snickered seeing you two.

As soon as she left, Chanyeol placed his forehead against yours and said, “Then we die together.” 

As you threw your arms around your best friend, you’re not sure why…in the back of your mind all you could see was the glittering orbs of a certain sergeant. 

—–

Two weeks passed in the blink of an eye.  Chanyeol and you spent the passed weeks devising a plan to successfully escape from the organization.  He had planned to board a cargo ship to Tahiti promptly at 5pm.

You stared at your watch.  It read 3pm, which meant in less than two hours you would be free from the miserable life of being surrounded by dying hearts and bloody hands.  But, for some reason you weren’t happy.  Was it fear?  Or was it longing? 

Unknowingly, you discovered yourself on a rooftop, spying on Luhan as he stood guard at the city hall entrance.  Beside him, Seyu leaned in and whispered something into his ear.  You clenched your fist.  What was this sour feeling you felt in your chest every time you saw them together? 

With a sigh, you bit your lip and turned to leave.  But your eyes narrowed and you stood still.  From a roof, across the street, you spotted a suspicious figure in full black.  On his back was a large sack, big enough to hold a rifle.  Biting your fingernail, you tried to recall where you had seen him before. 

Leader.

You panicked.  But why would he be here?  For Luhan?  No, that couldn’t be because he was your prime target.  Which could only mean that he was after Seyu.  Your conclusion seemed plausible especially since the previous assassin failed the mission. 

Pacing around, you tried to devise a plan to warn them.  But you halted in place.

“Let’s escape together…” Chanyeol’s voice sounded in your mind. 

You bit your tongue. 

“Sorry…” you whispered to no one in particular. 

Within moments, you’re at the corner of the city hall.  Patiently, you waited, eyeing both Luhan and Leader.  As soon as Seyu left his side, you grabbed Luhan by the arm, dragging him into the shadow with you.  Reflexively, the sergeant twisted your arm on your back and pushed you against the wall.  You whimpered in pain. 

“_______ _______?  Why are you here?” he asked, his grip loosened.

“SPY is after Kim Seyu,” you hastily spoke.

Scoffing, he stuffed his hands into his pocket and turned around to leave.  You grabbed his wrist, pulled out a compact mirror and reflected it up at the rooftop.  The sergeant eyes flickered at the image that appeared in the reflection.  He looked at you for confirmation and you nodded. 

“I’ll be decoy.  Get Kim Seyu out of here,” you surprised both yourself and Luhan with your suggestion.

Perhaps, you were imagining it but you swore you saw a hint of worry appear on his face.

You leaned against the wall, keeping your eyes locked on every move your Leader made.  He now had his sniper rifle set up, which only meant his offensive attack would happen in the matter of a few minutes. 

You sighed in relief when Luhan returned with Seyu beside him. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter