Heartbeat

Cat and Mouse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I, _______ ________, swear to serve under SPY Organization for eternity.”

Who knew one sentence, could affect someone’s life forever.  The day I said those words, my nightmare began.  It was the day my fate was decided.  An eye for an eye.  I was a killer.  And I would be killed one day.  I ended people’s happiness.  And one day…someone would end my misery.  Everyday…I wait…wait for that someone to appear.  Until then, I am to live in this nightmare of torturous facades and suppressed tears.

※               ※                 ※

Your long black hair flowed like ocean waves as you ran as fast as you could, away from Luhan.  Your heart fluttered with excitement and a chill of wonder.  Sinfully, you turned your head to take a short peep at his location.  Your eyes widened in amazement – not because he was just steps behind you, but because his face expressed such determination and anger.  It frightened you, but you were intrigued.  Something about this man made you confused.  He was your enemy, but you didn’t hate him. 

“Hey, Slowpoke!  Is that all you’ve got?” you teased, glancing back to look at his expression again.

So much emotion ran through his liquid warm eyes.  Never in your life had you seen such emotions.  You were an assassin – a murderer – a corpse with no emotions.  At least that’s what you were taught to be.  Shaking your head, you dismissed the thoughts.  You continued to run, turning onto an alley. 

Uh oh. 

Your eyes widened.  Dead end.  You cursed under your breath.  As you reached the metal gates that blocked your escape, you jumped up, ready to climb.  However, a hand roughly grabbed you by your arm and dragged you down.  You gasped and gulped.  No.  Wrong.  I am not scared.  I am fearless…He pinned you to the wall and took out his badge.

“I am Sergeant Luhan.  ________ ________, evidence shows that you are linked with a homicide.  Please cooperate and follow me back to the police station.  From this point on, everything you say will be recorded,” he spoke.  His eyes, reflective of the perfect moon, drills into your soul.

Enamoured under his presence, your body buckles in temporary paralysis, as if his sole gaze is enough to control your trained mind.  It startled you and riddled your consciousness.  His tight grip around your wrist forms rings of maroon purple along your skin; hints of perspiration from the contact naturally causes his hold to slip.  And with it, your brief moment under hypnosis - under an illusion of a safe haven falls apart.  You knew you needed to get away.  Your arrest would cause the whole SPY Organization to topple down.  Automatically, your eyes trail down to the dagger that resided in your pocket.  It would be easy to stab him but you felt your muscles grew weak.  You couldn’t…just couldn’t hurt him.  You didn’t know why.  Luhan is my enemy.  Stab him.  You need to get away, _______.  Stab him.  You gritted my teeth, trying to dismiss your subconscious.  Argh.  Do it!

“NO!” you refused aloud.

 With his eyebrows furrowed and eyes in slits, the sergeant inquired, “No, what?”

Ignoring his question, you forced your eyes shut and…kneed him…unfortunately at the worst possible area.  He buckled down to the ground, pain written across his face.  You bit your lip, guiltily.

Taking a few steps forward, you whispered. “A-are you okay?”

He didn’t respond to you, but you knew you couldn’t do anything to help.  Remembering that you had to get away, you paced over to climb the gates again.  Unknowingly, you glanced back at the fallen man.  With an unwilling sigh, you climbed over the metal bars and headed back to SPY Organization’s Headquarters. 

The moment you reached your destination, you sprinted into your room and locked the door.  Placing a hand over your heart, you soundlessly surveyed as a “thump thump” rhythm silences all other melodies of the world.  Pacing heart beats – they were something you never felt before.  You witnessed dying hearts – hearts that beggedto survive, but were eventually terminated under your ruthless hands.  Those were the hearts of your victims.  You didn’t understand why hearts beat.  What purpose did they serve? 

“C1314, Leader wants to see you,” a familiar monotoned voice alerted, from outside your room.

“Okay, I’ll be out in a second,” you replied.

It took you a few minutes to calm your heart.  As soon as you did so, you sautered to the core of the headquarters – your Leader’s room.

“Good evening, Leader,” you greeted.

“_______, where did you go today?” he questioned.

“I was just checking to make sure Yoon Hyebi kept her promise,” you answered.

Tapping his chin, he asked, “Did she?”

“No, Leader.”

“Then, I am sure you know what to do, _______,” my leader said with a smirk.

Nodding, you replied, “Yes, Leader.  Kill her son, Lee Jonghyun.”

Your leader waved his hand, notifying that you were dismissed.  You nodded and stalked off.  Images of Luhan’s pained expression flashed through your mind and you cringed.  I wonder if he’s okay.  No.  Stop.  Stop _______.  Taking a deep breath, you got dressed into a black long-sleeve top and pants.  Skillfully, you attached your dagg

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter