Chapter 19

Am I Alive?

The water left on only slightly from last night continued its slow and careful dripping against the rhythm of the storm beyond the walls. There was a calm and gentle hum of electricity coursing through the pipes and wires, all the while lightning struck a tree only a mile away. It seemed as if it always rained there, and yet it always rained everywhere else, but it was somehow… different. It was really raining. Raining. As if the sky could no longer bear any more burdens, as if the angels finally decided upon spilling their wine glasses, as if God finally gave in and wept. It wasn’t a growing rain, where plants and creatures of all shapes and sizes spring forward to find water. It wasn’t a washing rain, where all the sins from yesterday were erased and forgotten. No… it was a weeping rain, and he could feel it in his bones. The ache and agony he knew all too well, for the tears falling from the sky were not God’s alone, but his own.

“Jem?” Jimin’s voice whispered over the thunder.

Looking up, he met his friend’s gaze, and even then, under that mask he had put on, he could see his friend’s remorse. “Yeah?”

Swallowing hard, Jimin leaned against the doorframe, “Um… I’ve been thinking…”

“About Rose?” the words fell through his lips before he had even thought of saying them.

“Yeah,” letting out a shaky laugh, Jimin looked away, “I just… I don’t want you to get the wrong idea.”

His brow furrowed slightly, “What do you mean?”

“I know how much she means to you,” Jimin spoke slowly and carefully, as if his feet were to tread upon broken glass, “And I know that she cares for you too- don’t tell me that I’m wrong, because I can see it.”

Nodding slowly, Jungkook stared down at the palms of his hands, “But?”

“But,” Jimin continued slowly, “I don’t want this to get in between you and me. I’m not backing down, but I’m not giving up a brother either.”

The corners of his lips curved upwards slightly, “I feel the same way.”

Strolling before his friend, Jimin held out a hand, “May the best man win?”

“Agreed,” Jungkook took his hand in a tight grasp, and it seemed that within that handshake, an old war had ended while starting a new one.  

***

“Attention!” the head official ordered, staring coldly at the prisoners lined up before her, “Everyone is to return to their rooms except the performers. If I hear as much as a peep before our guests leave, every single one of you will be punished.” Nodding to the guards, she watched as the prisoners filed out of the room and into the hallways in held silence. Once the room was cleared, she turned to the seven left behind, “I trust you know what you’re doing?”

All seven of them nodded curtly.

“Good,” checking the time on her watch, she straightened up her posture only slightly, “Our guests should be arriving any moment now. You may stand backstage, while I greet our guests. Understood?” With that, she marched off down the halls.

Letting out a breath of relief, Jungkook groaned, “God, could she be more uptight?”

“More than usual,” rolling his shoulders, Jimin scoffed, “Would it hurt her to relax once in awhile…”

“That would definitely kill her.”

“‘Death by sleep,’” Jimin laughed, “I wouldn’t be surprised if Monkey end up that way-”

“Hey,” Rose’s quiet voice cut the two of them off.

“Hey, Rose!” they answered in unison.

“Um…” she bit her lip, taken aback by their enthusiasm, “So… are you ready?”

“Nope,” Jimin rocked back and forth on the balls of his feet, “But they won’t know that. I mean, if I trip and fall, that could just be part of the dance, right?”

Laughing, Jungkook shook his head, “I doubt you’d pull it off though.”

“I would definitely pull it off-”

“Nope-”

“Hey-”

“It’s true-”

“Would you look at that,” a voice sneered behind them.

Whirling around, Jungkook and Jimin stared in mixed shock and disgust at the girl smirking before them.

“The white snake managed to catch both of you,” Danika examined the cuticles of her nails, “So. Who’s the unlucky guy-”

“Shut up,” Jimin rolled his eyes, “This doesn’t have anything to do with her.”

“Wow, we’re not even allowed to be friends?” raising an eyebrow, Jungkook crossed his arms.

“Why don’t we ask her?” Danika shot a smug look at the girl behind the two boys.

Turning slightly to glance at Rose, he shook his head, “She doesn’t-”

“Actually,” Rose spoke up, voice shaking slightly, “I chose myself.”

Frowning in surprise, Danika scoffed, “What?”

Shrugging, Rose stepped forward, “How can you love someone if you don’t love yourself?”

“What’s that suppose to mean?!”

“Before I choose anyone, I want to learn how choose myself first,” Rose explained, “Maybe you should try it. It’s quite invigorating.”

“Tch…” with that, Danika stormed off.

“Damn…” Jungkook muttered under his breath.

“I guess we don’t have to protect you anymore,” Jimin laughed, touching her shoulder lightly.

Smiling, Rose shook her head, “I’m strong enough by myself. I don’t want to drag both of you into it.”

“But-”

The distant clicking of heels against the white tiles of the hallway rang throughout the small theater. A wave of anxiety and nervousness washed over the prisoners as the footsteps slowly grew louder, and the small conversation between the guests became heard.

“-here we are,” the head official swung the door open, and a small group of men entered the room.

“Thank god,” Jimin let out a breath of relief, “There’s no women this time.”

“What do you mean?” Rose whispered without move her gaze from the guests.

“Believe it or not,” Jimin’s face was steely cold, and yet his voice shook, “The woman are the most… interested.”

Frowning slightly, Rose opened to respond only to close it once more. The head official marched over to the seven prisoners with a stern look about her face before announcing, “Welcome to Barrack Twenty-Three!” plastering a smile across her lips, the head official continued, “There are four performances planned, and as you can see, these are some of our best students.”

“Tch,” Yoongi scoffed, “You mean prisoners.”

“We’ll start off with Kim Danika,” stepping off to the side, she allowed Danika to come forward rather smugly.

“Good afternoon, gentlemen,” Danika said smoothly, “I will be performing ‘Somewhere Over The Rainbow.’ It’s an English classic, and I’ve been working on it for three years to perfect it.”

Rose choked back a laugh, “Three years?!”

Jimin, Jungkook, and Yoongi shot a glance at her through the corners of their eyes, “What?”

“That’s a little kid’s song,” she whispered, “It’s a classic, but definitely not worth spending that much t-”

“Somewhere, over the rainbow-”

Jimin cracked a smile, “For you, maybe, but she needs all the time she can get.”

 

“And for our final performance, would Park Jimin and Jeon Jungkook please step forward?”

Taking a deep breath, Jungkook stole a glance at his two friends behind him. His heart beat just a little faster when the corners of her lips curved upwards. Slightly.

“You ready?” Jimin whispered under his breath.

“One hundred percent,” Jungkook set his jaw, and the pair took their places on stage.

There was a click of the switch, and the music softly wormed its way around the room. The two moved with grace, grasping at the air and letting go of the ground. They were in a different world… a completely different universe. One filled with sunlight rather than rain, music rather than silence, happiness rather than hate. There was no time to count as money, and the worries either had felt perhaps a second ago were gone. All they heard, and felt, and breathed was the music driving their bodies. For no matter the circumstances or the walls towering over them, they were free. Free.

The music ended, and both seemed to wake up from their trance. It was over. Again.

“Excellent,” the head official nodded curtly, “Now then, shall we finish the tour-”

“Hold on,” a familiar voice rumbled throughout the room, “The girl. May I see her?”

The head official forced a smile, “Danika? Or-”

“No, no,” the man stepped forward, and Jem caught his breath, “The violinist.”

“Rose,” the official raised her eyebrows, “Well, um… of course. Miss Rose!” she ordered quickly.

Mouth parted in surprise, Rose stepped forward in silence.

“Ah… yes,” the man nodded, “How much?”

“Pardon?” the official blinked.

“How much for her?” the man repeated, “I must say, I haven’t heard music quite like that in years.”

Rose shot Jimin and Jungkook a look, fearfully shaking her head.

“Ah, um… yes, of course,” the official swallowed hard, “Well, she isn’t for sale, you see-”

“You misunderstand me,” the man answered sourly, “I will have her, understood.”

“Yes, sir,” the head official recoiled, “Um… 1,000,000 Won should do.”

“Good, good,” the man dug into his pocket to draw out a thick wad of cash, “I’ll collect her after the tour.”

The official nodded slowly, “Well then… shall we continue?” and with that, the guests and the head official disappeared through the door once more.

“W-what’s happening?” Rose’s voice shook just as much as her body was.

“That was the President of Korea,” Jungkook spoke quietly, “You’re free, Rose. He bought you out.”

“W-what?! I can’t leave!” she wheezed, “We have to get out together-”

“Rose,” Jungkook held her by the shoulders, “You have to take this chance. You need to be free.”

“But-”

“Rose. There’s nothing to be done now.”

Tears trickled down the corners of her eyes, and as she moved her sleeve up to wipe them, she set her jaw, “I’ll find a way to get you out. All of you.”

“That’s not-”

“I’m not forgetting you,” Rose whispered, “I can’t.”

Smiling a little, Jungkook stood back, “I’ll hold you to that promise.”

She nodded, and turned to Jimin- only to find him staring off in the direction of the door, “Jimin? What’s wrong?”

Swallowing hard, Jimin turned to face her, “That… that was my dad.”