Meeting the new guy

The prince, the lone wolf and the girl who played with fire

Your POV:

He had light brown hair that was slightly covering his thick eyebrows. His eyes were big and dark and the look on his face rather serious and maybe even bored, you could see that he wasn’t at all excited to be here.

“That’s it!”, Jenny said excitedly. “He’s the perfect person. I’ve never seen him before. And he’s good-looking too, so that’s a bonus!”

“Here, take this cup and offer him a drink”, Hyerin said and forced a plastic cup with beer in your hand. “Alright, go!”, both of them pushed you in his direction.

You looked around nervously. Jin was at the other side of the room joking around with his mates. Your friends were behind you giving you a thumps up and smiling encouragingly. Slowly you walked towards the new guy. He was still standing in the doorway, scanning the room with his eyes, still not looking excited. You noticed that he was a lot taller than you expected. Gathering all your courage you started talking to him.

 

“Um... hello! Are you new? I’ve, um, never seen you before. Do you want a drink?” You smilingly held up the cup of beer to his face and felt how you blushed. This was stupid. He must think that you are either slightly crazy or just a real player. Not that it mattered to you what he thought but still, embarrassing yourself in front of people was not something you enjoyed.

He looked you over without showing any emotions. You felt yourself get even more nervous. What was wrong with this guy. To your surprise he suddenly took the cup you were offering and said: “Thanks, I was thirsty anyway.”

Before he drank, however, he eyed the cup and then eyed you. “I hope this is not spiked?”

“What?”, you couldn’t really grasp what he was talking about.

“You know”, he said with his surprisingly deep and velvety voice, “drugs and stuff you put into drinks to knock people out and take advantage of them.”

Was he being serious? “Oh, um... no”, you stuttered, “haha, of course not. It’s just beer.”

“Okay then”, he said and downed the whole cup in one go. You looked at him with big eyes. He was looking around the room, not saying anything, when he suddenly frowned. You turned around to find Jin looking at the two of you. Yes, your plan seemed to work.

“So”, you turned back to the new guy, “what’s your name?”

“Why?”, he asked back.

“Just because you know, isn’t it a given to ask someone’s name when you first meet them?”, you pouted a little and tried to sound cute. If you had seen yourself like that you would have probably thrown up in your mouth a little.

He sighed. “Fair enough. My name’s Taehyung. Kim Taehyung.”

“I’m Lee Mina”, you said and smiled. “Nice to meet you!”

“Mhmn”, he just shortly nodded.

“How come I’ve never seen you on campus before? Are you new?”, you tried to make smalltalk.

“More or less. I was studying in the US but had to come back to Korea and transferred to this university.”

“Oh that’s cool”, you said feigning interest. “Did you like the US?”

“It was okay”, he shrugged his shoulders.

Why did this have to be so hard? Couldn’t he just respond normally and have a bit of a conversation with you?

“So, um, do you know anyone at this party? Did someone here invite you?”

“Hm, yeah, but I think I shouldn’t have come.”, he replied vaguely. “That’s why I think I’m gonna go now.”

He was about to turn around and leave. No, you thought. You still hadn’t reached your goal. You noticed, that Jin was close by. This was your chance. You grabbed Taehyungs arm, before he could leave. “Wait!”

He turned back to you with a confused look.

“I want to… Do you… Can we meet again?” You tried to look extra cute and used your other hand to twirl a lock of your hair between your fingers. Quickly you added: “How about this Sunday?” You knew you probably looked really stupid and needy but you didn’t have time to think about it. He was probably going to refuse anyway but it didn’t matter. The important thing was that Jin heard you ask another guy out.

Taehyung was still staring at you with his pokerface and you couldn’t really understand what was going on in his head. He was probably thinking about what to do with a nutcase like you.

To your surprise he suddenly smiled. “Alright,” he said. “Where and when do you want to meet?”

 

 

Taehyung’s POV: 
(Authors note: yes, that's basically the same story again but from his view. I'm not going to do this very often, but I promise that this one will be interesting)

He entered the room of the party. Why did he even bother coming? Maybe this was not a good idea. The music was really loud and there were too many people he didn’t know, too many drunk people too. He scanned the room. There in the corner was Seokjin with his usual squad and being surrounded by a whole bunch of girls trying to flirt with him. Yeah, this was a bad idea.

A girl’s voice next to him suddenly caught his attention.

“Um... hello! Are you new? I’ve, um, never seen you before. Do you want a drink?”, she said looking all embarrassed and holding a cup of beer under his nose.

Taehyung watched the girl closely. She was pretty cute but he probably wouldn’t have noticed her if she hadn’t spoken. Why did she offer him a drink? Did she know him? But she just said that she had never seen him before. He saw two other girls a couple of meters away watching the girl and himself closely. Was she trying to flirt with him? Maybe she was drunk.

He was not going to reject her offer though, as it meant that he could stay close to the door a bit longer and didn’t have to fully enter the party, so he just took the cup and said: ““Thanks, I was thirsty anyway.” Before he drank he checked out the drink and the girl again. “I hope this is not spiked?”, he asked half-jokingly. He didn’t expect it to be spiked but maybe these girls or someone in this room was trying to pull a prank on him and this wasn’t even beer or there was something disgusting in the beer or…

“What?”, the girl looked really confused.

“You know, drugs and stuff you put into drinks to knock people out and take advantage of them”, he said and watched the reaction of the girl closely. This was his way of joking around but at the same time it was his way of testing people.

She looked like she wasn’t sure if he was joking or not but wasn’t blushing and sounded sincere when she stuttered “Oh, um... no, haha, of course not. It’s just beer.”

It definitely smelled and looked like beer, so he just said “Okay then” and downed the cup. There was no weird taste, just beer. Argh, was this his plan, to get drunk at this party? Getting drunk was definitely not a good idea, who knows what he would say or do later. But staying sober was an even worse idea. He looked around the room again and saw that Seokjin was watching him.

“So, what’s your name”, the girl in front of him asked.

“Why?”, he simply replied. He was getting a bit tired of the whole situation.

“Just because you know, isn’t it a given to ask someone’s name when you first meet them?”, the girl said with an overly forced cute voice and pouted her lips. Taehyung supressed laughing. She was definitely trying to flirt with him (even though unskilfully) and he had no idea why. He sighed. Telling her his name was okay, it’s not like she knew who he was anyways. “Fair enough. My name’s Taehyung. Kim Taehyung.”

The girl smiled brightly at his response. “I’m Lee Mina. Nice to meet you!”

He wasn’t interested in her overly forced conversation, so he just replied with a “Mhmm”, but the girl didn’t give up.

“How come I’ve never seen you on campus before? Are you new?”

“More or less.”, he replied shortly to just not be a complete , “I was studying in the US but had to come back to Korea and transferred to this university.”

“Oh that’s so cool”, the girl said with an exciting voice, but Taehyung could hear that she didn’t really mean it. “Did you like the US?”

“It was okay”, he just shrugged without looking at her.

Seemed like Mina was still not getting the message though as she continued: “So, um, do you know anyone at this party? Did someone here invite you?”

Taehyung saw that Seokjin was walking in his direction. The last thing he felt like doing right now was having a conversation with him, so he quickly said to the girl: “Hm, yeah, but I think I shouldn’t have come. That’s why I think I’m gonna go now.” He was about to turn and leave, when someone grabbed his arm and shouted “Wait!”.

Confused he looked at Mina, who seemed slightly embarrassed but also somehow determined and who stuttered something about wanting to meet him again while looking at him with big eyes, biting her lip and twisting her hair with her finger. She looked really cute and really stupid at the same time. “How about this Sunday?”, she asked.

Out of the corner of his eyes he saw the two girls he had seen earlier watching them intently and looking all eager and excited. Maybe this was a bet, he thought. Or maybe the girl, Mina, lost a bet and now she has to do everything the two girls over there told her.

Whatever the truth was this girl was trying to play games with him. And he hated people who played games with other people. So he was going to play his own little game with her. He smiled, thinking that this might turn into fun. “Alright. Where and when do you want to meet?”