New Coffee Order

Coffee Shop

The tension was heavy between Mingyu and Wonwoo, they barely spoke and if they did, it would solely center around their work that night. Wonwoo gave off a cold aura while Mingyu's patience was boiling in the pit of his stomach. Mingyu would give resentful glances and Wonwoo would just stay stoic. Mingyu was bothered even when he knew that he didn't have the right to be mad about something he is not a part of, he knew that he didn't have any right to feel jealous of whatever Wonwoo and Jihoon's relationship may be.

Yet, Mingyu felt scared. Despite his confidence, he was scared to be rejected. Everything was a mess inside his head, even when he was currently taking orders and serving coffee, his mind would always think about the events that happened a few hours ago. The feeling of not knowing something that might ruin his chances with the guy he likes irked him. Especially when that reason seem to resemble his co-worker who knows something that he does not. Jeon Wonwoo on the other hand was not looking forward to explaining everything. As far as emotions go, he was still too sensitive to talk about the subject, but he knew very well that he shouldn't act this way. After all, Wonwoo was the reason why Jihoon reacted in such a way.

The overwhelming feeling of regret and the way his heart felt incomplete as the pieces of the past continued to haunt him made him hurt even more. Even when he closes his eyes he could still make out the tears that fell from Jihoon's face not too long ago. Everything felt so familiar for him and he didn't want to admit to anything yet, but Wonwoo knew questions were coming as soon as their shift ends. He looked at the clocked, it was already nine. He cursed inside of his head as he looked to his side to find Mingyu. 

Mingyu mostly had a bright expression on his face, yet this time he was looking at Wonwoo with sterness in his expression. He knew that Wonwoo's aware of the time, with clenched jaws Mingyu held up his thumb and pointed over his shoulder. Wonwoo was hesitant but he  followed Mingyu to the back, he could feel his junior's dark atmosphere but still he bit his tongue and kept quiet. As soon as they were out of sight, Mingyu turned around, crossed his arms as he stared at Wonwoo, eyes telling him to speak up and explain everything. 

Wonwoo felt his brain go numb, he was trying to recall everything that he knew but still, he felt his mouth dry and the back of his head to heat up. He looked into Mingyu's eyes and heaved a burdened sigh. With his white nimble fingers, he ran them through his ravenous hair before saying, "Jihoon and I... used to date."

The words that Mingyu feared escaped his co-worker's lips. He was definitely sure he went deaf for a minute, trying to process how the two of them had an intimate relationship.He could feel the beat of his heart pound inside of him and shake his vision, he nervously gulped, afraid to know more but he also wanted to find out the reason why Jihoon reacted to him in such a manner. Why Jihoon broke down in tears and why Jihoon looked so beautifully pained whenever he comes by the shop.

"We met during college." Wonwoo rubbed the back of his neck to ease his tense joints, "I fell in love with him. He was in my history class and he would always fall asleep, I woke up from my nap in that class and I saw his sleeping face... and well, I guess you know what happened next."

Mingyu bit his lip, trying to stay as calm as possible. Hearing Jihoon's past with Wonwoo made his heart hurt and his insides whirl with dread. "For... For how long?"

"4 years..." Wonwoo's memories about him and Jihoon came to light once more, "We were together for four years, we lived in an apartment just near here..."

"So I guess... you got a job here to earn some money to pay your rent?" Mingyu asked wearily.

"Yes.." Wonwoo sighed out, looking back, he was blinded by the future, he was blinded by his selfishness, he was unable to see Jihoon's love. "He would always order Americano.... It was the first thing I learned when I was training here. It tasted awful, but Jihoon continued to encourage me until I got better at it."

"I see..." Mingyu knew he was setting himself up for more heartbreak, but he didn't want to leave the strings unknotted. "So what went wrong?"

Wonwoo clicked his tongue as the memories of the past came flooding back to him. The only thing he didn't want to talk about, the only thing he was scared to put to words, he was hoping Mingyu wouldn't ask but it was inevitable. He looked to his side with his brows bunch together, Mingyu noticed the resentment that Wonwoo wore on his face, he could tell Wonwoo still had feelings for Jihoon.

"...Life.." Wonwoo's voice cracked a bit, he felt suffocated yet the cold air was breezing through the two of them, "Life happened." Wonwoo closed his eyes, he wasn't sure whether the cold air dried his eyes out and made him tear up or the feelings of looking back at something he was used to be happy with made him that way but he could feel his nose get stuffy and his throat get tighter.

Mingyu felt a bit sorry, he looked at his co-worker who was obviously hurting, yet he stayed quiet, no matter how Wonwoo was feeling, Mingyu wanted to be selfish and know what actually happened.

"It was my fault." Wonwoo felt like his throat was being punctured by barbed wires, "I drifted apart... Jihoon's eyes that were looking at me so intently.... I looked past them...I broke up with him, I thought that it was the right thing to do, since back then I thought there was no love between us anymore...but I was surprised.. When I moved out of the apartment, Jihoon continued to stop by the coffee shop and order the drink I was bad at."

Mingyu felt the cold air on his skin, but he barely shivered. His fists that's been holding on to his suppressed emotions trembled, the teeth that tightly clenched loosened and the glare that he's been holding softened. Mingyu was a fool, and he admitted it. He looked at Wonwoo who barely made eye contact and felt sorry for him. He wanted to punch Wonwoo for wasting Jihoon's time day by day.

"Why didn't you tell Jihoon to never come again?" Mingyu asked.

"Because... " Wonwoo held his breath for a minute before sighing out, "Because I want to see him everyday..."

"Why?" Mingyu asked coldly this time, it baffled him how this person who claimed to have cut his relationship with the person he likes say that he wants to see the man everyday.

"Don't.." Wonwoo croaked.

"I asked you, hyung.." Mingyu growled a bit, "Why?"

"Mingyu-ah.. it's best not to--"

"Why? Why do you want to see Jihoon everyday when you told me yourself that you broke up with him?" Mingyu raised a brow, he felt gutted to act so cold, he felt like his body was going numb from everything that was happening. In front of him was the reason why Jihoon left and he wanted to get ahead and tell him that Jihoon was better off with hm but something inside of him felt sympathetic. Mingyu could only imagine the feeling of regret that's been haunting Wonwoo for a while and to think he's been voicing out his intentions to date Jihoon without knowing anything made him feel a bit guilty.

"I LOVE HIM!" Wonwoo shouted, "IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR? I LOVE HIM, OKAY?! I REGRET EVERYTHING!" Everything that's been bottled up inside of him was concentrated in his voice, he didn't care if people looked,everything was just too much and he wanted to at least tell the truth from beginning to end.

Mingyu gave a pained smile, "Then go tell him that when he stops by tomorrow." Mingyu bit his tongue, he wanted to at least look decent as he turned around and made his way to the back door entrance.

"W-Wait, what?" Wonwoo's tight expression loosened, his feelings were a mixture of confusion and being lost at the situation.

"You.." Mingyu gulped as he looked over his shoulder, he wanted to make it quick, he wanted to leave that place and cry in his own room. "Tell Jihoon that you love him... You regret breaking up with him right? ..."

"Why?"

"Because... I just want to see Jihoon happy... " Mingyu said in explanation, "Don't make me regret it, hyung." He didn't waste any time, he didn't want to hear Wonwoo's response, he immediately opened the door and made his way inside, disregarding Wonwoo's plea to wait and explain everything. Mingyu shook his head and laughed at himself, he felt stupid, he was deeply in love with Jihoon to the point of letting his happiness come first.

With weak steps from the coffee shop, now adorned with his casual wear, Mingyu was a dead man walking. The restricting feeling in his chest continued to tighten, Mingyu didn't even bother fixing his hair that's been blown out by the wind, he ignored the passerbys that he'd accidentally stumble from his height, he felt like an empty shell. A part of him regretted his own decision already but he was also preparing himself, he wanted to prepare his heart and maybe that would be his resolution. To see Jihoon happy and smiling so endearingly, he could only wish it was him he was smiling at.

Mingyu pondered his feelings. How those times when he was a barista in training he would enthusiastically wait for Jihoon who would order the usual. How he mustered up the courage to talk to him on a good day, only to have reality spite him with heart break. He hoped that what he was doing could mend his heart. He hoped that being a fool was something he could be proud of. 

He could have made it easier for himself. If Mingyu told off Wonwoo that he could make Jihoon happy, he wouldn't be in such a predicament. But Mingyu didn't roll that way. If he felt something was right even if he was hurting, he would let it be right despite how he feels.

The next morning came, with Mingyu not having a proper shut eye. He stood behind the cashier with a pale face as he aimlessly walked all over the counter, for the first time in his life, he dreaded to look at the clock. But when he dared to have a small peak, oddly enough it was already half pass four. 

He looked over to Wonwoo who looked disappointed but gave a knowing smile to his dongsaeng. Jihoon's absence was expected but Mingyu didn't want to believe that the small guy would skip out on a day. But that day turned into two, and then three and then five.

Mingyu was awfully worried as the sixth day came rolling in. He heaved a heavy sigh, it was almost 3 and at this point he was doubtful Jihoon would ever come back again, when the bell rang Mingyu gave out his uniform greeting, he was about to face the customer with his commercial smile when his face suddenly froze.

"I--.." Mingyu couldn't believe his eyes. Jihoon stood in front of him, 3 o clock on the dot. He was about to continue his sentence when Wonwoo immediately walked out of the counter and go to Jihoon's side.

"Can we talk?" Wonwoo looked hopeful as he placed his hand on Jihoon's shoulder.

Jihoon was hesitant, he didn't know what to do. He felt warmth slowly enveloping his chest and gave a simple nod. Jihoon felt Mingyu's longing eyes but he continued to follow Wonwoo to the corner of the coffee shop. 

Mingyu continued to work yet he was distracted by the sight in the corner unfolding before him. He wasn't too sure what they were talking about but he had an idea what it was. Mingyu could see Jihoon's eyes light up and his cheeks turn bright red. Mingyu could see Wonwoo awkwardly talking, rubbing the back of his neck. He could only guesd that things were going well between the two.

He dragged his body to work, hoping he would at least be busy with customers but his attention always leads back to the two. He gave an exasperated sigh.

"Kim Mingyu you idiot." Mingyu muttered to himself. He looked over to the side once more as he felt his chest tighten.

Jihoon looked into Wonwoo's deep eyes, trying to process everything that Wonwoo told him. Being told by the person you loved the most to be with them again made his heart swell with glee yet it wasn't the same feeling as before.

As he stares into Wonwoo's eyes he realized that those feelings slowly disappeared. Having to recollect his feelings through the days he's been absent from the coffee shop, he came in to a definite conclusion with his self and his emotions.

"Is it no good after all?" Wonwoo asked, somehow he already knew what Jihoon would say.

"Wonwoo-ah..." Jihoon started, "Thank you." He lead his hand to cup Wonwoo's face.

"It's that tall idiot over there, isn't it?" The feeling of Jihoon's warm hand on his face was a flash of nostalgia and bittersweet happiness.

"........" Jihoon looked over to the tall man who was watching them and back to Wonwoo. "Maybe." He gave a small smile.

Wonwoo held their eye contact. Even though he was rejected he felt happy to be in talking terms again. He was looking into the eyes of his beloved and he was happy even if they will never get back together again.

He was making most of the intimacy they had at that moment. Wonwoo pulled Jihoon into his arms, his hand cradling Jihoon's head that rested on his chest while the other hand was placed on the small of Jihoon's back.

"Just--.. let's stay like this..." Wonwoo whispered. It's been so long since he properly held Jihoon. Most of the time he would just look at him from the counter but now he was holding him tightly.

Jihoon stayed quiet. Somehow as he was being embraced, he could feel the familiar warmth Wonwoo had. 

"Lee Jihoon, i love you." Wonwoo whispered, "I feel like I should tell you that..."

"I love you too." Jihoon didn't hesitate to say in response. 

Wonwoo knew it wasn't the same love as before but he was still thankful. 

Mingyu stood there in shock, his mind in shambles, his mouth going dry and his heart starting to ache a little more. He tried to be supportive but being so intimate within his visual range made his heart weak. The two looked awfully comfortable with each other, exchanging warm glances and even hugging each other. He wanted to break the two apart but that meant hurting Jihoon and he didn't want that.

Jihoon looked up to meet Wonwoo's eyes once more but he was taken by surprised by the pair of warm lips that were delicately placed on his forehead. It wasn't too long before Jihoon's features softened. It's been a while since he felt at ease with the person he was embracing. Now everything felt like a proper close to their romantic relationship and he was thankful for that. 

"Sorry... Just had to give you one last kiss before I give you up to that lamp post." Wonwoo chuckled.

He wasn't the type to get all sappy, but the feeling of closing the door to something that's been hurting him for a long time felt good. Jihoon gave a smile before stepping back. Now, he was certain and cleared of his uneasiness. The things that's been bothering him, the things that's been whirling inside of him, everything that may have triggered his hesitance to find love again were gone. 

Mingyu's eyes widened. He could see the small man making his way towards him. His palms started to sweat, his heart was raising, of all the times, Mingyu wished that Jihoon wouldn't come over to his lane. The tall man nervously gulped, trying to keep his expression as normal as possible but the more Jihoon took a step near him the more he wanted to break and hide. 

"...May I take your order?" Mingyu stiffly said out loud once he saw Jihoon open his mouth, he couldn't keep his voice in.

Jihoon watched as Mingyu tried to be as calm as possible. He already understood why Mingyu was acting that way and he found it to be quite interesting. Jihoon wanted to break into laughter but he played along and made a serious looking face as he brought his hand up to his chin as he hummed.

"Hmmm.." Jihoon looked at the menu. 

The more Jihoon scanned the menu behind Mingyu the more Mingyu's whole being continued to quietly shiver in nervousness. He wanted to hide himself, he didn't want to face JIhoon at all.He felt like his feelings would burst out, he was sure he would pathetically cry in front of the man that he loves.

"Can I get..." Jihoon lifted his index finger and pointed at Mingyu, "Can I get you for take out?"

"Alrigh-- Excuse me?" Mingyu's eyes widened, he wanted to make sure he was not hearing things. He looked at the guy across him with bafflement but Jihoon gave a cheshire like smile, amused by his reaction.

"I said..." Jihoon leaned on the counter and propped his elbows comfortably and said, "Can I get you for take out?.... I mean, a large caramel macchiato would be nice too."

Mingyu didn't understand the situation at all, all he knows is that his body is turning red all over. He looked over to where Wonwoo was standing as his co-worker gave a knowing smile and a nod.

"Does that mean..." Mingyu's voice was weak yet he was shivering again, he was shvering out of sheer happiness.

"I'm expecting you and my drink to be served by my usual table." Jihoon gave a warm smile before taking his leave to take his seat.


AN: Finally done :D From Americano to Caramel Macchiato, Jihoon really loves coffee lololol if you know what I mean :))) But anyway, it kind of swerved into "young adult novel" a bit, but I'm happy with the outcome :) If you liked this story please tell me all about it in the comment section <3 it gives me encouragement to write more :") please and thank you! Have a wonderful day everyone!