Chapter 01

The other side of me

For as long as I can remember there have been two mes. There’s me, Sae Ron. I’m just your average university student. I'm not overly pretty, but I’m not ugly either. I don’t stand out in a crowd, but I’m not overly introverted either. I work part time in a bookstore while working on my novel in an attempt to realise my dream of being an author.

 

Then there's the other me, Jiyoon. I am really outgoing and opinionated. My favourite hobby is frequenting bars and trying to beat my record of nineteen shots in a night. I don’t care much for writing or books, but put a guitar in my hand and I’ll let you hear the sickest guitar solo imaginable.

 

Confused? Welcome to my life.

 

 

Apparently it all started when I was around four years old. My psychiatrist said that I had experienced some kind of awful trauma but no one knows exactly what. I was found wandering around in a forest on my own. I was half dead when I was found by a very nice couple who were not expecting to find a starving, cut up four-year-old on their honeymoon. At least their honeymoon was unforgettable, right?

 

When they found me I couldn’t remember anything, not even my own name. I couldn’t tell anyone where I was from and why I had been wandering around in the woods by myself. My face was plastered on every news channel, newspaper, and flyer the city could get to cover my story. No one ever came to claim me. Some of the adults at that time said I had been abandoned. Others said that something must have happened to my parents, like an accident while hiking or something and that I must have somehow survived on my own.

 

After months of waiting for someone to claim me, the news channels and newspapers found new news to report on and I faded into the background. I was eventually passed through the system before the couple that originally found me decided to adopt me. Luckily for me, they were a great couple. They weren’t able to have any children of their own and because they had found me, they felt some kind of responsibility for me.

 

It was around then that Jiyoon appeared. I was quite a quiet kid. I was often bullied for being adopted. Some of the kids had even heard of the circumstances of how I had been found from their families, which just gave the bullies more to tease me about. Most of the time I ignored what they said. But sometimes Jiyoon had other ideas. I can still vividly remember being seven years old, leaving school and hoping to avoid a certain group of girls in my class that were particularly mean to me. They caught up with me and cornered me down an alley. I tried to push past them to get out, hoping an adult would walk past that I could call out to.

 

One of the girls pushed me to the ground and I cut my arm on some broken glass. I remember looking down at the red welling up on my arm and a numbness taking over. I could see the cuts and I knew that they should hurt but the pain faded as I got to my feet. I held myself as tall as I could and I felt a rush of confidence that I wasn’t accustomed to flow through me. I remember pushing the main girl to the ground and swearing at her, using words that my dad often used when he was working on his car that mum would yell at him for using when I was within earshot. The girls had been terrified and bolted, leaving me bleeding and grinning in the alleyway.

 

 

Sometimes when Jiyoon is in charge, I can remember every detail of what she does. Sometimes I even nag her about the things she does. Sometimes I can’t remember a thing. Which has led to several rather embarrassing encounters which I always seem to need to deal with. For being the same person, we really are quite different.

 

Which brings me to this morning when I once again found myself in some stranger’s bed. I sighed and quickly removed myself from his embrace and looked around for my clothes, dismayed to find only a very short leather skirt and corset top available. I eyed the stranger’s sweatpants with longing before pulling on the embarrassing outfit, thankful that I at least had a jacket with me. I slipped out of his apartment, immediately putting on the GPS on my phone so that I could work out where the hell I was.

 

People gave me funny stares as I walked through the quiet, early morning streets. All of them obviously aware that I was doing the walk of shame out of some guy’s apartment. Either that or they think I’m hooker and at this point in time, I’m not quite sure which option is better. My GPS quickly led me to the closest main road and I hailed a taxi. I gave the driver my address, doing my best to ignore his lecherous glances at my short skirt. When we arrived at my apartment I gave him the money without waiting for the change and quickly disappeared into my apartment.

 

I immediately stripped off the scandalous outfit and went straight into the shower, letting the burning hot water wash away the sweat, makeup, and god knows what else from my tired body. Once I had used up the hot water, I towel dried my hair before flopping into bed, setting an alarm to get me up in time for work.

 

 

I walked into work three hours later, a cup of strong coffee in my hand. My co-worker, and best friend, Jungkook waved at me from his place halfway up a ladder, books perched precariously at the top. “Hey, you look like hell.” I snorted at his greeting. “Thanks, Jungkook.” I said as I disappeared through the back to finish my coffee before my shift actually started. I’ve known Jungkook for almost two years. He is one of the very few people who knows about Jiyoon. He's a psychology major in my university and because of his interest in my relationship with Jiyoon, he badgers me constantly with questions, but he’s a nice kid. And he gets on well with me and Jiyoon, which is definitely a bonus. Although Jiyoon does often try to get in his pants, which has led to more than one awkward shift with him.

 

I downed the rest of my coffee, convinced that I could made it until my break before I would require more caffeine to function. When I went back out onto the floor, Jungkook was behind the tills serving a pretty brunette. I could feel a snort dying to make its way out of me courtesy of Jiyoon who was currently critiquing everything about the innocent girl just because she was smiling at Jungkook. Did I mention that Jiyoon is a little territorial? I think it has something to do with the fact that Jungkook is the one person that openly accepts the both of us, so he is special to us.

 

I picked up the boxes with the new stock and loaded up the trolley before making my way around the small store, filling up the shelves, humming along quietly with the soft music that was playing in the background. The rule of the store is, whoever is in first gets to pick the music, as long as there is no foul language, all genres are welcome. Today Jungkook was first in and he’s went with some soft ballads, which I'm eternally grateful for as Jiyoon's hangover was kicking in big time.

 

Once I ran out of books I made my way back to the front of the store and saw Jungkook talking with someone I didn’t recognise. Usually Taehyung or Jin would drop in when he was working but this was someone I didn’t know. He was tall, broad shouldered and drop dead gorgeous. I could feel Jiyoon's interest pique as his deep voice made its way over to me. Jungkook spotted me lurking and waved me over. I felt a little of Jiyoon's confidence seep through as I straightened my back, a smile on my face as I approached the stranger.

 

“Hyung, this is Sae Ron.” He said with a grin. The stranger turned to me and gave me an easy smile, extending his hand for mine. I took his hand and returned his grin. “Nice to meet you, Jungkook talks about you all the time. I’m Namjoon.” I shot Jungkook a quick look, wondering exactly what he had told Namjoon about me but my attention was immediately brought back to Namjoon as he released my hand and leaned against the counter that separated him and Jungkook. “Nice to meet you too, Jungkook has mentioned you before as well, you’re his senior in the psychology department, right?” He nodded, “Yeah, that’s right.”

 

Jungkook turned to me, “Hyung was just dropping off a couple of his old textbooks for me to use.” He said as he held up the pristine looking books. “I better get going, I’ve got a lecture in half an hour. Remember and call if you need any help.” Namjoon said before waving at us both and leaving the shop. I couldn’t help but stare at him as he left, his blond hair stylishly blowing in the wind as he disappeared from view. I was pulled out of my musings by Jungkook obnoxiously waving his hand in my face. I slapped his hand away and glared at him. “Hyung’s pretty good looking, right?” he teased, obviously having picked up on my interest. Jungkook is an observant little and with his knowledge of body language and subtle little hints that people give away without even realising it, he's basically a human lie detector.

 

I nodded briefly and a cheeky smile spread over his face. “I knew you’d like him. That’s why I asked him to bring the books to the store.” I shoved him playfully. “Are you trying to set me up with your hyung?” I asked as I started loading up the rest of the books that had to be put out on the shelves. “Maybe.” He teased. “Yah. You know it wouldn’t work. As soon as he found out about Jiyoon he’d run for the hills. No one wants a crazy girlfriend.” Jungkook frowned at me. “You’re not crazy.” He said, his tone suddenly serious. I sighed, I often forget how much that word upsets him. He hates it when I use that word to describe myself. “You know what I mean Jungkook.” I said gently as I finished loading up the books on my trolley. “No guy needs the hassle of dating both of me.” I said as I pushed my trolley away before he had a chance to argue.