Daddy for a Day

WANTED: A Daddy for Yoogeun

When I came to pick up Yoogeun, I found him sitting alone on a bench and crying.

"Yoogeunnie, what's wrong?" I said to him gently as I pulled him into a hug.
 

"It's family day on Sunday...*sniff* and my friends are bringing their mommies and daddies...*hick* but I only have a mommy..." His voice trailed off.
 

"I don't have a daddy."
 

I felt tears forming in my eyes. Maybe if I had been more responsible, more careful, my son wouldn't have to grow up without a father.

"I'm so sorry, Yoogeun," was all I could say.
 

I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around and saw Jinki.
 

I hurriedly wiped my tears away. "Oh, Jinki-ssi...you're here."

"Neh. I'm here. I'm always here for you," he whispered to me. He took Yoogeun in his arms and made him sit on his lap.
 

"Yoogeun-ah," Jinki asked my son, "why are you crying?"
 

"Because I don't have a daddy," Yoogeun said in a sad voice.
 

"But, Yoogeun, you have a mommy who loves you so much. She loves you this big!" Jinki said while extending his arms to emphasize just how big the love was.
 

Yoogeun nodded and gave a small smile. Jinki looked at me and smiled.
 

"And you know what else, Yoogeunnie? I can be your daddy on family day!"

Yoogeun's eyes sparked with excitement. "Really!?"

"Of course!" Jinki replied with a smile.

"Thank you, Mr. Lee! Thank you!" Yoogeun replied happily as he gave Jinki a bear hug and a bobo.

Jinki looked shocked and overjoyed at Yoogeun's show of affection for him. 
 

I didn't know who was cuter at that moment: Yoogeun, or Jinki with that silly smile on his face.
 

"Omma, did you hear that? Mr. Lee will be my daddy on family day!" Yoogeun said to me while tugging my hand excitedly.

"Yeah, I heard that," I said smiling.
 

"I'm gonna tell Dayoung I'll have a daddy on family day!" He said as he ran to his friend.
 

"Jinki-ssi, I don't know how to thank you," I said after Yoogeun left.
 

"You don't need to, ______." He said with a sweet smile.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday morning came. I woke up to the smell of bacon and eggs. "Could omma have come to cook breakfast?" I thought as I got out from bed. But then omma would never cook bacon. She has always thought that it was unhealthy. And it seemed quite impossible that Yoogeun would cook. He could hardly even reach the stove.

I made my way to the kitchen. "Yoogeun-ah, are you--omona!"

"Good morning, ______-ssi!" Jinki greeted me.

"Umm...good morning," I replied shyly as I tried my best to fix my messy hair.
 

There Jinki was: looking perfect in a simple polo shirt and jeans. I, on the other hand, was still in pajamas.
 

"Yoogeun let me in. He's in his room right now. Oh, and I bought you two breakfast," Jinki said raising a brown bag with his hand. "I wanted to cook for you but...I can't really cook," he admitted.

"It's fine," I said with a smile. "And you didn't have to come all the way here to bring us breakfast...but, wow, thanks. Yoogeun loves this kind of food."

"Well, I did promise him that I'll be his dad today. You don't have to thank me."

I went to the cupboards to get some plates and utensils. I was about to set the table when Jinki said, "Let me do that for you. You should get dressed first. "

"But you're our guest," I protested.

"No, I'm not. I'm Yoogeun's dad."
 

I was defeated, so I walked out of the kitchen as Jinki had instructed.
 

"And if you want, I can be your husband too," he added when he thought I was out of hearing distance.
 

I turned around, "I heard that," I said laughing.
 

Jinki just blushed and bit his lip in embarrassment.
 

"Stop being so adorable, Jinki," I said in my mind.


We left the apartment by about 8 o'clock. Yoogeun and Jinki wore the shirts of the same color. The three of us walked hand-in-hand (with Yoogeun in between me and Jinki). Since the affair at school wouldn't start till 10:30, we attended the Holy Mass first.

"Omma," Yoogeun whispered to me, "You know what I thanked Jesus for? I thanked Him for making Mr. Lee my daddy today." Yoogeun smiled.

I smiled back. I've never seen Yoogeun this happy before.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ready, get set, go!"


Dads with their kids carried on their backs started to run towards the finish line. Squeals and laughter could be heard from the kids as they felt like they were soaring while they were carried.


"Run faster, daddy! Run faster!"


"Appa! We're close to the finish line~"


I spotted Jinki and Yoogeun. They were in second place. Jinki looked like a happy little kid running, and Yoogeun was laughing with delight.


At the end of the race, Jinki and Yoogeun had won first place.

"Omma! Did you see us?" Yoogeun bounced excitedly. "We won! We won!"


More games followed after that. The three of us had fun playing, though we never won first place again. By the end of the event, Yoogeun was already exhausted. Jinki carried him on his back while I walked beside him.


"Gomawo," I said to Jinki. "I know you told me not to thank you but--"

"It's my pleasure to help you, ______," Jinki replied smiling at me.


Jinki drove us home, and carried Yoogeun who was fast asleep to his room. He tucked Yoogeun in and gave him a kiss on the forehead.

Yoogeun opened his eyes for a moment. "Mr. Lee, I wish you'd be my daddy everyday."

He fell back asleep. Jinki couldn't help but smile at what Yoogeun said.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I walked Jinki to the door. "I had so much fun today. Are you sure you don't want to stay for dinner?"
 

"I'd love to actually," Jinki said, "but I promised my dongsaeng that I'd help her with her homework tonight."
 

"Oh, I see. Take care on your way home, Jinki-ssi"
 

"Neh....umm...______-ssi?"
 

"Yes, Jinki?"
 

"I've actually wanted to ask you this for a long time already," Jinki took a deep breath and gave me a nervous smile. "Will you go on a date with me?" 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Yes, I know it's been ages since I last updated. But finally, here's chapter 3! :) I hope you like it. Please do leave a comment. The more comments I get, the faster I'll update.