Omma, I want a Daddy for Christmas

WANTED: A Daddy for Yoogeun

The choir sang the most cheerful Christmas song right after the priest's final blessing, signifying the end of the Holy Mass. The churchgoers made their way to the huge oak doors while happily wishing those around them a merry Christmas. Everyone was in a festive mood. It was Christmas eve. In a few ticks of the clock, it would be Christmas day itself. I smiled at the nice ahjumma who greeted me though we didn't really know each other. And I just smiled while looking around. It was touching to see how families made their way out together. I clasped my hand tightly around the hand of my five-year-old son. He looked up at me with his round chocolate brown eyes and smiled.


"Merry Chirstmas, Omma!" He chirped excitedly.

"Merry Christmas, Yoogeunie."


I smiled at him and then up at the starry night sky which was now slowly being filled with fireworks to the One above. He had sent me this little angel to get my life back in place.


As a teenager, I had been reckless. I sowed wild oats, not caring about the future, not caring about the troubles I gave my parents. I skipped school, became a drug addict, an alcoholic, a - you name it, I did it. And in one of my - how should I say this? - "bed hopping activities" I got pregnant. My parents kicked me out. That's when I carried the weight of the entire world on my shoulders.

They say, when your problems hit you so hard that you lie down on the ground, that's the time when you're looking up at the sky and seeing the One who'll help you find the solutions. Your guiding Light. Your miracle.

So I decided to do the right thing: get back on my feet and raise the child I bore the best that I could. I found a decent job, a place to live in, got a car - and be the best mom that I could be.


"Woah! Omma, it's snowing," Yoogeun's voice snapped me back to the present.

He stared at a falling snowflake with amazement and laughed as a drop of snow hit his nose.

"Come on, Yoogeun-ah! Let's find the car so we can get home, drink some hot chocolate and eat those yummy cookies," I told him as we made our way to the parking lot.

"Then I can open my presents?" He asked.

"Then you may open your presents." I replied with a smile.

"Omma, what's your Christmas wish?"

"That you'll grow up to be a good boy."

"But you always wish for that. And I'm a good boy, right?"


I put an arm around his tiny shoulder, "Then my Christmas wish already came true. And it proves that God does listen to our wishes and prayers." I told him.


"Omma, you know what I want for Christmas?".

"What is it, Yoogeunnie? Is it that toy truck we saw in the mall last week?"

"Aniyo," he pouted and shook his head. "I want a daddy for Christmas!"

"A daddy?" I asked in disbelief.

"Mmhhm." Yoogeun nodded and smiled, as if a "daddy" was available anytime of the day like bread  in a bakery.


We arrived at our car. I took out the keys and pressed the remote to open the doors. But to my surprise, the doors remained locked. I pressed the remote again. Still, nothing.


"Maybe the remote ran out of batteries. Omma, try putting the key in," Yoogeun suggested.

But the key didn't even fit into the keyhole. I turned around and realized that Yoogeun wasn't by my side anymore.
 

 

"Omma!" Yoogeun shouted from across the street. "That's not our car."

Beside him was a car with exactly the same color and model as mine, and a man trying to open the door with his keys.
 

"Excuse me, Ahjussi," Yoogeun said to him politely while gently tugging on his coat, "I think we switched cars."

 


The "ahjussi" who turned out to be a guy with such an adorable smile looked as if he recognized my son. "Yoogeun-ah!"


"Mr. Lee!" Yoogeun said happily, "you're here." He jumped eagerly into Mr. Lee's open arms. Mr. Lee tossed him into the air and Yoogeun laughed with delight. 

 


I walked towards them thinking that they looked like father and son. I wondered who this Mr. Lee was and why he and Yoogeun knew each other. Mr. Lee put Yoogeun down and greeted me.


"Annyeonghosayo, Ms. Jung." Mr. Lee greeted. "I'm Lee Jinki, Yoogeun's teacher."
 

Since when did kindergarten teachers look so handsome?


"Annyeong," I replied. "I'm Jung ___, Yoogeun's mom."
 

He looked quite shocked upon hearing that I was Yoogeun's mom. He must have thought that Yoogeun's sister like many people do.
 

He cleared his throat. "It seems like we got our cars mixed up," he said looking embarrassed. 


I couldn't help but giggle at his cute expression.

Am I starting to sound like a teenager falling in love?


"I guess we should get going. It's starting to get chilly and Yoogeun might catch a cold," I told him.

"Neh, you should. Bye bye. Merry Christmas," He said to me with a smile. He then bent to Yoogeun and ruffled his hair, "Bye, Yoogeun-ah. You take care of your Omma."

"I sure will! Bye, Mr. Lee! Merry Christmas!" Yoogeun answered.


Mr. Lee Jinki opened the door for me and told me to drive safely.

 

"Thank you, Mr. Lee." I told him.

"No problem. Call me Jinki, ___." He said with a wink.
 

He then carried Yoogeun to the backseat and fastened the child's seatbelt. "Good night!" He said again with a heart melting smile before Yoogeun whispered something into his ear. He closed the door then walked to his car.
 

 

 

"Yoogeun-ah, what did you just tell Jinki?" I asked as we drove out the parking lot.


"I told him that I want him to be my daddy." Yoogeun said happily.