The Water Fairy

Fairies

 

The world is turning, there were just too many things happening at once. Water rushed through the broken pipes due to Namjoo's sudden burst of emotions, dead bodies scattered on the concrete floor as they began to be stained in the ruby red blood. The shouts of Bomi as she carried Hayoung over her back and Chorong holding Namjoo's hand tightly as they ran along, it was just something that came out from a movie. The high school girl was confused but simply followed along. She could only remember Hayoung attempting to save her twice in one day, perhaps it was fate to meet these people in her life. 

"Keep going Bom-ah! We're going to leave now!" said Chorong as they continued to run towards the apartment.

"I don't know what's going on but got it unnie!" 

The girls dashed under the drizzling rain caused by the burst pipes, climbing up the run-down stairs leading to the apartment door and rammed inside the room, leaving Naeun and Eunji perplexed at the whole situation.

"Why are you guys soaked and what happened to Hayoung?!" said Eunji in surprise as she quickly took towels from the bathroom, giving the girls each a towel. She also made eye-contact with Namjoo, noticing that she was new.

"Thank you..." said Namjoo as she grabbed the towel, avoiding eye-contact. From her point-of-view, Eunji looked like a tough unnie and seemed similiar to most of the seniors in her high school. It reminded her of the memories she had thrown away long ago, the times where she stay quiet and cowered away from her high school mates.

Bomi carefully placed the unconcious Hayoung on the mattress, worried and confused as to what had happened. Naeun too, went to her side and wondered what had happened. As the observant girl, Naeun noticed that Hayoung was in cold sweat and her hands were turning cold.

"C-Chorong unnie, Hayoung is...." said Naeun in a soft voice.

"I know. Hold this." said Chorong as she tossed her towel to Bomi and quickly went to Hayoung's side. She ped Hayoung's jacket and ed her blouse, gently placing her palm onto her chest as a warm, yellow heat enveloped around the girl's body.

"Unnie, what are you doing?" asked Bomi as she attempted to move to her side, but was stopped by Eunji.

"Don't disturb her." said Eunji in a serious tone. As the same-aged friend looked at her, she could tell that Eunji had garnered a lot of trust and respect for Chorong. Usually in cases where her loved ones are harmed, Eunji wouldn't let herself stand still. But today, her eyes represented trust in someone because it was something she herself, could not do.

The four girls looked on in worry, watching Chorong do wonders to the unconcious Hayoung, as if observing a doctor operating on a sick patient. It was only after ten minutes of silence, Chorong sighed and looked up with a relieving smile.

"That's the first time I've experienced the perfect silence in awhile." joked Chorong with a laugh, as she removed her palms and fixed back Hayoung's clothes.

"Unnie, don't joke in a situation like this!" said Bomi.

"There's nothing to worry Bom-ah. I've already controlled back Hayoung's temperature, she should wake up soon." said Chorong with a light laugh, finding Bomi's facial expressions quite funny.

"But what exactly happened unnie?" asked Eunji.

"Did she get into a fight?" asked the observant Naeun who noticed some strange stains on her jacket.

"She killed the men that were harassing me...." said Namjoo quietly.

"Wait, Hayoung killed someone?" said Naeun in surprise. Eunji who heard this had her eyes wide open in shock. 

"But they deserved it.....those men were harrassing me and pulling me in for their own purposes. Hayoung actually saved me from them twice.....what a cool oppa..." said Namjoo. The four girls who heard this, broke into a laughter.

"Huh? W-Why are all of you laughing?" 

"Hayoung isn't a guy. She's a girl." laughed Eunji.

"EH? WAIT... WHAAAT?!"

Namjoo's cute mistake somehow lightened the mood in the apartment, making their worries dissapear completely as they were now calm and able to think logically despite what had happened before. Because of Namjoo's sudden shift of emotions, the pipe in the water basin suddenly bursted in water.

"So your powers are water huh? That's awesome, now we don't need to worry about cooking cup noodles anymore!" said Bomi with a smile.

"Really, of all things you think of that? Aigoo, this pabo" joked Eunji.

"W-Wait, I don't actually understand what's happening right now. I'm dreaming right? All this magical things and stuff like that? Can someone pinch me?" said Namjoo, still in disbelief in her current situation.

"No...you're not...." said Naeun as she quietly pinched her arm.

"Oh. It hurts. So I'm not dreaming...." 

"Well, things are a bit complicated but let's just say, we all have these superpowers and Chorong unnie is here to collect us." smiled Bomi.

"What, then are we just garbage waiting to be collected?" joked Eunji.

"No! I didn't mean it in that way!" said Bomi, in which Eunji laughed.

"Wow....that's kinda cool......so it's like a team of superheroes?"

"Um..not exactly but I guess you can think that way.." said Eunji.

"Hold on, what do we do with the people that Hayoung...killed?" asked Naeun in worry as the girls seemed to forgotten the serious situation they were in.

"Well, if the police finds out then we are pretty screwed." said Eunji with a straight face. Rather than the fact that Hayoung killed someone, she was more surprised at the fact that she had the bravery to do so. Eunji had always believed in justice and saving others were the right thing to do.

"Sorry to interrupt but we have to go now." said Chorong as she suddenly started packing her personal belongings into her bag.

"Go where?" asked Namjoo confused.

"To heaven." smiled Eunji in response.

"WHAT?!" shouted Namjoo in a very loud voice.

"Shush!! You're going to wake the whole neighbourhood!" said Bomi as she quickly covered Namjoo's mouth.

"Oh right, I forgot it's night time. Sorry..." said Namjoo as she quickly apologized.

The girls laughed at how innocent Namjoo was. Surely, she was like a cute dongsaeng who still had many things to learn from her unnies.

"Please hold each others hands." said Chorong as she grabbed hold of Bomi's. The girls did as they were told while Eunji carried Hayoung on her back. They formed a circle, in the centre of the apartment room as a white light suddenly sparked on the floor. Soon enough, their visions were slowly blurred and their bodies became transparent. By the time they had vanished, the white light dissapeared and the apartment was now back to it's isolated state, as if it was abandoned by someone.

This sort of magical transportation happened very quickly but the girls weren't scared. As long as they could feel each other's warmth through each of their hands, nothing could possibly go wrong. Suddenly, the girls could feel a sudden change in their environment. They were in a wide-space room, everywhere was white. The floor, walls, ceiling, was full of white. White represented purity and it was clearly a sign that they were no longer on Earth but a place presumably called as "heaven". The air was very light, making it easier to breathe compared to the heavy, polluted ones back in Earth. There was something that gave a sense of relief to the girls just by being in that place. Perhaps, this was the wonders heaven could do.

"We're here, girls." smiled Chorong, looking at each of their expressions as they realised where they were.

"Wow! This is so cool!" said Bomi in excitement as her voice echoed back in the white room.

"So this is heaven huh?" said Eunji as she walked around, while still carrying Hayoung on her back.

"I'm just...going to stick close to you...unnie..." said Namjoo as she gently held onto Naeun's hands. For Naeun, she had never experienced this kind of feeling before. As she had always been depending on Eunji and Bomi for protection, she hadn't had the opportunity to give back the same things to others. Because now, she had a dongsaeng and someone who was much younger than her. She thought to herself that maybe this was the chance to become an "unnie" and take care of others instead of always relying on her unnies.

"It's my first time too, being in a place like this..." said Naeun as she tighten the grip, making sure that Namjoo would not stray away and get lost.

Eunji who looked behind and saw the two girls holding hands together, there was a sense of relief in her. In a way, she was glad that Naeun was able to open up to others more as she wasn't the type to do so. Perhaps by meeting new people, Naeun could be more independent in a way.

"I wonder where's the door?" asked Bomi as she walked in every single corner of the room, unable to find a single thing. It was an endless room of white.

"Don't walk too far, you'll get lost!" warned Chorong. Upon her words, the girls walked back like children who obediently listened to their mother.

Suddenly, there was a sound of a door opening. A loud thud sound echoed the room, as a white enclosure appeared. The door itself was disguised as a white wall, making it almost impossible to find the entrance. There was a tall man dressed in a black robe, seemingly looking human just like Chorong and wore a black choker around his neck.

"So you're finally back, Chorong-ssi." said the man with a bow, as he walked towards the group.

"Yes, it's been a while Hoya-ssi." greeted Chorong with a bow. The girls looked on in curiousity, wondering what was their relationship together. Bomi in particular, somehow didn't feel too good seeing Chorong being close to someone.

"Greetings, it's probably a little difficult to fully absorb what is happening but welcome to Heaven. Home to the thousand fairies that protect the land we call, Earth. I'm Hoya, one of the few Dark Fairies around and I'll be taking you to your new home." said Hoya with a bow.

"You're a dark fairy, doesn't that mean you're evil?" asked Bomi innocently.

"Hey, Bom-ah..." said Eunji as she nudged Bomi.

"Um, not exactly. Dark fairies are fairies who have already defected themselves from hell and believe in protecting Earth rather than harming others. Yes, I may have roots from hell but that doesn't mean I am evil or a bad person. Well, enough questions. Please, follow me." said Hoya as he signalled the girls towards a door. However, Chorong was going to another direction.

"Unnie, where are you going?" asked Bomi.

"I have to go somewhere first. Follow Hoya, I'll come back. Don't worry." smiled Chorong as she left in another door.

Bomi watched Chorong leave the compound silently, feeling worried that Chorong is no longer in her sight. Like a puppy who didn't want its master to leave, Bomi hoped that she would see Chorong again.

 

~X~

 

Passing through the white room, they entered a lift that rose upwards. From the transparent glass, they were finally able to see what heaven was like. Suprisingly, it was just like how Earth would look like. Tall buildings and skyscrapers covered the world called "heaven" as they could see normal people just busily walking around and doing their own things. It made them feel as if they were still at home. The only difference was that there were no cars or anything elctronical. By the time the lift stopped, the doors opened, welcoming them into a wide corridor that had several rooms lined along the path. The girls followed Hoya quietly, without asking any questions. It was just a whole new world they had entered and were simply awe in fascination.

Soon enough, they reached the end of the hallway where they was a big, red door in front of them. 

"This is where the five of you will stay for the time being. Since you are still in the process of understanding the abilities of a fairy, you will stay here and undergo proper training before you are qualified to be a fairy." said Hoya as he opened the door. It was just like any other apartment you could find in Seoul, except it was far better from Bomi and Eunji's. It was a wide, three room apartment floor with two bathrooms and a common area. It had a lot of similiarites to Earth except that there was no television or electronical items around.

"Training? What do you mean?" asked Eunji in suspicion.

"You'll know later. For now, please take some time to rest. I'm sure all of you must be tired. In awhile, I will come back to begin your training. Please, have a good stay." smiled Hoya as he closed the door, leaving the five girls alone in their "new home".

There were mixed reactions. Bomi and Namjoo were just excited and started exploring the apartment while Eunji and Naeun felt this sense of suspicion. Eunji first placed Hayoung into one of the rooms, putting her onto a bed and left the door open before heading out to the common area where the girls gathered.

"Wow, they have ramen too in heaven?!" shouted Bomi in excitement as she explored the shelves and cabinets in the kitchen.

"Unnie, they have cheese in the fridge too! We can make some really good ramen if we get hungry at night!" said Namjoo as she rummaged through the fridge.

"Do they have kimchi too?!" 

"OMG THEY DO!" 

"WOAH!"

The two girls were getting really excited over the thought of food. They were like perfect soulmates for each other, because they had the same interests and matched pretty well.

"You two should just become best friends forever." laughed Eunji, watching the two behave like children. But as she looked at Naeun, she knew that she was feeling the same way. Unlike the two, Eunji and Naeun were more careful and suspicious towards what was happening.

"You know what I'm thinking about right?" asked Eunji as she sat beside her.

"I don't know unnie...it just feels....weird...."

"Let's just stick with it and see what happens next. Who knows, it's probably for the better." said Eunji as she held onto Naeun's hand. Just by holding her hands, Naeun felt comfort and ease surrounding her nervosity. Looking at each other's eyes, their heart started to thump slightly faster than normal. Feeling uncomfortable, Eunji quickly looked away and cleared . Not wanting the atmosphere to turn awkward, Eunji released her hand and went to the noisy duo, Bomi and Namjoo who were bickering over whether cup noodle in heaven tasted different when back on Earth.

"Trust me, I bet they just imported all these cup ramen from Seoul. It will taste the same unnie!" said Namjoo.

"No way! You think angels eat instant noodles? I don't think so! I bet there's some kind of magical ingredient in there!" said Bomi not wanting to believe.

"Hold on, you two." said Eunji as she stepped in.

"What? You want to eat this too unnie?" asked Namjoo.

"You're not having mine." said Bomi.

Eunji could only sigh.

"You two are idiots." said Eunji to which the duo were obviously offended and started bickering again.

Naeun on the other hand, who were observing them noticed a sudden movement on Hayoung's bed.

"Guys!" said Naeun, but no one heard her as she was too soft.

In a dilemma, Naeun placed her arms outwards and lightly flicked tiny pieces of ice towards the bickering three.

"Ouch! What in the world was that-" said Bomi feeling something sharp hitting her body as the rest turned around and quickly turned silent as they saw Naeun putting her finger over her lips.

"You pabo! You started it!" whispered Eunji as she lightly hit Bomi.

"What do you mean? You just suddenly barged in and like-" Before Bomi could even say anything, one word from Hayoung made everyone turn silent.

"Unnie."

"Yes Hayoung-ah?" said Eunji as she was the first one to rush to her side. This time, Naeun wasn't jealous watching this. She had come to an understanding that Hayoung was a very important person to her and after looking at her personality, she assumed that she too, had underwent a lot of hardships.

"Where....are we?" said Hayoung as she tried to sit up on the bed.

"Take it easy...you just fainted after over-exerting yourself with the powers." said Eunji as she helped her up.

"Where is Namjoo? Is she safe?" 

"I'm right here." said Namjoo as she entered the room.

"That's a relief." smiled Hayoung. The other girls were surprised. This was the first time they had seen the girl smile, despite displaying such a cold expression. Namjoo who had always seen Hayoung as a quiet, reserved girl, watching her smile somehow made her heart flutter. It was smile filled with warmth.

"Anyways, Chorong unnie told me that you fainted because you used too much of your powers. To get straight to the point, we're in heaven now and we're waiting for that dark fairy guy to come. Apparently, we need to undergo some training." said Bomi.

"Are we soldiers in training?" said Eunji in suspicion.

"Wait. Unnies, are we not going to return back to Earth? Are we not going back home?" said Namjoo in realisation of the situation. After all, she was just suddenly dragged into this situation that she had no idea of. All of a sudden, she was a "Water Fairy" and had abilities to manipulate water. Certainly, it was a bit difficult to adapt to this new environment she was in.

"Ah crap, I forgot to tell you about that. Sorry that we just pulled you along. I hope your parents won't worry...about your sudden dissapearence....?" said Bomi nervously as she glanced at Eunji, asking her for help. She imagined that Namjoo would break out emotionally at the thought of not seeing her family again. After all, Namjoo looked like an ordinary school girl who seemed to come from an average family background.

"No, it's okay. I don't have parents anyway." said Namjoo calmly. Hearing that, Hayoung seemed to pay more attention to the high school girl. As someone who hated her own parents to the point that she wished they never existed, it was an eye-opener to meet someone who was the total opposite of her. Hayoung wanted to ask her something but it was at that moment, the doorbell rung and the girls headed back to the main entrance where the large, red door was. As it opened, Hoya was right there, standing with no expression. The fact that he was still fully dressed in full black with a black choker round his neck, it definitely painted the image of a devil more than a fairy.

"Are you girls ready? We will be starting your training now. Please, follow me." said Hoya as he walked out to which the girls followed along.

"Hey....do you where Chorong unnie might've went?" asked Bomi boldy as she looked at him. But Hoya did not respond and just kept walking. Eventually, the girls got out of the building and arrived at an open garden that seemed like the most beautiful of them all. Bright, green grassland that scattered into a endless field with colourful flowers decorated the surrounding, it seemed like the biggest garden ever. However, in the middle were five, wooden doors that stood out of nothing. On each door had the girls' name written on them.

"As you can see, please enter into the door that belongs to your name. We will start with individual training first." said Hoya as he showed them to the door. The five girls looked at each with an uneasy expression, surely they didn't want to be seperated from each other. Eunji and Naeun held their hands tightly, as if they never wanted to let go. Bomi gulped out of nervousness and glaned at Hoya who then stared at her.

"I'll go first." said Namjoo bravely.

"Wait." said Hayoung as she suddenly grabbed her hand. The girl looked at her worriedly. It seemed that Hayoung had developed a feeling that she could not leave Namjoo out of her sight despite being a year younger, simply because she was weak and always attacked by others. The memories of her being bullied by those men were still fresh in her memory.

"It's okay. I'll be fine. See you on the other side. I'll go first unnies!" smiled Namjoo as she let go of Hayoung's hand and entered the door that was written with her name "Kim Namjoo". Watching the door close behind her, four girls remained.

"Well, I'm waiting." said Hoya as he stared at them.

"If Namjoo's going, then what should we be worried for?" said Bomi.

"That's right, let's just do this. It's obviously much better than being stuck in that horrible place down there." said Eunji to which Naeun and Hayoung nodded. Thanks to Namjoo, the girls gained confidence to be seperated from each other and entered the doors respectively.

 

~X~

 

Namjoo found herself inside an empty void of nothing, the only thing she could see in front of her was a white orb that floated in mid-air. Curious, the girl who still wore her yet, tattered school uniform walked towards it in which the orb shined upon her arrival.

"The Water Fairy. Reincarnation subject mortal: Kim Namjoo. Identification complete." said an unknown voice in a robotic tone as the orb floated to face Namjoo's face.

"What the..." mumbled Namjoo to herself as she looked around, wondering if something would occur.

"As abide by the rules, you shall understand the true nature of your powers and why you are the chosen one. Reflect back on your memories. Do you recall, images of the ocean? The calling of the water, that seeks you?"

"Ocean? How do you know me so well? Too bad, I've completed erased that horrible memory. There's no way I'm ever going to remember that. I'm sorry." said Namjoo in suspision yet nervous. She had an idea what the orb meant, but she didn't want to go through the same pain again, to remember her past.

"In order to fully unlock your true abilities, you must remember them back. No matter how painful it can be, please bear with it. This is only for the better." said the orb as it came even closer to Namjoo, almost to the point of touching her forehead as it began to struck a bright light. It didn't seem harmful at all as the girl felt no pain but somehow, she could see images flashing across her eyes. Like a movie that went past quickly, she was forced to look back at a memory that she had kept locked away. It was the day she didn't know, the day she acquired her abilities as a Water Fairy.

 

[FLASHBACK]

 

It returned again, those memories. The time when Namjoo was merely just a middle schooler on her school holiday, she had always visited her good friend Yookyung. She was like a sister who gave her all the love she needed for an orphan who had no family. On days of rest, she would pay her a visit at her grand villa that was right next to the beach and of course, they would hang out, eat lots of food and swim. These were days of happiness that seemed to go on, forever until that one day. 

"Come Namjoo-ya, let's go to the beach!" smiled Yookyung as she held onto her hand.

"Let's go unnie!" grinned Namjoo brightly. But none of them seemed to notice the dark clouds that covered the sky, an indication that a storm was coming. But the girls were still young, what could they know about? Happily playing in the ocean waves and splashing at each other, Namjoo came up with an idea.

"Unnie, unnie! Let's having a swimming race! The loser has to grant the winner a wish!" said Namjoo with excitement.

"Sure." smiled Yookyung as Namjoo made a countdown. At the start of three, the two girls dived into the ocean and swam as far as they could. However, the waves were getting stronger as the wind blew fiercely. A storm was coming. And, a big one in fact. Pulling the two girls was nothing. Helplessly, they were dragged underwater as their small bodies could only bear the force of such. Yookyung who realised that something was wrong, held onto Namjoo who struggled to stay afloat. But eventually, the two sank under and within those few seconds of their last breath, Yookyung stared at her with a smile. Namjoo who had no idea what it seemed to mean, saw her mouthing something before she passed out in black darkness.

Eventually, it became known that Namjoo was the only survivor. Upon awakening and finding herself in a hospital bed, Yookyung's parents told her the news that Yookyung's body was never found. In fact, it was a miracle that Namjoo survived in admist of the storm. It was as if, the ocean was saving her, embracing her because of the powers that was buried deep within her heart. No one had known that child, would eventually became the harbinger of aqua, the Water Fairy. Ever since then, Namjoo spend weeks just staring deeply into the ocean horizon as guilt and regret consumed her heart to the point where her emotional state was no longer there. At such a young age, medical teams had to wipe out her memory so that she won't have to suffer any longer. A deadly memory that came, haunting back in a blink of an eye.

 

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

As the orb removed itself from Namjoo's forehead with it's mission complete, the girl fell to her knees with tears flowing down like a waterfall as she trembled.

"Why.....Why are you doing this to me?" sobbed Namjoo as she looked up at the floating orb.

"The strongest comes from the most darkest memory. This is the only way to unlock your full potential, Water Fairy."

"I didn't sign up for this.......Make it stop........please........MAKE IT STOP!" screamed Namjoo loudly as the void shook, almost causing the walls to shatter. It was then, a sudden flush of water appeared that instantly attacked the orb as it helplessly floated in the immense rush of waves. It was not just a simple burst of water, it was so strong to the fact that it could even hurt the user. Like a big pool of tornado that came through, it was about to hit the crying girl that yelled and screamed many times, asking for all of this to come to an end, begging that she did not have to see those memories again.

Just as the water was about to touch Namjoo, a sudden hot, flare of fire bursted in the void, immediately evaporated every single drop of water caused by Namjoo's unstable emotions.

"Namjoo-ya!" shouted a girl as she grabbed her shoulders and looked at her in the eyes.

But the girl continued to cry and sob, water still bursting out of nowhere.

"Namjoo-ya!" shouted the girl again as she had no choice, but to place her hand on Namjoo's chest as a bright, orange flare illuminated. Like magic, it calmed the Namjoo's uneasy heart as her tears stopped. Finally sane and able to see who was in front of her, the girl was confused.

"C-Chorong unnie?"

 

[END OF CHAPTER 5]

 

A/N: The girls are off to begin a new journey in heaven and looks like Hajoo is beginning to take place? The Fire Fairy suddenly appears out of nowhere to save Namjoo?! Thank you for reading and do share your thoughts of this whole "training" period that the girls have to undergo~ I'll have the next chapter up soon~