Chapter 7

Step-Love

 

Minho sat across from Taemin.

"It's been awhile, hyung. How have you been?" Taemin said with a smile. He watched Minho nodding his head as he returned him the same expression.

"I'm good as you see. How about you? I heard you took an Entertainment Management. How come you end up being a boss in the the bookshop?" Minho asked. 

"Well, it's kind of a hobby and you know I love reading, hyung." Taemin answered and Minho nodded again. "I also heard you are doing good with your publishing book, Mr. Author."

Minho chuckled. "Thanks to your cousin. She has helped me to reach my dream."

"I guess Yuri noona does. She just can't say 'No' to anything when it comes to you." Taemin said, a boyish grin played across his lips. "She even constantly updates me about how you are doing for these while. I believe more than half of our conversation is all about you and her bragging about your writing talent."

Minho had the look of unbelief on his face but then he brushed it away and broke into a small chuckle. "You are exaggerating. I know as the cousins, there are more of things to talk about rather than me."

Taemin laughed lightly and he stared at Minho as the latter sipped his coffee. "You know what hyung? I've always been wondering…" He said and Minho looked up from his cup. Taemin smiled and continued, "Why did you break up with Yuri noona? It was a surprise to know you guys started going out after I moved to Japan. I was happy for you two but then another surprise hit me when I heard about your breakup 2 years later."

Minho took a moment to answer carefully. "It just happened. But thing happened for a reason, right? I'm glad she is happy with Siwon hyung now."

Taemin remained silent, knowing that he also couldn't get the answer from Minho just like Yuri didn't tell him anything. However, whatever the reason why did they end their 2 years relationship, Taemin could see clearly now that Minho seemed to move on well but he just couldn't assume the same thing for his cousin. He just wasn't sure if Yuri was ever happy after their breakup, although she was in the new relationship with Siwon now.

"Now going back to you..." Minho said, breaking Taemin from the train of his thought. "When did you return? I think Yuri failed to tell me that."

Taemin smiled. "I returned a couple of weeks ago. Well, I actually warned noona to say nothing to you about my return, thinking that I would give you a surprise. But who knew my plan was screw because of your stepsister."

Minho felt his body somehow rigid at the mention of Sulli. This morning, upon knowing himself committed such an unforgivable sin by kissing his stepsister, his mind was completely in mess. He unconsciously turned himself into a statue and literally couldn't find a single word to say anything to her. In the end, he just watched Sulli running off him and going away by the bus. He didn't manage to catch up with her or even call or do anything after that.

Minho knew right then that he just screw and he needed to talk to Sulli as soon as possible whether she wanted or not.

Minho thought, if they were simply just friends or strangers, thing would be easier to solve, but unfortunately they weren't and thing bond to get complicated if he didn't do anything about that.

He mentally sighed, because of the little mistake made thing so damn awkward between them. The kiss or them being cuddled in the same bed weren't supposed to happen at all. Minho needed to fix it but then he just couldn't deny one thing, deep down inside he knew, he feel so right doing all the stuffs with Sulli despite it was very wrong.

But then again, Sulli is his stepsister and for thing like romantic feelings revolving, it shouldn't have happened, so before it gets out of hand, he has to stop. 

"Hyung?" Taemin called, waved his hand in front of Minho. "What's wrong? Why are you suddenly not be here anymore?"

"No, nothing. I'm just thinking of something." Minho said and he looked at the younger guy in front of him. "Taemin, why did you ask Sulli out? I don't want to be rude here, but Sulli is hand off to anyone."

"And that includes me?" Taemin asked. 

Minho sighed. "Yes."

Taemin stared at Minho. "I will be honest here, I like Sulli. And even knowing that you are her stepbrother, it still won't stop me to pursue after her."

Hearing Taemin said he liked Sulli, something rubbed him in the wrong way. "Taemin... I know I've wronged you before but don't take it out on Sulli."

Taemin laughed. "What are you talking about hyung? Do you think I want to get back at you by using your stepsister? I'm not holding grudge and I've long forgotten about that unpleasant past. I know you have always felt bad about that too, so believe me hyung, I didn't hate you. Before or now I've never felt that way."

Minho knew Taemin was too nice to even hate him over a misunderstanding from the past. And he even knew better that Taemin wouldn't want to date Sulli for the sake of revenge he thought about but because he knew perfectly that Sulli was a beauty and that she easily attracted men so called danger. It would be weird if Taemin wasn't one of the guys who was smitten by her charm.

"I'm truly sorry for what I did to you, Taemin." Minho said and he turned serious. "But even I still feel like I owe you something after this apology, I can't allow you to date Sulli."

"Why? Is it because you are still seeing me as a high school player who broke the girls' hearts?" Taemin asked.

Minho shook his head. "Yuri told me you've changed. Although it was quite hard to believe but I did anyway. I mean, you are getting older so you would also become mature."

Taemin smirked, crossing his arms and staring at Minho. "Then, what is the reason to why you don't want me to date Sulli?"

Minho thought for the answer but he couldn't find one. He was somehow confused about his feeling. Why did he oppose Taemin to pursue Sulli? He knew Taemin would be the good guy for her but he still couldn't allow him to make a move on Sulli.

Minho sighed once again mentally. Not that he didn't knew the answer but actually he just didn't want to admit it. It didn't come from the guy as the main reason but he just hate the idea of Sulli would finally find herself someone to date.

"Well, you can warn me all you want hyung but you can't stop me from doing what I determine." Taemin said. "And I hate to say this, but as a stepbrother, are you a bit going off limit? I mean Sulli wouldn't like it if you are too protective over her. People would probably misunderstand your action, hyung."

Minho took a deep sigh. He didn't like at all for what Taemin had said but he knew Taemin wasn't wrong on that point.

 

+  +  +  +

 

Minho sat on the grass of the Han River park. He tried to concentrate on his novel but unfortunately he was having a problem of the writer block now.

He closed his laptop and sighed. "Geez this is so frustrated. I can't think of anything to write."

Minho checked his watch. He asked Taemin this morning when was Sulli's shift today and he told him since she had no class in the afternoon, so she wanted to work from then in order to get off early. He realized that he still had 2 hours more to fetch her.

"What should I do until then? My brain is absolutely helping me nothing now." Minho said to himself, then he decided to stop writing. He put away his laptop from his laps and made himself comfortable by lying down on the green grass. He used his hands for his head, staring up to the sky.

"Umma... " Minho said softly and a sad smile appeared on his lips as he mumbled again, "Umma I really miss you. I wish you were here so that I could ask you for some advice."

 

+  +  +  +

 

"How are you going home?" Taemin asked as he appeared from behind Sulli when she fetched her bag from the locker at the staff's room.

Sulli secretly rolled her eyes but she answered him anyways, "Bus."

Taemin grinned, pushing the door open for Sulli and he trotted after her. "I'm going home as well, I will drive you."

Sulli stopped and looked at Taemin. With a fake smile, she answered him, "No thank you, boss. I can afford the bus fee."

Taemin chuckled. "Of course I perfectly know you can, but is it safer going with me than the bus? It's already dark."

"Then is it safer to ride in a car of an acquaintance I barely know for 2 days?" Sulli replied as she continued on her way. She waved at Luna a goodbye with a smile. Taemin halted his step a bit and smiled.

They both exited the store together and Sulli stopped immediately when she saw Minho was waiting for her. Why was he here? No, she meant, how did he know her shift end at this time? She was sure as hell that she didn't tell him this morning.

"I dropped by somewhere to buy something and I thought I would be already late. Guess I just got here in time." Minho said, taking a helmet and gave it to Sulli. "Let's go."

Sulli stared at Minho and the anger from the morning suddenly returned. Instead of taking the helmet, she turned to Taemin. "Let's go, you said you will drive me home, right?"

Taemin looked at Minho awkwardly and saw the skeptical look on his face. He smiled at Sulli. "Well then... Let's go."

"You are going home with me, Sulli." Minho said sternly. Why did she have to drive him this irritating?

Sulli faced him. "No, I don't want to!"

"Yah!" Minho warned but was cut in by Taemin.

"Okay hyung, rest assured that I will drive Sulli home safely." Taemin said.

Minho rolled his eyes and before he could say anything, Sulli dragged Taemin with her and he leaded their way to where his car is. Minho chuckled incredulously. Sulli drove him insane and she totally had no idea what she ever did to him. Minho kicked the ground frustratingly.

 

 

Taemin chuckled as his car came to a halt at the red-light stop. "I thought you didn't want me to drive you home. But I'm more than happy that you changed your mind."

Sulli resisted the urge to roll her eyes. Didn't he obviously see that she just used him earlier?

"The siblings' quarrel?" Taemin asked but Sulli still refused to talk as she kept staring out of the window. He knew what would make her talk to him and so he tried, "I and Minho hyung met this morning and he knew what time you got off work from me."

Sulli whipped her head to him. "Seriously!"

Taemin chuckled. "So finally you acknowledge my existence and talk to me. I thought I was going to talk by myself throughout the ride."

"Of course I will talk to you, Mr. Lee. I have to give you the direction of my house, don't I?!" Sulli said sarcastically.

"Ah yeah right." Taemin said and then he grined. "But I prefer you calling me 'Oppa' or just 'Taemin' rather than Mr. Lee, so formal like that."

Sulli shook her head. Was Taemin dumb or he just pretend to be one? Because obviously she wasn't interested in him, he just didn't get it and give up already. She glanced at Taemin and saw the silly grin on his face. Despite her taunting way of talking to him, he just never get mad at her even once. He shouldn't have found it funny instead of getting offended, in contrast he always smiled and laughed at her remark. For that, Sulli was wondering if he ever get angry at someone for all his life.

Sulli unclasped her seatbelt when Taemin jerked his car to a stop. "Thanks for the ride, boss."

"You're welcome." Taemin said. "But you really can't drop the formality even now?!"

Sulli alighted the car. "Drive home safely, boss." She said and Taemin nodding with a face that he would never win her. Sulli smiled at that. "See you tomorrow… Taemin."

Before Taemin could even respond, she turned and left. He smiled by himself as he watched her entering her house but then a smile on his lips fading a little as he furrowed his brows when he saw a motorcycle parking before the house. If he wasn't wrong, that belonged to Minho.

"They live together?"

 

+  +  +  +

 

Sulli entered the house and found Minho sat on the couch with crossed legs, facing the door, apparently watching her. He made it so obvious that he was waiting for her. Ignoring him, she changed her shoes before walked straight to her room but then was stopped by Minho in the mid way.

"Don't you think we have to talk, Sulli?" Minho said as he stood in front of her, blocking her way. 

Sulli stared at him for a moment. With no response she turned and went to sit on the couch. Though she hated to face him right now after what had happened this morning and that made her mad whenever she remembered it but then she kinda wanted to see how would Minho try to deal with it.

But before she could urge him to say what he wanted to say right away, she caught the blue box on the table and her eyes suddenly turned twinkle. "Omg is this ROYCE'?"

Minho couldn't help but smiled at that. Sulli is a big fan of chocolate and of course ROYCE' is her favourite chocolate shop ever. "I bought it for you."

Sulli glanced at Minho as she stopped smiling. She suddenly remembered that she was supposed to stay mad at him. "No one told you to buy!"

Minho came to sit next to her. "This chocolate means for the apology." He went straight to the point but he couldn't decide if he should mention about their kiss or not. 

"Oh? What apology?" Sulli played dumb. Now he finally had the gut to apologise her? But with a box of chocolate? Wow! Her first kiss was only worth with a box of chocolate.

Minho knew that she pretended to not get what he was trying to say. He sighed and decided that he would just give in. "About last night… I'm sorry for what had happened. I was controlled by the alcohol and didn't realise what was wrong or right to do."

Sulli suddenly turned to Minho. "Do you hate it?" She asked the only question which was running across her mind all day and she blamed him for that she wasn't completely focused on important things throughout the day. 

"Hate what?" Minho was confused. What did she mean? 

"The kiss!" Sulli bravely asked. "Kissing me last night really made you feel disgusting that you didn't want to talk about it the next day!" She picked up the chocolate. "And this! My first kiss is only worth this much? A box of chocolates?! You are really….Tsk!" Sulli breathed out a harsh sigh to calm herself down. "However you are wrong if you think that I'm gonna deal with your irresponsibility, Minho."

"Irresponsibility?!" Minho repeated and then he had the urge to chuckle yet he couldn't resist to smile at that. He had never thought Sulli was such a straightforward type of girl. "Well then, what is my irresponsibility you mean? For taking the ity of your never-been-kissed lips and forgot about it the next day?"

"Mwo?!" Sulli fumed in anger but seeing Minho smiled like that, something inside of her melted. Ugh! She was supposed to be mad and not find him attractive. She reminded herself. But then she wouldn't deaf enough to not hear his last word. "Forgot? What do you mean by that you forgot?"

Minho smiled slightly. "I don't know if you would believe me or not but it does happen to me. Well, I guess I have this habit within me, once I'm sober I tend to forget what I did when I had the alcohol in my system."

Sulli looked at Minho incredulously. "You are serious?" Minho nodded slowly and she felt her stomach flipped. "So you didn't remember at all about how did you kiss me last night?"

Minho really tried his best to hold in his smile. Sulli was literally saying the word 'kiss' causally without hesitance. As a girl who had been kissed by a man should've been flustered or anything but Sulli...

"I'm sorry Sulli. I really can't remember what did I do to you last night. That's why I really had no idea to why are you mad at me this morning and I was indeed taken aback when you told me that we...well… kissed."

Sulli stared at Minho's face, trying to find the hint of something, something that made her believe that he wasn't telling the truth but much to her dislike, she didn't find anything other than a serious look on Minho's face.

Sulli faced palm dramatically. Didn't it mean that she just dig her own grave for telling that to his face? Minho didn't remember anything and it wasn't what she thought that he didn't want to talk about.

Oh god! Never in her life, she was this insanely embarrassed and wanted so bad to vanish from Minho right now.

Minho couldn't hold it anymore as he chuckled seeing Sulli being brave and embarrassed. He didn't laugh at her, instead he found her so cute. "I guess at least thank to you for telling me that, so we both can deal with it altogether, right?" He said, trying to make her feel better.

"Yah you don't understand?" Sulli snapped.

Minho laughed. "Yeah I really don't since I don't remember a single thing about the kiss."

Sulli groaned. Was he happy to see her in this state? Oh god! She hated this man and wanted so bad to smack him in the face to wipe off that smirk.

"Nah come one, how about we forget about this? Yes, the talk I want to do is about it. I'm sorry for the last night and also this morning which I was quite taken aback. I know I'm bad. I shouldn't have kissed you if I would forget everything the next day." Minho said but then he realized something was off with his meaning which it sounded like that it was such a waste for he couldn't remember it. "Oh I mean-"

"Fine!" Sulli cut him off. "Let's do that!"

"Huh?"

"Huh?" Sulli rolled her eyes. "Didn't you just say we should forget?"

"Oh that..." Minho said and he thought to himself, why did he feel kinda dissapointed that Sulli just agreed with him right away? Yes he didn't remember a thing last night but after knowing it now, he didn't think he would just act like nothing was going on between them. But then again, thing should put in that way despite he like it or not. "We have to continue our lives right? As we live in the same roof... I mean don't be because of that could create complicated situation between us while we are living together as the family."

Sulli on another hand nodding as she was trying to convince herself. Though it rubbed her the wrong way that he initiated them to forget and even brought up the word 'family' but Minho was right after all. Thing between them would become complicated if they avoid to deal with it. Minho had a point but for some reason she didn't totally like it that way.

"Then just that, let's forget and move on. So I think we are done the talking then." Sulli said and even before Minho could say anything, she stood up about to leave but Minho stopped her again.

"Well I think that's done then but there is still another thing." Minho said. 

Sulli somehow was confused to see something in Minho's eyes which she couldn't figure out what. "What?"

Minho pulled her down to sit again and Sulli was slightly surprised with the force he made.

"You and Taemin? Are you guys really dating now?" Minho asked. His eyes were obviously telling her that he needed to hear the answer of 'No' than 'Yes'.

Sulli was beginning to feel irritated again. Who was he trying to seal her away from any men when he was the guy who took her first kiss away? "Dating him or not, do you think it's my obligation to tell you? A stepbrother must know his limit."

Limit. That word again!

Minho just stared at her for a moment before he smiled, obviously a fake smile. "Did we ever talk about this? We did right?! And I thought you take my word seriously Sulli. But you actually don't." Minho said, a hint of dissapointment was shown in his voice. "Fine. Do whatever you want. It's your life and just a stepbrother I shouldn't interfere or step over the limit. I'm sorry if I've crossed the line too much."

Sulli was stunned. Was he mad? Was he? This was the first time Minho is like this, he almost snapped at her and suddenly his gaze turned cold. What word she said that triggered him to get mad? Sulli couldn't find a word to speak when Minho abruptly stood, walking off to his room without saying anything.

"Mwo yah! What is this?" Sulli said to herself dumbfoundedly, some minutes ago she was sure that she was the one who was grumpy and now it was him. For what? For that she made her answer look like she was dating Taemin?

Sulli was sitting like a stone for a few minutes when the door of Minho's room suddenly threw open and he walked out in a rush to the front door.

Sulli stood up and immediately asked him, "Where are you going?"

Minho changed his shoes. "Just somewhere." He looked at her, the cold gaze from earlier was somewhat no longer there but Sulli could feel the distance of his look and the fact that he was going somewhere this late bothered her for some reason. "Lock the door well and just go to bed early." And with that he turned and left with a shud of the door.

Sulli watched the door, blinking. What was that? Was he really mad at her that he needed to get out just like that? And where was he going? Was he going to leave her alone in the house?

"Jerk! He didn't even bother to tell when is he gonna come back?"

 

To be continued.

Updated. It was a boring chapter right? Sorry for the long wait, guys. Btw in case you don't know my lovely readers, I'll just focus on this story, so for the other ongoing stories will be continued once I finished this. Hopefully you understand and wait patiently :)

Thank you so much my beautiful readers. 

Until the next update.

Love you all <3