Chapter 4

Step-Love

 

Sulli sat in front of TV but her mind didn't really focus on the show. Her eyes constantly glanced at Minho as he was washing the dishes in the kitchen.

Sulli changed the channel aimlessly as she was thinking. Now that she got a part time job but she hasn't told Minho. Well the problem is, should she tell him now or pretend that it's just a small deal and just let him know randomly tomorrow? But since she's living with him, is it okay that she didn't tell him right away?

Sulli didn't mean that she cares about his opinion which related to her life but after all they share a roof and so just let him know is something like people called 'sharing' as the housemate. More than that they aren't just housemates but also step-siblings, so to let him know now surely doesn't hurt that much. Right?

"Alright, now that I'm done for my Tuesday duty..."

Sulli almost jumped in her seat when she found Minho was already settled himself on the couch comfortably next to her. Sulli looked away when she noticed Minho was quite close to her, not that too close but almost enough to make her feel his warmth.

"You've been acting so weird since earlier and you seem wanting to talk about something." Minho said. He crossed his legs, looking at Sulli.

"Ugh! Am I too obvious?" Sulli asked.

Minho chuckled. "Yes until I could feel my back burning a hole because of your stare."

"I wasn't staring. They were just quick glances." Sulli argued back and then she smiled a little, looking away. She somehow found his word humorous.

"So what is it?" Minho asked, reaching over Sulli to another side of her, picking up the remote.

Sulli turned in surprise. "What are you doing?"

Minho raised the remote. "Just wanna watch some sport channel." He said in defense and he noticed her cheek turned a bit shade of red. Minho smiled at that. She did not get blushed because of what he did earlier right? Sulli looks cute when she gets shy. This adorable image is much better than her usual cold self.

"I got myself a part time job."

Minho stopped smiling. "What?" He thought he didn't hear her clearly. Did Sulli just say she found a job?

"Well, thing happened like this. I thought I should wait for you to fetch me in a bookstore but then I just happened to know that store needed a part timer, then I just happened to ask them if they still needed one and lucky enough they just happened to still look for one. So I just happened to find myself a job today." Sulli rambled but when she finished it she realized that she just explain Minho too much.

"A bookstore?" Minho asked, obviously not liking it. Sulli never mentioned that she needed a job before. Was her monthly allowance from her mum not enough for her to expend?

"Look Minho, I actually didn't intend to look for a job until a year or two later but… well, it just happened and so I guess I will just give it a try." Sulli said, shrugging.

"What if I don't allow you?" Minho said, more of a statement than a question. "You can ask me if you need anything Sulli."

Sulli scowled. "I'll certainly not ask for your money. I can earn them by myself. Though you are my stepbrother but you absolutely have no control over me."

"I'm not controlling you. But you are my responsibility and I don't want our parents to think that I cannot take care of you well when you are with me." Minho reasoned.

"So you just don't want our parents to think that you are incapable to look after me? You don't want them to think negatively about you?" Sulli asked. She was mad for a reason. She thought Minho was worrying about her but then he just wanted to play a good role of being a big brother in their parents' eyes.

"No! I'm also worrying about you silly and I think that's the most reason why I don't want you to get the job just yet." Minho said.

"Huh?" Sulli's voice was suddenly softer than she intended but then she put up her courage. "Whatever, there is no big deal to fuss over with me working. So I'm going to work and you cannot stop me."

Minho sighed in defeat. Sulli was very stubborn and he was sure that she won't listen to his word which goes against her will. "Okay, alright. If you want it I will not stop you. But you have to listen to me one thing."

Sulli narrowed her eyes.

"Stay away from guys, those who are trying to make moves on you." Minho said, his face was serious.

Sulli frowned. "You mean guys that might trying to hit on me? I encounter few of them in college and-"

"I knew that and that's why I'm telling you this." Minho cut her off. "You sometimes don't know what kind of danger comes to your way Sulli, for example the gang from yesterday. So for precaution, you have to be careful. I can't be with you 24 hours so make sure to tell me if they ever lay hands on you in an indecent way."

Sulli suddenly giggled, forgetting the fact she was just quite upset at him earlier. "You know what does you look like right now? More than a brother you sure look like a protective boyfriend who is ready to attack people who dare touching your girl."

Minho then realized it too and he cleared his throat awkwardly. "You know I did not mean it like that. I just want you to be alerted of those guys' intention because you surely don't know what are their minds working."

Sulli looked at Minho intensely and it made Minho felt slightly uneasy under her scrutiny. He wanted to look away but something seemed to stop him doing so. Yet again because he was mesmerized.

Sulli was beautiful... so beautiful that his heart responded in the way that it shouldn't have.

"How about you?" Sulli said. "You are a guy too and I also can't read what's going on in your mind. Then am I supposed to be alerted with you too?"

"But I'm different. I'm your brother." Minho defended himself almost quickly but then he wanted to smack himself for speaking before thinking.

Just this morning he made sure Sulli need to be careful around the house, most especially around him. And what now!

But wait! Being careful with him and being careful with other guys are two different things. He's her brother and they are not.

But…. Didn't he just get mesmerized by her earlier? His heart even raced faster when Sulli was close to him. As a brother, such things shouldn't have occurred. After all they aren't related by blood, things bound to get complicated if they didn't take control.

Then it means he is also considered as the danger and Sulli has to understand that too right?

But then again if Sulli was told to be careful with him, how could he manage to protect her from the wolfs outside?

Tsk! Minho is in turmoil right now and he might be going crazy anytime soon.

Sulli is a beautiful woman and of course every man would have similar reaction to her beauty. And surely he is no exception.

"You know what Minho?" Sulli said, instantly grabbed back Minho's attention. "You don't have to worry about me with those things and I don't need a protective brother to watch over me as well. I'm out there to study and work, not looking for someone to date. Even if you don't tell me so, I really have no interest to date anyone anyway."

Minho sighed. Sulli was right. She can take care of herself and she surely doesn't need him. But for some reason Minho still found himself want to protect Sulli despite she clearly doesn't need it.

"Maybe I'm too worried that you might meet bad people and I just want to alert you. But if you said you'll be okay… then fine." Minho said and nodded.

Sulli nodded too and clapped her hands together. "Then everything is settled. From tomorrow I'm no longer a jobless person and that you will have nothing to say to hurt my pride again."

That made Minho chuckle. "So young lady, actually you suddenly got yourself a job because you don't want me to think that you are a useless body?"

"Like you do not think like that." Sulli commented.

"Of course I really don't think like that. I never meant what I say bad about you. In fact I just want to tease you. It works every time and it's fun you know."

"Fun huh??" Sulli asked incredulously and much to her irritation Minho nodded.

"Yes really fun." Like now Minho enjoyed himself again in teasing her.

Sulli audaciously kicked Minho on the leg which it turned out that something she had never done before. She smirked when Minho emitted an 'ouch'. She playfully kicked him again and again as Minho moved his legs avoiding her but she still managed to attack him successfully in about few kicks more. Although it wasn't as hard as the first one but Sulli was enjoying it. She enjoyed annoying Minho.

Sulli then quickly jumped off the couch. "That's for teasing me is 'really fun' to you."

"You brat!" Minho said, sending her a scowl. "Who taught you to treat your brother like that?"

Sulli giggled. "No one but it's fair you know." She then walked away casually to her bedroom. On the door she turned to Minho. "Ah! Don't stay up too late. You have to take me to college tomorrow."

As Sulli closed her door properly, a slow smile appeared on Minho's face. As much as Sulli doesn't want to say it aloud but she is beginning to accept him now.

His heart jumped a bit at the thought Sulli will like him in no time if he tried harder but then he also realized that it wasn't even the first time that his heart beat a little faster like this whenever Sulli was around.

 


 

 

Minho felt so fresh and so good that he just completed his regular, early morning jogging which he failed to do so for quite awhile now.

Returning to his house after the morning ritual, Minho made his way to the kitchen to find something to drink. He grabbed his favorite sport drink and closed the fridge. Smiling, he opened the can and drank it.

Across the hall, he heard a door unlocked behind him and out of normal he turned around simultaneously just as to see Sulli stepped out of the bathroom with nothing but a bright pink towel wrapping around her body. Minho almost choked on his drink as his eyes went as wide as a size of plate.

Sulli was standing in front him almost because of that stupid piece of towel didn't do any justice at all to cover her properly enough.

Minho swore that Sulli's milky swell chest and her white thighs almost made him tremble in something that he couldn't put in decent word.

Sulli on another hand did not expect to see Minho came back early. She thought that it would take him for awhile to do his exercise until he returned, that's why she thought it was safe enough to walk out with just a towel and dress up in her room.

Hell!!! Who would have thought her luck isn't with her again!!

With two big steps Sulli reached her room and went in immediately, slamming her door shut.

"Otteoke?" Sulli cried in panic as she leaned her back on the door. She looked down to herself and face palmed. "Did Minho just see me in this state? Oh damn it's so embarrassing. Ahh wae?? Oh otteoke??"

 

 

 

Minho and Sulli were having breakfast in silence. None of them dared to speak anything since the awkward moment this morning.

Minho couldn't bear the awkward silences anymore and so he started. "Sulli-"

"Forget it okay?" Sulli cut him off almost instantly. "Let's forget about what happened this morning and never remind it. I know I'm careless and it's my own fault but I just didn't expect you to finish your exercise so early and I just happened to finish my shower at the same time and then thing just happened and that if I know it could happen I would be more careful. I thought it was alright to be more comfortable to myself and that it turned out I embarrass myself. I… Oh I just… Ugh.. why am I rambling about it so much. Just forget it Minho."

Minho paused for a moment before he laughed.

Sulli scowled at him. "Nothing is funny Minho."

"Alright." Minho said. "Actually I want to say sorry about this morning. I didn't mean to walk in just in time you finished your morning ritual-"

"Do you have to remind it again huh?"

Minho smiled. "Okay sorry. But let me finish first." Since they were engaged into this topic, he should also bring the previous incident. Sulli should know so that she will be more cautious for her own good next time. "Well, I hate to remind it but Sulli honestly this wasn't the first time you are careless."

"What do you mean?" Sulli asked, somehow already not liking what Minho is gonna tell her.

"Yesterday…" Minho started and silently took a deep breath. "Well, did you know that you didn't lock the door when you were taking a shower yesterday?"

Sulli's eyes slowly got wider until she had to cover with her hand as she remembered it. Yes she remembered her stupidity that day for forgetting to lock the door but she never thought Minho could know about it.

"Omg!!! Don't tell me??"

"NO!" Minho defended himself quickly. "I stopped myself on time when I realized it was you and I swear I didn't see anything."

Sulli closed her eyes. If only she could make the ground to swallow her, she would do it already. Sulli just wanted to run away from Minho right now. What an embarrassment she had made to herself? Maybe if Minho was her real brother, she wouldn't feel this much shame to herself but then he is not, in fact he's a stepbrother.

"That's why I was trying to explain thing to you yesterday." Minho continued.

Sulli opened her eyes when something hit her. "You mean when you tell me that things bound to get complicated if I'm being careless?"

"Yeah that-"

"What the hell Minho??" Sulli exclaimed loudly which made Minho startled. "I thought you mean you warn me to…to… aish… you really irritate me to death! Goodness!"

Minho was confused. "Yah! Can't you cut short your temper once? I don't know what I said wrong here."

"Yes you sure don't know it." Sulli said and she stood up angrily. "Next time if you want to tell me something, just make it clear and straightforward." She then chuckled in sarcasm. "I can't believe it." She glared at Minho. "You are really an annoying stepbrother I've never seen one on earth."

"Bwo?!" Minho said and he watched her ignoring him as she stomped away. He shook his head. "Choi Sulli and her childish temper."

"Oh I heard you dear annoying brother." Sulli mocked as she returned to retrieve her bag on the chair. "And are you done now? I'm in hurry here."

Minho took a big bite of his toast. "Give me five minutes."

Sulli looked at her watch and sighed frustratedly. "No you can't. I'm going to have an early test today but before that I need to stop by my workplace to meet my boss first."

Minho sighed and quickly finished his toast and coffee in less than a minute.

Sulli was surprise when Minho suddenly grabbed her hand with him and within a minute they already reached his motorcycle.

Minho gave Sulli her helmet and then he wore his. "Get on."

Sulli obeyed as she jumped on the seat behind Minho. As usual, she circled her arms around his waist.

"Great that you remind me. I just remember that I need to know your workplace and also meet your new boss."

"Bwo?" Sulli exclaimed and she withdrew her hands but Minho quickly grabbed them back to put around his waist. Sulli struggled and so Minho turned his head to face her.

Sulli suddenly lost her breath a little as their eyes met. If it wasn't the helmets to hold their distance, their faces would probably too close to each other. Sulli felt something warm on her cheeks and she quickly looked away, couldn't think of a word she wanted to say.

"Good girl." Minho said with a smile before he looked back to the front. He started the engine and sped off.

Sulli realized then that she stopped struggling to remove her hands and before she knew it, they just already tightened around Minho's waist.

Sulli's felt her heart race in an abnormal beat. She didn't know why it suddenly being like this because she was sure her heart never raced like this before.

And did she just eat something funny? Because now she also felt something funny making a fuss in her stomach too.

 

 

 

 

To be continued.


 

Updated :) Hopefully you guys enjoyed it. I used to actively reply everyone's comment but I'm sorry that now I fail to do that. Believe me I really appreciate them. I always smile whenever I read your lovely feedbacks and thinking 'ah so there are still some minsul's shippers out there are left and they still follow my stories.' Thanks a lot guys for your support and give me inspiration to continue writing.

Btw shinee is making their comeback right now and so far I really love 'don't let me go'. And again, it appears that I inspired by that song and wrote a sad drabble of minsul but I'm not sure if I'm going to upload or not since it doesn't really have a happy ending. Actually I'm thinking of changing the ending a little but haven't thought of one for now ^^

Thank you again readers.

Love you all <3

Till the next update.

Minsul f❤rever!