Chapter 6

The Girl of Two Worlds

Mark's head snapped up when a familiar raspberry scent filled the air. His eyes instantly fixed on the girl that was walking towards the pack. The oxygen in his lungs seem to have disappeared because he suddenly couldn't breathe. His heartbeat quickened and he could hear his own pulse ringing in his ears.

She was beautiful. 

He couldn't even begin to describe the feeling of warmth and desire that spreaded over his chest when his eyes landed on her. His fingers were itching to reach out and touch her but he kept still, knowing full well that the action could freak her out. Her dark brown eyes, looking almost black scanned everyone across the room until it locked on his. In that moment, Mark swore that his knees would've buckled if it weren't for him being already seated. His chest seem to tightened and so many words of desire ran through his head. 

I want her. 

I need her. 

God, she's gorgeous. 

He swallowed and forced himself to look at the ground. Letting out an inaudible breath, he composed himself. This wasn't what he expected. He had hoped that his infamous icy attitude would kick in the moment he set eyes on her but boy, was he wrong. He found himself yearning for her, wanting to just hold her in his arms and shower her with love. Mark closed his eyes and tried to distract himself. He pictured himself running in the forest back home, sparring with Jackson in the space in front of the house and even running away from the Council soliders but nothing worked. Even with his eyes closed, he could still picture her face. In the span of 30 seconds that he saw her, he seem to have memorized every little details about her features. Her almond shaped dark eyes, her cute nose, her sharp jawline and her plump pink lips, everything about her to him was perfection. Why was he falling heads over heels for the girl already? They haven't even properly met yet. 

"Noona, you're back..." BamBam whispered, 

Jooyeon sent him a small smile and parted her lips to speak but suddenly felt a hand touched her arm. It was Jinyoung. He had followed her in shortly after. She blinked at the older before he let out a soft sigh and nodded his head lightly. Her expression softened at his approval before she turned back to face the pack. 

"I want to help." she spoke confidently. 

There was nothing in the world that could compare to the relieve that painted over BamBam's face. He jumped out of his chair and lunged himself at Jooyeon, wrapping his arms tightly around her. 

"Thank you! Thank you, noona." he exclaimed, his voice cracking slightly. 

Jooyeon staggered back slightly due to his weight but nevertheless patted his back gently, giving a soft chuckle. 

"I mean, I'll try to help. I still don't fully know who I am and what I'm capable of yet." 

BamBam shook his head and pulled away from her, "You'll figure it out, noona! I know you'll be a big help." 

He stepped away and beamed at Jooyeon. Jaebum stared hard at her before shifting his gaze towards Jinyoung. 

"I fear the rumor about her will spread quickly. If it gets to the Council then surely, they'll send someone after you two." he spoke calmly. 

Jinyoung met his gaze and nodded. He pondered for a moment about the situation but before his mind got the chance to settle on something, BamBam spoke up. 

"You guys can come with us." he grinned, "It's a win-win situation, hyung. Noona will get to embrace her wolf side if she's with us and they'll be more people to look out for her."

BamBam suddenly tensed then meekly turned to Jinyoung, "...Uhm..not that Jinyoung hyung can't protect her on his own. I mean it'll just be better---"

"I get it." Jinyoung cut in, showing the younger a small smile. 

Instantly BamBam relaxed and that bright smile of his painted over his face once again. 

"Even if I was trained as her Protector, I won't be able to handle the Council all on my own if they really were to hunt us down. Their followers are no joke." Jinyoung said. 

Jaebum nodded, agreeing with hid old friend, "Our lodge. It's hidden by a protecion charm so you'll be safe there. True that you'll be within the place of your enemy but it's safer than here, out in the open. BamBam tracked you down easily and it'll even be easier for the Council." 

"Guess we have a new edition to the family." Jackson smirked, throwing an arm around Mark's shoulders. 

Jooyeon smiled softly at the two boys and while Jackson returned her smile, Mark simply turned his head the other way. Her expression faltered but she pushed the funny feeling away before speaking up, 

"So what exactly am I going to help with?" 

Youngjae cleared his throat, scooting to the edge of his seat, "We have to get Yugyeom back. He's our first priority." 

Jaebum nodded, agreeing with the younger, "Yugyeom is the whole reason we sought out for you. But after that, it's the Council." 

Jooyeon shrugged, "How do I help him? I don't have wolf power, remember?" 

"We know that. But your ability isn't what's going to play the part in this rescue mission, Joo." Jinyoung said, placing a hand on her shoulder. "It's your memories." 

She frowned, not catching on to what they want from her, "But my memories were erased." 

"Not exactly." Jaebum urged, "Jinyoung mentioned you're under a memory charm. A charm can't fully secure or take away something. It's just temporary. Same thing goes with the protection charm around our lodge. It doesn't make the part of our forest inexistence. It simply creates an illusion that our lodge isn't there."

He paused, giving Jooyeon a moment to take the information in. 

"Your memories were replaced with something else, an illusion. That illusion is what's blocking you from your past. So, if something were to trigger said past then maybe things will slowly piece itself together. You'll be able to get your memories back and know, or at least get in touch with your true self better." 

Jooyeon frowned, eyes shifting towards the ground, doubt slowly eating at her, "But that could take forever...My memories aren't just going to suddenly flash back. Yugyeom's life is on the line and we're not even actually sure if my memories will come back." 

"It will, noona." BamBam said hopefully. 

Jooyeon's eyes locked with his and she immediately softened at his expression. The kid had so much hope in her and she would never forgive herself if she couldn't save his best friend in time. 

"Is there no back up plan? It could take weeks or months for me to get my memories back." she mumbled, running a hand through her hair, "We're not even certain." 

Suddenly, she felt a hand gently grab onto hers and Jinyoung smiled at her assuringly. 

"Believe in yourself, Joo. Your connection to our world is stronger than you think." 

She bit her lip nervously, still uncertain. The plan was horrible and yes, it put a lot of pressure on her but judging by the look on their faces, she was really their last resort. 

"I know it's not the greatest plan but," Jackson sighed, "It's the only one we've got." 

---

The travel to the edge of the city was surprisingly quick but that might also be because Jooyeon fell asleep most of the way. She awoke with a sudden jolt and glanced up to see an unfamiliar face peering down at her. She blinked her sleep away and squinted to see that Youngjae was blinking innocently at her. Once he saw that she was awake, a cheerful smile spread across his face.

"I've been trying to wake you for the pass 5 minutes." he laughed, "C'mon, the others are already waiting." 

He cocked his head towards the exit of the bus. The 8 of them have decided to take the bus rather than run through Seoul covered in fur and have people scream in pure terror at the sight of them. Jooyeon stepped off the bus to see 5 boys gathered in front of the bus, Youngjae jogging up to join them and Jinyoung off to the side on the phone. He was probably most likely taking care of the dog cafe business. Surely, they couldn't leave the dogs laying around in the cafe like that. Jooyeon trusted that their neighbour, Miss Kim who happened to be very kind will stop by to feed the dogs and care for them until then. 

Mark was more than glad that he was away from all the noisy city sounds but the scent of raspberry has become his number 1 concern. He couldn't enough yet he so badly wanted to get rid of it. It was like he was standing on the edge of a cliff and the scent was that one last push that going to send him flying. However, Mark was going to hold on for his dear life. Hold on to what, you may ask? Well, probably his last bit of self control. 

Taking a deep breath, he tried to remain sane. He wanted to thanked Jaebum for speaking up and diverting his mind to something. 

"We need to head over to the forest. C'mon." 

Finally, maybe in his wolf form, he would be able to remain in control. It might have taken the rest of the pack by surprise when Mark partically was the first to run towards the forest but he couldn't careless. He needed to feel like hismelf again. This whole whipped puppy act that Jooyeon has him under really was getting under his skin. The rest of the pack followed suit and Jinyoung joined Jooyeon by her side. 

"Are you excited? You'll get to see me in my big fluffy form." he said, a teasing smile on his lips. 

Jooyeon rolled her eyes, laughing at his comment, "Only if I get to ride you into battle." 

Jinyoung gasped dramatically, "Hwang Jooyeon, I am not a horse. I am a proud were-wolf Protector." 

Jooyeon only hummed in response and broke into a run to catch up to the pack that had already disappeared into the forest. Jinyoung tsked but folowed after her anyways. When they entered the forest, Jooyeon could immediately feel the shift of aura in the air. It felt more...right. Like she has entered into a place that was going to accept her no matter what. It was like she belonged. Her little moment was soon broken when a wolf in a deep brown, looking almost black coating stroded over to her proudly. It towered over her but she didn't show any sign of fear. She could sense that it wasn't going to harm it. Tilting her head to the side in curiousity, she wondered if the wolf standing before her was really who she thought. 

"Jinyoung oppa?" she whispered, reaching a hand out. 

Without hesitation, the wolf nudged its head against her hand and a wide smile painted onto Jooyeon's face. It shifted into a teasing one and she reached up even more to rub the space between his ears. 

"Ayyy~ Who knew you would be this fluffy?" she giggled. 

Little did she know, from afar, a pure white wolf was watching her every move intensely. Its icy blue eyes took in the charming smile that had presented itself onto her lips and how her cheekbones hitched up slightly when she laugh. She was truly beautiful in Mark's eyes. Forcing himself to look away, he took a deep breath before walking over to join the rest of the pack.

Jaebum howled a calling, signalling for them to move out quickly and everyone complied. Jooyeon gave a small shout when Jinyoung broke out into a run. She swore she could've heard the wolf laugh. The race to the lodge took some time but not that Jooyeon was complaing. The forest was absolutely breathtaking and the wind blowing through her hair made her feel free. Like she was no longer caged in and can finally let herself loose. 

Jinyoung didn't pause nor did he stagger as he charged straight through the border that divided the two worlds. It was as if the were-wolf world gave him more strength because suddenly, he was hyperaware of the extra adrenaline pumping through his veins. A small press of Jooyeon's hand in between his ears brought him back down from his high. He could sense her smiling. Just by the warmth of her hand, he could sense that she was experiencing something else. 

Jooyeon was in awe. She had never felt something like this before. It was like something she didn't know was missing, was given back to her. Her fingers were tingling and she fought the urge to jump off of to Jinyoung to race him instead. Everything felt different. She could feel the earth, hear little things and smell every scent. However, one caught her nose and it almost knocked the air out of her. It was strong but calming at the same time. It made her feel at ease, like every problem she had was going to disappear. Jooyeon felt light, like she was flying. She didn't realize when her eyes had fluttered close but all she could focus on was the smell. Prying here eyes open, she let out a yelp when she realized she had been thrown forward and onto the ground.

That explains the feeling of light. But, she could've sworn it wasn't because of the fact that she was being thrown off a wolf. It was something else. Her curiousity soon disappeared when her body collided with the ground. She grunted as she landed and instantly, she sprang to her feet, eyes flashing a color that matched with Mark. Everyone saw but none dared to say anything. The pack except Jaebum, shot their oldest an alarmed look but Mark only remained silent as he stared at the furious girl upfront. Jinyoung, who was oblivious of the matching color cocked his head teasingly at the girl. 

"Park Jinyoung." Jooyeon snarled, anger visible on her face. 

The wolf rolled its eyes before disappearing behinda tear to shapeshift back into a human. He returned, hands carding through his messy brown hair. 

"You know, next time, you don't have to grip so hard on my head."

"Maybe I should! So I won't fall off again." Jooyeon barked back. 

The older only laughed before turning to face the pack. He took notice of how they were eyeing Jooyeon weirdly and turned to Jaebum. 

"Something wrong?" 

Jaebum's eyes didn't leave Jooyeon as he replied, "No. Head inside. Youngjae will show you your rooms." 

Jooyeon blinked at the alpha before offering him a weak smile and rushing to Jinyoung's side. It was when the pair followed Youngjae inside the lodge did Jaebum turn to face Mark. The oldest sighed before shaking his head and heading off. Jaebum didn't bother to call after him but only watched. 

"Hyung, you saw that right?" Bam Bam asked, coming up to Jaebum's side. 

"Their eyes color...it's the same. You don't think that's a coincidence, do you?" Jackson spoke up. 

Jaebum sighed and turned to the youngsters, "Let's head inside." 

---

Mark ventured on, letting his feet take him to where his heart wanted to go. He arrived at a little edge that stuck out over a river. Sitting himself down, he dangled his feet over and leaned back on his arms, listening to the sound of the water flowing by. It was quiet, peaceful and the perfect surrounding for what was currently going through Mark's head. His spot wasn't quite far from the lodge so the protecting charm still worked. This was the place for him to get away from reality and just have some alone time. He could still smell the raspberry scent but it was dull from where he was so that was good. He could use a break from that intoxicating scent.

Out of the many thoughts in his head, Mark worried about the ones that were about Yugyeom the most. He was scared and was afriad to think of hwat was going to happen to their youngest. He was only a kid, still reckless and childish. Yugyeom was the most innocent one out of the pack and Mark could never forgive himself if something were to happen to him. He wished that they would act out soon but knew that the key to this mission was Jooyeon. If she can't remember anything of her past, then Yugyeom is as good as gone. A hidden passage has been rumored about the Council Building but no one has found its entrace. Only those who traced back to before the Council came into power would know. This would mean it would either be someone Royal or at least someone who worked for the royal. 

All servants were executed along with their royal master so the chance of finding the entrace was diminished. No groups that proposed rebellion had ever succeed in finding the hidden passage so they lost their chance at the element of surprise. That was probably the only way to take down the Council. Fighting against them blindly was no use so they have to attack within. 

Mark sighed, leaning forward to peer down at the water. It was so clear that the rocks at the bottom were visible. If only Mark's feelings and thoughts were that clear. Maybe he wouldn't have to worry so much about Jooyeon and the Council. Sometimes, he wished that he was easy to read and wasn't so quiet. That would make things better and he wouldn't have to suffer alone so often. 

---

Hi, I'm back from the dead. Hope you enjoy this chapter. I'm not exactly proud of how things turn out but hopefully itll be more interesting in the next chapter ^^ Comment and subcribe yall. I'll work hard and make this story funnnnn.