Chapter 2

One More Beat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Six years ago..

“Yaa!! who are you?”, shouted Shin Hye.

Not long until Shin Hye’s eyes met Rae Won’s. Like a sudden spark inside their heart, they’re both in awe. Shin Hye slowly lose her grip.

Rae Won cleared his throat to break the awkwardness. “Eghmm..”. He took the book from his bag and gave it to Shin Hye. “Here…”

Shin Hye was flustered. She took the book from Rae Won’s hand. “This…….”. She looked at the book then to Rae Won. “Where did you find this?”.

“Don’t you need to say “thank you” first?”. Rae Won raised his eyebrow.

“Thank you”. Shin Hye spitted it out before she bowed and tried to walk away. She looked so confused. Or she was embarrassed. She needed to leave as soon as possible before the man in front of her noticed it. When she was about to leave, she felt a hand gripped her wrist all of sudden.

“Wait”

Shin Hye stopped her step and slowly turned around to face Rae Won.

“Let’s be friends!”. Rae Won said. Shin Hye just stunned and flustered.

 

Rae Won was on his bed with his arms crossed above his head. He kept smiling remembered what happened to him this morning with Shin Hye. He murmured. “Ah, really”. He smiled again handsomely.

Meanwhile, Shin Hye was in her room and laid down to bed. She opened the book Rae Won found earlier page by page and took a photograph that slipped in between the pages, a photograph of young man in his teen wore Judo outfit. She caressed the photo and stared it sweetly. After a moment, she put the photo back to the book and placed it on the table next to her. She tried to close her eyes before her encounter with Rae Won appeared on her mind. Her face was reddening. She quickly pulled the blanket to cover her face. ”Aw..”

 

 

Shin Hye was still in her scrub and doctor gown when she heard a ruckus inside Congressman’s VIP room. She tried to come in and saw some men with formal outfit standing around the Congressman’s bed.

“What’s going on here? Why are you here? Who let you be here? He needs a rest! Go out!!”. Shin Hye shouted. She looked so angry. Congressman Jung just got a surgery and not long before he was conscious again. He definitely needed a rest. She scanned all the men before she noticed a familiar figure standing not far from her. She saw Kim Rae Won, her husband.

“Oppa..”

Her face hardened. Rae Won who heard familiar voice turned around and looked at Shin Hye who looked directly at his eyes.

In the outside VIP room, Rae Won was still on his suit and put both his hands into pocket. Rae Won and Shin Hye tried to talk about what happened. Shin Hye needed to know what and why her husband was in her patient room. They both looked so serious.

“Why are you here, Oppa? You need a permission to come here. Do you know that?”, Shin Hye asked directly to Rae Won. Her face seemed angry.

“I don’t think I break a rule here. I just need to see him”. Rae Won explained coldly to her.

Shin Hye took a deep sigh. “Does Oppa know he just got surgery? He needs to rest. What if something..”

Before Shin Hye finished her words, Rae Won cut her off. “I know”.

Rae Won said without looking at Shin Hye. His eyes were busy looking at Congressman Jung’s room. He saw his co-worker just came out from the room and brought the paper. Rae Won’s eyes back to Shin Hye.

“You know? And yet you still..”. Shin Hye raised her tone a bit.

Rae Won cut her off again. “I don’t care if he’s your patient or not. I just need his signature and throw him into jail”. He stared at Shin Hye with cold gaze like he was not talking with his beloved wife.

Shin Hye smirked. “I don’t care either whether he’s good or bad person or he has killed people in the way. I will still save him. I will try my best to do so. I am a doctor, for me, life matters”. Shin Hye talked back straight to Rae Won’s eyes and walked away, left Rae Won who was in stunned.

Rae Won just stood there and stared at the wall. After a brief moment, he doved his hand into his pocket, took his phone out and made a call. “Did you got him?”. He walked away.

 

 

At Seoul Supreme Prosecutor’s Office…

“Keomsa-nim, do you see this?”. Lee Jun Ho showed a file to Rae Won on his laptop.

“I see”. He walked to his desk and sat down then took some files and read it one bye one. He seemed in rush and tried to scan every words he could see. Few minutes passed, everybody in the office was busy with their own task, when suddenly Rae Won broke the seriousness and asked to Seo Jin Woo with composed eyes. “Where is he, Congressman’s Jung dog?”.

Rae Won walked to investigation room with Seo Jin Woo followed him behind. He opened the door and looked at a man, in his 40’s, wearing white shirt and golden necklace, handcuffed, in the other side of room. The room was only separated by glass where only one side could see the other one, typically an investigation room. He had a tattoo in his right arm. The man looked so arrogant. Inside the room, there was an investigator tried to ask the man but he kept refusing. “I don’t know”. He said calmly.

The investigator hit the table hard. “YAA! Do you think you can fool us? Do you think will free after this?”

“I-don’t-know. Do you not understand Korean? I-don’t-know!”. The man shouted then spitted.

“What a b*stard!”. When the investigator was about to throw a chair to the man, Rae Won opened the door and came inside. He pulled out the chair in front of the man and talked to him with relaxing posture leaned on the chair.

“Where did you bury him, Park Sung Woo?”. Rae Won stared at the man with sharp eyes, like an eagle who ready to eat its prey. The man was taken aback and looked nervous.

“I don’t know!”, the man said in angry tone but his eyes were wavering.

Rae Won scattered photos around on the table. The photos were full of the man and his subordinate in the mysterious place while holding an injury man. The man almost had heart attack and took the photos one by one. His hand started trembling. But he quickly took a breath and diverted his eyes to avoid Rae Won’s intense gaze. He leaned on the chair and threw the photos. “I don’t know”.

The room atmosphere was so intense, even person’s breathe would be heard sometimes. After a few moment passed, the door opened and a man, seemed to be a lawyer, tried to come in and scrolled down a paper.

“This is a letter which order to release Mr. Sul Moo Young”, the lawyer said.

Rae Won quickly stood up and gave a sign to his co-worker.

 “Aiisshi…”, the investigator kicked the table.

They would let him go. The man smirked and walked away from the room.

 

A few hours later..

Two men inside black car seemed focus on looking at some dark place. They were Rae Won’s subordinate. He ordered them to tail on Sul Moo Young. Sul Moo Young looked meeting with mysterious man and gave him an envelope, which looked like having money inside. Sul Moo Young nodded, waved his hand and the man bowed to him then took a leave. Rae Won who was still at his office, read his phone with a tailing report from his co-worker on it. He was satisfied and smirked. Rae Won was reading a pile of paper thoroughly when he recalled his meeting with a man a week ago.

 

Flashback..

A week ago..

Rae Won was waiting for someone in front of an old house. He only wore casual clothes and sport shoes. He looked effortlessly hot. The house seemed empty but Rae Won kept standing in the yard while looking at the floor, sometimes he would look at his watch. After a moment passed, an old man seemed opening the door. Rae Won averted his eyes to him. The old man looked confused seeing Rae Won in his house.

“Hello, Mr. Joo”. Rae Won bowed to an old man in front of him.” It’s been a long time since I saw you with my father”, Rae Won added. The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter