Were

It Takes A Man and A Woman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A loud sigh escaped his lip along with a smoke which quickly faded into the air which distracted him for like few seconds, he doesn’t listening to whatever someone in the other line said to him, his mind busily reminding himself that winter is eventually here. That obvious smoke is the most definite evident on how autumn has ended, tho the snow is yet to come.

“Are you listening?” the person in the opposite line asked, finally realize that she has somehow talk to none since that stupid guy she was talking to has grew quiet, most probably doesn’t listening to her long words.

He blinks upon heard the question, change to hold the phone by his right hand while the left went to scratch the back of his head, not itchy, it’s just he is feeling uneasy now, sensing that he will has to deal with longer nagging from his opponent. Oh how marriage has changed her too much, she is way too talkative now, even almost on par with Mom, and both now love to nag him a lot. “Ne, noona. I’m understand.” Said him later.

“To what?” the noona challenges the guy, she knew that he was just saying the word.

He takes a deep breathe before admitting, “Okay, sorry. I am not listening.” He paused to prepare himself for the long nagging but that noona is unexpectedly so quiet, thus he embraced his own to ask, “can you please repeat what you were saying?”—that he finally ask her. Though he was sure that he let himself got distracted for only like a couple seconds he was never committed himself into this conversation since the first hello, this is bloody early to have someone talking to you this long, yet the noona is somehow too eager and obviously doesn’t care whether her companion interested or not having a long phone call.

The noona doesn’t immediately repeat her words, instead the guy heard a slurping sound, probably coffee since she was a notorious coffee person—she always has to start her day with coffee; once she told him that caffeine prevents her having a bad day, thus he wait. “You are going to be an uncle.” Said her later, and succesfully earn his full attention.

“Oh Goodness. I am going to be an uncle?” he ask still in disbelieve, this definitely a surprise—a pleasant surprise which inevitably lift his lip. The guy suddenly glowing in joy, his eyes sparks in pure excitement, “have you seen the doctor?”

Noona breaks a melodic laugh sensing the change in his voice, now the brother sounds bright, “Yes, your brother in-law took me to see the doctor yesterday. I was going to tell you but you didn’t pick up your phone.” She told him made the brother cringed remembering how he just simply flipped down his phone last night, he was watching soccer match while finishing the wine which was a congratulary gift on opening his tailor shop from one of his college sunbae. Clearly not interesting to share his lonesome me-time with his noona.

“Sorry, Noona. I was busy watching soccer last night.” He told her the truth, was not to especially beg her mercy, it was rather due to he felt that he owed her an explanation. Because his noona never ignored him for anything, she would always choose him over her life. No matter how often they were having fight, the noona has always been around his corner. That thought made him especially feel bitter.

“Ck,” she clicked her tounge, definitely not surprised with his explanation. “Just don’t forget to come home this weekend.” Said her later.

He frowns, “why?” now the man is confused. Why would he needs to be home for the weekend?

There is the sound of something close roughly, probably refrigerator since the second after, he could heard the sound of bottle and liquids in the background, “We’re celebrating my pregnancy.” She explained later, clearly sound annoyed for his cluelessness. How on earth she has this ignorant guy as her brother when the other person in family were all quick-witted.

Her annoyed answer cracks the brother up, “Hey, control your emotion!” he reminded the sister, he takes a pause, grinning wide to whatever running inside his brain, the sister is waiting-most likely try to suppressing her anger, he clears his throat while shallow back his sudden urge to laugh and resume his words in solemn tone, “don’t hate me too much, Noona, or your child would turned out to be just like me.” And with that, he could heard a growl in the other line before the connection is abruptly cut. The noona whom try her best to stop herself from saying out loud the cursing which filled her head and the brother who then broke into a laughter.

 

“What makes you so happy, Chanyeol-gun?”

The guy halted his step and turned to see a middle age woman eyeing him with curiousity, her eyes glowing kindly with a bit of amusement. To her, he shifts the laugh to a dazzling smile, he knew the woman, definitely. “Good morning, Mi Sook ajumma.” Greeted him with a light bow followed. She is not a stranger, they knew each other, he is the regular of her hotteok and she even often gave lots of food, said that she just loved to cook yet there is only two person in her house, thus she loved to give away some especially to young kids like him, whom away from family. She once said that he reminds her of her own kid whom are now lives overseas.

Mi Sook ajumma nods, “You look so happy.” She repeated her words. “I never know that Chanyeol-gun can laugh.” Her later broke made him cracked another laugh, shorter but as joyous as his previous one.

“I laugh a lot, Ajumma.” Said him defending himself, “I’m going to be an uncle, Ajumma.” Told him after with vivid joy and he definitely looks so proud to himself for the news. He is going to have a niece, this is so incredible.

“Wow, tell your sister that I am so happy to hear this.” Said Ajumma who now also gleefully eyes the guy, “Chanyeol-gun is gonna make an amazing uncle.”

The unexpected compliment made the guy slightly blushes, the words boost his confidence and made him grinning wider. His mood soars even higher. The guy really doesn’t dislike the fact that he had to travelled to his workplace on foot this morning, glad that he doesn’t ignore the call from his noona and to not immediately cut their talk like usual, out of sudden—he doesn’t bother with how this day was significantly colder than yesterday anymore.

This is the best way to start a winter in entire twenty seven of his life. He couldn’t ask more.

 

Needs another quarter of hour for him to arrive at his destination, a small building which rather hindered from the main road, mainly because it is covered by the small sycamore tree which grow in the right side of the little garden in the front along with sunflower and roses in the left side, a pleasant look which he grew to liked. The garden is not his idea, it was Mom’s. She insisted on planting each of them rather than his initial plan to have the empty field simply for parking lot. How his plan was made her gasp, thus she mocked his taste as awful while rolled her eyes, disbelieve that her son didn’t inherit her graceful taste and so on. The real drama definitely way longer than this. Forced the guy to immediately agreed on her.

He crossed the garden quickly, checking the small watch in the left wrist which showed that he has eleven minutes before his morning appointment. The guy rushes typing four number on the digital lock before let himself in where a complete darkness greets him.

The guy walked towards the high rack in the right side, pull off his shoes and put them in the bottom pile then pull out a slipper from the upper stack. He claps his hand once and the light immediately lit up while he go to the back of the room to get the robot vacuum.

Both him and the automatic vacuum cleaner are busy, the thing is busy going around the room up to every corner while he starts to arrange his works based on his private notes, he was make sure each of the clothes are all fine before he finally nods, clearly looking so proud on his own ability.

It was shortly after he finish wiping the long mirror near his table when his door opened, a soft chimed heard and followed with a bright hello. The guy breaks a business-kind of-smile upon seeing his guest, greeting that person back while offering his hand.

 

The guest rises up his cup while wandering to the whole room, his attention lingered on the work display the longest. He eyes each of the suit which hanged there with extreme care, “A friend of mine is strongly recommend this shop.” He said then, shifting his eyes to the room’s owner who now sit across him. “He said that Park Chanyeol-ssi makes the best suit.”

Chanyeol smiles to the words, this is not his first time on hearing such compliment. Frankly enough, almost everyone who came here for the first time would tell him the same sentence. In different manner, definitely, some are as formal as this guy in front of him now. Kim Joon Myeon is his name, that was what he told him and definitely was the one written in his business card along with the name of his corporation. Which is the reason on how Chanyeol got to know that his guest is belong to probably the top ten richest family in Korea. Well, to be honest, he can definitely guess even without the obvious proof, seeing how Kim Joon Myeon brought himself is enough.

“So, Mr. Kim..”

The guest cringe a bit on the way Chanyeol call him, “Joonmyeon, please.” He asked.

Chanyeol pauses a second and repeat his words, “well.. Kim Joon Myeon-ssi, I would contact you as soon as the clothes ready.” He said, “Do you need the clothes urgently?”

Joon Myeon shakes his head, “No.” He slurp his tea before breaks a warm smile, “Just makes them neatly.”

The guest stays up until he finished drinking the tea before excuses himself. Before leave, he compliments the little garden in the front, said that he likes the sycamore tree which planted there, said that it has been some while since he saw one. Yet the guy also hilariously worried the tree would completely towered the building in the future, to which makes Chanyeol cringed and honestly said that the matter would be his mom’s since it was her whom insisted on having the tree around.

 

Over two years since Park Chanyeol open his own place, his specialty is suit and the guy has a long line of costumers. They are all loyal to him because like what Joon Myeon said, the guy is the best suit-maker ever, rumor has it. And since the most of his fans comes from higher background makes the credit over his works even higher, means his price is easily higher than regular shops.

Yet he is still works alone. He is just too perfectionist which perfectly topped his lonesome upbringing, the traits which her sister and mother dislike the most. Yet they couldn’t do anything because it is comes from Dad’s.

“Regular sandwich is here,” said a guy in blue apron after putting down a large plate on the table at the corner where Park Chanyeol quietly sat.

“Thank you, Jong Dae-ya.”  Chanyeol said before takes the food and start to have a bite, “You could have just ring this thing.” Said him while glance to the buzzer on the table.

Kim Jong Dae rolled his eyes before invite himself to seat across Chanyeol, “Really Mr. Park? You are busy daydreaming.” The guy directly mocked the guy who now just smirk at that remark, he completely know that the remark is for him yet he has no problem, what Kim Jong Dae said is right anyway.

He is happily munching the food when his head suddenly remembering the good news from this morning, “Yoora noona is pregnant, Jong Dae-ya.” The guy told his friend eagerly, his orbs sparks in the same excitement again. And so his friend’s.

“Goodness. We’re going to be the uncle then!” said him with the same excitement.

The pair is friend from long ago, they were basically grew together, and since Jong Dae is the only son in his family, he also treated Yoora as his own sister. His grin halted midway, remembering something, “that must be why Eomoni told me to come home this weekend.”

Chanyeol frowns, “Uri eomma?” he asked which confirmed by a firm nod from Jong Dae.

“She didn’t tell me the reason tho.” Said Jong Dae later. “Just said that I must come home on weekend.” He recalled, “I should’ve known, she sounds livelier.”

“She doesn’t call me.” Chanyeol muttered quietly which earn a sharp glare from Jong Dae.

“You didn’t answer your phone.” Said the guy before rises up and take the plate with him, leaving Park Chanyeol with the realization about him set the phone on silent mode. Great, he thought to himself, some nagging will greets him sooner or later.

__

 

Good morning, Sunshine..

She breaks a thin smile upon re-reading the sentence. It was sent thirteen minutes over seven to be precise, most probably he sent the text before he went to bed. She sighed while lie herself back to the bed, weighing whether she should call the guy or not. And the girl settled on replying by another text before pull herself out of her comfort blanket.

The winter is coming, though the colder day is more suitable for having a long nap, she has an important thing to do today. She straches out her hand to the table-lamp beside her bed, reach out to the small calendar which fulled with lots of colorful marks on the most date. Her index finger is busily counting the day up until the spesific date which filled with two little pinkish hearts and six tiny stars, thirty four days more. Countdown to the most special day ever—in her life. And the girl beams even wider just with the thought of that day, she is just too excited to think about it, how her heart beating so fast until almost bursting out. How sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter