Strangers and Surprises

Pyongsaeng
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seoul
Now

 

The rubbery yellow mess in front of her would have made a less determined person give up on the idea of re-creating Yoongi's Sunday specialty, but Seulgi was made of sterner stuff. She pinched her nose and shoveled mouthful of what used to be eggs. Waste not, want not.

Seriously speaking, she would have to waste an inconceivable amount of eggs before she would ever want for anything again, at least financial-wise. Yoongi made sure of that. Seulgi had gotten the biggest surprise of her life when she found out how much Yoongi had left her in his will. But the biggest surprise was going to come three years later --- today, in fact, in exactly three minutes and five seconds.

Yoongi had willed to Seulgi an obscene amount of money and a diverse investment portfolio ranging from apartment blocks in Tokyo to fancy villas in Shanghai. The only explanation Seulgi had ever gotten from the solicitor was that Yoongi had inherited his estate years before and that she was the only beneficiary stated in his will.

Seulgi struggled to understand why Yoongi would keep such a secret---not that there was anything to complain about in the life they had shared. He owned a decent-sized dance studio in Cheongdamdong and spent his long weekends at his small free-range chicken farm in Daegu. When she wasn't in their cozy dance studio with Yoongi or helping him run after chickens, Seulgi worked on her calligraphy commissions. It was an art Yoongi had introduced her to on their first trip together, and it had instantly become a passion. The tedious hours she spent perfecting a reminded her that it is not enough to look at the surface and that even the simplest-looking thing may have taken the most complicated process in its creation. 

In spite of her new status as one of the wealthiest women in South Korea, Seulgi didn’t let her lifestyle show it. With Yoongi gone, she wanted to keep everything else in her life as unchanged as possible. She did, however, sell the chicken farm. Chicken chasing just wasn't the same without Yoongi.

Seulgi also continued with her calligraphy. She had always been artistically-inclined as a child but practicality made her choose business as a degree in college. 

The chopsticks fell out of her hands when the doorbell rang. She was half-surprised and half-confused about the prospect of having a visitor. Not many people were interested enough to drop her a visit after life left her laughter the moment Yoongi died. Seulgi stood up, grabbed a bathrobe, and walked to the foyer in her furry orange slippers.

If she had known what would be standing on her doorstep that Sunday morning, she might not have laughed off Namjoon's constant prodding to hire a butler. She was still preoccupied with her thoughts when she opened the door.

There, waiting patiently behind it, was the surprise ---or rather the shock---that would change all that she knew.

Yoongi.

Seulgi blinked. And blinked again. She tried to speak but the stars swirling around her whisked her away.

 

"Miss Kang?"
The voiced called to Seulgi from somewhere far away. She could not place its accent, though she was almost certain that the voice sounded like honey to her ears.

"Miss Kang? Are you alright?"

Seulgi nodded through the haze in her head. She kept her eyes closed to keep the constellation at bay. She felt the cushions against her back and wondered where she was. 

"You had me worried there," the voice said. "I'm really sorry to drop in on you like this."

Seulgi's thoughts began to take form. Eggs. The doorbell. The door. Yoongi.

She sat up. Her living room spun around her. Her stomach lurched. She squeezed her eyes shut until the sofa came to a halt. She peeked through her lashes. Yoongi's brown eyes gazed back at her. She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter