God's gift

amore

God’s gift

 

It is just a normal afternoon (normal for the busiest couple in South Korea, that is) in their house. He lays his head on Byulyi’s lap, eyes closed with a small, content smile on his face as his wife runs her fingers through his hair. He thinks nothing can top this; the quiet, content afternoon they spend together—no calls from their managers, no friends barging into their house, and their puppy quietly snuggles against Byulyi’s hip, soaking the warmth from the blonde woman.

 

Nothing, of course, until Byulyi breaks the silence in the room.

 

“You know,” she drawls, tone suspiciously nonchalant, “We won’t have this quiteness forever.”

 

He blinks open one eye. “And why is that?” he asks, furrowing his brow at her. She instantly sports a nervous look, her bottom lip as she stares at him. “Byul?”

 

“Well, uh,” Byulyi clears , “Someone will join us in the near future.”

 

Oh. “Are your sisters coming, then? Will they come with parents-in-law too?” he enquires as he starts to get up and make a mental list of the meal he can prepare in such a short notice. However, before he can even lift his torso, Byulyi lands a hand on his chest, halting him.

 

“No,” she says, shaking her head. “Not them.”

 

He blinks, confused. “So...who is coming then? Ah—“ he flicks a glance at the sleeping pup at her side, “Jjing-jjing?”

 

“No, oppa.”

 

“Then who?” he starts to whine. He just wants to go back to relax with his wife, dammit. “Who will be here then?”

 

Her cheeks flush red, surprising him. “Do you—do you remember when I said I needed to go with Hyelim-unnie the other day?” He nods. That day somehow felt strange to him, yet Byulyi didn’t say anything, just ‘I’ll tell you later, oppa’. He’s forgotten to ask further until she reminded him now. “Well—I...I went to a clinic.”

 

“WHAT?”

 

“I’m not sick, oppa. I’m fine,” she smiles, quickly reassuring him. “Completely fine and healthy.”

 

He raises his hand, thumb gently caressing the smooth skin of her cheek. “You sure?”

 

She tilts her head and kisses the palm of his hand. “Yes,” she nods, her other hand taking a hold of his hand on his stomach and lay it on hers. “For a mother-to-be, I’m 100% healthy.”

 

“Oh, good.” He starts to close his eyes when her words sink. “Mother-to-be?” he exclaims, eyes wide in shock. He sits up, ignoring the bark from the small puppy, and cups her cheeks, staring right into her teary eyes. “Byul—are you—are you—?”

 

“...pregnant, yes.” She sniffles a little as she lays her hands on top of his. “I know we decided to wait at least two years before considering to have children... and it’s not even two years yet... Are you okay with that?”

 

“Silly woman,” he chuckles, bringing his face closer to hers. His thumbs wipe away the tears spilling from the corner of her eyes. “Of course I’m okay with it. I’m excited even! Wow, just—wow. I can’t believe this; me, a father to—“ he pauses, looking down at her still-flat stomach, eyes soft, “—our child.”

 

“I’m glad,” she laughs, looking relieved. “Oh, great, will I be a crying mess for the next eight months?” she grumbles half-heartedly. Minhyuk merely chuckles in respond, causing her to glare at him.

 

She is silenced, however, as Minhyuk leans for a kiss; long, tender kiss that makes her melt into his arms. He envelopes her in a warm embrace, tilting his chin to deepen the kiss, saying thank you, thank you, thank you in his head. Byulyi whimpers, hands his shirt, not wanting to let go of this man forever.  

 

“I love you,” Minhyuk murmurs, gazing at the brown eyes he loves. “I love you, I love you, I love you—“

 

“Stop it, you.” She giggles, slapping his arm playfully. “Saying it once is enough.”

 

“Never,” he declares, kneeling on the bed to drop a kiss on her stomach. “I will say it again and again until I’m unable to say it—even so, I’ll seek ways to tell you and this child everyday.”

 

“Sap,” she replies, shoving him to the mattress. He laughs, rolling over to wrap his arms around her waist while he lays his head on her lap. “No wonder Yongsun-unnie looked disgusted when she found out this side of yours.”

 

“It’s your fault for being cute and adorable,” he jokes, laughing at the deadpanned look crossing her face. “What? You’re cute, adorable, and beautiful at once. Complete package.”

 

“Even when I’m fat and swollen?”

 

“Yes, and even when we’re old and wrinkled no one calls us unnie and oppa anymore.”

 

“Ugh. Don’t remind me about it.”

 

“I’ll still love you even then.”

 

“You better do, Lee Minhyuk.”