A Taste of Their Own Medicine

Every Little Thing She Does is Magic

To your utmost relief, the dreadful platinum-blonde hair was gone by the time you had woken up the next morning. You had stood before the mirror, gratefully running your fingers through your perfectly normal-colored locks of hair as the girls in your dorm passed by, offering you sympathetic looks.

One sympathetic look you were unwilling to even acknowledge was that of Taehyung’s, who had not stopped staring at you throughout the day and during every class you shared together. And there were a lot of those.

His attention was so excessive that even a few of the professors had noticed.

“Taehyung,” Professor Vector calls out during Arithmancy lecture, waving her wand so that a few sparks crackle from the tip. “Is there something interesting over in that direction of the classroom that you’d like to share with the rest of the class?”

Taehyung jumps back in his seat a few inches and looks at the irritated professor with widened eyes before shaking his head fervently. You roll your eyes at his cartoonish antics and proceed to ignore him as he tries to burn holes into your face periodically throughout the rest of the class period.

As soon as your class is dismissed, you jump from your seat with your materials in hand and weave through the tables hastily in order to put distance between you and the miscreant. As soon as you are out of the classroom, you take advantage of the horde of students walking down the hall and skillfully blend into crowd as you hear Taehyung calling your name.

It is with great relief that you manage to reach the library without being caught by him. With a quick nod to Madam Pince, you rush toward the labyrinth of books and hurry to the farthest part of the library. Finding an empty desk, you drop your materials on your desk and rifle through your bag, retrieving a book you had specifically searched for the night before after the prefect meeting had concluded.

“Unique Charms and Spells” was lying before you, a treasure trove of knowledge that would help you on your newest mission to pay Taehyung and his gang back in full. After casting a furtive glance around the library, you retrieve a blank piece of parchment and quickly cast a disguising charm on it. If anyone were to look over your shoulder and attempt to read your battle plans, they would only see lines upon lines of arithmancy problems.

Flipping through the book and scribbling fervently, it had not taken long for you to amass a sizable amount of ideas for pranks. As you are busy fleshing out a particular idea, you hear a voice behind your right shoulder, making your blood freeze cold.

“How in the world is that charms book helping you figure out those arithmancy problems?”

Your head snaps backward toward the source of the voice. Taehyung is standing with his arms crossed and his head tilted to an almost comical degree as he stares at your charmed parchment. He leans forward, biting his lip as he scans the parchment, then looks at the charms book with bemusement.

You surreptitiously place an arm over the charms book and break the awkward silence with a burning question of your own. “Taehyung! How did you sneak up on me like that?!”

His eyes flit over to your own. “You were so absorbed in your work that I don’t think you would have even noticed if I had started strip dancing in front of your table.”

The succeeding thought makes you blush heavily. “E-ew! Please don’t even joke about that!”

“What, why?” Taehyung asks, faking an expression of shock. “My mother told me I was very handsome. Was she lying to me?”

You stare at him blankly before sighing and shutting your book, shuffling your charmed parchment over it before he can see its cover. “That’s just gross, Taehyung.”

“What’s gross, [Y/N]?” Taehyung asks innocently. “Is your mind dwelling in the gutter?”

You scoff indignantly, and stand abruptly from your seat. “I’m going back to my dorm.”

As you begin to walk away from the irritating boy, you hear his footsteps patter behind you. “Wait up, [Y/N]!”

“Taehyung, please. You’re going to get us banned from the library!” you hiss at him quietly. As the pair of you pass by Madam Pince, you see her eyes follow Taehyung with suspicion. Sometimes you wondered if she was the only other person in the castle who had enough sense to recognize the troublemaker within him.

“[Y/N], listen, about yesterday – “

“Forget it,” you interrupt him, waving your hand in the air dismissively. “It’s always been my dream to be a rich Malfoy for a day,” you drawl sarcastically.

“I was only trying to – “

“You could have had Jimin give me the antidote to that, too. But why bother? Why not let me embarrass myself in front of Yoongi and all of the other prefects in the castle?” you continue, ignoring the strange look that passes over his face after hearing the second half of your statement.

“Your – “ he pauses, looking hesitant for a second. “Your hair is very distinctive. I thought maybe it would help to throw anybody off your scent if you looked different. The prank only worked on you, anyway. So nobody would have connected you to it.”

You abruptly stop in your tracks. “Seriously? You think that was a valid solution?” you growl, feeling incredulous at his train of logic. “Don’t you think suddenly having platinum blonde hair is more suspicious?”

Before he can do any more than open his mouth to respond, you cut in once more. “Do you really think Yoongi would have thought for a second that I was responsible for that mess? I think he has more faith in me than you do.”

He stares at you as if he’s been slapped in the face. His reaction puzzles you, but you decide you’ve had enough of the strange troublemaker and turn on your heels, heading toward the Gryffindor common room. Taehyung doesn’t follow you.


 

On Saturday morning, you wake up in response to a strange sensation. You blink in the darkness in confusion, wondering what had caused you to wake up while it was still dark outside. You are not left wondering for long when you feel a cool, soft sensation slithering up your bare thigh.

Screaming in horror, you throw the covers off of yourself and jump to your feet. The object that had been sliding on your leg falls to the ground as you withdraw your wand from your pillowcase. You quickly cast lumos, revealing an average green ribbon on the ground. You take a few seconds to calm down, breathing deeply as the sense of danger passes, before leaning down to grab the ribbon.

As you stare at the bland-looking ribbon, clenching it in your hands angrily, a voice interrupts.

“[Y/N], what the heck is going on?” Irene asks with a confused look as she brushes her hair in front of a vanity. “I know you put a soundproof ward on your bed, but I could see you screaming. Everything okay?”

Your hand trembles as you stretch it outward to show her the green ribbon. “Taehyung. He put a transfigured snake in my bed.”

Irene looks at the ribbon with an eyebrow raised. “Umm. Surely you know that boys can’t come into the girls’ dorms.”

You grit your teeth with frustration. “Of course,” you hiss. “But I know he did this. And I am going to pay him back. And I know for a fact the boys’ dorms aren’t warded against girls.”

“[Y/N] – “ you ignore Irene’s worried pleas and stomp out of the dorm, heading down the stairs toward the common room.

A few Gryffindor Quidditch players, including Jimin and Jungkook, are filing out of the common room together, laughing raucously as they head towards the portrait hole, not noticing your sudden entrance.

“Taehyung needs to learn to wake up on time, man,” Jungkook complains, the gruff sleepiness tainting his usually melodic voice.

“He stayed up all night working on that project of his, what did you expect?” Jimin replies in his smooth tenor.

“Well at least it gives me an excuse to prank him into waking up. Who knew ink transfiguration could have so many uses?” Jungkook elbows Jimin as they laugh hysterically while slipping past the portrait hole.

Project, huh? It didn’t take a wild guess for you to figure out what that meant. You bit your bottom lip angrily as you rushed into the boy’ dormitory tower on the opposite side of the common room.

You pass by a sleepy boy who does a confused double take upon seeing you. Without listening to his bemused outrage, you hurry past him to reach the fifth year dormitory. Without a second thought, you burst into the dorm belonging to Taehyung and Jimin, as well as two other male students.

Darnell Thomas jumps back with a start, almost dropping his school robe on the floor as you stomp into the room.

“Where is Kim?” you demand, an angry edge creeping into your voice.

Sam Finnigan wolf-whistles from his four-poster bed as he throws a ball into the air while lying down, his tie haphazardly slung over his neck. “If you’re looking for a Kim, then I think you’re searching in the wrong dorm, sweetheart.”

“I’m not playing,” you hiss angrily, drawing your wand on him. “Tell me or you’ll be vomiting slugs for a week.”

He misses his catch out of shock. “Alright, alright. He’s in the loo, geez. Chill.”

You throw an icy glare his way before rushing to the bathroom door and bursting in with no precedent.

“Taehyu – “ the beginning of your angry rant catches in your throat as your eyes lock onto Taehyung’s dripping wet form, clad only in a maroon towel. The foggy mist in the bathroom circulates around the room, reflecting the lighting of the bathroom in a way that illuminates his form even more predominately. His abdomen and arms are well-defined from years of Quidditch training.

He turns to look at you, his hand clasped on a towel that he uses to dry his wet hair. You watch in surprise as his biceps ripple while he musses his hair with the towel. As soon as his eyes catch sight of you, he drops the towel in surprise. “[Y/N]! What are you doing here?” he asks with wide eyes.

“I – I…” your voice trails off as you are slammed with the realization of your impulsive actions. The only thing you can manage to do is stand there with your eyes frozen on his damp form as your face grows unbearably hot with mortification.

The pair of you are locked into a stunned silence for a few seconds, before his face relaxes and he steps forward, shortening the distance between you. You take a step back immediately out of fear, but before you can turn away and rush out of the room in shame, his voice arrests you on the spot.

“Any reason why you rushed to join me in the bathroom wearing those clothes?”

Your mortification is amplified as you look down, realizing you are wearing nothing but a flimsy tank top and a scandalous pair of boy shorts. A quick glance in the mirror showed that your hair was tousled in a messy manner.

He smirks sheepishly, his eyes raking over your prone figure. “Well, I guess you just couldn’t wait long enough to see my handsome face today, huh?”

Your face grows red as the feeling of embarrassment is replaced by anger as he reminds you of your reason for storming into the boys’ dormitory in the first place. You step forward angrily until you are only a couple of feet in front of him. “What is the meaning of this?” you hiss angrily, shoving the long, green ribbon into his bare chest.

Taehyung curls an arm to grasp the ribbon and lifts it up to examine it closely. “It’s a pretty ribbon. You should wear it,” he smiles innocently, before holding it back toward you for you to take.

You sputter indignantly at the blatant dismissal and condescendence. “This. Ribbon. Is. Not. Mine.”

He stares at you with confusion. “Did you think it was mine?” Without waiting for a response he wraps the ribbon around his head and turns to look at the mirror. “Hmm, I’m not sure green is my color. You can have it,” he smiles before removing the ribbon from his head and holding it out for you.

Rage fills your every pore as you smack the ribbon out of his hand. “Fine, Taehyung. Fine,” you grit your teeth, forcing your tone to remain steady. “If that’s what you want, then that’s what you’ll get.”

“What do I – “

His question is interrupted and muffled by the sound of the bathroom door slamming as you rush out.

As you exit the humid room, you are met with the sight of a winking Sam Finnigan. You growl at the gesture and fire a bowel-loosening hex at the boy, not bothering to try again after he barely manages to evade the attack. Instead, you hurry out of the dorm, barely able to contain your humiliation as you stomp down the stairs, eager to put as much distance between you and Taehyung as you possibly can.


 

“Are you sure you don’t want to come with us?” Joy asks you once again as she and Irene gather their belongings from the table.

You glance around the Great Hall making sure you can still see Taehyung and his small group of friends. “Yeah, I’m sure. I need to get something done today. Don’t worry about me, guys,” you assure them quietly.

Irene casts a meaningful glance your way. “Alright, don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.”

Joy smacks Irene’s back lightly, and bites back teasingly, “What wouldn’t you do?”

Smacking lightly back at her, Irene grins, “Hey, hush! I have a reputation to maintain. See you around, [Y]N!”

You wave goodbye to the pair of girls with amusement as they leave before taking your goblet of pumpkin juice and sipping it slowly as you glance surreptitiously at the trio of troublemakers further down the table. You scoff into your potatoes as you watch Jungkook attempting to fling his food at Jimin with a spoon. Not even at the dining table could they act like dignified human beings for ten seconds.

You put up with their unrestrained behavior for the following fifteen minutes, eating slowly enough to have an excuse to remain at the table. Finally, when you were beginning to think that they were never going to leave, they begin to gather their bags and stand from their chairs.

You slow down to a stop as you watch them walk toward the grand doors of the Great Hall. You stand slowly, gathering your belongings as quickly as you can without raising attention. Then, you shuffle out of the Hall just in time to see them turn around the corner toward the castle entrance closest to Hogsmeade. You glance around the empty corridor before casting a muffliato spell on your shoes and a disillusionment charm on yourself. You hurry after them, keeping a safe distance from them as you follow them out of the castle and into the small wizarding village of Hogsmeade.

Grudgingly, you trail behind them as they travel through Hogsmeade, taking their sweet time in the Quidditch supply shop and Honeydukes Sweet Shop. After a particularly long visit at Zonko’s Joke Shop, they finally head toward the The Three Broomsticks.

You duck into an alley, canceling your muffliato and disillusionment spells. Then, you reach into your bag in order to retrieve a bland wig that differs greatly in style and color from your own hair. As you arrange the wig on your head properly, you smile as you consider the benefits of adopting some muggle ideas. Some wizards were just too quick to dismiss the ingenuity and simplicity of certain muggle inventions. With a small amount of effort, you manage to transfigure your school outfit to look like undistinguishable wizarding clothes.

With a quick scan to make sure that everything looks in order, you take a deep breath of anticipation and soften your expression into a neutral one. It wouldn’t do to be noticed because you stand out.

A soft bell chimes as you walk into the inn. You scan the room quickly, looking for the Golden trio. Finally, you manage to spot them sitting in a table near the middle of the tavern. With a small grin, you walk toward a booth situated at the edge of the tavern that manages to keep them in perfect line of sight.

You have barely just enough time to take notice of the pastries sitting on each other boys’ plates when Madam Rosmerta walks up to their table, levitating three goblets. “Three butterbears, my dears.”

The boys chime their thanks as the butterbeers are set onto their table in front of them. Madam Rosmerta smiles and leaves their table to walk to yours.

“Welcome, dear. What shall I get for you?” she greets you amicably as she summons a quill and notepad from her apron.

You smile and respond. “Three butterbeers. And one pumpkin muffin, and two chocolate trifles.”

“Ah, expecting some more friends?” she asks kindly.

You consider saying you’re just especially hungry today, but ultimately decide against it.  “Yes ma’am. Although, we may dine out.”

After a hum of confirmation, Madam Rosmerta leaves. You return to watching the trio as they chat and eat their pastries, silently willing them to not eat too quickly. It wouldn’t do it they failed to give you the chance to pay them back.

A few minutes pass and Madam Rosmerta returns with your food levitating in the air in front of her. “Here is your food, deary. And some boxes in case you decide to eat elsewhere.”

You pay her in full, leaving a small tip for her after she conjures a set of boxes for you. As soon as she leaves, you get to work on imitating the present look of the trio’s pastries. You silently break apart the muffin and the two chocolate trifles, leaving only portions of food identical to each plate on the boys’ table. Slipping a marked vial from your bag, you retrieve a small plastic bag full of three strands of hair. After dropping all of the strands into the vial, you pour a few drops of potion into each pastry. Then, you draw your wand and quietly cast a switching charm on each plate, focusing on the destination for each with great focus. Minute differences appear on the pastries on your table, proving with very minor subtlety that the switching charm had worked.

Accepting this as encouragement, you pour small amounts of butterbeer from all three goblets into an empty conjured goblet. Then, you withdraw another specifically marked vial of blue potion and pour a few milliliters into each goblet. The resulting solution flashed blue, before returning to the rich caramel brown of a normal, untainted butterbeer.

After watching to make sure that all of the boys had taken a bite from their pastries, you proceed to perform the switching spell on all three of the goblets, replacing them with those that are on the boys’ tables. Once again, subtle differences in volume of each switched goblet alert you to your success.

With a pleased grin, you sit back and watch the boys as they drink from their goblets. As planned, none of them blink an eye, even as their skin and hair begin to turn blue. You snigger into your hand as they cluelessly continue to chat away, the effects of the mild, personalized Notice-Me-Not potion mixed into their pastries not allowing them to take notice of each other’s drastic change in appearance.

Jimin wasn’t the only one with more than just a mere passing talent in potion-making. With the addition of this specialized mixture, you were certain it would be much too late for Jimin to brew a counter-acting potion before a majority of the school managed to see the trio in all of their Smurf-like glory. All it had really taken was a special recipe in a potions book found in the library and three simple summoning spells during breakfast.

Your grin spreads even more widely as you watched them gather their belongings before standing up from the table. You stash the vials into your bag carefully, removing your wig and the transfigurations on your outfit before standing up as well. You fight to withdraw your smug grin as you watch the other customers in the tavern do a double-take as the boys pass by their tables. Soon, most of the tables are chuckling and whispering to each other in amusement. The boys, none the wiser about their present situation, ignore the roused crowd as they shuffle out of the tavern.

You follow after them at a careful distance, taking great pleasure in the astonished remarks by the crowds of students and adults in the streets of Hogsmeade. Finally, as they approach they approach the Hogwarts gates, oblivious to the giggling students, somebody finally steps in front of them.

“Messrs. Kim, Park, and Jeon,” Professor McGonagall begins with a stern look. “Would you mind explaining the meaning of this?”

A small crowd of returning students begin to gather around the scene as the three boys stare dumbly at her in silence. You step in among them to have the privilege of viewing the unfolding events up close. “Sorry professor,” Taehyung begins after glancing at the other two boys. “I’m afraid I don’t understand what you mean.”

The strict professor crosses her arms, casting them a look of disappointment. “Your appearances. Surely you do not expect me to believe that you have no idea what I am referring to.”

All three of the boys look downward to examine their clothing. After a few moments, Taehyung gasps in realization. Your eyebrow raises in question as you doubt the potency of your Notice-Me-Not potion for the few seconds it takes Taehyung to reach up and fix his Gryffindor tie in its proper place. You roll your eyes, feeling a small sense of relief that your potion had not failed. Jungkook and Jimin widen their eyes with realization and fix their ties as well. The three boys meet Professor McGonagall’s pointed stare with pleased expressions, foolishly believing they had solved the issue.

“You boys cannot possibly be serious,” the professor stated with a hint of incredulity in her voice

“Sorry professor?” Taehyung asked in confusion. “Wasn’t it the tie you were referring to?”

Professor McGonagall’s lips set into a thin line. “I am very disappointed in you three. I never expected such disrespect from you. Five points from Gryffindor. Each.”

She her heel and stalked toward the entrance of the castle. The Tarnished trio stared at each other with a loss for words.

“What just happened?” Jimin murmured, looking horrified about the apparently pointless loss of points.

“Blimey, that was cold, mate,” Sam Finnigan stepped forward, clapping Taehyung’s shoulder with an amused chuckle. “She isn’t gonna forget that for a good while. Was a good chuckle though. ”

“Huh?” Taehyung stared blankly at the Irish boy as he shook his head with mirth and walked toward the castle with his group of friends.

The rest of the student body that had gathered around to watch the scene began to file toward the castle as well, laughing and giggling while continuously looking back to watch the Gryffindor trio. You hazard a look back as well as you laugh at their bemusement. It felt good to be on the giving end rather than the receiving end of a prank for once. You had definitely granted them an honor that they had clearly not had enough of, despite their affinity for pranking.

Before you turn your head back to face the castle, Taehyung catches your glance with a look that conveys a desire for help. You cover your mouth to hold back another round of laughter as you face forwards and walk among the other students.

Revenge was definitely sweet.


 

Approximately four hours later, the three boys are sitting in the common room, having grown used to the inexplicably sudden surge in popularity for the day. They are seated at a table together – Taehyung and Jimin are playing a round of wizarding chess while Jungkook busied himself with the task of tinkering with a few of the magical joke items he had picked up from Zonko’s Joke Shop.

After Jimin completes his move, he sits back and silently watches as Taehyung examine the board closely, contemplating his move carefully. A sudden change captures his attention, causing him to stand abruptly from his seat.

“Taehyung! You’re blue!”

Taehyung and Jungkook look up at the sudden exclamation, eyes meeting Jimin’s alerted ones. Both sets of eyes widen in response. “You’re blue!” they exclaim together.

“What?!” Jimin shouts in response, looking down with panic. “Why am I blue?!” He looks at Jungkook’s frozen form on the other end of the table. “Why are you blue too, Jungkook?!”

“Am I really?” Jungkook asks with a raised eyebrow before looking at his hands. “Huh. Cool. Well, that explains McGonagall.”

The other two boys stare at the younger boy in disbelief as he returns to tinkering with his items without a further word.

Taehyung turns to stare at Jimin, who is looking down his trousers with a growing expression of horror.

“Mates, I think we’ve been had.”