Still By Your Side

Still By Your Side
Please log in to read the full chapter

Tired dropped WooHyun on the back seat of the spacious car. The night had been way too short for his liking. The young author knew that no other than himself was to blame for his tired state of mind. If he would have acted like most normal people around him, he wouldn't be this tired. Like them he could have closed his laptop between ten and eleven o'clock in the evening and put it in some corner far away from him to disconnect from his current project and find some sleep. However, WooHyun wasn't someone who was able to do such a thing. The dark-haired author had been too captivated by his own story that he couldn't help but to continue writing. Even back in his high school days he practised this excessive and (sometimes) arduous writing habit. A habit which caused him lots of problems as he missed (or better said overslept) many due-dates, meetings and papers at school, with his publisher and his editor. Although the student knew that his publisher doesn't like seeing his unreliability, he never had even heard a single word from the staff or the big boss of the small company about it during the past two years. The reason for this was his currently on going fantasy series, Astrinale.
The first book in this series immediately had touched the nerve of interest of the society. In less than two weeks has his book earned the title of a bestseller. People abroad soon fell in love with his story too. The demand to know how the story will continue was high. Now, almost two years later, it was time to let his story continue. Just a bit over a week ago the second part of the series had been put on the market. Unfortunately this meant, that he had less time for his studies and his story as he needed to promote his newest book (despite the already achieved sales record).

WooHyun hated these public appearances like the plague. The very thought of being the centre of attention intimidated him. When his first book has been published, he was able to avoid doing any of the promotions. Although magazines and television stations wanted to interview him and drag him in front of their cameras, he didn't follow their requests. He didn't have to, as his publication company promised him to not make him do promote while he was still in high school. They even promised to keep his identity hidden so he could spend his last high school years in peace. He was given a good sounding pen name and they didn't put a photo in the short biography, which one can find in every book. This helped him hide his true identity from the public. However, now that he was a university student, his company thought that he needed to promote his newest book. Apparently it was his duty as a writer. Without much hesitation they booked several events, which would take place in the next couple of weeks.
Today there was 'only' an autograph session at the Kyobo Bookstore in Gangnam on his schedule. The whole event would be two hours long. What made this event so special was that this would be the first time WooHyun would show himself to the public. This was a big deal. Such a big deal that people on the street and even news magazines were talking about nothing else since the official announcement of the autograph session.

Just when WooHyun wanted to close the heavy door of the car, to hide himself from the maliciously bright sun rays, his manager prevented him from doing so and kept the door wide open.
"Nervous?", he asked with an incredibly joyful expression on his face.
WooHyun immediately turned his head and muttered something unintelligible. The manager smiled when he saw the young authors reaction to his question and patted him encouragingly on the shoulder.
"You can do it! Believe me! This will be over in no time and who knows, you might enjoy it in the end", he said, which let WooHyun sigh loudly. It was obvious that he didn't believe his manager one bit.
"If only everything was as simple as writing these books. Hyung, do I really have to go there?", asked the young student with hope in his voice. Pityingly looked his manager at him, shook his head and told him that he had no other choice than to attend this event. Another sigh escaped WooHyun's throat before the manager grabbed the door and shut it close.

The tinted windows sparsely let the bright rays of the sun shine inside of the car, thus WooHyun leaned his head back and closed his eyes. A sudden loud noise let him know that his manager had also got into the car now. Not long after, he heard the soft hum of the car's engine and he felt a light, almost imperceptible tremor. For a few more seconds he held his eyes close. He let his mind wander back to his story. The scene he just wrote down a few minutes ago played lively in front of his inner eye. He could feel that the end of his books would be coming soon. It was still unclear how it would end but the final battle of the main character drew closer and closer. The mere thought of that made his heart sink. He spend so much time working on this story and it's characters that it hurt when he just though of saying goodbye to it all. Especially thinking of saying good bye to two characters in the secondary storyline made him sad, as their fate had fascinated him the most.

That all too familiar face of a stranger appeared in his mind. SungGyu.
So many nights had he dreamed of this good looking stranger. Even longed for him and hoped, that there really was a man like him somewhere out there in this world.
His slightly longer red hair blew in the breeze. Although his fire red hair were very eye catchy because of it's colour, it were the eyes of the warrior that caught his attention and won him over. Lovingly looked the redhead at him with his dark small eyes. Eyes which made WooHyun feel a pleasant warmth.


"Freeze!", said a determined sounding voice behind WooHyun.
The dark-haired young boy, who just turned twelve years old a few days ago instantly stopped in his track. A boy who was dressed in plain brown cloth stood in front of him and looked at WooHyun with suspicious eyes. The stranger seemed only a bit older than himself. The hand of the stranger was lying on the handle of a dagger, which he wore on his belt. As if he would play with the idea to take this dagger, he clutched the handle of it. Shortly after, however, he let he handle go, only to clasp the leather bound holder again a few seconds later.
"Who are you and what are you doing here?", demanded the red-haired stranger, which made WooHyun hastily take a step backwards. Nervously wandered his eyes between the dagger and the face of the stranger back and forth. His heart was racing and his hands began to tremble.

"I... I...",WooHyun began, but because of his fear he wasn't able to speak properly. He tried a few more times to make a decent sentence but his mouth didn't form any proper sounds, as if it had forgotten how to do it after the stranger appeared behind him.
The redhead became increasingly impatient. After hesitating for quite a long while he finally draw his dagger and said in a clearly peevish tone: "Listen, kid! I don't have time for something like that! One thing is for sure; you don't belong here. So, get lost or you'll regret it!"
Threatening took the redhead a step forward, thereby WooHyun instantly took a step backwards too. The light from the flickering lights reflected on the freshly sharpened blade of the dagger, which made the dark-haired gulp loudly. Slowly took WooHyun one step after the other, where he was careful to not turn his back on the stranger. However, since he was walking into the guarded area instead of going back where he came from, stepped the guard angrily closer.

"I said that you should get lost!", shouted the redhead and quickened his pace.
Scared of the other took WooHyun another step backwards and instantly hit his back against the cold and wet wall behind him. With wide and frightened eyes he saw how the redhead hurried towards him with a triumphant grin on his face. Only a few seconds later was the other standing right in front of him and precluded him to run away. WooHyun's eyes widened when he suddenly felt the cold blade of the dagger on his throat. The dark-haired started to violently tremble with fear and burning tears began to form in his eyes.

"Please", he pleaded as a lone tear escaped his eye and hastily rolled down his cheeks.
"You had your chance!", said the stranger and pressed the blade a little harder on WooHyun's throat. WooHyun's heart was beating wildly. How could he get out of this situation? There had to be a way! He can't give up. Not after finally having a goal in life. A promise. He could not and must not fail. Not now that he was so close to complete his first step. He owes this to his family.
"I need to talk to Molch", WooHyun desperately cried, whereby the boy in front of him loosened the blade in surprise. Relieved took WooHyun a deep breath, but the redhead didn't let the other go so easily. Only a brief moment later felt the dark-haired boy how the blade was pressed tightly on his throat again.

"Our leader is a very busy man. Why should he receive someone like you?"
"I want to help", said WooHyun in panic and fear for his own life. His explanation, however, only made a weary and malicious grin appear on the boy's face. Nevertheless, he loosened his grip around his dagger again and surprisingly put the sharp object back into the holder on his belt.
"The rebellion is not a place for small children like you. Go home and never come back!", the redhead ordered but WooHyun remained where he was. He didn't know where he suddenly got this courage from, because instead of obeying the command of the elder, he refused to do as he was told and shook his head. Determined, he held his head high and for the first time he looked the guard directly in his eyes. Beautiful dark brown eyes.

"I'm here to join the rebellion! King Margotron must be stopped. I owe it to my village and my family to avenge their blood", said WooHyun, for which he was violently grabbed by his collar and pressed against the wall. With menacing eyes looked the elder at the dark-haired boy. WooHyun was a bit straddled by the sudden attack but was determined to not show it to the other. Without hesitation he was looking at the other to show him that he won't go away that easily. That he isn't afraid, even though his heart was beating rapidly in fear but that is something the other doesn't have to know.
"Brave lad", the elder softly said and smiled. Still he didn't seem to even think of letting go off the younger's collar.

"SungGyu!", an angry voice suddenly shouted.
A little later a girl appeared beside them. She had a elfish looking face with azure blue hair. As WooHyun turned his head to the side to take a look at the newcomer, he thought he had seen pointed ears. Before he could get a closer look, were her ears covered by her long hair. Was this girl perhaps a half-elf, or even an elf? But that couldn't be! Haven't all elves been banished from the Kingdom?

"Nimpfia!", said the red-haired boy in a scared tone of voice and immediately let go of WooHyun's collar.
The girl smiled softly when she saw how SungGyu did what she wanted without having to ask for it. Immediately she positioned herself in front of WooHyun and looked at his face. Carefully she touched the spot on his skin where SungGyu's blade had been pressed against only a few moments ago. Satisfied with what she saw, she happily nodded before she began to speak: "My father welcomes everyone who's willing to fight for what we are standing for. Please forgive the crude behaviour of our youngest guardian".

The girl gave the red-haired boy a reproachful look. The later was constantly looking at the floor in embarrassment while biting on his lips.
"SungGyu! I want you to show everything to our newest member as soon as the next shift gets here. You are responsible for him and his training from now on", commanded the daughter of the leader of the rebels before she turned and then went back to where she had come from.

Angrily tore SungGyu his hair. A little later he turned to face WooHyun and looked at him with a penetrating look. Even through the younger tried to return a similar intense look, he soon had to give up and lowered his eyes so that he could see his ceded shoes.
"Aish!", SungGyu muttered quietly to himself and kicked a small stone, which impacts on the wet cobblestones echoed loudly through the catacombs of Anamela. The hideout of the rebels.


"WooHyun-ah!"
The voice of his manager sounded strange and a bit surreal. Did he even hear his voice or was it just some random thing from his dreams? WooHyun didn't know and he didn't care. It felt so nice to finally be able to rest.
Only when he heard how his name had been called for the third time in a row, he slowly opened his eyes and blinked rapidly. Although the tinted windows prevented the sun from blinded him they still somehow managed to find their way into the car. Slowly he turned his head to look at his manager with questioning eyes. Worried and with a deep frown on his face looked the man, who was in his late twenties, at his protégé and asked him if everything was okay. The student nodded while rubbing his sleepy eyes and let out a huge yawn. The manager, who had observed the author with a critical eye, smiled satisfied.
"Very good. We just arrived in Gangnam", the elder said with an unusually soft voice and got out of the car. Immediately opened WooHyun his seatbelt and opened the door to follow him.

Warm air instantly meet the young author and the monotonous noise of the traffic came to his ears. The surroundings seemed familiar and yet foreign. Much had changed. The buildings, which had been build and rebuild up to a incredible high only a few years ago, were plastered with electronic advertisement. On one of these billboards near him he recognized an advertising for today's autograph session. Nervously bit the student his lower lip as he thought of the impending mass of people that he would have to face in less than an hour. The mere thought of that gave him the collywobbles.
With shaky legs, he stepped into the street and looked at the tall building in front of him. Above the gigantic entrance emblazoned the words 'Kyobo'. He had loved this book store when he was younger. Back then he had spent almost every free second in there because this was the only place where he had been able to read the latest masterpieces of his idols. This was also one of the reasons why they had decided to hold his first autograph session in this store.
Right next to the electronic doors stood two banners which reminded every new costumer of the autograph session later that day. When WooHyun saw those colourful banners he immediately wanted to go back in the car and drive back home.
As if the manager could read the thoughts of his protégé, he came up to him, softly took his hand and pulled him towards the entrance. Curious looked WooHyun at the banners once they reached the entrance. It was strange. Although he was incredibly nervous, a certain touch of pride in what he had created overcome him at that moment.

As soon as they had entered the interior of the book store, they have been greeted by the manager of the store. A very happy smile lit up his face as he introduced himself and his two assistants before looking at the young author. The dark-haired young man bowed briefly to be polite but he was to nervous to speak. Luckily no one seemed to notice as his manager had started to ask some questions about the event, shortly after they exchanged names. Gladly answered the store's manager his question and started to guide them through the store. Before long, a provisionally capped table in the department of fictional books came into view. On the table were countless copies of his latest book stacked on. Next to the table stood even more banner to guide the customers attention to the upcoming event.

"Incredible, isn't it? You've come a long way. And it looks like you already got some hardcore fans", the manager suddenly said in a hushed voice as he stepped closer to WooHyun. Confused about the elders last comment he looked at him with a questioning look. The manager smiled, amused and pointed at about twenty people who were standing around the table.
All of the people in the area had one of the books of the Astrinale-series in their hands. Some were clutching the books tightly as if they were afraid that it might be taken away from them. Most of the waiting people were chatting happily and discussing certain passages from his book. Others had sat on the ground near the table to read. No matter what they decided to do to pass the remaining time till the event, they all excitedly looked around from time to time, as if they hoped that the main character of the event would appear sooner than announced.
A gentle blush lay on WooHyun's cheeks and his heart began to beat wildly. Were all these people really here because of him? Because of his book? His story? He could hardly believe it.

The small group of important looking people didn't stay long unnoticed by the readers. Only a few seconds later a high school girl turned to look at them. With prying eyes she looked at WooHyun. Before long, she began to realize who she might be looking at. Hastily she nudged her friend who was sitting next to her and whispered a few words into her ear. The second girl instantly turned towards WooHyun and began to stare at him with a wildly open mouth.
Embarrassed about the sudden attention wanted WooHyun to turn around, when he caught a glimpse of a figure with red hair in the distance. Only for a short while had the red-haired been visible and yet WooHyun was sure he had seen... him. A young man that looked just like the man who had so often appeared in his dreams. The man, who's st

Please log in to read the full chapter