- PROBLEM FOUR -

Observation

 

 

Kunpimook Bhuwakul, simply known as Bambam, was the member that knew Mark the longest and had therefore spent the most time with him. Bambam and Mark were best friends way before Yugyeom or Jackson joined the company, so there was little that Jackson knew about that time by hearsay, mostly puzzle pieces of knowledge gathered by the stories Mark or Bambam liked to tell when they were reminiscing. One topic was their height, Bambam was much shorter than Mark back then, the three years age-difference being more prominent than when their heights reached the same level. Even when Jackson joined them, Bambam was already pretty short, but according to Mark, Bambam’s head just about reached his navel once upon a time, when he was still a “cute little kid.” Bambam liked to tell that he honestly didn’t know they would debut together because of the height- and age-gap. Another topic was Bambam being the only one around when Mark still went to school. Every day, Mark would wake up at 6 o’clock and wait for the bus at 6:30 to drive him to his school where he had few friends and could barely communicate or properly understand what the teachers were saying. Apparently, it was very hard for Mark, he confessed it to Bambam and decided to quit school in order to improve his Korean first. So he met Bambam daily at 10 in the morning and studied Korean diligently while Bambam studied Chinese next to him. This was a thing they always mentioned, how thankful they were for each other during that time, for being able to communicate in English at least and for not making them the only foreign trainee in the company, with one being from L.A. and the other from Thailand. While everyone else went to school and there was only Bambam and Mark at the company with nothing to do after their studying sessions, all they supposedly did was sleep and during winter, they would sleep with their padded jackets as soon as they arrived at the company’s second floor, turning all the lights off and the heater on. Bambam said he was happy with no stress and no worries then, spending each day meaninglessly but liking exactly that. Jackson sometimes pondered whether Bambam missed those days of when he had Mark all to himself and Mark had only Bambam to care for. After all, Mark was a closer big brother to Bambam than Bambam’s real older brothers who were in far Thailand. Jackson would feel especially left out when the two shared insider memories like, “do you remember how short my hair was when I came to Korea?” and “yes, I remember, it would stand on end and we both were so dark before we got paler here in Korea,” or “yes, and our Korean got better.” Those were the times Jackson asked them to build him into their stories and imagine him being part of all that. The truth of his jealousy behind that wishful thinking was concealed to him. It was also concealed during the beginning stages of their career when Bambam mentioned in interviews he would really like to date Mark if he had to date a member or would like to be born again as him, because Mark was “you know, very good-looking, handsome, y, has a nice personality, is romantic and perfect.” Bambam was always one to put emphasis on Mark’s beauty, to the point that one way descriptions weren’t enough, he needed several synonyms for the same attribute. Jackson totally agreed with that since Mark’s visuals were acknowledged by all of Got7. He even understood why Bambam got nervous every time he would stand next to Mark during the mouth-to-mouth-paper-game, particularly when the paper was heart-shaped and Mark asked him, “you don’t want my heart?” Even a Bambam would give it a serious try after that and write cute apology letters with half-serious, half-in-jest confessions like, “I love you, my Mark, heart, heart, heart.” Truthfully, Jackson’s heart broke a little bit, too, when Mark replied, “I don’t need a heart.” But this was Bambam and Mark’s thing, they could quarrel like real brothers because they were close enough, their relationship was stable enough without anyone holding a grudge for too long, and this was what Jackson truly envied. Their quarrelling could be about anything, ranging from Bambam’s failed cooked Thai dishes for Mark, “Bambam, those weren’t noodles, it was like rice porridge,” to Mark’s failed attempt at buying Bambam gifts from abroad, “the pants were found below the laundry box,” “I thought they weren’t mine,” “that’s why there are no more gifts for Bambam now.” Mark and Bambam even had a running gag, every time Bambam would get too noisy or make a mistake during a broadcast, Mark would say, “Bambam, get out!” Bambam would laugh and complain for a moment, but if he ever got sad, Mark would pet Bambam’s hair like a real older brother, another thing Mark did often to Bambam. Mark’s caring side towards Bambam was also visible during their Manitou mission with Mark being chosen as Bambam’s guardian angel, feeding Bambam and letting him drink from bottles even though he could be doing it by himself, helping Bambam take selfies, giving him a piggyback while doing push-ups and last but not least, telling him how cute he was every time Bambam asked him. Bambam was aware of the attention, too. Besides Yugyeom, Mark also treated Bambam to meals very often and Bambam would take full advantage of Mark’s generosity by repeatedly claiming he forgot his wallet. However, every year on Mark’s birthday, he would thank Mark for always taking care of him. Knowing each other for such a long time, Bambam was probably the one who understood Mark the best. Bambam knew Mark liked silly jokes, punishments and pranks and would laugh at these things the loudest. Jackson knew this because Bambam often shared this information on broadcasts and he had yet to be proven wrong. On the contrary, Bambam was a victim to such a prank once, Mark disguised himself as a ghost for their horror special episode during Real Got7 season 3 and Mark did laugh the loudest after scaring Bambam to the point that he fled the scene. Bambam also knew that Mark had to be around a very talkative person or someone quieter than him in order for Mark to talk, no in between, an information he revealed on a show that Jackson was the main guest of, out of all things. From this point forward, Jackson’s jealousy was no longer concealed to himself. They had one task of commenting on Jackson’s videos of his “bromance” date but Bambam talked about Mark’s hypothetical date instead. Jackson was so frustrated that he re-watched their Got2Day DVD with Bambam and Mark’s interview just in case he could pick up anything he missed during the first run. Jackson hated how Bambam was right about everything and how Jackson only realised these details once Bambam revealed them. The difference between Bambam and the other members was, that rather than becoming quiet around Mark in order to make him talk, like Yugyeom, Youngjae, Jinyoung or Jackson did it himself, which either led to soft, serious or awkward atmospheres, Bambam grasped the situation very quickly and went for the other solution, he became determined to make it funny for both Mark and the viewers, may it be through an easy thing such as arm-wrestling, eventually, Mark’s laughter would be considered as Bambam’s victory. Despite all that, Jackson loved Bambam dearly and cared for Bambam just as much as Mark did or maybe even more, so once the thought occurred to him that Bambam’s knowledge about Mark might be stemming from a long-term, secret crush, Jackson’s jealousy almost vanished completely and he was filled with sadness on behalf of Bambam instead, deciding to suppress his own feelings. No one needed more complications, although Jackson’s vigilant eyes couldn’t be replaced with the former veiled ones.