[N] Let's Not Fall In Love

Daffodils In The Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hakyeon doesn't want to fall in love with Jinyoung and that's probably for the best.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Hakyeon you have a new schedule" his manager, Shinwoo told him. "New schedule?" Hakyeon asked. "You have a photoshoot with Gugudan on Thursday. It will be in the morning and your music video shooting has been shifted to the afternoon" he told him. "I thought I was shooting a night scene again this week" Hakyeon frowned. "This week it's Jaehwan" Shinwoo said. Hakyeon nodded, going back to memorize lyrics for a variety show appearance.

"Oh hey! Do you guys know Park Jinyoung?" Wonshik asked, taking his earphones off. "That new romance movie actress?" Sanghyuk asked, looking at him. "Yeah! She recently said that hyung was her favourite idol on Happy Together. So now they are trending on Naver" he told everyone. "Do you have a clip?" Shinwoo asked them. Wonshik nodded, habding his phone over to the two.

"Actually, I recently started listening to VIXX and I really liked N. He is a really talented singer and actor so I had a little crush on him for a while" Jinyoung told Park Myungsoo. "Do you know him personally?" Yoo Jaesuk asked her. "Unfortunately no" she laughed. "I've just watched him perform on stage."

"Hyung! You have a new admirer" Sanghyuk teased. "She's just saying that" Hakyeon protested. "Wasn't she a trainee for Jellyfish?" Taekwoon asked. "She was?" Shinwoo asked him. "I thought she was. I remember one of the new actresses being an ex trainee from the time we were also trainees. Maybe a year or so before Mydol" Taekwoon frowned. 

"What are we looking at?" Jaehwan asked. "Where were you?" Hongbin asked. "I went to meet Daewon for lunch. What are you guys huddled over?" he asked, leaning over Wonshik’s shoulder. "Do you know an actress Park Jinyoung?" Wonshik asked him. "Yeah I do. Daewon was talking about her too. She used to be a talent for Jellyfish when she was a child actor but she left and joined Kairos, Daewon's company" he told them. Taekwoon didna soft 'oh'.

"She's not a new actress?" Hakyeon asked. "She was a child actor. But she did a few CFs and maybe one or two dramas before taking a break and studying abroad. That's what Daewon told me. She's supposed to be really pretty I think" Jaehwan said. "She said Hakyeon hyung was her favourite idol on Happy Together yesterday" Wonshik told him. Jaehwan whistled. "You're lucky hyung! She's really good looking" he agreed. "I know right? I was a little jealous" Wonshik grinned. 

"Don't you all have dance practice?" Hakyeon interrupted. The group groaned knowing that he would make them practice extra now. The regret was only momentary as they went back to teasing him. Hakyeon rolled his eyes and looked towards Shinwoo to get some of the madness back in order. This kind of thing was common. For Hongbin, this happened a lot. The thing would eventually blow over.

 

 

"We've decided to go with the love line" Shinwoo told Hakyeon as the latter was stretching. The two men were settled in one corner of the room while the others practiced choreography for their comeback. "What love line?" Hakyeon asked, confused. With all the extra performances to be practised for, he really couldn't afford to give away Hongbin or Jaehwan. The company had decided to keep Taekwoon's mysterious image and Sanghyuk was just supposed to be the cute maknae too young for relationships. But they were quite liberal with appearances by Hongbin and Jaehwan. And he really couldn't part with them now.

"You and Park Jinyoung. There won't be any official dating but certain variety show appearances together. Just so fans can see you two interact. So tomorrow in VIXX TV Hongbin will ask you if you watched any movies recently and you've to say that you watched her movie and like it. But don't mention her name specifically" Shinwoo instructed. 

"But does she even like me that much?" he wondered out loud. "Who knows. But the fans like it. And some times we do things to keep them happy" Shinwoo said. Hakyeon nodded, understanding this requirement very well. Jellyfish wasn't one of the big three entertainment companies. VIXX had to work very hard to get many of the things that other idol groups got easily. Things like marketing, a large fanbase inherited from sunbaes, some top choreographers and songwriters. He knew that they had to do things keeping an external image in mind. And if his company did decide to go with a remoured loveline he still couldn't afford scandals.

"I haven't actually watched the movie" he said finally. He could overthink this later. "I asked my sister to bring me a CD. You can watch it later tonight" Shinwoo said, dismissing him. "I'll go back to practice then" Hakyeon said with a short bow. He joined the others, promising he'd tell them whatever had happened after practice. 

 

 

 

"I didn't think they'd actually take it up" Hongbin said, resting on a beanbag. The beanbag was a recent addition to the dorm. They had gotten two on the success of Zelos and would get four more if conception did well. For now the members took turns using it and now it was Hongbin's turn. "I didn't either" Hakyeon admitted. "Atleast this way we get good food and a movie break" Jaehwan said lightly. Taekwoon who was already halfway through his meal nodded without even looking up. Shinwoo's sister had been kind enough to get them some food as well.

"Where is Shinwoo hyung?" Jaehwan asked. "He went to dinner with Gugudan's new manager. Something about introducing him to the company and all the systems in place" Sanghyuk said, taking his chopsticks and noodles. "Then we have the dorm to ourselves" Jaehwan cheered. "But no dirtying it. I cleaned it just this morning!" Hongbin protested. "It's starting you guys" Winshik said, having set up the CD player and pressing play. 

"She's really pretty" Hongbin said, when her introduction scene came on. It was a typical high school romance story where a bad boy was secretly in love with the good girl who believed in him. Jinyoung had a pure innocent type image which went along well with the role. "She acts well" Hakyeon agreed as he watched the movie. There were some really cringy scenes as the bad boy tried to flirt with her but almost everyone felt sad for her when she cried about being unloved by everyone else. And everyone was simultaneously relieved at the final resolution. (Taekwoon had smiled the widest but no one would tell this to the public).

"It's actually a really sweet movie. Even if I cringed halfway through it" Hongbin said. "Yeah. I don't think fans would appreciate you being so cheesy with her though" Jaehwan laughed. "Go to sleep" Hakyeon deadpanned, hitting him with a pillow. "We have our Hades photoshoot and I don't want any of you having dark circles beneath your eyes."

"But we want to party! Taekwoon appa tell Umma!" Jaehwan protested childishly. "Don't ever call me that in real life" Taekwoon said with a sigh. Jaehwan pouted before pulling an unsuspecting and half drowsy Wonshik away. "We will party in our room. Anyone who is fun can join us" he sniffed. "I just want to sleep" Wonshik cried as he was dragged away. 

Hakyeon rolled his eyes and went to his room. He knew those two would give up and fall asleep eventually. And he wasn't going to insist on them doing anything as long as they left him alone. He put his earphones in and connected them to the phone which was charging on his bedside table. He put on his slow songs playlist and closed his eyes, trying to relax. Thankfully they had been to the skin clinic earlier and he didn't have to go through his skin care routine today.

The concept of a loveline felt awkward. Sure he had aced before and had definitely been interested in being a romantic lead some day. But that was acting. And having a public image was very different. They weren't who they were always shown to be. Hakyeon knew this. But lovelines and rumours were exaggerations. 

And he wasn't even the most popular one with ladies. It was definitely Hongbin who's good looks made fangirls swoon. Or probably Taekwoon with his mysteriois chic image. Jaehwan won hearts wherever he went. Hakyeon knew for a fact that Wonshik’s awkwardness and stage iness were a combination girls died for and Sanghyuk was the maknae in charge for appealing to noona fans. 

He was just plain Hakyeon. The leader who was in charge of the group. Sometimes the spokesperson but that usually went to Hongbin because he was the visual. He was just Hakyeon. 

Maybe Jinyoung didn't really mean it. Maybe his name was in her head only because they had recently released a song and she didn't actually want to reveal who she liked. Or maybe she had seen his drama online or saw him MC a show and thought that she could safely take his name because it would be controversy free. Or even if she did, maybe she didn't like him so much. Maybe somewhere out there she was feeling just as awkward as he was at the staged act they were going to put on for the world to see.

 

 

 

"They like it. The company is seriously considering a variety show appearance with the two of you. Kairos is in talks with Jellyfish for the same" Shinwoo told the group. "Are they serious?" Hongbin asked. "Yeah. It took a while but some online fans helped us spread the idea around to see if it was popular. They posted across multiple sites and got a good response" he told Hakyeon. 

"Uri Njumma is getting a love line" Sanghyuk said wiping a fake tear from his eye. Taekwoon shook his head in unison with Hakyeon while the rest of the group laughed. "Are we going to appear on a variety show together?" Hakyeon asked. "Probably after your debut stage because Jellyfish doesn't want to take attention away from that" Shinwoo speculated. "And nothing is decided yet."

"Let's get back to practice then. And this time we have to sing along as well. Love Me Do is easier than Fantasy and we can't afford any mistakes with the footwork" Hakyeon said, taking the discussion away. "You just want to look good to impress Park Jinyoung" Sanghyuk teased before getting hit by Hakyeon. "We'll think about that when we think about it" Hakyeon brushed it away. 

 

 

 

"Do you think we'll win first place?" Taekwoon asked from the neighbouring changing stall. "I don't know honestly. They didn't tell us anything. The MCs just wished me luck" Hakyeon said. Fantasy had been really popular with the fans. Hakyeon had been worried when Dynamite had done well and had lived up to the hype around Conception. But they had picked up pace by winning on The Show and were possibly going to win on Show Champion as well. A second win would be a huge reward.

"In any case, we have to take it sportingly" Hakyeon said, getting out of the stall. Taekwoon got out and followed him to back stage where everyone else was waiting for them. They could spot other idol groups in and around them, low key practising dance moves or vocalising and matching pitches at a low volume. Stage nerves didn't go away with experience. But one did get better at handling them.

"Time for the show" he told the group. They huddled together and did a short cheer before getting on stage. Hakyeon smiled at the fans who were cheering them on. It was always a rush to hear fanchants and know that people came to listen to you. VIXX got into formation and the music for Love Me Do started to play. Hakyeon s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter