Prologue

Saudade

 

《《

 

It never failed to amaze Jongdae how the view from atop the cliffside overlooking his hometown never changed. Every year, every autumn, he would drive to this park to sit on this bench and stare at the buildings and people below, and every year the sight was the same. As if the town itself was frozen in time.

 

Has it really been ten years?

 

He looked down at the hefty, aged journal that sat heavily in his lap. The once lively colored mint green book had faded into a dull morph of off-white and pastel green. The hardcover was scuffed up and bruised in various places. Popping the book open, Jongdae flipped through the now yellowing pages that documented his youth. A grin creeped up on the man’s lips as he skimmed the entries.

 

‘March 2, 2016

  • I actually managed to convince Junmyeon to ride with me on my bike. Who knew a little teasing would actually get the job done. And, we actually didn’t get caught! Bonus!’

  • The opening ceremony was boring as hell, but it’s not like that was anything new. Seriously, Principal Kang’s speech gets longer every year.  At least this is the last time I have the “pleasure” of listening to it.

  • A new student transferred into our class today. HIs name is Zhang Yixing and he came all the way from China! Tao was so excited when they met, it was so adorable. Yixing seems like a really nice person. He’s really cute, too. He’s a bit quiet, though, but compared to everyone else, that’s not really hard to be. We invited him to hang out with us and we all hit it off really well! He laughed and smiled a lot. Whenever he did, it showed off his dimple on his right cheek. So cute.

  • I’m looking forward to this year.

 

Ah, those days he spent with his friends in this sleepy drive-by town. At that time, he felt as if he could fly.

 

‘May 25, 2016

  • All of us went to the Butterfly Festival today. Since it was Yixing’s first time experiencing it, we decided to actually stay the entire day and not just leave after raiding all the food stands.

  • We plowed through all of the game stands and I wasted all of my money, but it was worth it! I got a knock-off Pikachu plush, so I say it was a pretty good Dae. Chanyeol tried to steal it from me, though.

  • We saw Minseok and Lu Han holding up their coffee stand, too. I wish we could have stayed behind to help them spread the word about their stand, but the fireworks display was just about to start by the time we found them. Hopefully they were able to get the word around about their coffee shop and got some new customers.

  • The fireworks display was really beautiful. The sky was lit up with so many butterflies of different shapes, sizes, and colors. I haven’t felt this excited looking up at fireworks since I was a kid!

  • Yixing looked kind of distracted, though. He looked so… far away. We were standing next to each other during the display; the both of us were looking up at the same sky, but it was like we were seeing two completely different things. I remember when the display first started, he was smiling along with the rest of us. But the next second, he got that… that glazed over look in his eyes. Maybe he didn’t think anyone was looking at him. He looked like he was inches from falling apart.

  • I wish I held his hand.

  • If I had… Would he have fallen apart?’

 

If only they had more time together.

 

‘December 12, 2016

  • Why-’

 

Jongdae quickly skipped the remaining pages that were written upon. Now was not the time to delve into that state of mind once again. No, he had something more important to do.

 

He arrived at the last section of empty pages at the back of the book. Jongdae pulled out his ballpoint pen and popped the cap off. He pressed the tip to the page and began to write.

 

‘To the sixteen year old me,

How are you doing? Did you enjoy the opening ceremony this morning? Just kidding! Anyway, I am the twenty-six year old Kim Jongdae of the future.’

 

We will save you, Yixing. With a fervent heart and a steady hand, Jongdae wrote to that long passed youth.

 

《《

 


A/N:

Okay, so, I had originally planned to get this out by Yixing's birthday, but life decided otherwise ヽ(;▽;)ノ Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this prologue. The first chapter will be out this Friday and I will try to update every Friday starting with the next update. I know it doesn't seem like much now, but it will pick up! I hope you will stay until then. ^^

On another note, What U Need is AMAZING! Continue supporting Yixing and his solo debut! Also, keep streaming Monster! LET'S GET THAT FOURTH DAESANG AWARD  O(≧∇≦)O

Thank you for reading! 

Please, leave a comment!

Thank you!