CH 21 - Kyuhyun

KISMET

He was sitting in the same chair he's been occupying for around 2 months now in the same room exclusively for the school club that he entered in at the start of the semester. Everything was how it was usually whenever they have their bi-weekly meetings, except for one glaring fact; Jongwoon was not the one presiding the meeting. It was the first time that Ryeowook, the VP, took over the discussion. Ryeowook was the one who was talking and talking in front of all the members.

Kyuhyun was listening, but not entirely. Although he was able to gather that aside from the annual competition that they'll attend to, they will also be holding a Musicale show together with the Drama Club. He remembered how this was discussed between Jongwoon and that Kibum-guy days before. That Kibum-person who, after that, glares at him whenever they see each other in the hallway in school or somewhere else. 'Such a weirdo', Kyuhyun thought.

His mind and eyes would go to the club President from time to time. Hard not to be. They have been seeing everyday eventhough they aren't in the same year nor department, because of Math and music, to put it plainly. But then one day, he got a text that he can't make it to the usual time that they meet. He just replied a simple "sure", and went on his day, not really thinking much about it at that time.

He was in front sitting, a little bit of sideways so that Kyuhyun who was at the upper back of the seats can see half of the other's face. It was just blank. Kyuhyun was curious. Jongwoon would nod here and there to whatever Ryeowook would say but most of the time he was definitely spacing out. There was even an instance when the whole room laughed because of some joke Youngwoon made, even he laughed, everyone except Jongwoon. This was definitely a new side of the guy he is seeing right now. It makes him wonder what has happened to him. Why was he such in a bad mood? His subjects? Something with his family? Boyfriend, perhaps?

He felt Sungmin's touch in his arm. When Kyuhyun faced his boyfriend, there was a questioning look. Kyuhyun mouthed a "why?' but Sungmin just gave a small smile, a shake of his head, and then gestured for them to listen to Ryeowook. So he did.

The meeting ended without Jongwoon saying a word.

☁ ☁ ☁

Kyuhyun and Sungmin went to the gazebo where they almost always hangs out with Changming and his gang, Yi Xing and Donghae and some of his friends. His cousins were there. Sungmin was now talking to Changmin's girlfriend Victoria who was both in the Dance Club and Drama Club regarding the Musicale. Kyuhyun took the oppurtunity to ask Donghae about Jongwoon. He tried not to sound concerned, of course. He really wasn't concerned, he was probably just curious.

"That still happens to him now? Hmmm... When we were younger, he would have those bad-days I call it, when he would just shutdown from the world. He doesn't talk at all."

"Like, even a word?" Changmin said.

"Even a word. Not even to his brother. I asked Chul-hyung about it, but he wouldn't really explain much. He just told me that Jongwoon-hyung would just have those moody days, that's all. And then it just stops after a day or maximum of 3 days. Then he'll be back to normal and we'll play again"

"Oh gosh, that's terrible! I cannot imagine not talking at all in a like a whole day, 3 days would be crazy!" Victoria interjected. Kyuhyun realized that Sungmin and Victoria was already listening to whatever the cousins are now talking about.

"It was weird at first, but I got used to it later on. I never asked what's wrong. Chullie-hyung said that we should just give him space and not push for him to talk if he didn't want to."

"Of course, he'll just talk when he's ready..." Sungmin said. "That wasn't the first time that happened actually" Sungmin directed to Kyuhyun. "last year, he was like that too, remember that Changmin? He entered VAS room and just sat silently, not even talking to Ryeowookie."

"Hmmm... mood-swings?" Victoria was pondering. Changmin now scooted closer to his girlfriend. "Hmmm what does that remind me..." He pondered, "Oh right! Remember when we had that bonfire bonding way back Hae? Kyuhyun told us about that kid he met in the --"

"Oh yeah in the park!"

"-- no, that was the playground back in the province, the one who never talks, right?"

"Yep yep! The one Kyu was able to push to sing with him hahaha but never talk"

"Yah! He spoke a sentence because of me" Kyuhyun remembers now. That was probably why he was a bit bothered --- no, just curious, as to Jongwoon's silence. Maybe he reminds him of that kid from the playground.

"How were you able to get him to talk again?"

"His brother came and when he acted like punching me, then he told his brother to stop"

"Then the brothers hugged and you were forgotten and you never saw him again right? Hahaha" Donghae said in between laughters, teasing.

"I remember everything now! You were crying when you told us the story, right Hae?" His 2 cousins high-fived. He defended himself but of course, inside, he remembered how he cried recalling that.

"You didn't get his name?" Sungmin looked at him and asked.

"No, he never said even a word". He was a bit uneasy, as he never told Sungmin this story. Well, it just never came up. "He just comes to the playground at the same time as me, then he stopped after that incident with his brother."

"Oh gosh you said that he was your ideal type right?" Changmin teased. 'Damn you Chwang!', he thought, sending his stupid cousin  a glare. But he didn't seem to get it.

Changmin tried to continue teasing Kyuhyun until his girlfriend told him off. "Yah! They was super young at that time how can you say that?" Victoria said as he hit his boyfriend in the head. The 2 went off playfully fighting and ending having aweful displays of affection towards each other.

Sungmin tugged his sleeve lightly to get his attention. "I thought I was your ideal type, huh?" Sungmin said with a playful voice, smiling towards him. Kyuhyun just laughed at that, together with the others who heard the exchanges of conversation.

☁ ☁ ☁

They were supposed to go home with Sungmin coming by his place when he saw Jongwoon in his peripheral vision. He didn't know what came to him as he quickly told his boyfriend to just go home first and he'll quickly come right after. He made some random excuse.

"I could wait for you here if you like"

"No, no... it's uhmmm... it's fine. I just don't know how long that would take ---"

"But you just said you'll be quick"

"I'll try to be quick babe" He gave a peck and went his way. He looked back seeing Sungmin still standing where he stood since, so he continued with "You have keys to my place right?" That's when Sungmin started to walk his way too. "Yep I have, uhmm, I'll wait for you ok?"

"Yeah, I'll see you", he waved. And turned.

He walked and walked towards the path that he thought Jongwoon must have taken. He was near the other gate of their school, until he saw him sitting in a bench near the pond. 'Huh, that same pond where I first met him' he thought.

He approached but then saw that the other was on his phone.

"... no I am not mad because of that. I'm sad because you broke your promise."

Silence. He heard and saw him sigh.

"... I don't think I can do this anymore."

More silence.

"No... just. Just give me time to think."

And then he put the phone down.

Kyuhyun wondered if he'll approach him. He wanted to. He doesn't know why but he wanted to comfort the guy. He never was the type of friend who comes to someone's side whenever that person has a problem. Hell, he doesn't want to face his own problems, how can he listen to the problem of other people?

But this time, it's different. He doesn't exactly know why, but, it just is.

He cleared his throat. The other, hearing him or not, didn't face him however.

He started to walk to the bench.

"May I?"

That was when Jongwoon looked up at him, and then gave him a shrug. 'That means OK right?' he thought. He sat beside Jongwoon anyway.

"Uhmm... I heard you a while back --" He was cut off when Jongwoon quickly gave him a look of panic. Panic? Yes, worry and panic. "No uhmm... not entirely... I mean just the end of it. It was just by accident I swear I was just passing b-by and I saw you --"

"What did you hear exactly?" The worry in his face still visible.

"Uhh seriously nothing much. It was just... hmm... I just felt from your voice that you were really sad. That's it. Don't worry"

Jongwoon slowly lowered his face, nodding to show that he believes the other.

"So uhmmm... Are you ok? Are you not ok?"

"Not ok..." Jongwoon replied solemnly, staring at the pond in front of them.

"Love quarrel?"

"I thought you didn't hear much?" Jongwoon said looking at him again, but now narrowing his eyes.

"That was a random question" He chuckled. "But guess I was right. Problem with the boyfriend, yeah?"

"Hmmm... you could say that"

Silence. A comfortable silence, so Kyuhyun didn't mind.

It was Jongwoon who talked again first. "Long distance relationship is super hard" Kyuhyun didn't know how to reply to that. He just waited for the other to continue, if ever he wants to. And he did. "When he doesn't contact you for a whole day, it affects you. What more if happens for a number of days? It's tiring. Long distance relationships are tiring"

"I can just imagine"

Jongwoon smiled a bitter smile as he looked at the other. "I'm jealous of you and Sungmin. You are together everyday... Plus you are an out couple. You can hold hands, kiss, be affectionate in public" Then he went back to gaze at the pond.

So far, Kyuhyun was able to know that Jongwoon's boyfriend is away. And that the relationship is indeed a secret. And that Jongwoon is jealous of their relationship.

"Was he able to explain why there are days that he cannot contact you?"

"Sure... he gives excuses... and lots of them"

"Well, if you... want to still be with him, then you can try and accept his reasons right? If you can't, then just break it up."

"How can you say that bluntly? Are we close?" Jongwoon said, but his deadpan expression quickly making way for an eventual laughter. Jongwoon laughed with him. He felt good that he was able to make him laugh like that. Not that melodic and unabashed laughter which he liked but at least there's something. It felt like he made Jongwoon less lonely.

More comfortable silence came after their light laughs died down.

"Don't do this to Sungmin ok?"

"Hmmm?"

"Don't make him wonder where you are. Don't make him wait. It really is a bother... like what I am feeling every time."

Kyuhyun thought hard with Jongwoon's words. He felt guilty as he realized that as of that exact moment, his boyfriend was already at his apartment, wondering where he is, and waiting for him.

"Right... uhh... I'll try my best"

Jongwoon nodded. Satisfied with what he heard.

They were about to separate because they'll be using different gates, when Jongwoon expressed his gratitude. "Thanks much for being a friend to me today, Kyuhyun." And he gave a smile and a wave. Turned his back and walked away.

Kyuhyun stood there for maybe some seconds before he willed his feet to walk backwards, away from Jongwoon's departing figure. He was kind of taken aback, not with the thanks, but with the use of his name. Hearing Jongwoon's voice call him Kyuhyun (and not Cho, for the very first time) was definitely a pleasant surprise. He never thought that it was actually something he wanted, but realized now that yes, he indeed wanted to hear Jongwoon call him 'Kyuhyun'.

 

 

 

(End of CH)

__________________________________________________________________________________

Annyeong ~

That bonfire bonding with the ChangKyuHae cousins and that friend from the park are not random, hopefully you can remember. But just to refresh your memory, read CHAPTER 9 again, kekeke.

Anyway. This chapter right here is dedicated to @ashroto =) As what I replied from one of the comments you wrote in here, you dear made my day. I apologize however because this isn't what I promised. Huhu. I'll work harder next time! (Sorry because my time got stuck with watching the ENG SUB versh of that EXO guesting in Leeteuk's new show. Haha! It was so funny, I rewatched it over and over)

OMG, super SUJU-related and Teukkie-related, his SUKIRA DJ stint will end this 29th. And nobody has an idea if it's the end of SUKIRA/Kiss The Radio or what. The news really made me sad. I feel like it definitely is an end of an era. It's a long shot but I hope it can continue with our Yesungie to take the DJ post. Heechul and Leeteuk are super busy with their TV shows. The maknaes will enlist. We have to wait for around 100days more for Eunhyuk... and some 60 days (Am I right?) for Sungmin, our previous DJs. T_T Ughhh... This feeling. It's so sad.

Anywayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, back to KISMET. What do you think? Is Kyukyu beginning to be a stalker? Should I stop that before it gets creepier how he thinks of Jongwoon so much? Hahahaha

Don't be a silent reader chingu <3

- TMFG