The First Time

Salty Vanilla
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Bright rays of the scorching midday sun run past the thin curtains, announcing that it is way past the time to be sleeping. Ai wakes up in a bundle of sweat, groaning as she struggles to pry her almost glued eyelids open. After a few moments of muffled grumblings, the girl forces her numb body to sit up. As she accomplishes that, an agonizing headache presses at her temples.

 

She groans quite loudly. Loudly enough for Luhan, who was in the kitchen preparing the lunch, to hear. The man opens the door in panic, only to find the girl rolling around in her bed whilst holding her head. He huffs in relief and approaches the wailing figure. “Does it really hurt that badly?”

 

Irritated both by the obvious question and the headache, Ai seethes. “No, I just like crying in pain for fun!”

 

Finding the girl’s sarcasm even in the most serious situations ordinary, Luhan takes the painkiller off the nightstand along with a glass of water, offering it to the girl, so she can pacify her suffering.

 

The odd thing Luhan had noticed when they were having lunch was Ai’s constant complaining about catching a cold during the fairly hot time of the year. At first the man suspected that Ai was unaware of the consequences that came with excessive drinking, but he quickly dismissed the thought as the girl furtherly rambled on her complaints.

 

As it turned out, according to her genuinely distressed behaviour, Ai did not possess the recollections of the happenings of the night before. She did not even remember going to the party, since she quite vexedly described the story to Luhan as a part of her dream. Luhan pondered strainingly as to whether to tell the girl the reality of the current situation. He ultimately decided on postponing that action for another, more suitable time, simply because of the rage the girl had felt just by talking about her “horrifying nightmare”.

 

 

Monday morning dawned crisp and bright and Ai’s “cold” miraculously healed itself over the night. The girl who hated getting up early to go to school was very excited that particular morning, since it was the day her friend Minseok was finally back in school. She texted the boy the whole ride to school, only to happily skip into her classroom, earning weird looks from all of her classmates and her two friends.

 

Kyungsoo had in fact been practicing apologizing to her the whole Sunday, so he was sitting on pins and needles from the moment he first saw the girl. Luckily for him, he hadn’t had enough chances to chat with her during the first three periods. But when the lunch break arrived, Kyungsoo was, once again, under tension.

 

“Hey if you don’t like the meat I can eat it for you!” Ai exhibited her shameless habit of snatching her favourite food off her friends’ trays. This time the victim was Minseok.

 

“U-um if you want to.” Minseok stuttered, confused. He couldn’t recall telling Ai, or anyone for that matter, that he didn’t like eating meat.

 

“Oh my god, I can’t believe this!” Tao hollered, throwing his hands in the air. “Ai, will you stop doing that to this poor child! Minseok, don’t just allow her to take it! She always does it, and if you’re lenient with her she might just get used to getting spoiled like that.” The tall boy scolded the shorter one.

 

“HEY, this is none of your business! It’s between the two of us, so get your nose out of our s!” Ai slammed her fist against the table as she shouted back at Tao.

 

“Hah! Like I would ever get near your stinky little !”

 

Kyungsoo worriedly stared at his own tray as the meaningless fight dragged on. He came to the conclusion that if he allowed this wasting of perfectly good opportunities to slide, he was doomed to never actually apologizing to the girl. He cleared his throat quite loudly, and got the attention of the remaining three who shared the same table.

 

“Ai”, he started hesitantly, “can we talk?”

 

Ai raised her eyebrow at the unusual behaviour of her friend, but she uttered a “sure” nevertheless. Minseok glanced at Tao, feeling the tense atmosphere, asking him with his eyes if they should give the two some space for a private talk. For Tao, there was not such word as “privacy” in his dictionary. He was more than eager to sit through the conversation and listen to all the juicy details.

 

“I... I’m sorry.” Kyungsoo bowed his head in shame as he apologized.

 

Now, Ai was even more confused. “For what?”

 

Ah, she’s going to make me say it, huh? To make sure I’m aware of my wrongdoings. Kyungsoo cringed at the thought. “For... For going there without you, merely because of my of own greediness. For getting drunk. For not listening to you. For making you do such thing to defend me in front of all those people. In front of Kris.”

 

A few moments passed in awkward silence, while the gears turned in the girl’s head, trying to connect all the dots. “Such thing? What did I do?” was the first thing Ai asked, despite her own confusion.

 

Kyungsoo flashed her a look of incredulity. “Challenging Kris to a drinking battle? And making him lose? The party? Don’t you remember?”

 

Ai’s face blanched, her lips opening and closing in shock. “The party”, she mumbled quietly. “So that’s why I.... It wasn’t a dream after all...” Minseok placed his hand over her own to get her attention.

 

“Ai? What’s wrong?” He asked worriedly. Tao and Kyungsoo on the other hand just curiously observed the girl as if they were expecting some kind of an intense outburst from her. And, since they knew her all too well, they were right about it.

 

Flashbacks from the dreadful night filled Ai’s mind in the meantime, only to finish it off with the image of Chanyeol’s closed eyes and the body warmth he shared with the girl through his lips. The crimson blush crept up to Ai’s ears and neck, while her body shuddered from embarrassment and rage. Standing up abruptly from her seat, the girl squeaked in a broken voice.

 

“That— That ing ert!”

 

Alarmed, Kyungsoo reflexively stood up. “Ai, what—”

 

“WHERE IS HE?” The rampaging girl searched around herself with wild eyes and clenched fists. Her target was sitting with his usual group of friends at their usual table in the cafeteria. Without having second thoughts, she marched on towards the target, carrying a murderous aura around her figure.

 

Chanyeol was lost in his thoughts and was paying no notice to his friends’ conversation or his disregarded lunch. His train of thoughts was cut off when Baekhyun shook his shoulder in attempt to warn him of a menacing existence just a foot away from him, glaring at the back of his skull as if she’s about to cut it open. The confused boy turned around, only to widen his eyes at the sight.

 

Ai clenched her teeth as she seethed. “YOU.”

 

Suddenly getting aware of the attention they have gathered from the whole student body in the cafeteria, Chanyeol jumped from his seat and grabbed the girl’s wrist in an urgent manner. Since she was not delighted to be touched at that particular moment, Ai opened to curse at the giant. He was, however, quick enough to interrupt her. “Not here.” he retorted swiftly, before dragging the girl out of the eyes of the public.

 

When they were far enough in the hallway, Chanyeol let go of her reddening wrist and turned around, expectant of the imminent danger. The girl threw daggers at his face, contemplating whether to talk or punch him in the guts first.

 

“How dare you?” She started. Chanyeol wasn’t sure if she was referring to his previous manhandling or someth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter