Locked up

Salty Vanilla
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"Oh. My. God. Stop walking.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“Look!”

 

Everyone who happened to be passing down the hallway stopped to look and point their fingers at the same sight. There was a couple shamelessly snuggling each other up by the windows. A couple that was way too famous by now. Students kept on whispering about their disbelief and shock, commenting on how the two looked like they were in their own bubble, not being able to notice the people watching them.

 

It's just that they were able to notice them. The people were actually the main reason for the snuggling. Well, for one of the snugglers at least.

 

“How much longer do we have to do this?” Ai gritted through her teeth, keeping her voice low, as she almost tore the material of her necktie by tugging at it.

 

“Mmm. I don’t know, they don’t look very convinced.” Chanyeol mumbled, his head resting on top of hers, and his arms securely wrapped around her shorter body. Good thing she couldn’t notice the eating grin on his face, because he would be deceased by then. “So... How was your day?”

 

“Great until you appeared.” Ai responded sharply. In fact her day was going great, no one had yet asked her to verify her fake relationship, nor did she get any nasty comments from Chanyeol’s pathetic fanclub, allowing her to indulge in the peacefulness of her previous everyday life. However, her happiness was short-lived, since Chanyeol decided to appear leaning against the door frame of her classroom at the beginning of recess, calling out for his ‘girlfriend’.

 

She was ready to punch that idiot out of the window, but he restrained her by informing her that there’s a big portion of students who don’t believe in the truthfulness of their relationship status, as they have never seen the two together and acting like a real couple. Yeah, she really didn’t need to hear that right now. What was wrong with this school, she thought they were all dumb as hell, when did they get this suspicious and meticulous?

 

“You’re going to have to speak more kindly if you want them to buy this.” Chanyeol laughed, grazing his cheek against hers. Ai flinched and shut her eyes and mouth tightly, an evident grimace etched on her features. The boy noticed it, so he whispered lowly. “Relax your facial muscles, you look constipated.” But it was impossible for the girl. She was never good at acting or hiding her true feelings. Moreover, she downright at it. But then an idea flashed her mind. “Chanyeol.”

 

The boy hummed, raising his eyebrow at the call. “Can’t I turn around? That way I can hide my face. This is just too embarrassing.” She asked with a whine threaded through her voice. Chanyeol chuckled at the silly request, but immediately swung her around to make her face his chest. What he didn’t expect of the girl was for her to wrap her arms around his torso and press her body and face flush against his own. He froze for a few moments, his heart thumping wildly against his rib cage and breathing accelerating. Well, .

 

Chanyeol let out a laugh of disbelief after witnessing what kind of effect the girl had on him. Just a hug was enough to make him lose breath, what kind of consequences would he suffer if they were to kiss? Maybe it’s still too early to think about that. I need to get her completely out of her comfort zone first. He glanced down at the girl, before smiling warmly and placing his hands on the small of her back. Chanyeol wanted to stop the time at that very moment.

 

 

 

After their little exhibition, Ai strolled into her classroom lifelessly, feeling as if Chanyeol completely drained her of her energy. Settling down at her seat, she buried her face into her arms, resting on the desk. The sound of a chair scraping floor screeched, causing her to groan in distaste. “How was the rendezvous with your boyfriend? Had fun?” Ugh, not you, too.

 

Ai couldn’t bother lifting her head, so she settled for muffling the answer into the sleeves of her blazer. “Good. Much fun. So happy.”

 

Kyungsoo frowned at the gloomy tone and the obviously sarcastic response. “Ai? Is everything alright?” He began to gently her back. “I can’t say I haven’t noticed it lately... But you’ve been looking very dejected since the news of your relationship broke out. What is it? Is someone bothering you? Are you... Are you having a hard time because of it? You know you can tell me everything, I’ll make sure to help you the best way I can.”

 

There was silence from the other side for a few seconds. Then, Ai yielded in and managed to raise her heavy head and stare at Kyungsoo with dubious eyes. “Are you sure you want to know the truth?”

 

“Okay, you’re starting to frighten me now. Hurry up and tell me, what happened?” The jet haired boy squeezed her wrist nervously.

 

“Not now and not here.” Ai mumbled, lowering her gaze. “Come to the rooftop with me after school and I’ll tell you there.” Kyungsoo scrunched up his thick eyebrows, worrying internally about the gravity of the thing the girl was to say to him, considering that Ai, who was never afraid of anyone, wanted it to be done in complete confidentiality.

 

 

“WHAT?”

 

Kyungsoo’s jaw dropped as he gaped at the girl leaning against the metal fence, avoiding his gaze by fiddling with her fingernails, the soft afternoon wind sweeping her hair towards her face, partially hiding her expression. The boy started pacing around, trying to connect the dots in his head, his hands rising to rake through his hair in frustration. “You... You’ve actually— Oh my god, Ai! Are you ing dumb?!”

 

The girl flinched at the harsh tone, ducking her head down further, if that was even possible. Kyungsoo stopped his absent-minded walking, only to approach the girl and grip her shoulders to get her attention. “Just why... Why did you make up such a lie?”

 

“Jeez, I already told you, that nosy bastard was about to call mum and dad—”

 

“So what’s the big deal about that?” The boy simply couldn’t comprehend why she needed to go to such lengths in order to stop such a petty thing from happening. “I really can’t understand the way your brain works right now. The principal would’ve just called your parents to let them know about it, you would’ve told them it’s a misunderstanding and it would all be over in a matter of a day! Why would you...” he trailed off, shaking his head.

 

“Because they don’t deserve to know!” Ai snapped. “I don’t recall the last time they called to check up on me, not to mention the last time I’ve actually seen them. It’s probably been over a year. And I don’t want to give them the pleasure to act like some caring parents over a ty matter like this one!” she crossed her arms and huffed stubbornly. Kyungsoo directed her a worried look.

 

“Ai... They’re very busy people, I’m sure that they think of you every day and want to see you as soon as possible. Just... You just need to be patient.”

 

“Well, god knows I’ve been patient since I was born, waiting for them to finally act like real parents. But as I grew up I realized it was all in vain. Their work is always going to be the most important thing to them, telling myself the otherwise is just sad.” She took a deep breath in order to cool her head. “I’ve been doing great on my own until now, so I don’t see why they should meddle into my life now that I’m almost completely grown up.”

 

Kyungsoo was unable to say anything in opposition to her words, since he knew she was right about everything. That, and his heart ached for his friend who had been fighting all by herself with everything life threw her way up till now. She was indeed a strong person, but even the strongest people needed some kind of support or someone to lean on once in a while. And Kyungsoo swore that he would be that person for Ai since the very day they’ve opened up to each other.

 

Sighing, his hand flew to rub her arm with consolation. “Okay, then. I understand your reasoning now.” He frowned at the new question emerging in his mind. “So how long are you going to keep this up?”

 

There was a pause. Ai’s pupils started to dilate, but she quickly rushed to hide her flustered state. “I told him it’ll be for a few months, in order for people to believe us. Then we’ll break up because of our differences.” she delivered the explanation too rapidly, but Kyungsoo managed to understand it.

 

“Wait, ‘a few months’?!” His eyes widened. “Why? Knowing you, it would be two weeks tops! Why would you torture yourself for so long?!”

 

“W-well, we need the people to believe us. If it’s too short, they’ll become suspicious and that stupid rumour might arise again.”

 

“Since when do you care about what people think?!” Kyungsoo stared at the girl in incredulity. He felt as if he wasn’t looking at his best friend at all. What she said and how she’s been acting lately has been way too atypical and inconsistent for the girl he knew like the back of his hand. What has gotten into her?

 

Ai in return avoided his eyes, sighing exaggeratedly. “Oh, just stop it already! Can’t you just support me about this? You’re the only person beside the two of us who knows the truth, be a little grateful I trust you this much!”

 

Kyungsoo snorted. “Why should I be grateful for something that’s a given? I’m surprised you were able to keep this away from me for this long, considering your blunt personality.” Ai finally beamed a satisfied smile at his words, stepping forward to crush him in a hug. The boy faked a groan of displeasure, but couldn’t hamper a small smile from cracking on his features at the girl’s eventually brightened up mood.

 

But there was still something fishy about her behaviour. Letting aside the matter with her parents, she was acting rather suspiciously when it came to Chanyeol. He knew her as person who was in no way susceptible to being manipulated or threatened with something, and if all of this pretence had taken such a toll on her, why was she so obstinate about keeping it up for as long as several months? From Kyungsoo’s point of view, Ai had an ulterior motive, but even she herself hadn’t been aware of it. Either way, he decided it was for the best to not voice it out loud, and let the girl figure her thoughts and feelings out by herself, seeing as she usually preferred to get things done that way.

 

 

 

“Hey. Why aren’t you guys saying anything?” Chanyeol squinted at his friends sitting across him at the canteen table. “Why aren’t you congratulating me, you bastards?” He kicked the foot of the table, making it rattle.

 

“Ahh, he’s even more annoying than before...” Sehun sighed and shook his head, being held by his hand. He earned a gla

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter