Danger

Beastly
Please log in to read the full chapter

A week after first-handedly being saved from a close call assault in the subway, I hadn't really had much of my peace. Half the time people were either watching me or openly saying things even at my face since many had questioned why I had entered school that day together with the popular kids. 

Not confirming or denying what they assumed to be drew more dscomfort, but it wasn't really my thing to say something so openly if someone wanted to fish out information so I kept my mouth tightly sealed and just ignored the rude comments as much as I could.

Plus, I hadn't as much said a thank you to Joonmyeon, Jongin and Rin saving me the other day or even had the gall to speak pleasantries with them after the encounter at the subway and our impromptu brunch at the diner, but these days they were just as present in my life like the rest of the strangers trying to question my existence and why the popular kids were so hung up on me.

Today wasn't so different from the last.

The chime tinkled as another figure walked in and trailed his eyes around the coffee shop. His gaze briefly meeting mine until he blinked, his lips slowly melting to a smile as a call to his name made him snap his head to the owner of the voice.

He sauntered towards the table at the corner of the shop with three other boys already occupying it and gave them all a hug. He occupied the fourth chair which was vacant and exchanged pleasantries with his friends. It wasn’t really much of a sight, but I enjoyed what always happened after that. Girls would start ogling at the four boys as if they were the superior kind of human beings with the looks, riches, talent and all.

Not saying that I didn’t find them attractive. It was just I didn’t feel any attraction towards them. Sometimes I wondered if I was even capable of loving, but that was easily shoved back to the back of my brain every time I remembered how my own family disowned me, forgot about me and didn’t want me after all.

They just took me in out of obligation; that was the saddest part.

Someone knocked on the counter. I snapped out of my own thoughts and widened my eyes when I realized who the customer in front of me was. The fourth guy.

Looking at him now, he was kind of intimidating with his height—perhaps a six and something guy. His hair was curly in a natural way and his ears peek out from his sideburns making him look like an elf. If it wasn’t for the scowl on his face and his raised brow, I would have laughed at his appearance. He was trying so hard to look intimidating, but a tiny part of me knew that he was anything but.

Clearing my throat to rid him of any thoughts that I might just be ogling him, I asked for his order with a monotous tone. “What would you like to order, sir?” My hands hovered over the keys on the cash register, ready to punch in his order and the price, but instead of answering right away he lingered before the counter while sighing in contemplation of what he should order and occasionally looking at my face.

“We have our best-sellers if you can’t decide what to—“ I was about to say, but he shushed me right away, bringing a finger to his lips to signify this.

I sighed, tapping impatiently on the counter top already.

But he took his time while choosing his drink. Not that I was going to complain but he was interrupting our business. The customers would leave if he didn’t really remove himself from the line.

“Should I buy a café latte or should I—“ he dragged his words while letting his point finger trail at the menu. “just try something sweet?” I frowned. What was he even up to? Why stand in front of the line without making up his mind right away or just ask me to recommend him something? “What do you say, Yoon?” My eyes widened. He knew my name.

This idiot who hadn’t as much spared a glance at me during middle school knew my name. I was still trying to process this fact when he raised a brow at me inquisitively, his mouth slightly curving up to an almost indiscernible smile at the surprise visible on my face.

Getting a grip of myself, I cleared my throat again and answered simply, “it depends on what you would prefer at the moment. Something bitter or something sweet? Coffee based or cream based? Hot or cold?”

At this, if he wasn’t just a double personality lunatic, I would hold against him the grin that he just displayed at me so randomly. Then while snapping his fingers he answered quickly as if he was rapping a song. “Sweet. Cream-based. Cold! Yeah! Let’s go with that.”

I rolled my eyes, making sure he saw it. “Would a chocolate frappuccino with whip cream, caramel syrup and white chocolate kisses suffice?” He bobbed his head like a little boy and I only shook my head as I gave him the receipt and accepted his card.

I was in the middle of swiping his card when he leaned closer, propped his elbow on the counter and let his chin rest on his palm while watching me get on grumpily with my job. “You must have already seen me before, right?” he asked but I continued ignoring him. The lack of attention didn’t faze him though. “I’m sure you also know who I am. Park Chanyeol, yeah? Rings a bell?”

I grunted a reply and gave him back his card before stalking off to make his drink. From the background though, I could still make out his voice as he continuously spoke randomly.

“—your older brother, Jaehyun, is a very close friend of ours. You know how we hang out a lot back then in middle school? He talks a lot about you but never really introduced you to us. He said his sister is off limits. And when we insisted to bring you with him he really lashed out and even had a fist fight with Sehun who was—“

“Here’s your order,” I snapped, miffed at his talkativeness, while pushing the cold drink towards him.

He grinned at me again as he took the drink appreciatively and nodded at my work in approval. Gone was the intimidating elf that he trie

Please log in to read the full chapter