authors note

graveyard dreams

I don’t usually write long author notes but I felt like this was needed. I’ll try not to make this long, but if any of you know me a little, you know that sometimes that isn’t my choice. (Also I’m going to get sentimental, goggles advised.)

I don’t really know where to start. This definitely isn’t going to be some explain this or that, fill in this hole or that hole. I think, for once, I haven’t left any loose ends. I think, maybe. I want to start with mentioning how important this piece is to me. It is for the most part the longest piece of writing I have ever completed. For once though it wasn’t a long tangent of emotional distress, but rather a big roundabout of messy plot points...and emotional distress.

I think that’s my main issue. It’s my first piece of writing based around an actual plot. I tend to rely a lot on characters and character development, an emotional story. So, although this fic has just those, it also has a much bigger plot in the grand scheme of things. For my first time, I definitely don’t think I picked something easy to execute.

I’m glad I did it though. It took a year, a year where a lot of things happened in my personal life too. This fic was kind of my walking cane throughout it. It’s also a big learning step for me because it made realise the real difficulty of writing a plot heavy story. I bumped into a lot of problems, a lot stemming from the fact I really don’t plan any of this beforehand, and I really got to stop this. But also I learned that it’s hard to weigh good characters and a good plot together, it’s hard to focus on each correctly, and to satisfyingly come to a conclusion in both sections. Mark seems to always be a victim of my puppeteering. I don’t think I’ve ever written anything where I’m satisfied with his character, or at least the portrayal of his character. I think you could definitely get a little hint of that frustation in the last chapters.

Graveyard Dreams is a first among many for me when it comes to writing. As I just said, and as a chaptered fic. I don’t know if it’s something I could do again without properly planning. Unlike my other long fics which I upload in one go, I had the chance to go back and change, and edit what is necessary. With a chaptered fic that get’s updated as it’s written, I found the bumps that I needed to solve as I wrote, and that editing wasn’t an option.

Anyway, onto the good points, and enough of the reflecting and excuses. I loved the fact I poured my heart into this, even though sometimes I felt like I was preaching or that I was just projecting, I really put my thoughts into this. I know. You might be thinking how can anyone think so complicated, but I think everyone’s like this in some way, at some point. Questioning the world? I’ve learn it’s a bit of an infinite question.

Dreams, memories, people, the lot have always been something I was interested in. I’ve written a dissertation about it based on the film Inception (I know, some of you clocked it. It is, in fact, my favourite film.) I read a lot of books for it, and I found out a lot of things; some theories, some facts, some definitely not facts. I ended up falling in love with philosophy in the process.

So, I guess in the end this fic is a little bit of me in some ways. Just as anything else I write, I put myself in it - like the old saying goes (I’m not directly quoting), you can’t really write about things you don’t know. Although I most certainly tried.

Endings were never my forte. I think endings are one of the hardest things right after filling in the middle when it comes to writing for a lot of people. I don’t know how it comes off now if you’ve read this all in one go or if you’ve been reading it as I wrote, I think it’d be a different experience for every single one. All I can say in the end is that (for once) I didn’t rush it, I really thought about it, and I finally closed the book. Now I’m not going to act like this was concluded or done in the most clear-cut, concise way. I know some may still be really confused and I’m not the greatest writer or even close to just be like ‘figure it out on your own’ so I’ll drop some links to contact me below (or you can comment) if you want to ask questions or ask about certain characters etc.

Now to Sam, my beta, and greatest enemy. I’m writing this here to embarrass you in front of anyone and because we never have a coherent conversation where I can tell you all this gooey stuff. Thank you, truly, for everything. From way before we started talking on twitter, thank you for reading and liking my work in the first place. Thank you for talking to me and being my friend, even if you want to deny it or you keep insisting you’re leaving. You’ve helped me so much and there’s literally nothing I could do to return the favour, so I’ll just thank you for a lifetime (you heard me, lifetime).

It’s been a long journey. I guess in the end I want to say thank you for reading. Thank you for those who have been with me since the beginning, to those that waited out till it was finished, to those that just randomly found it and read it. Thank you for reading it. I know a lot people say writing should be for themselves because you can’t please everyone, which is true. However, I’d like to see writing as something for everyone, me included. This is my outlet, my home, my heart, and I’m giving it you.

 

ways to contact me; 
twitter: https://twitter.com/silkscrews | tumblr: moonchl.tumblr.com | curiouscat.me/aquilaprisca