an exchange

graveyard dreams

Jinyoung had gone into respiratory arrest. The machines had suddenly started beeping urgently, doctors and nurses rushing in within seconds. Mark watched from his corner while men and women in blue and white coats flew in constant opposite lines. Wires and machines, needles and fluid, that awful beeping, and the smell of chemicals made Mark want to be sick. It’s his third experience being in a hospital and he thinks it’s enough to say he doesn’t like it at all.

After Jinyoung stabled, the doctors had tried to explain to Mark what had happened; something to do with oxygen not flowing properly. They asked him if Jinyoung had sustained any injuries to his head but Mark came out empty. He’d overheard them later in the halls talking about how illogical and sudden Jinyoung’s symptoms were, none of them could make out what was going on. After the attack, nurses and doctors started to come in more frequently.

You haven’t moved an inch from that corner since you got here, Mark.” Barrick says from the very seat he himself hasn’t moved an inch from the moment they got here. “Shouldn’t you be next to him?

Mark has his arms crossed across his chest, his eyes unblinking and solid as they stare down at Jinyoung. Jinyoung, now with a mask around his face, sleeping a sleep that looked so peaceful that Mark would have thought he’d already died if it weren’t for the sound of his pulse coming from the machine.

Sadiya gives Mark a guilty look from where she’s standing by the door. “Mark…” She calls out, her lips contorted. “About earlier…

“You were testing me, right?” Mark says, neither in anger or irritation.

Sadiya looks downs, pulling gently at her earlobe. “Yes, I suppose.

Barrick huffs from his corner, “A test? It looked like a butchering to me.

Sadiya gives him a thin glare, “Well if I was going to have to spend the rest of eternity with you lot, I’d rather not have an unfeeling, robot of a ghost beside me throughout it.” She snaps and Barrick puts his hands up in defence, edging back into the seat. Sadiya gives Barrick another little glare before softening her expression and turning towards Mark. “Besides, you’re still living… for now. I just didn’t want you to regret anything, Mark. At least not the way we do.

“I get it.” Mark says with a sigh. “Besides you sort of woke me up… even if it was at the last minute.” He moves himself from his position, body stiff and reluctant to walk but he forces the steps out of them, making his way to Jinyoung’s side. “What happened, Sadiya, back then?” He asks, crouching down so his head was levelled with Jinyoung’s.

What happened?

Mark goes to slide a hand under Jinyoung’s limp one and looks up at her from across the room, “Why did you go back home? I share your memories but I don’t share your thoughts. I don’t really understand.”

Sadiya leans her head back, her eyes up to the ceiling in thought. “Nightmares, my friend.” She sighs. “Jinns. Youngjae told you that they saw their end coming and he was right. They couldn’t live in a world where religion was secondary and metal made up the land. They knew their extinction was close and they were going to take every damn human they could with them.” She gave Barrick and Mark each a single, long look. “They were like… poison in the air, and we all drank it in. They started playing with us, playing at our weaknesses, and we all reacted in different ways… some stronger than others.

They enticed you to go back, even though you knew it was the most dangerous place for you?” Barrick asks, the sleeves of his shirt were rolled up and his hair was back to its usual neat, swept back state. He’s concentrating. Mark smiles to himself and Barrick twitches almost like he could hear the thought.

I’d thought there wasn’t much left for me there. I thought I didn’t have any glimmer of affection for that city and its… pathetic walls but I was wrong.” Sadiya says. “I’d simply forced myself to not think about it. To think about how much I missed my mother.” Sadiya looks to the floor, her eyelids fluttering. “I was weak to it, I gave into their tauntings and soon enough I made Hakim take me back home. We’d fought for days, but in the end he wasn’t someone that could say no to me.” She says this softly, gently whilst staring at Jinyoung, maybe the first glimpse of love for the man Mark sees in her memories.

The door opens then, a nurse with a clip board bows and enters quietly. Mark doesn’t miss the little glance she gives their intertwined hands as she ticks away at the paper with her pen. No words are exchanged as Sadiya and Barrick meld into the air and Mark brings his eyes back to Jinyoung. When the nurse finally leaves, Barrick clears his throat and nudges at Sadiya with his chin.

What did you expect, going there?” Barrick asks, as Mark rubs his thumb to the back of Jinyoung’s hand, trying not to think about just how cold Jinyoung’s skin was against his own.

I don’t know… I guess I just wanted to ease my worries…” Sadiya shrugs, the arms of her tunic now rolled up to her elbows. “It was stupid because just as Hakim and I had been tormented by demons, so were the people of the city. My father especially. He was a loving man but he was a man nonetheless. A man with too much pride and too dependant on his dignity, so he was basically a feast for the Jinns.” She spat the words to the ground and in a breath between her teeth.

Mark could feel the emotions binding and twisting between them; sadness, hatred, disgust. Faded and torn feelings, crumpled and stepped on for years and years until all that was left amongst the venom was exhaustion.

Sadiya blinks and looks up abruptly, clearing . Barrick and Mark stayed where they were, silently. “Anyways, I’ll save you the gory details of what happened in the end, you probably have seen those pretty memories vividly anyway. In the end, I died and Hakim… well, Hakim was never one to rest, was he now?” She shakes her head.

Do you regret it? Going back?” Barrick asks, staring absentmindedly at the floor.

Sadiya looks at him with a half smile. “Every. Damn. Day.” She punches out. “But well, where would we be if it weren’t for the things we did or didn’t do?

“Or who would we be?” Mark adds.

Barrick blinks and looks up at Mark, “A question for fate?

Or maybe fate’s question for us?” Sadiya throws out.

They chuckle together, it’s a small moment of lightheartedness that abruptly gets popped by the sudden cry of the machines. Beeping and screeching explodes from around him whilst Jinyoung begins to shake violently in his bed.

It’s only a couple of seconds until the door swings open and the same doctors and nurses come rushing in. “Excuse me, sir. Could you leave for a moment?” One of the nurses kindly but hurriedly asks Mark as she tugs on his arm.

“Is it another attack?” One of the junior doctors asks and it’s the last thing Mark hears before the door is shut behind him and nothing but white noise follows.

Mark stands dimly in the hospital hallway. Whiteness drags on for what looks like eternity, bright lights flashing against metal while doctors and patients in their designated gowns warp into the walls. Mark thinks he’s going to be sick. He has the vague, distant thought to get to a toilet but the thought disperses as a small, warm hand wraps around Mark’s.

Mark in a long, deep breath, letting his lungs expand to the bottom, holding it in until it becomes painful, and then releases it. The white noise clears and soon enough his surroundings come back to him, to where Insook is beside him, her hand in his.

“Ahjumma,” Mark calls out softly. Wrinkles that once made her look shrivelled up and angry now seem looser, gentle around the eyes and the lips. She’s looking up at him with clear worry in her eyes.

“I don’t want you in a bed too, Mark.” She says and tugs on his hand hard, dragging him to the idle seats just outside Jinyoung’s room. “He’ll be fine, he’ll be fine.” She comforts, rubbing Mark’s back.

Mark stares at her small figure, noticing a pile of blankets hung around her free arm, and suddenly felt like crying. He knows that’d only get him a slap across the face though so he tries his best to it in and not give in to the old comfort that elders seem to just protrude. “Thank you, Ahjumma… for everything.”

Insook shakes her head. “I’ve done nothing to be thanked for.”

“You were never curious? Never wanted to know what was really going?” Mark asks. He’d been avoiding being alone with her for too long, worried she’d give in to questions. She always seemed like the type to want to be in control and this is just a situation that no one could control.

She stops patting Mark’s back and drops it down to her lap, patting the set of blankets in her lap instead. “When you have seen the things I have seen, experience teaches you when you should ask and when you don’t, when you know you can help and when all you can do is simply… observe idly.” She murmurs, her voice uncharacteristically low.

Sadiya suddenly appears, standing before the two of them. Her golden tunics are harsh against Mark’s eyes, the light basically reflecting off her like a mirror. What’s her full name?

Mark gives Insook a look from the side and then a curious glance up at Sadiya. Lee Insook. He answers in his mind and is caught off guard by the look on Sadiya’s face. She’s smiling, a full blown out smile that has the ends of her lips digging into her cheeks and curving her eyes.

Fate’s a bastard, isn’t he? Sadiya almost giggles. Giggles.

Fate’s a man? Barrick retorts in amusement from beside the two of them, leaning nonchalantly against the wall.

Well he would be, wouldn’t he? Sadiya says with a raise of her eyebrows. Barrick doesn’t refute it.

What are you both talking about? Mark asks in silent confusion, looking up at the two of them for answers.

“Professor! Professor!” Mihyun’s voice practically booms down the hallway, bouncing off the walls in an echo that just got louder. “I brought him!” She hollers as she stampedes down towards them. Following just behind is Youngjae, surprisingly running just as fast.

“You were faster than I expected.” Mark says, just as Mihyun pulls the brakes and screeches to a haggard stop in front of them.

“Taxi… drivers with no care for the law… are great.” She wheezes hard, hands to her hips.

“Mark… what’s going on?” Youngjae asks first thing, seemingly unphased from the run. “Is Jinyoung ok-”

The room door opens just then, the doctors and nurses spilling out like ants in lab coats. One doctor, older and taller, fine grey lines streaking his hair, turns towards the lot of them and scopes out Mark. “You’re Park Jinyoung’s guardian, right? His professor? I spoke to you earlier.”

“Uh… yes.” Mark nods, the memory vague.

“Well, he’s okay… for now. We’ve yet to figure out what’s causing the arrests-”

“Arrests!?” Mihyun pipes from the back and then slaps a hand to her face.

The doctor gives her a quick look before continuing. “As I said, we don’t know what’s causing them. He hadn’t shown any signs when he first came in so we’re going to run some tests, get some scans and an MRI done. I do need to mention though… if these attacks persist, his life will be in danger.”

It’s already in danger.

Mark clears his throat and gives the doctor a nod, “Thank you, Doctor. Can we go inside?”

“For now, yes. Some nurses will come by soon to take him for his scan.” He says and then bows before briskly walking away.

Mark watches him until he turns a corner down the hall and then turns around abruptly. “Let’s talk inside.” Mark says pointedly.

“I’ll go bring some tea.” Insook says and turns away without another word. Mark takes in a deep breath and watches her hunched back. I’ll see you later.

“Quick, we haven’t got a lot of time.” Mark says to Youngjae and grabs him by the wrist, dragging him inside the room, followed closely by Mihyun.

“What’s going on, Mark?” Youngjae asks as he makes his way further in, his eyes instantly falling upon Jinyoung. “Why is he… why is he like this?”

Mark locks the door behind him and turns to the two of them, finding Sadiya and Barrick already having made themselves comfortable around the seat by the door. “He’s dying, Youngjae, he’s been dying since his memories started coming. Since I triggered them. You didn’t know?”

Youngjae’s eyebrows knit together, “Dying? Are you sure?”

“Sleeping more often, headaches, nightmares, his memories coming back in such fragmented ways. What made you think this would end well?” Mark snaps, and then quickly bites back his lip. This isn’t what he called Youngjae for. “Look there’s no point in going over this again. I need to ask you one simple thing... do you still want to live this out? This revenge?”

Youngjae finally turns to look at Mark then, narrowed eyes and lips slightly turned down. “What are you talking about?”

“I’m asking you a very simple question,” Mark says hard, closing the gap between them so there’s just a few inches of space. “Do you still want to live out this revenge?”

“You mean continue to remember… alongside Jinyoung?” Youngjae says.

“Yes.”

Youngjae looks at Mark and then at Jinyoung, his eyes spinning around the place. Mark can maybe imagine what is going on through his head; thoughts, memories, ghosts. To Mark, the room felt crowded but he wonders what it’s like for Youngjae right now, how many lives are weighing in on his own.

“I’d give it up.” Youngjae says finally, his voice almost distant until a chuckle slips. “It would seem alongside demons, even ghosts get tired.” His smile drops quickly. “But you haven’t explained anything, Mark, wanting to give up isn’t the same as being able to.”

“It’s a start.” Mark says with a swallow, the full extent of his plan now slowly hitting him. His eyes fall on Jinyoung tucked in bed. He looked paler and Mark feared to touch him again. “I remembered Sadiya.”

“Y-you what?” Youngjae stutters. “You remember her? So you must know now?”

Mark nods, “No one made a wish Youngjae, if our theory is right, I have wishes.”

“Is this your plan then? Has Sadiya opened up a path or something?” Youngjae asks hurriedly, his eyes shone bright, they were hopeful.

“Not exactly. She just made some things clear.” Mark says, watching Youngjae’s face. “Jinn’s don’t grant wishes, Youngjae. They make deals, you must know that better than any of us.”

Youngjae’s face drops in an instant, a monotone look shrouding his face. “I see. So it’s pointless.”

“Why is it pointless?” Mihyun interjects hurriedly. Mark looks towards her standing tightly, the tips of her toes tapping away in anxiety. “Why is it pointless? You can save him, can’t you? Save everyone?”

Youngjae looks from Mihyun to Mark. “Five hundred years. Five hundred years. Do you know what we’ve-they’ve seen; destruction, death, wars and blood beyond your comprehension. Do you know what one thing we share so keenly with demons, Mark? It’s pain, vivid pain, and that seems to be the only thing this world seems to offer. So tell me, after all this time, what could a demon possibly want anymore?”

“Being together, don’t you think?” Mark says with conviction.

Youngjae looks taken back. “What are you talking about?”

“Two deals were made, Youngjae. Two deals, two humans, two Jinns… all connected to me.” Mark explains. “What would a creature of a species that’s nearly extinct, that is tired and all alone in the world possibly want after so long?”

“You can’t be serious-”

“It’s a deal they can’t refuse!” Mark snaps, hands clenched and anxiety clawing up his throat. “They can’t refuse it. You said it yourself, they’re tired, Youngjae.”

Youngjae takes a step closer to Mark and shoves him harshly at the shoulder, “So what you’re saying is you’re going to give yourself up so these… things can finally be together?”

“No…” Mark whispers. “I’m giving myself up in exchange for you two.”

Youngjae takes a step back, a shaky palm to his mouth, his eyes wide. “You don’t know what you’re bringing upon yourself, Mark. Eternity isn’t a joke. You’ll be all alone.”

Mark his lips, his throat closing off and he’s begging silently for the strength not to break down and cry right now. He sees in the corner of his eyes: blonde hair and small shaky hands intertwined together. He looks towards Mihyun, all red eyes and trembling. Besides her are Sadiya and Barrick, looking up at him with the softest of looks, and the most understanding of them all.

“I’m not alone.” He says quietly and then looks towards Jinyoung. “But most importantly, I’ll never regret this.”

“You don’t know that, you don’t know this feeling-”

Youngjae,” Mark calls out harshly. “It’s time for change.”

Youngjae bites his lips, frustrated hands ruffling at his hair. “You need to think about this more-” He stops himself this time, in a breath the moment his eyes laid upon Jinyoung again. “We don’t have time, do we?”

“We can’t guarantee anything in the next life. We need to do this now.” Mark says hurriedly, the adrenaline and fear pumping furiously in his veins, blocking out every other thought that could trample his conviction right now. It was either now or never.

A once in forever opportunity.

Youngjae stares down at Jinyoung with an unreadable expression, his jaw tight and his lip tucked in. Eventually he gives in with a weak nod and downcast eyes. Mark could see it clearly in his body, all the grief, the guilt and even the relief.

Rigidly, Mark moves towards Jinyoung. His heart beating in his ears, drumming like a song so ferociously. In hindsight, he has absolutely no clue what he’s doing or if it’ll even work. Hope and fear thick in the room, suffocating and tight. The feelings Mark has kept so tightly locked inside himself spilling into the room and there’s no way to shut the box again. He finally gave into the tears, sadness, worry, and love spilling down his face as he crumpled beside Jinyoung on the floor.

He didn’t know what to say, or better yet there was too much to say. He understood now, if even slightly, the need for more time, how much Jinyoung must have begged for it, for the small moments they had and wished for them to last for eternity.

They will. You won’t forget. Barrick says quietly.

Mark in a breath and straightens himself up so he can lean against the mattress, just beside Jinyoung’s hand. He’s still afraid to touch him, afraid of the cold, afraid of losing him.

“It’s okay, Professor. We’re with you.” Mihyun whispers from beside Mark as she grabs his hand and wraps it around Jinyoung’s. “We’re always going to be with you.” She says and holds their hands tightly. Mark looks down at her shaky palm and smiles a little.

Youngjae comes into vision then, crouching beside Jinyoung from the opposite side. “We’ll always be friends.” Youngjae says and looks directly at Mark. “We always have been.”

Mark nods eagerly, wiping away the rogue tears with the back of his hand. “Okay… let’s do this-” Mark’s words get caught in his throat as he sees the bar of the bed before him rattle ever so slightly.

“Oh no…” Mihyun murmurs. Her words seem like a trigger because in the next second the rattling amplifies and suddenly the whole room is vibrating. “Is it Jinyoung!?” Mihyun screams as she crouches down into a ball whilst the room begins to violently shake.

Mark struggles to grab a footing, his arms locked around the rails of the bed as he pushes himself up to where he finds Jinyoung’s eyes are wide open, his body convulsing violently. The beeping of machines are like sirens, high pitch screams alongside the rumble of the ground.

“Mark! Mark!” Youngjae shouts from across the bed. “There’s no time now.”

“I know! I know!” Mark panickingly shouts back, his hand now in an iron grip around Jinyoung. “Jinyoung? Jinyoung, can you hear me?” He calls out as his other hand goes to hold Jinyoung by the head. He doesn’t seem to see him though, doesn’t register him at all. Tears start spilling down Mark’s face again as he quickly goes in to give him one quick kiss, his lips shakingly pressed to his forehead. He thinks the words or whispers them, he can’t tell, his head drowning in noise, clattering and the beeping, his heartbeat raging in his head.

It’s time.

Mark closes his eyes, both hands clamped around Jinyoung’s. He tries to breathe in steadily despite the feeling of having the ground break up from beneath his feet.

“Mark! Mark! Wait!” Youngjae calls out urgently. Mark cracks an eye open. “My name- my name-” He shouts out desperately.

Now or never.

Mark looks towards Jinyoung now, knowing that the only way he could do this is by looking at him. He’d wished for one more moment maybe, for a chance to talk to him one last time. But as fate would have it, opportunities were only so rare.

So he takes a deep breath, and intertwines their fingers together as the world falls apart around them. And in the same moment Mark signs a deal with the devil, Jinyoung’s eyes flicker towards Mark’s and the world is frozen in that one millisecond.