Chapter 1

The Art of Parenting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YG Studio. 7:00 pm. June 10, 2022

Ji-yong let out a heavy sigh. He turned off his laptop and buried his face in his hands. He had been trying to finish this song for BIGBANG's album for weeks, but nothing was inspiring him. Yang Hyun-Suk had been breathing down his neck for the past few days, urging him to finish the song so that BIGBANG could have their comeback.

It had been six long years since the group had released a song, and VIPs were getting impatient waiting for their next album. Seungri was due to be discharged from the army by the end of the year, and Yang Hyun-Suk was eager for BIGBANG to have their comeback next year.

"If your group doesn't have a comeback soon, the public will forget about you," Yang Hyun-Suk had said to him yesterday. "Get it together, Ji-yong-ah!"

The memory made Ji-yong groan in frustration. He loved his hyung, but he didn't need the constant nagging to finish the album. He could already feel the pressure from everyone else around him.

Suddenly, his phone buzzed in his pocket. He took it out and looked at it.

Taeyeon: Don't stay late at work tonight. We need to talk.

Ji-yong: OK.

Ji-yong wondered what was so important that she couldn't tell him over the phone. His thoughts drifted towards his wife, and he recalled how they had first started dating. It was in 2015 when he first asked her out, and he remembered how they hid their relationship from the public.

Only their members, families and managers knew about them at the time. He recalled how dating rumours about them started circulating, to the point where YG and SM had to deny the relationship. It was in 2016 when Dispatch finally caught them together, holding hands as they walked down a dimly lit sidewalk. 

The reaction from the public had been overwhelmingly negative at first. Sones thought that the the big, bad G- dragon would corrupt their sweet, innocent kid leader. VIPS thought that Taeyeon's introverted ways made her incompatible with G-dragon's party-all-night lifestyle.

Eventually, many of them began to support the unusual couple, dubbed 'G-tae' after realizing that they were actually a good match for each other. That year, they were named 'Power Couple of the Year' by several Korean news outlets. 

It was in 2018 when Ji-yong and Taeyeon's relationship had been put to a test. It was time for Ji-yong to enlist in the army, and he and Taeyeon were wondering if their relationship would still be the same after he came back from the army.

"A lot can change in two years," Taeyeon had said with tears in her eyes as she hugged Ji-yong. "What if you change your mind about me?"

"I won't change my mind about you," Ji-yong had said fiercely. But deep down, he knew that she was right. They may be crazy about each other now, but what if his experience in the army would change him? Or what if Taeyeon found someone new while he's in the army?

Ji-yong recalled having to hold back his tears until after Taeyeon had left his house. It had been one of the worst days of his life.

While he was in the army, he thought about her everyday. He missed her laugh, her smile and the way she always made him feel better after a bad day. But he had also been terrified of losing Taeyeon. His days were filled wondering if she had met someone new and was starting to change her mind about their relationship. 

He had little to no communication with the outside world while he had been in the army. But when he was able to make contact, Taeyeon always reassured him over the phone that he was the only one for her and that she was patiently waiting for the day that he would come back home.

Ji-yong remembered the day he was discharged from the army. Taeyeon had cried as she hugged and showered him with kisses. It had been the second happiest day of his life.

The happiest day of his life, of course, was when he proposed to Taeyeon in 2021. And she had said yes. They had gotten married and Taeyeon had moved in with him. The rest was history.

Ji-yong couldn't have asked for a more perfect life. He was happily married to the most beautiful, most wonderful woman he had ever met. He lived in a lavish condo in Galleria Foret. His career was still doing well after all these years. But there was just one thing that was missing.

Even though he and Taeyeon had been married for a year now, they still didn't have a child. It was one of the things that Ji-yong looked forward to the most after he and Taeyeon had gotten married. It was no secret that he loved children. Ji-yong was still hoping for that day to come when Taeyeon would tell him that she was pregnant.

"Hey Ji-yong," said a deep voice behind him. Ji-yong turned around, and relaxed when he realized that it was Kush. He had been so deep in thought that he hadn't even heard the music producer enter the studio. He was helping Ji-yong create songs for BIGBANG's next album.

"You seem to be thinking hard about something," Kush commented as he sat down on the chair next to Ji-yong. "What were you thinking about?"

"Well..." Ji-yong hesitated before continuing. "Taeyeon and I have been trying to have a baby since last year, but we've been unsuccessful so far. I know it's only a matter of time until Taeyeon gets pregnant, but I want her to get pregnant sooner rather than later. I just can't wait until we have a baby."

"Actually, you and Taeyeon have been waiting an unusually long time for a baby."

"I thought it was normal for a couple to have to wait this long for a baby."

"It's actually not normal at all. If you're really trying to have a baby, Taeyeon should have gotten pregnant by this time. Unless one of you is infertile."

"Infertile? None of us are infertile!" Ji-yong exclaimed.

"Are you sure? Did you go to the doctor?"

"No..."

"Well, what are you waiting for? You should get yourselves checked out as soon as possible. Even if it turns out that you guys aren't infertile, you've ruled out the possibility, right?" Kush reasoned.

"Yeah, hyung. Thanks for the advice," said Ji-yong. While Kush made himself busy going over the beats and melodies he had created yesterday, Ji-yong's mind wandered.

What if I'm the infertile one? Ji-yong thought. What if I'm the reason Taeyeon and I haven't been able to have a child yet?

 SM Studio. 7:00 pm

"That's it, I can't do this anymore," Taeyeon groaned as she slipped the headphones off of her head. She was in the recording studio, recording a song for her next solo album. It had been three years since her last solo comeback, but her company was not rushing her like they normally would have done in the past. They had put the date of Taeyeon's comeback as indefinite. They weren't rushing her this time because they figured that she would get pregnant any day now.

Ever since she married Ji-yong, the SM Entertainment had not planned any long-term projects for Taeyeon to do. This meant no comebacks and concerts. The company

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter