1 AM

Isochronal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

she stood in front of the bathroom mirror tying her bangs up into a knob atop her head to wash her face. it was too late, or maybe too early, for her to be awake. nonetheless, after a sunday full of nothing besides wasting time, her skin felt greasy and she decided she couldn’t stay awake much longer. her parents left her alone in their moderate three bedroom home as they took a random extended weekend off to relax as a “happily” married couple. she was grown though, grown enough to have decided to skip classes for the monday they would continue to be gone. not to throw a rager or sneak off with the neighbor boy they often accused her of secretly seeing. rather to just sit at home, totally alone, and bask in the pleasure of doing next to nothing.

 

she completed her nightly routine and stood up to check her complexion. nothing out of sorts. checking to make sure all of the products on the shelf unit above the toilet were closed and put back in their spot, a light sprinkle of rain began to fall just outside the window. she looked into the stretch of blackness covering her yard and felt glad she would be staying home the next day. the water would freeze onto the frigid winter ground and create slick ice patches. she closed the blinds and left the bathroom, making sure to flick the light off while doing so.

 

as she walked into her bedroom, the rain grew and became audible atop the noise of commercials sounding from her television. fine by her, she enjoyed the pitter-patter. turning off the lamp on her bedside but letting the tv play, the glow doubled as a nightlight suitable for adults. she watched a bit of wordless infomercials and naturally let her eyes fall closed.

 

for three seconds. they popped back open when a new sound came from the front door, something she had to grab the remote and turn down the volume to make sure she heard correctly. it was knocking. who the hell would be knocking on her door at one a.m.

 

are you ing kidding me

 

she stared at the ceiling and contemplated whether or not she was just hearing things. several rasps later annoyed her enough to get out of bed and go down the hall towards the front door. she peaked through the small hole where the cord intersect the plastic of the blinds and let her shoulders go limp. it was the stupid neighbor boy. she wished she had his number so she could just text him to go away. he never came over unless provoked by his own parents, so his request must be worthwhile.

 

or he could just be desperately .

 

having made herself quiet as all could be, she stood still behind the door of the dark room and tested his patience. it must have been five minutes by now since his first knock and he had yet to give up. even if what he had to ask or say was idiotic as per usual, she felt he deserved a moment of her time after standing in the now torrential downpour. she peeked through the small hole again only to be met with his wandering eye now locking onto hers.

 

open up already you

 

she didn’t know they were close enough for such loving pet names. nonetheless she garnered enough sympathy to unlock and open the wooden door, keeping the screen one closed so there was still some barrier.

 

what

 

i dropped my keys and can’t see

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter