Mellifluous

Written Words

 

mellifluous

(adj.) (of a voice or words) sweet or musical; pleasant to hear

 

Rubbing a hand over his face, Jiyong let out a frustrated sigh. Nothing was working out tonight, and for the fifth time that week, he absolutely could not—for the life of him—get out of this seemingly eternal creative rut he was in. It always ended up like this lately. For some ridiculous reason, the higher-ups told him to wrap up 3 new songs by next week, and what’s equally ridiculous was the fact that he promised he’d do it. Of course with the amount of expectation everyone had, pressure, anxiety and nerves kicked in. Not that he thought his music was bad (oh hell no); there were just days when he overthought. Days when he felt nothing but stress. Breathing out a heavy sigh again, he threw his ukulele rashly on the sleek worktable in front of him, mentally drained after spending a good hour and a half attempting to create a decent hook. Jiyong scooted his swivel chair to grab a steaming cup of coffee which was gingerly placed away from his expensive keyboards. After taking a few tentative sips, he leaned back against the cool leather and promptly relaxed. Studying the venti-sized cup in his hands, he noticed familiar, lazily-drawn doodles on it. He chuckled softly. It was a strange habit of hers. Jiyong deemed it childish in front of Taeyeon—he adored the annoyed pout she would give him when she got teased—but really he found the writings endearing. A badly drawn cartoon version of himself. Symbols for Pisces and Leo. A creepy, smirking sun emoji. Several hearts. “Inhale and Exhale”. In such a fast-paced life like his, the little things had to count, so he made sure to save every single cup she ever brought, scribbles and all. He always placed them in a neat stack next to his work laptop, another stack taking up space on top of his bedside table at home. The sight served as inspiration—a reminder of the good things in life. That he had someone who wouldn’t mind staying up until 6am just to talk with him for hours over the phone. Someone who gets pissed at him for drinking rounds of alcohol. Someone whose voice he can’t seem to get enough of.

Jiyong carefully set his coffee cup down, and turned around in his chair. He zeroed in on the person currently sprawled comfortably on the black couch, dark brown eyes busy scanning the contents of a pocket-sized Moleskine. It’s scary and relieving how her mere presence calmed him down—other than that one time she drunkenly believed that stealing his keys and taking his Bentley out for a spin at 5am was a fantastic idea.

“You’re staring, oppa,” Taeyeon remarked, putting the notebook aside. Still, he gazed at her with an unreadable expression. “Can’t come up with anything?” she finally asked, covering with a hand to smother a yawn. Jiyong shook his head, slowly got up from his chair and headed towards the lithe figure across the room. Almost by instinct she scooted to open up space, greeting him with wide arms and the soft material of her cotton sweater. Realizing there really wasn’t any room for him, Taeyeon snorted. The couch was too small for them, and he practically flopped on top of her in a failed attempt at a proper hug.

“Oppa, you’re too heavy!” she giggled, squirming underneath his weight. He seemed to realize her slight discomfort so he adjusted his arms on either side of Taeyeon’s head, elbows placed just above her shoulders. Face inching closer and closer to hers, one corner of Jiyong's mouth quirked up slightly. He leaned down and whispered in her ear, “Better?” Trying to hold back a smile, she could only nod shyly before meeting soft, eager lips. Spurred on by cold, dainty hands grabbing the back of his neck, Jiyong took his time: not rushed but slow and sweet; tender and not forceful. He moved downwards, tongue running tiny circles on a particularly sensitive spot near her jaw, teeth gently nipping milky-white skin near the crook of her shoulder. Taeyeon responded with a low hum and a light tug at his hair. Feeling bold, he sat up and meant to yank off his shirt when a muffled shriek escaped from her lips, arms pushing him abruptly off the couch.

“Really now? A man trying his best to please and you still kick him out?” he complained in a teasing tone, still lying on the floor clutching his sides in mock pain.

“Life can get cruel sometimes.” she declared with a playful grin, making sure to pause after each word for emphasis. He couldn't help but snicker at the way she pushed and pulled sometimes. Jiyong sat on the corner seat of the sofa, grabbed Taeyeon’s waist and gently lifted her onto his lap. Burying her head in his chest she quietly murmured, “You know I’m just stopping by, right? You’re going to have to sneak me into the parking lot in about 15 minutes anyway”.

“Stay for 15 more. Tell me, what genius excuse did you have up your sleeve this time?”

“Grocery shopping.”

“You’re joking, right? This late at night?” he replied incredulously. “They fell for that?” he laughed, finding their situation a little bit ridiculous. She was making it almost impossible for people not to suspect. It was a miracle that people haven't caught on yet. She only shrugged in response. They stayed quiet for a while, shuffling again so that Taeyeon sat upright with her feet resting on the tabletop, and Jiyong taking up the rest of the couch, his head lying on Taeyeon’s lap.

“You wanted them to know.” Although it technically wasn't a question, she knew the statement was directed at her.

"Is that bad? Am I rushing this?" She was only met with deafening silence. Taeyeon knew she shouldn’t have tried to be vocal with her concerns. Jiyong usually shied away from confrontation, but insecurity got to her and she badly wanted to know how things currently stood. They were communicating better nowadays and were physically affectionate for sure, but did Jiyong think of them as something temporary? Stress relief? Or are they hopefully on the same page? It was hard not to share these thoughts with anyone, not when they agreed to keep things a secret until they were both comfortable.

 

“How does it go again?” she asked, desperately trying to coax an answer from him.

“What goes what?”

“The lyrics in your notebook. The second to last one, I think.”

It took him a minute to realize that she was referring to an incomplete song he had written months ago, possibly the eight single off of MADE if the members decided to go with it. So she noticed? The song was actually about the first few weeks of their relationship. About how he felt so hesitant and unsure. Did she really think he still felt the same way as before?

“That? I still haven’t figured it out yet,” he said, trying to deflect the unspoken question she was trying to raise between them. Noticing the way his body stiffened, she tried to ease the tension by combing her fingers through his hair. Despite his (now) orange hair getting a little damaged from years of dyeing, she loved touching it. It was one of the little things she secretly enjoyed; although it was unfair how he managed to make it look so goddamn soft every time. Damn him and his luxury hair products.

Jiyong continued focusing on the calming sensations her gentle touch brought. He wished she could stay for one night and keep her to himself. Hands still carding through his hair, Taeyeon ended up humming a tune he didn’t recognize. He couldn't put a finger on it, but it sounded right somehow. It sounded like clarity and raw emotion. He wanted to savor the moment, ingrain the memory in his head and tuck it away safely, away from nosy people, from the paparazzi, away from the world. He'd never felt so selfish. It had been a long time since he’d felt bliss like this.

“You should teach me how to rap some time,” she muttered out of nowhere, breaking him out of his peaceful trance.

“I love you sunshine, but you’re a terrible rapper. Remember Fantastic Baby in the car?” Fishing for something in his pocket, Jiyong dangled his phone in front of her, "I got video evidence. Perfect blackmail material if you ask me." Taeyeon scoffed at him, hands already pushing him aside. He landed on the floor with a loud thud, his cheeks hurting from laughter and a small pout forming on her face.

Looking up from below he noticed she was searching through his lyrics again, humming to the same indistinct tune.

“What song are you singing?” he asked curiously.

“No idea. It fits your lyrics though,” she showed him the pages, her left index finger pointing to the same song she brought up earlier. So she really does think I'm not taking this relationship seriously.

He stayed put on the ground, his arms underneath his head and considered what they had promised months ago. Keeping it from everybody was a stupid idea. After deciding on something, Jiyong got up, quickly stretched and grabbed his car keys. He extended a hand towards Taeyeon who shot him a confused look.

“Are we going now? The last group of staff members check out at midnight. We might bump into people if we leave this early,” she warned, brows furrowed, clearly concerned with being caught together at a place like his company building.

“Here, put on your coat. I’m driving you home tonight. You can take off your face mask if you want to. How are the girls by the way? It’s been months since I’ve seen them.” He headed towards the door, stopping to look back once he noticed the lack of movement across the room. He wasn’t surprised that his girlfriend was staring at him in a daze. After all, this was a step forward. A massive one.

“Am I going to have to leave you here all by yourself while I stop for chicken wings?” He was smirking again. Bastard.

Slipping into her coat, she made her way to where he was standing, unable to contain the wide grin on her face. “About time, sunbaenim,” she teased, lightly punching his arm.

“Sorry it took me so long. Also, stop calling me that. You're making me feel old.” His girlfriend stuck out her tongue in protest. Classic Taeyeon. Before going out he pecked her forehead, and in return she offered him the most genuine smile she can muster. They exited the building side by side, arms tightly clutching his waist, another arm wrapped around her shoulder.

 

They paid no attention to the shocked stares and flashing lights directed their way. They’ll worry about that tomorrow.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Won't tell anybody that you turn the world around
I won't tell anybody that your voice is my favorite sound
I won't tell anybody, won't tell anybody
They wanna see us fall, they wanna see us fall down

 

parachute // ingrid michaelson
 

 

a/n: in which they go public aww... also in case no one knew, 'let's not fall in love' was big bang's eight single so there ya go hope u guys didn't get too confused by my weird plot details (questions are welcome tho)

honestly this plot had a messy direction, but I just had to post something for the lovely gtae community :) thank you for reading and any feedback would be nice! another public service announcement: school is killing me so updates might be once or twice a week sorry guys pls be patient with me

 

 

also yes i am aware that bb records their music in a big as heck studio with a big as frick leather couch, but for all intents and purposes let’s just say that gd got his own small studio at yg and he's too lazy to buy a huge couch for himself. alright? alright.