Chapter 7

Kindling the Flames

Despite Youngbae’s prediction of a looming mission, no assignments came for several months. Jiyong was thankful, since it gave them extra time to finish whipping Seunghyun into shape, then a head start on mock missions with Seunghyun as tech backup.

“We need to get you a codename,” Daesung declared after their first mock trial. “We can’t keep calling you Seunghyun over the comms in a real mission.”

“If G-Dragon’s already taken, I’m not sure I want an agent name,” Seunghyun quipped, kicking at Jiyong’s shins. “Besides, I could get stuck with something ridiculous, like D-Lite.”

Daesung staggered back dramatically. “My honor is gravely wounded, good sir, I must challenge you to a duel to the death to right this horrible wrong.”

“Bring it on, -Lite.”

While they were scuffling, Seungri piped up. “How about Tempo? That was pretty much your old codename, right?”

“Do you ever think before you speak?” Jiyong sighed. “Too many people know Tempo as the underground freelance hacker. It could cause a massive scandal if we work on something domestic and the name gets out, then Seunghyun’s cover will be totally blown.”

Seunghyun shrugged. “It’s not like anyone knows the man behind Tempo. If it does get out we could probably spin it as a PR stunt, reforming former criminals and all that.”

“Why do none of you get that we are a covert operations group. Meaning we do things in secret,” Jiyong said, pinching the bridge of his nose in aggravation.

“You’re such a hypocrite Ji, with your neon ing head,” Seunghyun grinned, ruffling Jiyong’s bright orange hair.

“I wear a helmet, Jesus Christ,” Jiyong said exasperatedly, grabbing Seunghyun’s hands and removing them from his hair. He laced their fingers to prevent Seunghyun’s hands from wandering, noting the contrast between their nails. His own were short and bitten off, whereas Seunghyun’s looked practically manicured. Not the best at everything apparently, his own voice said snidely in the back of his head. Well, Seunghyun had to beat him at something, he supposed-

“T.O.P.”

“That’s stupid as ,” Seunghyun laughed, nails digging playfully into the back of Jiyong’s hand.

“Wow rude Seunghyunnie, don’t you want to be the best at something?”

“And take your spot? I’d rather marry Seungri.”

Seungri pouted, muttering “rude” under his breath.

“Well you were looking to poach my name earlier if I remember correctly, so I thought I’d be kind in allowing you to have a name that should describe myself, but if you really are so opposed to it-”

“You’re such a , Jiyong, I’ll take the stupid name before you hoard it for yourself,” Seunghyun said, rolling his eyes.

“Well, G-Dragon the T.O.P does have a nice ring to it…” Jiyong teased as Seunghyun dug an elbow into his ribs.

Youngbae watched their interaction carefully, shooting a sly grin at Jiyong.

“Welcome to the team, Agent T.O.P,” he said, clapping Seunghyun on the shoulder. “I think we’re ready for our first mission, don’t you?”


 The first mission was a capture of an escaped prisoner. There were all manners of traps and security measures guarding the building where the prisoner was rumored to be staying, and Jiyong couldn’t help but think that this mission was a test for Seunghyun. In terms of action their target was low-level, but the levels of security they were guided through made all of them fervently thankful that they were no longer running tech backup. Seunghyun, of course, did fine.

“Was that supposed to be hard, or something?” he quipped when they got back, escapee in tow. Despite Seunghyun’s nonchalance, Jiyong could see the sweat beaded on his forehead and the slight tremor in his hands. Jiyong rolled his eyes at him, and Daesung gave him a congratulatory punch on the shoulder.

“This calls for a celebration,” Seungri announced. “T.O.P-hyung can cook!”

“Wow, its hyung when you want something out of me, huh?” Seunghyun quipped, swatting the back of Seungri’s head. “What makes you think I can cook anyways?”

“The rest of us grew up training to be assassins and spies,” Seungri stated matter-of-factly. “You’re the only one out of us who has real world experience of feeding themselves.”

“I’m pretty sure Seunghyunnie fed himself exclusively with contraband donuts,” Jiyong chuckled, waggling his eyebrows at Seunghyun.

“You are the rudest person I have ever met,” Seunghyun sniffed haughtily. “What would all the intelligence community do if they knew the great Dragon was actually a rude little baby?”

Jiyong squawked in protest as Seunghyun accepted high-fives from both Daesung and Youngbae, the traitors.    

Seunghyun did end up cooking, and Jiyong stole some donuts from the cafeteria, just to be a . Well, that’s what he told himself, pointedly not watching Seunghyun’s blissful expression as he ate them. Only when Seunghyun start taunting Seungri, holding the last donut far out of his reach (and conveniently right next to Jiyong’s face) did Jiyong look up, biting the donut out of Seunghyun’s hand, lips brushing his fingertips.

He was met with Seunghyun’s shocked, betrayed stare, coupled with a scandalized “Jiyong that was mine,” but all he could think about was the way Seunghyun’s ears pinkened and how much he wanted to bite-wait nononononono. And the realization came crashing down on Jiyong all at once, as he mustered up a crafty smile, which, admittedly looked weak reflected in Seunghyun’s dark eyes. Then, Seunghyun rolled his eyes and smiled affectionately, and Jiyong’s heart clenched. Somehow, unbeknownst to himself, he had fallen in love with Choi Seunghyun.