Chapter 1

Kindling the Flames

Kwon Jiyong was a prodigy. He utilized his slight frame and light steps to make him the perfect candidate for stealth operations, and honed the power hidden in his corded muscles to overpower attackers three times his size. By the tender age of eighteen, his kill count rivaled that of veteran assassins, and whispers of “The Dragon” sent shivers up the spine of even the most battle hardened agent. Little did the international intelligence community that the boy of their nightmares hadn’t even finished his training yet.

Thus, Kwon Jiyong was SM’s golden boy, and there was little doubt at the official agent inductions that he would be promoted to an official solo operative, presented with his pick of the choicest assignments, with freedom and power second only to Lee Sooman, director of the SM command chain.

Therefore, it came as a shock to the everyone when Lee Sooman announced that the newly christened G-Dragon would be leading and training a new special ops task force. His words reverberated through the deathly silence that filled the assembly hall. Then the whispers started up, and everyone studiously avoided looking at Jiyong, whose murderous aura chilled the room by several degrees.

After the assembly dismissed, the other members of Big Bang hastily dove out of Jiyong’s path as he stormed after the director. Only Youngbae, one of Jiyong’s few friends and go-to backup during their rookie years, gave him a conciliatory pat on the back before retreating to a safe distance to watch his friend slam open Lee Sooman’s office door.

“What the hell,” Jiyong snarled, planting his hands on the desk and leaning over to glare at his superior, “was that?”

Lee Sooman assumed a rather put-upon look, removing his spectacles to pinch the bridge of his nose.

“Please, Jiyong, have a seat before you give yourself an aneurysm,” he sighed, waving Jiyong into a chair. “Agent, you have been invaluable to this institution as a solo operative during your training. You have proved time and time again that you can handle yourself in solitary operations. Unfortunately, due to the individualized focus on deploying you in these past several years, we sadly neglected other parts of your training. Namely, you have never demonstrated to us your ability to work cohesively in a team.”

Jiyong opened his mouth to protest, but Lee Sooman cut him off quickly.

“Please do not try to bring up that debacle with DBSK. Tying up your allies at the base and leaving by yourself to complete the mission does not constitute in any way, shape, or form ‘working cohesively.’”

Jiyong glared at his supervisor petulantly, then asked with sickening sweetness, “Why then, after seeing my success as a solo agent and, ah, tarnished track record playing with others would you try to foist me into another group?”

Lee Sooman let out another long-suffering sigh.

“Jiyong, you may be a stellar solo agent, but believe it or not, you are not the only stellar solo agent SM has access to-” Jiyong scoffed “-but what we lack is a cohesive group unit, small packs that can accomplish more work than the efforts of a single person. As one of our best agents, I believe you have a lot of potential to lead the next generation.”

Jiyong did not look mollified in the slightest. Lee Sooman rolled his eyes and continued.

“Simply put, my boy, I am getting on in years, and the agency is expanding. I cannot be everywhere at every time, and I need someone, both with personal fortitude and the bearings of a leader to help me shoulder the burden. At this point I believe you have the most potential for this role.”

During this little speech, Jiyong’s expression morphed from mulish to shocked, then settled for satisfied contrition.

“I see,” Jiyong said, rising to bow. “Thank you for this opportunity, sir.”

Lee Sooman snorted.

“Nothing is set in stone yet,” he warned. “Don’t disappoint me.”

“Of course, sir,” Jiyong said smugly.

Lee Sooman rolled his eyes fondly and smiled.

“Make me proud, Jiyong. Now get out of my office.”