the second chapter

Falling in Love

Soonyoung runs as fast as his legs will allow him. He screams as loud as his voice will go. "Junhui!" He screeches. A loud crashing sound is heard and Junhui comes running out of his bedroom.

"What is it?" Junhui asks, panicked. "Who died? You died? I died? We're all dead?"

"Nobody died," Soonyoung assures. "Yet," he adds as an afterthought. This brings serious confusion to his housemate's face. "There's a giant spider in the kitchen!"

Junhui pales. "And what do you expect me to do about that?"

"Kill it!"

"What? M-me? Kill? Spider?" Junhui stutters, trying to think of something that'll get him out of taking on that daunting task. "I-" Junhui takes off. He sprints out of their apartment and down the three flights of steps to get to the main entrance. Soonyoung follows closely behind; if Junhui is leaving so is he.

"Why don't you call Hansol or something?" Soonyoung calls. Junhui slows down a bit, and while trying to turn a corner he trips and falls. Soonyoung stops to make sure his friend is okay.

"Hansol isn't like that," Junhui mutters. "I can't call him and ask him to kill a spider for us. He wouldn't do that."

Soonyoung's face softens and he sits down next to Junhui on the floor. "Should we add that to the list of Soonyoung's bad ideas?" Junhui nods. "Alright," Soonyoung laughs. "Maybe we could call Jihoon."

Junhui shakes his head quickly. "He'd kill us before he'd kill the spider," Junhui sighs. "Maybe we should just grow up and kill it ourselves."

"You say that but you haven't actually seen the spider," Soonyoung shudders. "It's huge! And scary."

"Noted." Junhui pulls out his phone from his pocket and looks through his contacts. "Oh! You know who might kill it for us? Jisoo."

"True!" Soonyoung exclaims. "He's a very caring person. He'd do it, right?"

Junhui nods. "I'll call him." He taps on Jisoo's contact and presses the call button. Putting the phone to his ear, Junhui waits patiently for Jisoo to answer, letting Soonyoung rest his head on his shoulder. After a few more seconds of waiting Jisoo picks up.

"Hello?"

Junhui smiles, "hey. Can I ask you a favor?"

"Sure."

"Great!" Soonyoung perks up when Junhui says that. "Soonyoung and I have this problem."

"Did you get stuck in the refrigerator again?"

"That was a one time thing," Junhui says defensively, turning red at the memory. "Actually, our problem is a lot smaller in size but it's a lot scarier."

Junhui can hear Jisoo gasp on the other end. "Did your puppy get stuck in the refrigerator?"

"We don't even have a puppy," Junhui comments. Soonyoung looks at him with confusion plastered on his face.

"Then who got stuck in the refrigerator?"

"Nobody!" Junhui exclaimed. "No refrigerator!" Soonyoung nods in understanding; that darn refrigerator accident! "I called because there's a giant spider in our house and we're too scared to get rid of it ourselves," Junhui explains. "We thought you might be able to help, I don't know, kill it or something."

"You know I would love to come gently remove this spider from your house, but I can't. I'm hanging out with a few friends and I'm not going to just leave them. Sorry Junhui."

"No Jisoo please!" Junhui says quickly. "You can bring them; they can help! I'm not going back in there until that spider is gone. You are our only hope. Soonyoung is nodding beside me, he agrees! We need you, Jisoo."

"You sure? I guess you guys are truly terrified. I should've known. Alright, I'll be there. Give me twenty."

"Thank you so much!" Junhui grins. Jisoo doesn't respond; he just ends the call. Junhui removes his phone from his ear and turns back to Soonyoung. "He's gonna help us!"

"Yes!" Soonyoung stands up and does his signature happy dance.

"But he's bringing a couple friends," Junhui adds. "I don't know who, but maybe they'll help."

"I hope so. That spider was scary."

Junhui still hasn't seen the spider, so he doesn't know if Soonyoung's description is accurate in any way. But he trusts his friend. "We should go back and wait for them," Junhui suggests. "We don't have to go back in, but we should probably get out of the lobby."

"Oh yes," Soonyoung states. "Good idea. Very smart."

With that, the two scaredy cats begin the journey back upstairs; this time taking the elevator. When they arrive outside of their apartment they take a seat on the floor. To pass the time they play a few rounds of rock paper scissors, but that quickly grows boring. So instead they find a game on Junhui's phone and take turns playing that.

After a few minutes of Minion Rush (in which Soonyoung expressed his utmost hatred for the yellow overall wearing blobs), Jisoo shows up, flanked by two other people. Junhui recognizes one of them and his heart begins to speed up. This is not good.

"So where's this spider?" Jisoo asks, clearly not noticing Junhui's mental breakdown. Soonyoung notices though, and he gives Junhui a look that can only mean 'you okay?' Junhui nods at his friend, and the two stand up to greet their guests.

"Inside," Soonyoung says, answering Jisoo. "Who's this?" He points to Jisoo's friends.

"Oh yeah," Jisoo laughs. "That's Seugkwan," he points to the one on his left, "and that's Hansol," he points to the one on his right. "But I think you guys know Hansol already." Junhui nods stiffly, forcing a smile. Hansol waves in his general direction, a genuine smile gracing his lips. Junhui almost feels bad. Almost.

Soonyoung gestures for everybody to follow him inside, however when he gets the chance, he pushes Jisoo in front of him. Leading the group to the kitchen, Soonyoung rants about how big and scary the spider was. "It was so big! You won't be able to miss it, trust me."

Jisoo takes that into consideration as he enters the small kitchen. Taking a fighting stance, he stalks through the room, looking for the offending beast. Soonyoung and Junhui stay in the hallway, watching with wide eyes. A few seconds later Seungkwan comes out and stands with them.

"I'm not a huge fan of spiders," he says. "They can handle this. Can't they?"

"I believe in Jisoo," Soonyoung states. "He can do this."

"Hansol is a baby," Seungkwan scoffs. "He'll be out here with us in no time." Junhui flinches; he hopes that Seungkwan is wrong. Because there is no way he'll be able to stand here with Hansol.

Suddenly, the three wimps hear a multitude of screams coming from the kitchen, along with the sound of pots and pans hitting the floor. With frantic footsteps, the two not so brave souls come running out of the kitchen, tripping over each other's feet on the way.

"That's no spider," Jisoo says, out of breath. "That's a monster!" Hansol nods frantically.

"I've never been more scared," he adds quickly. "My life flashed before my eyes."

"How did that get in here?"

Soonyoung shrugs. "I wish I knew. But how do we get rid of it?"

"We could always call Jihoon," Junhui suggests.

"No!" Soonyoung exclaims. "You said it yourself Junhui. He'd kill us before he'd kill the spider."

"Who's Jihoon?" Jisoo questions. "He sounds scary."

"He is scary," Soonyoung mutters. "But seriously. How are we going to get rid of this damn bug? I have dance practice soon, and I can't leave without my phone."

"You dance?" Seungkwan asks incredulously.

"He doesn't dance," Junhui laughs. "He flails his arms and legs to music and claims he's the best around." Soonyoung kicks Junhui in response. Everybody laughs at that.

"Yes, I do dance," Soonyoung says. "And I'm much better than Junhui, so I'm not sure what he's talking about."

"That's cool," Seungkwan smiles. It's a nice look on him, his mouth wide open showing all of his teeth; Soonyoung can't help but smile back. "I don't want you to be late." Seungkwan walks towards the entrance to the kitchen. "I'll go kill that spider."

They all gasp. "Are you sure?" Hansol asks. "It's terrifying."

"Everything is terrifying to you, Hansol," Seungkwan remarks.

"It's terrifying," Jisoo repeats, confirming Hansol's statement.

"I'll keep that in mind while I'm brutally murdering it."

"I bet you can't," Hansol says before Seungkwan walks in.

"And if I can," Seungkwan thinks for a few seconds, "you buy me lunch."

"Deal."

Seungkwan smirks, stepping into the kitchen, sealing his fate. There's no backing out now. Not when free lunch is on the line. After a few seconds of searching, he finds the spider; it would be pretty hard not to miss it. They were right. It's huge and terrifying. But Seungkwan isn't walking out of this room unless the spider is lying there, lifeless, one of its last thoughts being 'why did I decide to enter this room?' He can do this.

Looking around, he spots a broom in the far corner of the room. He quickly makes his way over to it, picking it up and pointing it at the spider. "Any last words?" He whispers. Spiders can't talk and he knows that. But it seemed to fit the mood, so he said it. Shakily, he holds the broom above the spider and slams it down, right on the poor spider's back, once. Twice. Again and again. He beats the spider - that must already be dead - with the broom, while screaming and chanting the word 'die' over and over again.

"Seungkwan!" Jisoo yells, ripping the broom from his hands. "It's dead. Seungkwan, it's dead."

Seungkwan pants, leaning over. "Is it?" He looks on the counter at the maimed spider. "It is."

"Yeah," Jisoo mumbles, putting the broom away.

Soonyoung runs in and grabs his phone, refusing to look at the dead spider. "Thank you Seungkwan," he says. "Now I have to go or I'll be late. You're welcome to stay, unless Junhui kicks you guys out."

They all turn to Junhui expectantly. "S-stay," he stutters. "It's not like I had any plans or anything."

"I would hate to intrude," Jisoo says.

Junhui shakes his head. "No seriously, it's fine. I wasn't going to do anything other than sit here bored. Your company is a blessing."

"Great! Well I'll see you guys later," Soonyoung grins and leaves the apartment.

The four men work to clean up the kitchen and dispose of the spider corpse. And, already pretty bored, they decide to play board games to pass the time. Jisoo and Junhui venture to the closet in the living room to find a suitable game to play.

"You didn't tell me Hansol was with you," Junhui says quietly, when he's sure the person mentioned wouldn't hear.

"I told you I was with a couple friends," Jisoo replies, digging through the mess of boxes.

"Yeah but you could've told me Hansol was one of them."

"Look, I'm sorry Junhui. Whatever is going on between you two, you guys need to work it out. I don't want to be in the middle of it, and I'm sure Soonyoung feels the same way."

Junhui tries to come up with something to say. Something that will prove Jisoo wrong, or at least something that will take the heat off of him. But he can't. So instead he settles for, "let's play The Game of Life, shall we?" Without waiting for an answer, Junhui reaches for the box and walks away to join Seungkwan and Hansol at the kitchen table. Jisoo sighs before closing the closet door and slowly making his way to the table to play.