the first chapter

Falling in Love

"We're soulmates?!"

Jeonghan can't answer right away; he's just as shocked as Seungcheol. After a few deep breaths, Jeonghan speaks up. "I think the real question is, you love me?"

"You love me too," Seungcheol responds defensively. "This would be a lot more awkward if only one confetti cannon went off. But they both did. Which means that this feeling, love, is mutual." Seungcheol goes silent for a few seconds. Jeonghan has known him long enough to know when he's actually done talking; and he isn't yet. "Yes I do love you. But what matters is that you love me too."

Now he's done. "Why did it take us this long to figure it out?" Jeonghan asks. Seungcheol shrugs. "I guess it's okay because we know now," Jeonghan continues. He leans forward and envelops Seungcheol in a hug, the older happily reciprocating.

"I definitely love you," Jeonghan sighs. "I love you a lot." He wants to kiss the man in front of him, but he decides against it. Something about only just finding out they were soulmates. It would seem like they were moving too fast. "And you know what?"

"What?" Seungcheol questions.

"Better to find out late than never," Jeonghan smiles. "We should document this and show all of our friends!"

"No we shouldn't," Seungcheol says, shooting the idea down quickly. "No pictures. No videos. We can tell them, but that's all they deserve."

Jeonghan groans. "But I think they deserve more than that. Clearly you disagree with me but - hey Seungcheol, are we going to start having couple fights?"

"Who said we were a couple?" Seungcheol jokes.

Jeonghan responds by pushing him away. "The confetti that just exploded from your chest," he deadpans.

"Of course." Seungcheol tries to lean in for another hug, but Jeonghan keeps shoving him in the opposite direction. "But yeah I guess," Seungcheol states, answering Jeonghan's previous question. "Although I don't think they'll be too different. Considering we fight all the time anyway."

"That's true," Jeonghan agrees. Escaping Seungcheol's desperate attempts at a hug, Jeonghan makes his way over to the coffee table that is now covered in a few pieces of stray confetti. He grabs his phone that had previously been occupying the table and holds it up. "I'm going to text Mingyu and rub it in his face."

Seungcheol pouts, feeling lonely (even though his soulmate happens to be only a few feet away). "But what about me?"

"I'm not leaving or anything," Jeonghan assures, typing away. "I'm still here. Don't worry." After he finishes and sends the message, he makes his way back over to Seungcheol. "Also I invited Mingyu and Jihoon over. So if you don't want them to see the confetti I guess you better start cleaning."

Jeonghan grins evilly while Seungcheol glares at his boyfriend (and wow, that's a new thing to call him). Before Seungcheol can respond, Jeonghan is skipping away, humming a happy tune.

It is about fifteen minutes later when the doorbell rings. And the new couple each go barreling towards the door. It's a habit they got into after awhile of living together. Both are competitive spirits, so they both want to reach the door first. It's a habit that's caused several minor injuries here and there, but they still do it. This time, Jeonghan makes it first. Sticking his tongue out at Seungcheol, he pulls open the door. Not a second later Mingyu and Jihoon are barging in.

"Soulmates, huh?" Jihoon asks, making himself comfortable on the couch.

"What he meant to say was 'hi,'" Mingyu supplies, also sitting on the couch a distance from Jihoon. "It's been years and he still can't give a nice greeting."

Jihoon rolls his eyes. "It's been years and you still expect a nice greeting from me," he argues. "Accept that you're not getting one."

"Never," Mingyu challenges.

Seungcheol can sense a fight coming along, so he stops it before it can get any farther. "Yeah we're soulmates," he says, changing the subject.

"Interesting," Jihoon mutters, ignoring Mingyu. "You missed some confetti on the floor by the way." He points to the few stray pieces that Seungcheol failed to clean up.

"It's cute that you two are soulmates," Mingyu gushes. "Meanwhile I am still very alone," he groans.

Jeonghan walks towards him and places a comforting hand on the younger's shoulder. "I'm sure you'll find someone."

"Why would anyone want Mingyu?" Jihoon laughs. Mingyu aims a swift punch at Jihoon's side and suddenly the atmosphere changes immensely. "Oh you're going to regret that one," Jihoon says, standing up with his hands balled into fists. Mingyu cowers comically and Jeonghan backs away.

"Help me Jeonghan," Mingyu pleads. "He's going to kill me if you don't!"

Jeonghan shakes his head. "You did kind of bring this upon yourself," he points out. "And I don't want to get in the middle that. Maybe Seungcheol," Jeonghan suggests, casting a glance over at his boyfriend.

Seungcheol's eyes widen while trying to think of a response. "Yeah, I think I'm going to leave this one to you," he decides. "Sorry Mingyu."

By now, Jihoon is practically on top of Mingyu with his hands clutching the collar of the taller's shirt. Mingyu attempts to back away as much as possible; but even though he's the larger one of the two, his strength isn't even half of what Jihoon's is.

"Please save me," Mingyu begs. "Somebody! Anybody!" And like a miracle, the doorbell rings again. Mingyu breathes a sigh of relief. Jihoon doesn't move from his spot, however he loosens his hold on Mingyu slightly.

Jeonghan and Seungcheol turn to the door in confusion. Not a second later, they both get up and run towards the door. Seungcheol wins the little race and pulls open the door.

"Hey is, uh, Mingyu here?"

"Yes!" Mingyu screams. "Oh yes!"

"Oh hi Wonwoo," Jeonghan smiles. "Come in. He is here; on the couch with Jihoon."

Wonwoo nods and walks inside slowly, shutting the door behind him. Seungcheol and Jeonghan sit down on the chair in the corner of the room, while Wonwoo stands in front of them awkwardly.

"Get off of him Jihoon," Seungcheol commands. "Wonwoo is here to see him." Jihoon grumbles something under his breath before complying. Mingyu sends a thankful look in Seungcheol's direction. "Beat him up later," Seungcheol smirks. And the panicked look returns to Mingyu's face. Before Jihoon can inflict any pain, Mingyu stands and sprints over to Wonwoo.

"Oh thank you so much," Mingyu pants. He attaches himself onto Wonwoo. "Thank you thank you. He was going to kill me, I swear!" Wonwoo chuckles and rubs his hands on Mingyu's back in a soothing manner. "I love you!" Wonwoo flinches as the words come out of Mingyu's mouth. Jihoon notices, but he doesn't mention it (not yet anyway). He's done enough damage for one day.

"Love you too," Wonwoo mumbles.

"If you don't mind me asking," Jeonghan begins, "why are you here? Do you have a Mingyu danger sensor? Do you appear when he is in trouble?"

"Actually I had a question for him," Wonwoo explains. Mingyu detaches himself and looks at Wonwoo in confusion. "I checked if you were home and Seokmin said you weren't, so I came here," Wonwoo says, more so to Mingyu than anyone else. "You're usually here," he finishes quietly.

"Well you saved me," Mingyu breathes. Wonwoo looks at him and smiles longingly, his eyes screaming for something that Jihoon (always so observant) can't quite place. "What was your question?"

Wonwoo brushes it off. "Never mind. I'll ask you another time. It's not that serious." But it is. And Wonwoo wants so badly to ask Mingyu right now. But he can't.

"Are you sure?" Mingyu asks, gripping Wonwoo's hand.

"Yeah, are you sure?" Jihoon speaks up with an evil glint in his eye. This time Seungcheol is the one to notice things he probably shouldn't.

"Why don't you guys sit down," Seungcheol offers. "Stay awhile Wonwoo."

Wonwoo nods and gets pulled along by Mingyu to the couch. They sit as far from Jihoon as possible on that tiny couch. And for good measure, Wonwoo sits in between Jihoon and Mingyu (just in case).

The group of friends spends the rest of their day watching movies and talking about current events.
Eventually the three guests decide it's time to leave. Waving their goodbyes, they exit the new soulmates' home.

The pair continues watching movies until it gets too late for them to keep their eyes open. Seungcheol begins to retire to his bedroom. "Hey Seungcheol," Jeonghan calls softly. "I love you."

Seungcheol smiles to himself. "I love you more," he replies, impossibly cheesy.