005.

In The Palm Of Her Hand

“So what did you find about that… dream?” Jihyo asks, disrupting the comfortable silence they were in, signing important papers and reviewing profits.
Jungyeon drops her paper, but not her pen. It’s been awhile since she had those, probably five or six days ago.

 

“Something about self-discovery.”

 

Jihyo snorts. “What’s there to discover? We’re twenty eight, Jungyeon. Don’t you think it’s a little far fetched?”

 

“No.” Jungyeon speaks with a stable voice, and the air turns heavy. “No. Because I really am trying to discover something… good, in me.”

 

A dangerous silence hangs on her lips. Her best friend looks hurt.

 

“I- You know what Jungyeon?” Jihyo starts, slamming a paper on her desk. “You- You don’t even-- There’s nothing solid about these dreams! They’re just ing dreams!”

 

“Yes there is!” Jungyeon screams, before realizing that she needs to calm down. “How do you ing explain that- that it’s related to what happens in my life? Right after I started doubting how I live and- and what we did!”

 

Anger bubbles in her veins. Jihyo’s look doesn’t help, filled with fire and something like panic.

 

“Okay,” Jihyo declares with a heavy shrug of the arms. She sounds pressed. “Okay. Fine.”

 

A tight lipped smile. “You’re too good for me now,” Jungyeon opens in a fit of protest but Jihyo doesn’t hear her.

 

“No! That’s not--”

 

“Too good! I get it!” Jihyo laughs, a laugh that Jungyeon hasn’t really seen on her friend, in over a decade.

 

She watches, awestruck, as Jihyo gathers several papers, her computer, and pen. Jihyo’s heels frenetically clack on the ground while she makes her way to the huge doors of the office.

Jungyeon steps forward.

 

“That’s not what I mean Jihyo. You know it.”

 

Jihyo turns around to send her a hard look. “We’re a team, Jungyeon. A- A ing team!”

 

Jungyeon doesn’t understand what she is aiming at. She doesn’t understand why Jihyo is so angered at the fact that she wants to change, because her best friend has always been happy when she tried to be happy.

 

“What the Jihyo?”

 

Jihyo blinks like she just realized something. “Nevermind. Nevermind. See you later.”

 

And with that, her friend, partner, teammate, leaves the room.

___________________________________________________________________________

 

The same girl, in the same white room, is walking on an endless white ocean, on the tip of her toes.

Jungyeon stands on the side, watching her.

She notices that the girl is crying.

 

“What’s wrong?” Her voices echoes to Nayeon’s ears.

 

“He left me,” Comes her voice through cutting sobs. Jungyeon walks to her, on the water and she doesn’t drown. She gets to the girl, wraps her arms around her.

 

“It’s fine.”

 

The girl stops sobbing.

 

“How do you know it’s fine?”

 

Jungyeon doesn’t. “Maybe you don’t need him. Maybe he isn’t the one you need.”

 

Nayeon clutches her white button up. Jungyeon realizes that her hands are dark, but not covered in liquid.

 

“Okay.”

 

Jungyeon lets go of Nayeon. They stand in front of each other, staring at each other. Jungyeon raises a hand to wipe Nayeon’s cheek.

 

“I need to meet you.”

 

Nayeon nods. Jungyeon frowns.

 

“Tell me where to meet you.”

 

Nayeon nods, again. Jungyeon frowns even deeper when Nayeon’s skin turns cold under the tip of her fingers.

 

“Nayeon?” Her voice echoes. She feels a presence behind her. Nayeon isn’t responding again, only looking at what stands behind her.

Jungyeon turns around, but before she can understand what’s behind her, she wakes up.
___________________________________________________________________________

 

Jungyeon concludes that Nayeon is real. Concludes that her dreams are too in-touch with her real life to be a construction of her imagination; concludes that it’s supposedly helping her where she needs help.
She’s starting to think that she’s crazy.


“Am I crazy?” She asks to the mirror in front of her. There’s her face. She thinks of Nayeon’s face.

 

“What the is happening to me…” Jungyeon whispers, washing her face with water again.

She thinks that she might have to get some sleeping pills, maybe then she’ll be able to sleep correctly.

___________________________________________________________________________

 

She doesn’t dream of the girl for a while.

 

“Jihyo,” She calls out for her friend when she steps inside her office. Jihyo looks up from her notebook.

 

“Hm.” Her best friend hums. Jungyeon her dry lips.

 

“We need to talk.”

 

Jihyo settles her eyes on her, something Jungyeon grew to hate whenever they fought.

 

“What is there to talk about?”

 

“Don’t play dumb,” Jungyeon defies. “You’re far from dumb. I want to know why you’re so angry at the fact that--”

 

“I’m not angry, okay?” Jihyo forces a smile. It comes out displeasing. She’s usually way better at those. “I’m just…”

 

Jungyeon remains silent to watch Jihyo’s  imaginary walls crack, and crumble to absolutely nothing.

 

“I’m just lost.” Her best friend whispers. The shadows of the computer fade until it turns dark. Everything is dark, because night time is coming closer and the moon casts rays of subtle light through the bay windows, behind Jihyo’s desk.

 

Etheral.

 

“What do you mean you’re lost?” Jungyeon tentatively asks when Jihyo doesn’t go on.

 

“I mean- We’re always doing everything together, right?”

 

Jungyeon nods.

 

“Even- Even girls we--” Jihyo abruptly stops when Jungyeon winces at the memories. “It’s fine. I’m sorry I… couldn’t admit it. I got angry because of denial.”

 

“That we’re not on the same page anymore?”

 

“Yeah, that.” Jihyo nods. Jungyeon nods. “I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s fine,” Jungyeon shrugs. “I kinda dropped that on you, I should’ve told you about it sooner.”

 

“Yeah,” Jihyo chuckles. It sounds a lot more relaxed, a lot more Jihyo. “I won’t force you to do anything. If- If it makes you happier, then I’m with you.”

 

Jungyeon stares into Jihyo’s eyes. She walks to her desk, sets right beside her friend and hugs her.

 

“You’re a strong little woman.”


Jihyo laughs.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Notes: I think I'll do a double update for this one, because I am pretty busy with school at the moment and it's only gonna get worse lmao