Act 1: Mermaid

Dreams of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The girl walks down the corridor in a steady stride, with no sign of anxiety. Her composure is calm like the sea, her posture like a mermaid. The school bell rings, and she hastens her footsteps, however maintaining her cool.

She finds her way to her classroom and then to her desk, nonchalantly yet gently putting her things down and settling herself down on the chair.

The homeroom teacher walks into the classroom for the morning roll call.

"Hwang Eunbi ssi," the characters spelled on the name tag pinned neatly on her uniform are said out. The girl stands up as a response to her name. She sits down immediately after, returning to her peaceful mode.

She does not talk. She never does.

And like the mermaid in the tale, she has lost her voice, due to a tragic memory. 

 

A day of school passes by, to Eunbi, much like the wind. As usual, she quietly packs up and proceeds to leave.

She lives far away from her school, and a ride on the public bus is always mandatory for her to get home. As such, her destination is always the bus stop once she is out of the school grounds.

After a few buses come and go, the bus that takes her to her home finally arrives. She gets into the bus, goes all the way to the back, and seats herself down on her own spot, right at the corner of the bus. As the second year of high school approaches autumn, Eunbi begins to be tired out by school life and has been getting weary every day after school. She rests her head on the window as she leans over, and soon enough she is fast asleep. 

 

The children were brought to the beach one summer day when ShinB was five. Umji and ShinB were immediately excited by the sound of the waves, even before they had set foot onto the sand.

The two kids kicked their shoes off by the picnic mat and ran straight for the water.

"I'll splash you!" ShinB started being playful as usual. Umji shrieked as water hit her, causing her to almost lose her balance amongst the strong waves.

"I'm sorry Umji, are you okay?" ShinB immediately became concerned, and this made Umji smile.

"I'm okay," she said cheerfully, "let's go collect some seashells!" she suggested, elated.

The two girls then ran back to the shore and started their hunt for seashells.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter