003

What a Man
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

003

 

WHEN YOU agreed to be Sehun’s girlfriend, you knew that you two would have some complications on the way. Besides Sehun’s always growing fan club, you two also had almost completely different personalities and values. But who would have thought that you two would actually click? Who knows, maybe the saying “opposites attract” is actually true.

But since you two were different in so many ways, it was normal that you would fight with each other. Though, one of the traits you both shared was that you hated fighting for a long time and would probably do anything to reconcile with your significant other. 

However, when you two get into a huge fight, both of you are also extremely stubborn to the core. Not to mention you were also extremely prideful and wouldn’t apologize unless you knew deep inside you that you were in the wrong. But dating Sehun somehow changed that fact just a little.

Mentioning this fight would always cause Sehun to be mad and frustrated. Not at you, of course, but at himself, because like he said previously, he ed up big time. And after all those fights, you would always think about this one in particular because it showed you and everybody else that doubted your relationship that you two were still going strong no matter what mishaps and bumps you guys go through.

Sehun wasn’t really someone who got mad easily either. So, when he confronted you, you knew that he was extremely pissed. Unfortunately for the both of you, he misdirected his anger.

“Hey!” you greeted him happily and gave him a small peck on the cheek as you slung yourself over the bleachers. He just finished football practice while you just came out of a meeting. However, he didn’t respond to your greeting nor your kiss, which made you frown.

“Sehun? What’s wrong?”

He didn’t say anything and simply pushed a piece of paper to you. You instantly recognized the manila coloured paper and the school’s logo printed on it, and you knew that it was his report card. You raised an eyebrow but did not say anything as you opened it up to check out his grades.

“Oh,” you said as you saw his grades. They were definitely not bad, but they were not the best either, which surprised you because you knew that Sehun was ranked somewhat highly in school.

“Yeah,” he said bitterly. You found it also weird that he didn’t even give you a look since you got here.

“I’m sure you’ll do better next time,” you tried to make him feel better. You didn’t tell him a lie either. It’s true that Sehun’s capable academically and you believed that he would be able to bring his rank up next time.

“Somehow, that doesn’t make me feel better,” he mumbled. “Must be nice for you to easily get such high marks. You know, being the student council’s President and all.”

You were baffled and were not sure whether you heard him correctly or not.

“Excuse me?” you said incredulously.

He shot you a look. “What? You can’t blame me for saying that! I mean, we’ve gone on dates and all and yet, how the hell are you still able to get perfect marks and rank number one in the whole school?”

You blinked furiously at him and scoffed. “Wait a second here… Are you actually blaming me for your low grades?”

“I don’t see any other explanation here!” he snapped. “You basically just ruined my chances at getting a scholarship for next year’s tuition! So, if you don’t see your boyfriend again, you know it’s whose fault!”

You couldn’t believe your ears. You couldn’t believe the fact that your boyfriend just blamed you for ruining his chances; for ruining his grades; for ruining him. What? Was it not okay for you to get better grades than him?

“We always hang out when it’s convenient for you! I always have to arrange my schedule around yours because you’re always goddamn busy,” he continued his rant. “Why do you always have to be so selfish?”

You just didn’t have any words. You were completely speechless by his behaviour and words. They hurt you so, so much and the worst part was that Sehun, your freaking boyfriend, didn’t even realize that he was actually hurting you so badly.

“You– I– Oh my God,  you, Oh Sehun,” you spat at him. “Don’t blame me for your mistakes. I told you—I ing told you—that you shouldn’t be spending your last week of spring break partying with your friends. Don’t you dare put the blame on me.”

“You were there with me too!”

“Yeah! Only a few times because you invited me! And on the days that I didn’t go with you, guess what I did? I studied. Hell, I even asked you to study with me, but did you even want to?”

Sehun stayed silent, but you could see that he was still mad and wouldn’t budge at all. For God’s sake, he didn’t even look fazed by your words, which was the complete opposite for you. Each and every word of his pierced your heart, and you couldn’t believe that he was acting so indifferently in this situation.

“Since I seem to ruin everything for you, let’s just take a break.”

For a second there, you saw hurt flash his eyes and you thought that maybe, you two would finally be able to have a decent, civilized conversation. But it seemed like you were hoping for too much.

“Fine!” he shouted back at you, his nostrils slightly flaring. “Let’s take a break from each other then!”

“Fine!” you angrily replied and grabbed your stuff before storming away from your boyfriend, or your ex-boyfriend. Truth to be told, you didn’t know and you wanted to say that you didn’t care, but that was so far from the truth.

Because you did care, but it looked like Sehun didn’t care as much as you did.

And you didn’t know what actually hurted more.

YOU SIGHED TIREDLY AS you plopped yourself down in your seat. News traveled fast in your university. Just when you thought you would be able to get away from all those immature people when you graduated from college; university was still, unfortunately, the same.

Kyungsoo shot you a worried look; it was rare for him to see you so hollow-looking. You were free from all the students’ staring during the weekend, but as soon as you got to school, everybody wasn’t too subtle as they sent you looks.

“You okay?” he asked as he settled next to you and fidgeted as he noticed the stares. 

“Yeah,” you replied. “Why? Does it look like I’m not okay? I’m fine! I’m perfectly fine.”

He grabbed you by the shoulders and said your name while your eyes travelled back and forth. “Breathe, okay? Breathe.”

You nodded at his words and tried to look as if you were calm. You didn’t want anybody else to worry about something so trivial. You especially didn’t want to look like as if the break-up affected you. As a matter of fact, you purposely came earlier than usual (meaning arriving earlier than Sehun) to show him that you were actually better off without him.

Judging by the commotion and the sound of girls silently squealing, you knew that Sehun got to class. You let out a groan, not loud enough for your classmates to hear, and rested your head on your desk. You were not nearly awake enough to deal with this. You swore you can already hear the girls asking Sehun whether you two actually broken up or not.

Fortunately for you, the teacher finally came in, which meant that class was about to start. Unfortunately, Sehun decided to take the seat behind yours and Kyungsoo. Now that was something you were definitely not awake enough to deal with. You subtly took out your phone and sent a text message subtly, before putting your phone back into your bag before your teacher noticed it.

“Alright class,” the teacher said. “Today we are finally going to start reading Shakespeare. Pair up in teams of two first, and then I’ll start talking about what are we going to do.”

“You’re with me,” you said to Kyungsoo, not letting him or anybody else chooses. You didn’t want to pair up with anybody else either. You simply didn’t trust your classmates enough and you didn’t want your GPA to hurt either.

Obviously, every girl in the class went to flock around Sehun. You would have probably asked him as well if you two were still together of course. But you wouldn’t want to ditch your best friend either. Then again, you were sure that Sehun would probably ask a guy instead because he knew how jealous you could get.

After pairing up, the teacher went back to explaining the project. Although it was a rather simple project, it still required a lot of work and you were grateful that Kyungsoo was your partner. Following the explanation, the teacher went back to teaching and started the class with Shakespeare’s biography. As much as you appreciated the English poet, you just desperately wanted to get out of the classroom. You just felt completely suffocated.

A knock was heard and you muttered a small “finally” under your breath, causing your best friend and Sehun to raise their eyebrows at your words. You were not the most subtle person in the world, and of course, the two people who knew you the best obviously knew that fact as well. You did not even bother waiting for the person to finish talking when you already started packing up and you told Kyungsoo to do the same. He was confused, of course, but when he saw how distraught you were, he did not ask any questions and did as he was told.

“Ah, Junmyeon,” the teacher said, somehow glad to see him. “Is there something wrong?”

“Oh, no, Professor,” he replied smoothly. “I just need our dear student council’s President and VP for an emergency meeting. I hope you don’t mind.”

The professor shook his head. “Of course not.” He then motioned you and Kyungsoo to follow Junmyeon.

As you got up from your seat with Kyungsoo, you could have sworn that Sehun had said something under his breath. But you didn’t care anymore. You gave up on caring for him. You thought a lot about it and you still thought that you were right. You have done nothing wrong and it was not your fault that Sehun had gotten bad grades last semester. If he wanted to blame someone, he could only blame it on himself.

You were done with him.

You quickly finished packing your stuff while Kyungsoo was waiting for you to be done, and left the classroom without giving a second look to Sehun. Even though you were determined to not care about what your ex-boyfriend thought anymore, you couldn’t help but steal a look over your shoulder as you left the class. However, he didn’t even spare a single glance over to you. The worst part was that he actually turned around to his seat partner and flirted with that girl without any hint of guilt on his face.

You let out a tired sigh in response as you followed your fellow council members. 

“So,” Joonmyeon said. “What’s with the emergency text message that you’ve sent me?”

You shrugged nonchalantly. “I just needed an excuse to get out of that class. And I thought it wouldn’t make sense if I were the only one that gets to leave without someone picking me up.”

Kyungsoo shook his head. “You really have to stop abusing your power,” he said and then added quickly, “You do realize that you’re making me miss a whole three-hour long class, right?”

You smiled apologetically at your two friends. “You can go back whenever you want. I’m skipping the rest of the day. I’m too mentally drained to deal with this bull and drama circulating around school.” You then them with two fingers as you went towards the council’s meeting room, where you know you will definitely not be disturbed and of course, will not be seeing your ex’s face.

While you were in the council’s room, you decided to finish up some paperwork and homework so that it wouldn’t look like as if you were doing nothing. And besides, you would rather finish the paperwork now so that you wouldn’t end up with a huge pile by the end of the week. Not to mention to also satisfy your dean who was always persistent about getting that paperwork done at least a week before the deadline. You then grabbed your stuff and worked diligently until you heard loud noises just outside.

Curious, you left your work and went to the windows to see what was actually going on. Then you saw the whole football team streaming towards the football field for their daily practice. You almost slapped your head at your own forgetfulness. How could you possibly forget that every football practice was at around this time of the day?

Instinctively, your eyes searched around for Sehun. And somehow, your eyes met. You didn’t turn away from him. Maybe because you just wanted to see him more, even after your breakup. But in his eyes, you couldn’t see any of his emotions. They looked like as if they were void of them. So, with a sigh, you turned away from the window and went back to your work.

YOU LET OUT A FEW CURSES as you ran out of school. You suddenly fell asleep while working on your homework and essays after finishing the paperwork, and just shoved them to Kyungsoo when he entered the council’s room. Even though you didn’t attend class, you were so busy that you barely had time to eat and all you’ve had is coffee. You mentally thanked whoever discovered coffee beans and created coffee. However, as you went out, you accidentally bumped into the football players who seemed to have just finished their practice, and some of them were accompanied by some flag-football girls.

You didn’t have anything against the girls. If anything, both teams respected each other enough to not kill each other in the girls’ locker room. But apparently, not enough since one of them was literally latching onto Sehun’s arms and even dared to shove her non-existent s to his arm. Yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter