Prologue

Fair Play

PROLOGUE

Victoria sat tautly at the plane seats, elbows on the armrest and palm on her face. She looked out at the window and stared at the Seoul cityscape just a hundred miles below her. It’s been almost half a decade since she last came to the place where she called home and in about a few of minutes from now she would be walking out of Incheon International Airport and be welcomed with hugs and kisses  by her closest friends.

“Ladies and gentlemen, please fasten your seatbelts and place the backrests in upright position as we will be landing momentarily in Seoul.” As the subtle announcement was made, Victoria quickly buckled up and grew excited of the thought that the plane was finally landing.

Victoria yanked her red suitcase and walked out of the crowded baggage claim. As she made her way out of the exit, she saw a petite brunette embraced by a well-built man and a guy about six foot tall with a couple of brown hair sticking out of its place and judging from his three-piece suit, rushed out of his office to  fetch her. The latter quickly held out his hands for a hug and she smiled at his gesture as she quickly leaped in to his arms.

“You’ve been crying, tears from missing your lover?”

Victoria’s head swiftly moved up and met the mocking brown orbs of Nichkhun Buck Horvejkul. She scowled at him and smacked his chest, earning a laugh from the man.

“What do you mean lover? Are you in delusion now?” She fired back, squirming out of the tight hug they shared and taking notice of the couple behind the towering man.

Ignoring the protest from Nichkhun, Victoria beamed delightfully at the pregnant woman and her husband. “Jess!” She exclaimed and ran up to her, enveloping the shorter girl in a tight embrace.

“I miss you so much! How have you been? When’s the due date? Promise me that I’ll be the godmother.”

“Slow your horses, Vic. Jessica can’t process all that.” Taecyeon said while patting his hands on Victoria’s shoulder.

Jessica ignored the comment. “I miss you too. I’ve been fine. I’ll be due in about two months from now. And yes, you’ll be the godmother” she said, her smile never faltering.

“Are you sure about that, Jess? Victoria can’t even take care of herself much less a baby.” Nichkhun said as he poked Victoria’s sides which earned another scowl from her.

“You guys haven’t seen each other for three years and yet once the two of you do see each other, you start bantering! Things never change, huh?”  Taecyeon said, amused.

The two in question let out a synchronous laugh. It was the truth. Even after all the years they haven’t seen each other, they were still fighting and at each other’s throat. Commonly, people would start to get awkward but the two we’re still the same. As if things didn’t change. As if she wasn’t away at all.

“Yeah, you could say it like that. So how was this idiotic nemesis-slash-best friend of mine while I was away?” Victoria asked as she pointed a thumb at Nichkhun.

“Idiotic as usual.” Jessica replied, giving a teasing look.

“Hey, I’ve been better than that.”

“Better as in sleeping around?” Taecyeon said, wiggling his brows.

“Okay, gross. As much as I would love to catch up with you guys, I would really love to hit the covers right now.” Victoria stated as she suppressed a yawn.

“Yeah, we better go too. I’m feeling kind of dizzy. You have to tell me more about China next time, okay?” Jessica said which Victoria replied with a nod of excitement despite her weary state.

“See you two in the morning!” Taecyeon said while guiding his wife towards their car.

As the car sped away, Victoria turned towards Nichkhun and gave him a blow on his left arm which in return received a confusing look from the poor guy.

“What did the arm do to you?” he asked.

“The fist just missed how it feels to hit you again, Horvejkul.” she replied, a cheeky smile on her curved lips.