Second Chance

City of Possibilities

Ji was beyond excited. She had a place to stay where the rent was cheap and the utilities were free. She was living the dream. Ji walks out of the room and sees that Ron is sitting at the desk facing the window. The flat started at the door on the top of the stairway. It opened up to a hallway. The hallway lead to a kitchen on the right and the family room area at the end of the hallway. The kitchen was an open kitchen so it also opened up to the living room area. it had chrome appliances and an island. The living room area had a couch that was parallel to the wall on the right and a dining room table. There wasn't a TV, but instead in front of the couch was the bedroom. You can close the door (which, i say door, but it's more like a foldable window). There were curtains though so ...for privacy I guess. on the far side of the wall, there was a table that faced the window that looked out to the city. Ji could see why he put his table there. In the bedroom, the bed is on the left side against two sides of the wall. There is a closet that is huge, and a bathroom connected to the closet and bedroom. The bedroom had a small patio with a table and two chairs that looked out to the city as well. Ji never wanted to close the curtains to this view. In the same hallway that lead to the restaurant stairwell, there was another set of stair that lead to the roof. Ji did not know about it...yet. 

Ji left the flat quickly so Ron could get his work done. Little did she know that he wasn't working but was listening to see when she left. As soon as she closed the door and he heard the door lock he relaxed...Ron was handsome, but he wasn't always like this. He was always bullied as a child for being scrawny and for wearing clothes that were too big for him. He grew up in a poor area, and even in that poor area, his family was considered poor.

Ron attended school until high school. Freshman year of high school is when he suddenly hit his growth spurt. He shot up to 6 feet, but now his clothes were too small. Although he was still known as the poor kid, he was able to make friends. Until one day, a cheerleader that the football quarterback was interested in, showed her interest to Ron. Ron was shy, but happy and willing to open himself up to her. He worked two jobs while attending school, and normally he would give all his money to his family, but now he was taking some for himself so he could buy his girlfriend whatever he wanted. His association with the cheerleader raised his credibility and he was suddenly being invited to things. He was at a party where the quarterback was at. The quarterback roofied him, made it look like he cheated on the cheerleader, took pictures, and spread it around school. He was shunned after that. He didn't know how to tell the cheerleader that it wasn't his fault...he couldn't talk to her. From then on he couldn't be comfortable around women, which made it seem like he just hated them. He just wanted to get out of school, and find people he could relate to in college. He applied to ten colleges and 100's of scholarships and was accepted into all ten colleges, but the scholarships that were available were not enough.  He realized that his grades wasn't enough to get him a full scholarship. However, he still wanted to attend college so he picked the school with the least amount he would have to pay which was 100 dollars a semester, and accepted. The college was ecstatic. It was a good college, but it wasn't exactly revered.

He went home that day to tell his parents that he was going to attend Duluth State University, but when he got home it was in shambles. Their furniture was missing and the house was overturned. He ran to his mom who was weeping on the floor and helped her onto one of the chairs that  was  left. He asked her with panic in his voice, "Mom, what happened? Are you okay? where's dad?" His mom, in between sobs, answered, "Your dad was dragged away by the mafia. He borrowed money from them and wasn't able to pay them back. They took all our things." Ron hugged her and held back his tears, "Ma, where is Tito?" Tito was his little brother. Their aunt took him to her house for the time being. Ron knew that he would not be able to attend college, so he threw away his acceptance and started to clean the house. He decided that he needed to find a job, so he found one at a autoshop. The autoshop were long hours and laborous, but he enjoyed making something with his hands. He liked to create. One day, the entire team decided to go out an treat themselves. That quarter, the company was able to increase sales by 97%. The boss took them out to a really nice restaurant. The staff at the restaurant were weary since the group was covered in grease and were still wearing their mechanic's uniforms, but they ordered a lot of food and booze so they knew the tips would be decent.

This was the first time Ron could remember eating something so delicious that his entire body cried out. He looked up to heaven and praised the Lord. He knew that from that day, he would do everything he can to recreate this meal. If he wanted to, he had to savor every bite and really remember the flavor, so he did. For the next year, he worked at the auto shop and at night would go home and try to recreate the steak. He spent months learning how to grill the steak to be tender, then he started to work on the side dishes. He perfected it in 9 months. Lastly, the sauce that tied everything together. His family was happy for being able to eat steak at first, but now they were sick of it. They would take the steaks to their neighbors and to the homeless, but Ron didnt give up. One night he made the sauce and ...perfection. He poured it onto the dish and yelled for his family. They came and immediately started to make plans on who they wanted to give these steaks to. Ron sat them down, forcefully, "not this time. This time...it's perfect. Seriously...try it, but you guys have to try it all together. One bite." THe family all looked at one another and really didn't want to, but for Ron...the guy who supported the family and brought them all together and now is paying for tito's college..it's the least they can do...so they did as he instructed and ....his mom dropped her fork onto the plate. Ron rushed to her, "Ma, you okay?" The mother smiled with tears in her eyes and grabbed his face, "My life, this is the most delicious thing i have ever eaten in my life." His entire family agreed. Ron took leftovers and brought it to work the next day. His coworkers took a bite and were shocked. Big Ben, "yo...this has to be takeout from that restaurant. It tastes exactly the same." Little Chin, "Naw, that place don't do takeout." Ron had never been prouder, but that feeling quickly faded. Sure, the guys would ask him to cook for them often and they would tease, but that dish....wasn't his own. Ron was a creator and he wanted to create. The next day, he quit the autoshop to pursue culinary arts. They all laughed at him, but he didn't care. This was what he wanted and that brings us to the Ron we have today. The abrasive, stiff, perfectionist Chef Ron of the 4 star restaurant, Roti (Ron+Tito). 

this is why Ron was so harsh to the women in his restaurant. He was hurt a long time ago by a woman he loved, and was betrayed. He though that they had trust in one another, but she turned her back so quickly. The cheerleader, Lola, would always have a place in Ron's heart as a scar. Who knows if anyone will be able to fix it. Ron went to where Tiger was lounging and pet him, "How come something as handsome as you is with someone as weird as Ji?" 

Ji went to the back of the kitchen and locked the door to make it seem like she was locked out. Chef Rose came and opened the door for them. The day began. The relationship between Jim and Ji was noticeably different to everyone. The rumors of them having hooked up started to spread. By the end of the day, everyone believed it. Ji heard it, and was asked by a lot of her peers if she did, which she simply answered, "No." Of course they didn't believe her, but if they didn't...there was nothing she could do. Ron was upstairs and would smell the smells coming from his kitchen. This motivated him harder to work on what he had to do. Suddenly he hears voices coming close to where the flat was. Two waitresses were in the stairwell. Ron went to the door and put his ear against the door to hear what they were saying. 

Cher: So...apparently..Jim and Ji hooked up. Joyce looked at her with disbelief, "That minx....so that's why they're so chummy with one another, huh? I swear if she starts to get treated better, I'll sue." Ron shook his head but listened on. Cher continued, "Yea, but that liar keeps telling people 'no' when they ask if they hooked up. I mean...might as well tell the truth." Joyce laughed, "Seriously, and why does she have to say it with that face...you know the really serious....like you're bothering me face?" Cher nodded in agreement, "Totally...well anyways...that's what everybody is talking about." They left the stairwell and Ron went back to his table...great...his restaurant is the number one gossip center of New York...women only bring trouble....

The day ended and all the waitresses and waiters left, but Ji stayed behind. This only made it seem more likely that Ji was staying behind for Jim so they can go together, fueling the rumors even further. Ji didn't care, though. She had been betrayed enough to know who she could give her trust to and who not to give them to. From the beginning, she kept very shallow relationships with the wait staff. She sat down and waited for everyone to leave so she can go up to the flat.

In the kitchen, Jim was counting the inventory in the refrigerator when Chef Rose went in and stood there until he noticed her. Jim, without losing his focus, "What do you want to ask, Rose?" Rose closed the refrigerator and sat him down, "There is a rumor." Rose inquisited with her thick French accent, "A rumor of love...between you and Ji." Jim finished counting the produce and put down his clipboard, "Rose...it doesn't do good to listen to rumors." 

"Ah, but wait. There's more." Rose went on, "The mysterious waitress is still here...waiting in the dining room. I wonder why?" Jim rubbed his eyes and got up. He headed toward the door but was blocked by Rose. Rose had a serious face on, "I understand that you and i did not work, but did you have to....have to start something new..so soon?" Jim looked down at Rose. They were in a relationship that ended a year ago. He her face, "Rose...you will always hold a special place in my heart, but...that was a year ago...also..I'm not in a relationship with Ji. But...even if I was...it wouldn't be your concern." Rose teared up and walked away from him, deeper into the refrigerator. Jim sighed, "Rose.." Rose sniffled quietly, "I'm going to stay in her for a bit...I"ll be out in a second." Jim knew her personality, so he left her in the refrigerator to cry in peace. He went to the dining room and saw Ji sitting at the table swinging her legs and muttering something. He smiled. He went to where she was, quietly and heard that she was humming the star wars theme under her breath. He couldn't help but bust out laughing. Ji fell off her chair in surprise and glared at Jim, "Seriously...do you have to sneak up on people?" The people in the kitchen had left through the back and only Rose was left. She came out of the refrigerator and heard laughing so she went to the dining room and saw Ji on the floor and Jim laughing his boyish laugh that she once loved so much. She saw Jim help Ji up and put his arm around her shoulder like he once used to with Rose and she left. 

Jim and Ji are now sitting in the dining room discussing what had happened that day.Ji was in disbelief, "I mean..in this day and age..it is okay for men and women to be friends." Jim nodded while smiling, "Are you hungry?" Ji looked at him with a huge smile, "You read my mind." she groaned while clutching her stomach. Jim got up and Ji followed. He took her to a gourmet diner that served breakfast food 24/7. They talked for hours, until they realized that they had work early the next day. Jim walked her back to the flat, "See you tomorrow. Let's see how far the rumor develops." Ji smiled, "Yes, tomorrow they might say that I'm pregnant and I tricked you into getting me pregnant." Jim choked on his spit. Ji was shocked, "Sorry...too far?" Jim nodded hastily. They parted ways. Ji went upstairs and opened the door to see Ron...sitting on the couch...watching TV...wait. Ji walked quickly to the living room, "Wait...there is a projector in here? oh my...wow that is cool." she said while smiling. She sat down next to Ron and took a swig out of his wine. He looked at her, "What are you doing?" Ji looked at him, "OH my goodness..wait...what are you still doing here? I thought you were going to go back to your apartment." Ron picked up his glass, "I can use this area..because it's my place, second...(Ji mumbled: you didn't say first...) second...you don't just drink from somebody's glass." Ji just stared at him intently for a few seconds. Ron froze, "What...?" Ji relaxed and laughed, "Sorry, I was waiting for a third reason. Anyways, I guess you're right." She got up and walked to the kitchen to get another glass of wine. Tiger followed and jumped up. Ji started to rub his stomach and Tiger made sounds of affection. Ron saw this and smiled...Maybe he made a rash judgement about Ji. She came back to the living room with her glass of wine and Tiger followed. He wedged himself in between Ji and Ron. Ron pet him, "Good boy." They just sat watching TV, unwinding from a long day. Ron also started to get relaxed. As they were watching TV, they were both petting Tiger when their fingers touched. Ron and Ji immediately pulled back. 

What will happen next?