Can a city of a million people be this boring?

City of Possibilities

God finds a way. He has a plan for everyone, so have faith in him.

In times of great stress, I turn to my fantasy world. I have books all over the place filled with ideas and stories that would come to me as I watch video clips and shows on TV. The following story I am going to upload is one story that soothes me. It is fiction (a bit like a romantic comedy) Hope you enjoy.

The city is blinding. Even at night, the bright lights make it seem like it's still daytime. The day will never end and neither will our lives. Jimin loved the city. The air can be rancid on one block and change 180 degrees into the most delicious scent on the next. She loved walking by the buildings with men and women in suits, and loved observing kitchens with chefs and staff bustling to get through the day. The city was filled with possibilities, and she thanks God that she was able to grow up in such a magical place.

Jimin moved from Kentucky to New Yok when she was 5. In Kentucky, the work was scarce so her father worked as a gardener and her mom worked as a maid. They always made just enough to get by to the next month. It wasn't enough though, so when her dad received a call from a friend in New York about a job in real estate, they packed their few things and moved to New York the next week. Now her parents were making more than enough, which became a problem when Jimin and her sister Jisoo were growing up. her and her sister were spoiled. Jisoo would go out every day and pay for dinner for all of her friends with her dad's credit card and Jimin...lived life through comic books and sci-fi. Her room was filled with action figures, collectibles, and of course posters of movies and kpop members. She was the typical geek that just seemed to get by, but Jimin wasn't ambitious. Even though she didn't cause trouble like her sister, she was still the one her parents worried about the most. Jisoo did what she wanted, but she still thought about her future. That's the reason why she was able to go to Yale, and graduate with a 3.3 GPA. Jimin on the other hand never really felt like academics was for her. She always got by by working as a waitress for catering companies when she needed a little extra cash, and by calling up one of her numerous friends to hang out when she was bored. She liked to live for the present, but sometimes you have to think about your future too. One question Jimin never asked her "What do I want to do? What am I interested in?"

Jimin had a lot of friends from high school that she hung out with. Whenever they met up, her friends would talk to her about college and how they wish they knew something before going there. It wasn't fun to hang out with them anymore, but friends for life, so she listened. She would go to music festivals with them and go to college parties with them, but one day the phone calls stopped coming. she was 22 years old and it seemed like all her friends were suddenly too good for her. Jimin woke up and picked up her phone, "Yo, what's up?" It was a call from her best guy friend, Colin. "Hey, you know how you hit me up yesterday about a job?" He shouted into the phone. Jimin shot up, "Hey, yea..you find something?"

"Say you love me," he said chuckling. Jimin rolled her eyes and said, "iloveyou, now come on!" She heard him exhale and knew that he was smoking on the pier where he worked.

He moves to a quieter place, "Okay, so there is this bigshot chef that comes to our pier every day to pick up some ingredients for his restaurant. He was talking with Henry (his boss) about how there doesn't seem to be decent workers in New York anymore. Apparently he fired one of his waitresses because she was spitting in the customer's food if they were rude to her, "There is a pause as he starts to laugh hysterically. Jimin rubs her eyes and heads to the bathroom, "Uh huh...?"

" Oh yea right," he sputters, "so he was saying how he needed a waitress right now and I told him about you. he gave me his number and he wants you to call him as soon as possible."

"As soon as possible..."

"Yup"

"I love you, but you are a complete moron! Text me his number and ...I owe you. Bye"

He texted it to her with a kissy face emoticon and she dialed. A good job as a waitress in a 4 star restaurant could mean that she might make it out of this craphole apartment. The phone rang once...twice...three times and then voicemail...great...he probably found someone else. Jimin finishes brushing her teeth and decides to take a long hot shower. She looks in the bathtub as she reaches for the water dial and draws back quickly, "KIM!! What the heck!! You left your hairdryer in the bathtub again!!" Jimin hears a groan and then sighs. She couldn't live like this anymore. She heads to her room and looks at job opportunities online to see if there was anything decent when she hears her phone ring. It's the chef...oh my goodness, it's the chef, " Hello, this is Jimin--"

"Yes, this is Ron, I believe this is the waitress?"

"Yes"

"Good, get to the restaurant in ten minutes. I'll text you the address."

Oh my goodness..ten minutes?? Jimin changes her clothes, puts on a hat and rushes to the subway. She gets to the restaurtant in ten minutes, but as soon as she enters the front door, gasping for air, she sees....nobody, "Hello?" Jimin cautiously walks around the restaurant looking for any sign of life, but there didn't seem to be anybody there. She looked at the door that lead to the back, but figured it would be rude to just burst into the kitchen. So Jimin pulled out a chair from one of the most immaculate tables she has ever seen and waited. Ten minutes later the kitchen door swings open and a sea of people rush out of the kitchen bustling. They are all fixing their uniforms, chatting with one another when the person in the front suddenly stops causing the rest of the workers to crash into one another, "Um...please tell me that I am not the only one who sees her," The bartender said as he pointed at Jimin. Jimin waved meekly. Marie, the manager, rushes to the front and stops, "Hello, " she says cautiously as if Jimin was a foreigner, "we. do not. open. until 4." Jimin got out of her seat and extended her hand enthusiastically, "Hi, my name is Jimin and I am the new waitress." No one took her hand so she put it down and continued to explain, "I got a call twenty minutes ago to get to this restaurant as soon as possible, so I rushed here. I thought someone would come to meet me in the front, so...that's...why I was sitting here." Everyone was just looking at her as if to look for a flaw.

Suddenly the kitchen door swings open again and she hears a familiar voice, "Why....is everyone just standing around? We open in 2 hours, and we have a lot to prep! Marie!! Where is Marie?" Chef Ron makes his way to the front and faces Marie, "Hello in there. Why is everybody just standing around? Am I being pranked? Tell me the truth."

"No"

"Yup...can you please elaborate?"

"The waitress you hired today"

"And fired-- that's right. did you call her and tell her that she was fired?"

Jimin perked up, "What did I do?"

This startled Chef Ron. He turned around and was face-to-face with Jimin, "When did you get here?"

Jimin looked at him and gulped, "ten minutes ago...when it was ten minutes after you gave me the call and told me to get here in ten minutes."

"Wha...? Okay," He turns back to Marie, "I want you to train her, show her her section, and get her a uniform." He turns to the rest of the staff, "Everybody else, GET TO WORK!" He rushes back into the kitchen while everybody scattered to where they had to go. Marie looked at Jimin up and down and started writing in her notebook. She then just started to walk away from Jimin. Jimin looked around then stared at the manager slowly getting farther away. Marie turns around, "Hurry." Jimin caught up to marie and listened for the next 30 minutes as Marie explained how everything worked in the restaurant. She showed Jimin her section, introduced her to some people who passed by and then handed Jimin her uniform and shoved her in the locker room.

"You have 5 minutes to get changed. You can use the locker that says 'Ansley'. We'll have to get that changed. When your shift if over, I want you to come look for me so I can get your paperwork started as well. Questions?" Marie asked as she walked away. Jimin was frozen for a few seconds but then got herself together. This wasn't an opportunity she wanted to let go of. She changed, and took a notepad she found in Ansley's locker and wrote down notes. Her sections, names, directions, steps, etc. Jimin headed out and saw that the other waiters and waitresses were all in a group looking at each other and helping people get ready, so Jimin walked up to them, "Hello." They all looked up and smiled at her. If you looked at each individual smile it was very charming, but all together it seemed a bit ...scary. A guy stepped up, "Hey, my name is Charles. Been working here almost 2 years now. You said your name was Jimeen right?" Jimin chuckled, " yea, but you guys can call me Ji" Suddenly Marie calls for Ji. Ji goes to her and sees her holding a menu, "I want you to go into the kitchen and learn everything you can about the menu." That was it. Ji was shoved into the kitchen. She stands there looking at the cooks doing their job and looks back at the dining room. Was she suppose to wait...or. Ron comes out of the office to get more coffee and sees Ji just standing there. He wanted to fire her, but he needed coffee more, so he went to the back to get more, when he heard a crash...accidents did not occur in his restaurant. He saw a plate with the salmon on the floor and Sous Chef Jim looking at Ji. Ji stammered," I was told to ask somebody about the menu and you passed by so I just grabbed you. I didn't know who to ask." Ron stormed toward Ji and spun her around to face him," Are you a moron? Did you expect these chefs who are busy with their own jobs to come and baby you? Did you think they would bring you each dish and tell you what went in it one by one?" Ji straigtened up and looked Ron in the eye,"No, chef." It was a look of determination. He took a step back with the same facial expression and said, "Good. Then go learn about the food and don't get in their way." He heads into the office with his coffee and rubs his eyes. He sits down to get started with the inventory, bank statements, and new menu when he remembers something and slams his hand on the table. Damn..he meant to fire Ji. "Oh well...."he thinks as he sips his coffee, "she'll mess up again. He can fire her then." They start to get to know one another and were helping Ji with the menu items when someone realizes that it's 5 minutes till open. Service starts...showtime. The day and night were long. By the time the restaurant closed for the night, Ji was

Ji heads out of the kitchen with a notebook filled with notes and heads back to the waiters and waitresses. She knew she couldn't make anymore mistakes so she starts asking everybody questions. Even though they are annoyed and want to rest before service, they still answer her questions. They start to get to know one another and were helping Ji with the menu items when someone realizes that it's 5 minutes till open. Service starts...showtime. The day and night were long. By the time the restaurant closed for the night, Ji was competely exhausted. Everyone changed (guys and girls together...) and headed home. Ji remembered to go to Marie after so she went to the back and heard bickering. She looked around and saw that the kitchen staff was still in the back cleaning everything and getting everything ready for the next day. One of the line cooks looked up and motioned at Ji.

Ji walked up to her, "I have to meet with marie..do you know when she'll be...done?"

The line cook looks behind Ji then inches closer to Ji's face, "I think it would be best to just meet her tomorrow. One time they fought all night. They were still shouting when we arrived for the morning."

Ji nodded, but didn't think it was appropriate to just leave, so she waited. She went back to the dining room and sat at one of the tables. Eventually she saw each one of the chefs and kitchen staff leave. An hour later, she sees Marie storming out of the kitchen and jumps up, startling Marie, "Wha..Ji. What are you still doing here?"

Ji stammers, "I...I thought you ssaid to meet you after my shift...I saw that you were busy so I waited." Marie remembers and sighs, "I am so sorry. Follow me." They get to her office and Marie hands her a folder of contracts and information forms to know where to send her paychecks, and etc. Ji thanks Marie and they head out together. Outside, Marie lights up a cigarette and exhales with a peaceful look on her face. She offers one to Ji, but Ji refuses. "Suit yourself," Marie shrugs, "This magically stick is the only thing that gets me through the day. Au revoir." Marie heads home. Ji turns around and faces the restaurant. This was the beginning of something wonderful..she hopes.

Upstairs Ron is in a flat that lies above the restaurant. When he had to stay late or come in earlier than normal the next day, he used the flat upstairs. He took a cup of tea and a plate of lemon slices cooked in honey up to the roof. He looked out into the city lights and sighed. This place was his muse.He stuck a honey cooked lemon in his mouth and leaned against the railing. He was chewing peacefully when suddenly "WOO!! YEA!! I MADE IT!!" He looked down the railing to see Ji jumping up and down. He slams the railing with his hand...damn...didn't he fire her? He bit down on the lemon in frustration causing it to drop...and he watched in horror as he saw the lemon inch closer to Ji. He couldn't help but yell, "Move!" As soon as he blurted it out, he ducked right away not wanting to let Ji see him. Ji looked up and SPLAT!  A sticky lemon fell on her face. Ji brushed it off and took out a baby wipe from her bag. She, like a true new yorker, was always prepared. She sighed, "Wouldn't be New York without a mean grouch."

She headed home. When she got to the apartment, she heard loud noises and knew that they were having another party. As soon as she opened the door she started choking. A cloud of smoke bilowed out of the apartment. Jane quickly pulls Ji in and closes the door. Kim and Don were on the couch laughing hysterically. Ji looked around and sighed. She really didn't want to live like this anymore. She went into her room and slid onto the floor. Wait...she had enough money..she didn't have to live like this. She got up and packed up all her stuff. As she was running around the apartment, Jane watched but didn't say anything. When Ji was done packing, she had a suitcase, backpack, and duffel bag full of stuff. She opened the door, grabbed Tiger, their dog, and left. As she left, Kim and Don waved a her and started to laugh again. Ji closed the door one final time and locked it. As she looked at the key in her hand she remembered the first day she moved in.She just graduated from high school and moved into that apartment as a starting point for her life. a couple dozen roommates and years later, she was leaving this place she had called home. She couldn't believe it. She opened up her backpack and took out a folder labeled apartment that explained how to pay for the bills, who to ask for extensions, and etc. and placed her key in it. She slid the folder under the door and didn't look back.

Okay...she looked back a couple of times, but only because Tiger was completely baked and wouldn't move. Tiger was Kim's puppy, but Ji took care of him. Ji looked up hotels that let dogs stay and found one for 100 dollars a night. Ji had enough to stay there for 10 nights and still had 1000 dollars to use on a down payment for a new place. She was ready. The hotel was 5-minute walking distance to the restaurant so she was good for work. She laid on the poofy duvet and sighed. No Kim and Don going at it in the living room, no Italian family yelling and crying upstairs, no police sirens every 2 minutes. This was the life. She drifted off to sleep. The next morning she ordered room service breakfast with coffee and a gourmet meal for Tiger. They both were about to start the day fresh. She took Tiger to the doggy-daycare and headed off to work. It was 7AM, a bit early, but she wanted to take her time getting to work. She got to the restaurant, but the door was locked. she headed to the back and saw a huge truck of produce in the back. Chef Ron and Jim were there inspecting the produce. Ji found this very interesting so she sat and watched. Ron would smell the fruit and examine every part of it. Jim would do the same. It was all very interesting to Ji. As the other chef's came , they greeted the chefs who would just wave without looking and grunt. The chef's also saw Ji crouching next to the chefs smiling and waved at her in confusion. Was she suppose to be there? Finally, there were 6 boxes of produce and Ron paid the people. they shook hands and Jim and Ron waved at them as they left and inspected the fruit and vegetables once more. Ji got up,"Wow, that was facinating." Ron and Jim gasped...they didn't think anyone was out there. Them gasping made Ji gasp as well, "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you guys, but why did you smell the carrot? Can I ask? I just...is there a smell that tells you if the carrot is good?" Ron looked at Ji with a puzzled face, "You don't smell carrots to see if they are good. The carrots are usually good." Ji looked at Jim quickly then smiled as she looked up, "Okay..sorry. I think I saw something else. Time to get ready for service. Want help with the boxes?--"

"No!" Ron exclaimed. Ji pulls back, "sorry." and she walks into the restaurant. Ron takes three boxes and Jim takes the other three to the back. The other chefs go and help sort them and get them ready for the week. Jim heads to the dining room and pulls ji aside, "Hey...you were talking about me with that carrot thing right?" Ji pauses, "...yes...but you know it might have been something else." Jim sighs and laughs, "No...you were right. I did smell the carrot." Ji was getting a bit creeped out. Jim was pretty handsome in a dishelved kind of way, but not that handsome. Jim looks at Ji's frozen face and laughs, "I'm sorry, let me explain. I feel like I can trust you. I have no idea how to pick produce. I usually just know if something is good or not. It's a gift, but the chef doesn't belive in God-given gifts. He believes in hard work, so I pretend like I know how to check if a fruit or vegetable or meat is good." Ji relaxes, "Oh, that's not so bad. I mean....but isn't that gift kind of awesome? Why would you hide it?"

Jim leans agains the window. The light made him look...youthful and not sleep-deprived and his smile looked like a little kid's when he enters a toy store, "The chef's story is amazing. I look up to him and I don't think I will ever have another opportunity to work for someone this amazing again. I want to open up my own restaurant one day and Chef Ron is the best. Ji thought about this, "wow, didn't realize how ....great he was." Jim laughed and headed back into the kitchen. Duvan, Jess, and Kris rushed to where Ji was. Duvan grabbed Ji's arm, "what did you say to Jim to make him smile like that? He looked..human." Ji was shocked, "nothing. we just talked about why he decided to work here...in this restaurant..." Jess cleared , "Okay, well that was amazing. He usually looks dead...like a vampire...we had a pool around her a year ago on who could make him laugh, but that pool closed like last month because no one could do it. If you were here a month ago, you could have made hella cash. Ji laughed, "Damn...lifes all about timing..." Duvan looks at Ji up and down and link their arms together, "I like you." the rest of the week, Ji was working non-stop. She was now a pro on everything in the restaurant and felt like she knew where she belonged now.

It's Sunday and Ji gets back from Sunday service. she met friends she hadn't seen in a while. Apparently it is the less busy season for them so they are able to come out to church, again. ji tells them about her job and they are all happy for her, but it didn't seem genuine. Ji takes Tiger and go for a run in central park. She gets to the fountain and sits down. She gives Tiger water and drinks some herself and is enjoying the air when she notices someone sitting down next to her. She turns to see who it is and it's Jim. He was out for a run too. Tiger notices this too and is on guard. He stops drinking his water and just stares at Jim. Jim smiles at Ji then he takes a biscuit out of his pocket and tosses it to Tiger. Ji laughs, "man...I need a new guard dog. This one is to easy to sway." Jim laughs, "Do you run here often?" Ji looks at him, "Sounds like a pick-up line." Jim stammers, "no..i mean no...I was just interested because I never noticed you before, but then again I didn't know you before so even if we did meet, we wouldn't know..you know?" Ji laughs, "Wow, sorry. I didn't mean to startle you. I was just joking haha. No, the answer is no. I recently started because I'm staying at a place close to here until I find a place to live." Jim takes a swig of water, "You don't have a place to stay?" Ji shakes her head as she pets Tiger. Jim chuckles, "You must be blessed." Ji looks at him in confusion. Jim looks at her and smiles, "The flat above the restaurant is empty. Ron stays there sometimes, but he won't be there for 3 months. The busy season is over for him." Ji looks at Jim, "Seriously?" Jim was serious. Ji was ecstatic. Ji told Jim that she had been staying at a hotel near the restaurant and Jim was shocked, "That place has the best seafood." Ji invited him to dinner at the hotel restaurant as a thank you, and they parted ways.

Back at the hotel, Ji rummages through her suitcase and finds a dress. It's one of the few dresses that she owns, but it hasn't failed her yet. Ji knew it wasn't a date, but she hadn't gone on a dinner date in a while and was excited, but the restaurant was fancy. She got ready as she watched shows on the TV, and by the time she was all finished it was 8. They decided to meet at 8:30 in the lobby, so she ordered food for Tiger and headed down. Jim was waiting in a suit in the lobby and immediately Ji caught his eyes as she exited the elevator. She walked with confidence and it was evident to everyone that saw her that she was a force to be reckoned with. Jim met her halfway and extended his arm toward her. She grabbed it and smiled, " wow, you clean up very well." Jim laughed, "I could say the same for you. I almost didn't recognize you." They get to the restaurant and everyone who saw them immediately made judgements in their minds (he must be wealthy, and she must have married them.They must be vacationing. An asian woman with a white man, she must be an . etc. They sat down and ordered everything on the menu. It was a day of treating oneself, so they would do exactly that. They started to get to know one another and found similarities with their love of star wars and star trek.

Jim coughed, "What?? Captain Kirk is way better than Captain Picard."

Ji shook her head, "mmm, no you're wrong. Caption Jean-luc Picard is level headed, and you feel safe with him. Captain Kirk is arrogant and he does what he wants, endangering his crew."

Jim smiled, "I just think...you are wrong." Ji laughed, "Great counter." As they get halfway through their meal, someone enters the restaurant as well. It was chef Ron. He is seated next to Jim and Ji, and both parties don't realize until Jim says, "So...do you go to cons?" Ron recognized Jim's voice and faced him. Ji saw this and gasped. Ron looked at Ji, but didn't recognize her until her did a double take, "Jim...nice to see you...with...Ji?" Jim jumps up, "Chef! I didn't know you were going to be eating here, as well. Yes, I am eating with Ji...As a welcome to the restaurant type deal." Ji waves at chef, "Hello, chef." Chef Ron nods at her. Jim and Ji look at each other and know that they both want to leave. Jim clears his throat and motions for their check. Ji takes the check and tries to pay for the meal but Jim overpowered her. He paid and they went their separate ways. As they left, a woman takes a seat in front of Ron. She was the editor of The New York Times. she sat down and ordered wine, "Let's get started." Ron smiles, but couldn't help but think about Jim and Ji.

Jim and Ji are at a cafe now, sipping coffee and laughing about what just happened. Ji smacks Jim, "I'm not sure you really know a lot about Chef Ron. How am I suppose to trust that he won't barge in while I live in the flat above the restaurant?" Jim smiles, "Yea, today was...not the best, but i am sure about the flat. He already made preparations to leave the kitchen to me as he stays in his condo. I think he wants to open up another restaurant...hoping that this might be my chance." Ji looks at Jim's baby like face, "I hope you get it."

The next day at the restaurant, Jim and ji are professional. So professional that no one suspects anything except Ron who already saw them together. He keeps peeking out of the office trying to catch them together. He won't fire them, but he was just curious. Ji was currently moved into the flat.

After service ended, everybody went home but Ji stayed behind. She was about to go to the stairway that lead to the flat when she heard noise in the kitchen. She slowly walked back to see Chef Ron cooking in the kitchen. He seemed to be experimenting with something. She was mesmerized. He looked so...focused and intense but joyful. She was so close to the window that it started to fog up. When he vision was completely blurred she remembered that she couldn't be caught by the chef and ran upstairs. Ron looked up after hearing a faint noise and looked down but then looked up slowly again in fear. He saw that the window on the kitchen door was foggy. He picked up a knife and slowly made his way to the dining room. By now, Ji was safely upstairs. He checked everywhere and saw that the restaurant door was locked as well and went back to work. It was 3 in the morning and Ron was exhausted. He didn't have to get into the restaurant the next day, but he wanted to get some last minute details done so he headed to the flat upstairs. He got there and just fell asleep on the couch. Ji was asleep on the bed.

The next morning, the alarm rang for 6:30. Ji woke up and went to the bathroom to brush her teeth. Ron walks in as well, both are half asleep. They brush their teeth side by side and then leave the bathroom. Ji walks back to the room and starts to change her clothes. Ron walks in and lays down on the bed. He opens his eyes slightly to see a blurry silhouette changing in his room. He rubs his eyes and sees Ji. He yells, causing Ji to jolt awake and she yells. She is now completely dressed, but...why...what? Ron gets up, "What are you doing in my flat?"

Ji smiles meekly, "I....was.....told...that you were not going to be here for 3 months.." I was going to clean this place spotless when I left...after I found a place to live." Ron looked at her and froze. He didn't know what to say, ".........you don't have a place to stay?" Ji laughed, "I mean... I was staying at that hotel where we saw each other the other day, but Jim told me.....I mean...God..blessed me with...the flat...opportunity." Ron got up slowly, "Jim...told you...I've been meaning to ask..what is your relationship with Jim?" Ji looked at the chef, "Nothing, chef. We're friends. We bonded and he told me about this place and then I treated him to dinner...which he bought...but then yea...we're just friends." Ron shook his head..."Alright...aside for that...I can't have you living here...this is my place." Ji looked at him with sadness in her eyes, "Look...Just for a month then. I just need some time to save up some money and find a place to live." Ron looks at her and rubs his face in exhaustion, "look a week...that's it. And you can't sleep on my bed." Ji thinks about this for a second. A week was enough time to show him that she was the ideal tennant for his space while he wasn't using it, "Okay. That sounds fair. Thank you." Suddenly a sleepy Tiger enters the room. He had been sleeping behind the couch. Ji rushes over to him and looks at Ron. Ron looks at Tiger then back at Ji, then at Tiger, "Is...he yours?" Ji wanted to lie and say no, but, "Yes." It just came out...like Cady would say in Mean girls 'Like word vomit'. Ron smiles shocking Ji and kneels down next to Tiger and pets him, "Okay...you can stay for a month...but no more than that." He pets Tiger again then leaves the room...whoa..what just happened?

This is where I will leave this story. To be Continued....