The Change

City of Possibilities

Ron stayed over that night. (nope not in the way that you're thinking) Ron slept in the bedroom while Ji slept on the couch with Tiger on the floor next to her. The next morning, Ji woke up to find that the bedroom door was wide open and Ron was gone. She got ready for the day and headed downstairs. She was done a little earlier than normal, so she decided to get a coffee at the cafe across the street. She went in and ordered a mocha latte. She headed back to the back kitchen door and waited until somebody arrived. The first person was Jim. Jim looked at her and smiled, "You look...rough." He opened the door and they both went in. As soon as they got there, they saw Ron coming out of the office, yawning. He was half asleep but he smelled the coffee. He walked up to Ji, took her coffee, and went back into his office. Jim looked confused, "Wha....was he here...all night?" Ji sighed, "Yup....he knows I'm sleeping up stairs." Jim almost fainted, "What? And he's okay with that?" Ji looked at him and smiled, "Yea, it's all good." She shrugged and walked away but that answer wasn't good enough. Jim followed like a puppy, asking a million questions, "Does he know about Tiger? (yup, and he loves him) Is he okay with you sleeping on his bed? (nope, I'm sleeping on the couch, but it's pretty comfortable)" and so on. Last question, "He normally doesn't like to share anything that somebody else drank...why was he okay with taking your coffee?" Ji looked at him unamused, "What do you want to ask?" Jim smiled, "Did something...happen between you two?" Ji groaned, " You are seriously no better than the other people that work here, you know?" He started to laugh and apologized, but Ji was still annoyed. He was still apologizing and making a fool of himself when Rose, Chet, Bryan, and Sue walked in. Sue coughed, letting Ji and Jim know that there were people there. Jim looked up and saw Rose and smiled at her. She smiled back and went to her station. She smiled at Ji, "Good morning, Ji. I love your top." Ji smiled, "Thanks~ I don't even remember where I got it." Ji went to the dining room to get ready for service and Jim looked at Rose. Rose looked back innocently, "What? I complimented her." Jim sighed, "You did that to size her up. Let it go. Nothing is happening between her and me. Let this be known to everybody that works here!" He went back to his station and started to take roll. By then everybody was in the restaurant. They did their daily meeting and started to get ready for the day. It was an hour to open when the office opened and Ron came out again, yawning. He threw the empty coffee cup away and went to the bathroom. All the kitchen staff stopped and greeted him to which he waved his hand and then they all turned to Jim...Jim shrugged and continued working. The rest of the staff followed in his example. 

For the next week Ron stayed at the flat with Ji. He said he was working but in truth he liked having someone there to look forward to coming home every night. He just could not admit that to himself. He convinced himself that he just worked better at the flat than at his apartment. One night Ji came home and saw that Ron was on his way out. He looked up at her and smiled. He was smiling more, and Ji liked that. Ron grabbed Tiger and his leash and passed ji...Ji turned around in confusion, "Um...excuse me...where are you going?" Ron looked at her, "For a walk and maybe for a bite to eat...wanna come?" Ji takes the leash from Ron's hand and leads the way out. Tiger was excited to finally be out after weeks stuck at home. He was a bit too excited. He was jumping up and down and trying to run in the street. He had gotten strong too so Ji was slowly being pulled into the street without her knowing when a car was coming, so Ron grabbed her and took the leash from her hand. She was nestled up in his arms and felt....comfortable. Ron also felt....warm. He let go and Ji coughed, "Thanks.." Ron took his scarf and put it around her neck...it was that smell she smelled when he was embracing her. It was so....familiar. They walked down the street to a street filled with food trucks and museums. Ji brightened up, "I love this place...I used to come here all the time when I was younger...wow...you know...all of New York can change but this street...this street is home." Ron looked down at her puzzled. He originally thought she was stuck up, but now he sees that...she has a side to her that pulled people in. She grabbed Ron's arm, "Let's go!" They followed their nose to a food truck that was selling Fusion asian american food. The Bulgogi eggroll was unbeatable. After stuffing themselves, they went to the different museums to look at the art. They walk to one painting of a lone house on an island and Ji stops, "this reminds me of...your food." Ron looked at her...Ji glanced at him and sighed, "Okay...let me explain. Your food stands out...but something about it...seems lonely. The way that it's plated, the I don't know how to explain it...it just..seems lonely." JI walks away to another painting while eating her ice cream when the manager of the gallery rushes up to her with a trashcan, "Excuse me, ma'am you cannot eat in this gallery. If you would like to finish your...snack, i would prefer you to do it outside...if not..." The manager pointed at the trashcan, "Also...pets...are not allowed..." Ji looked at him in horror, "Excuse you...I will NOT THROW AWAY MY DOG IN YOUR TRASHCAN!" Ji yelled so everyone could hear her. The manager looked alarmed and glanced around, "I ...I DID NOT SAY THAT, everyone.." He turned and walked away. Ron grabbed her and they ran outside. Ron's face was bright red. Ji took out her phone and snapped a pic of it. Ron turned and tried to snatch her phone away, but he was too slow. In that moment, Ji accidently took another photo. The photo is an ariel view that, if looked at with the wrong thoughts, could look like they were embracing. Ron took a step back and Ji put her phone away without looking at the photo. She wanted to save it when she got back to the flat. 

They get back to the flat and Ji collapses onto the couch. Ron goes into his room and takes off his coat. Ji can see everything he is doing through a wide crack on his door. She gets up and shakes her head...she needed a boyfriend stat...this was getting ridiculous. She took off her coat then took off the scarf that Ron lent her and she knocked on his door. He answered, "Yea?" She went in and saw him in his PJ'S fresh faced. She handed him his scarf, "Thanks." He took it and they stood there for a minute...then he said, "You can have it...it's always good to have a scarf and...I have more." Ji looked at him, "I have a scarf too...I don't need this." The next thing Ron does...he will recount in his mind for months...tossing and turning in bed, because he could not figure out why he did what he did. Ron took Ji's shoulders and gently pressed her against the wall so she couldn't escape. He then took the scarf and put it around her neck. All while they were looking at each other. she was looking at him confused, and he was looking at her...just because. Then he took a step back and walked to his bed and turned off the light to sleep, "you can close the door on your way out." She hastily walked out and shut the door. Her heart was pounding with such ferosity...in the bedroom, Ron's heart was doing the same. The next week, Ron went to his apartment and stayed there for 2 months, working and finding new muses. He was working on one dish called lone Island that was an inspiration from the painting that they saw. 

On the other side...Jim was coming to terms with himself...he couldn't get JI out of his mind and ...kept thinking about getting to work as quickly as possible so he could meet her...he finally realized that...yea...maybe he did like her.

 

What will happen next? To be Continued.....