Chapter 2: Golden Cage

Sins Of The Fathers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


    When Bora got back to her painting studio after storming out of the kitchen, she let out a loud sob before contemplating crying the day away. Holding her head in her hands she let out a deep breath.

    Get a grip of yourself, she scolded herself.

    More urgent problems awaited, she'd cry later.

    Checking her phone, she had 6 missed calls from Yoona. She groaned. . Yoona was the leader of the whole 2016 Senior Exhibition. All the class had agreed on a theme at the beginning of the school year, Inner Demons, and had had to work together to produce paintings, drawings, sculptures and any form of art to be displayed in the exhibition hall of the Seoul Arts Center.

    The school provided the venue but it was up to the students to oversee the smooth running of the exhibition. Yoona was the appointed leader of the class and thus had to make sure everyone handed over their work on time to be carried to the venue. She had been pestering Bora the past week for a day-to-day update on her work. Bora's painting being the center piece of the exhibition, needless to say Yoona had been on edge all week. The girl was a control freak.

    Cautiously, she took the canvas down from its easel. As she did so, the weight in her chest lightened. She was more than relieved to put these past few weeks behind her. Don't get her wrong. She loved painting but she hated deadlines. She'd heard of people liking the rush of adrenaline coming along with looming deadlines. These people were just sadistic in her opinion. 

    Easing the painting in the backseat of her car, she drove through the city to the South Korea School of Fine Arts, a 15 minutes ride from her house. As soon as she stepped foot in the building, Yoona appeared before her in a storm.

    "What the hell took you so long?" She immediately fired. Before Bora could respond, she cut her off. "Anyway, the truck driver is getting ready to leave for the Arts Center with all the equipment and everyone's work." She raised her eyebrows and tilted her head at something behind Bora, hinting at her to take a look. Turning around, she saw the truck driver getting inside the vehicle - and starting the engine. Horrified, Bora realized he wasn't getting ready to leave, just downright leaving. She wouldn't catch him up in time. He was on the other side of the parking lot. Bora faced Yoona with a tight-lipped smile. She was trying to get to her - and it was working.

    "Since everyone else brought their stuff in yesterday we had time to wrap everything up. As for you," her eyes sharpened. "I guess you'll have to take care of it yourself. I was already nice enough to extend your deadline. And to be clear, I only did it because you're valedictorian making your painting the center piece and I would lose all credibility without my center piece."

    Bora clenched her teeth. "You didn't tell the driver , did you?"

    Yoona casually examined her nails as she replied. "I don't think you're good enough to be center piece, to be honest."

    Bora faked a pout and wiped virtual tears. "Is this what this is about? You're mad I'm the class valedictorian?"

    That seemed to get to Yoona. She stopped the examination of her manicured nails and stabbed her index finger at her. "I have nothing to envy from you, Lee Bora. Get that through that thick head of yours."

    "Showing envious resentment of someone's achievements. Looks like jealousy to me." Bora patted her head and effectively skirted by her, venturing further down the school hall.

    As she reached the stairs leading to the applied arts wing, she stopped dead in her tracks when she heard sobs echoing down the empty hall. She considered pretending she hadn't heard her but then decided it wouldn't be morally correct.

    Yoona had her arms folded across her chest and her back still turned to Bora. Only when her sobs dramatically intensified did Bora refrain from rolling her eyes and walk up to her with a sigh.

    She tentatively put a hand on her shoulder, making the weeping form flinch and turn in surprise.

    Her eyes widened when she saw Bora. "What are you still doing here?" Her voice was wobbly, eyebrows slightly raised. She looked like a deer caught in headlights.

    "Are you... okay?" Bora frowned in slight worry.

    Yoona scoffed and quickly wiped her tears. "Like you care."

    Bora sighed and replied softly. "Of course I do. You know I mean you no harm." They always picked at each other, nothing new under the sun. Why did she cry, then?

    Yoona sniffled and played with the hem of her shirt. "It's just that my life is a mess right now. I'm not in control, and I hate it. Seong Hun..." She looked up, not meeting Bora's eyes. "He broke up with me."

    Well, that was unexpected.

    "And then you dropped all that stress on me by pushing back your deadlines. You're such a ." Her last sentence was punctuated by a loud sob. Yoona took a deep breath before talking again. "I'm sorry I was mean to you and I think you're a fantastic artist, I wish I could take back what I said and you know what? You're right, I'm jealous. But, hey, I'm working on it." She smiled timidly, looking up expectantly at Bora.

    A laugh escaped Bora's lips. Yoona was so blunt and her mood swings were really hard to keep up with. "I'm sorry about you and Seong Hun."

   Yoona's smile faltered as she spoke again. "Do you think..."

    "What?" Bora raised her brows.

    Avoiding her gaze she said. "No, it's stupid. Forget it."

    Dramatically rolling her eyes, Bora insisted. "Come on, spill it!"

    "Do you think you could talk to Seong Hun? About me, I mean. You and he have always been good friends since our first year."

    Bora held back a wince. Hell no. She was no relationship counselor.

    Yoona's eyes were expectantly waiting for an answer. Like she, Bora, was in any better control of her life to fix other people's problems. But she was the one to press the issue in the first place. So she said, "Sure, I'll do it. But I don't have a magic spell to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter