Chapter 6: Car Chasing 101

Sins Of The Fathers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

      Bora and Jackson had picked the worst day for a joy ride. It was a Monday in the middle of one of the busiest business district of South Korea's capital, a buzzing hive of activity where tall buildings towered over rushed pedestrians whose lungs burned from the burning stench of gasoline and pollution.

Unfortunately, the area was impossible to drive through at car-chasing speed. The maneuver would have required her running over a few people in passing. She had bought her car a while back and never even had if only a parking ticket. Bora's red Mazda could go miles without needing a refill on gas. That wasn't what she was worried about. She just didn’t see herself appear before a court on a charge of homicide.

The thing though, was that right after Jackson had hopped into the car, five gigantic motorbikes had appeared in her rearview mirror and started chasing after them.

Bora threw caution to the wind and accelerated, zigzagging between cars, making drivers honk angrily at them. She wove through traffic effortlessly until she reached the ring road. The motorbikes kept up with her, though. Following the exact same path, they were barely a few cars away from them.

When she reached the city, Bora looked at Jackson, her hands tight around the steering wheel as though letting go of it would make the bad guys catch up on them.

"Who the hell are they?" She asked, her emotions a mixture of bewilderment and terror at people going to such great lengths to get to her.

 Even if her car could go on miles, she'd never had to shake off pursuers in the past. How exactly she was supposed to lose them was a big question mark to her.

Jackson looked back and said, "Turn left… The other left, you idiot!"

She recoiled in her seat. She had turned right and into the market streets of Seoul.

"Don't call me an idiot, moron!" She rebelled, even though she was in the wrong.

"Don't call me a moron, idiot!" Jackson shot back.

She gaped at him. "You started it!"

"Can't you tell the difference between left and right?" He shouted angrily.

"I panicked!" She retorted.

 Jackson pierced her with his gaze as if she had said the most ridiculous thing he'd ever heard.

She probably had.

“You don’t get to panic when you’re being chased down by cutthroat men-in-black!”

“I’m sorry, I wasn’t introduced to Car Chasing 101, Wang!” She retorted exasperated at his condescending tone. Now wasn’t the time to lecture her.

      Bora and Jackson were forced to stop their bickering when one biker passed them to ride in front of Bora’s car, while the other four remained at a distance.

Following her instinct, she surprised both herself and Jackson as she pushed her feet down on the gas pedal. She gasped when the man hit the hood, his bike flying in the distance. He flew above the roof and fell behind them obstructing the way to his peers.

Jackson sneered and shot her a mocking look in her peripheral vision. “You’re a natural, I see.”

She gave him a dirty look and honked angrily at pedestrians and market patrons. They scurried off, pushing themselves against the walls and creating a path in the middle of the lane. She turned in a less crowded path, getting away from the market as much as possible. The last thing she wanted was to get innocents hurt because of them.

"I hate this city." Jackson mumbled, looking at the crowd with disgust.

"Tell me about it.” She said through clenched teeth.

She had lived in Seoul for the past eight years but had never gotten used to it. She preferred the calmness of the coastal city of Busan, her hometown.

 Jackson furrowed his brows and his eyes widened. But not at her statement. He must’ve heard it first because he bent down out of the blue, dragging Bora down along. A millisecond later, she heard the wheezing, and then shattering glass. She shrieked as bullet impacts appeared on her rearview mirror. She whipped the car around, nearly driving over a stall of fruits. They came out on a new street empty of people, successfully getting out of the market.

They had gone from trying to escape pursuers, to trying to escape death.

"Holy ! They're trying to kill us, now?" Bora yelled at Jackson.

She didn’t even realize she was yelling. Her senses were numbed and her instincts had taken over.

"No, they're trying to kill you, love. You're probably number one on the country's most wanted list as we speak." He replied eyeing her up and down with disgust as if he couldn’t believe someone like her could be number one on the country’s most wanted list.

She gawked at him.

"This is what you get for meddling in other people's business." He went on, looking for their attackers in his side mirror. "Turn there." He ordered, pointing the way with his finger this time.

She took a sharp turn and they ended up in a narrow lane stretching on for miles.

The four remaining bikers were behind and Bora sped up as two of them caught up on them, one on each side of the car. She glanced at the one on her left.

"Brake." Jackson ordered.

Her stomach twisted. The man’s face shielded by a helmet, the brunette never caught his gaze. She could only see the barrel of a gun pointed her way through the window.

"Hit the brake!” He barked.

She gulped and closed her eyes. Her foot hit the brake at the same time Jackson set the emergency brake and reached to her side to turn the wheel around full force, making the car spin around once, mowing down the two bikers, one on each wall.

The alley could fit the width of a car and two bikers, but not the length of a car and two bikers. One of them had to go. That was brilliant. But ther

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter