Chapter 7: The Diner

Sins Of The Fathers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If Bora had to describe her twenty-first birthday in three words, it would probably be as follows: Worst. Birthday. Ever. And she knew a thing or two about y birthdays. But that was a story for another day.

The blazing midday sun had reached its peak. The summer heat was burning through her black clothes and her outfit stuck on her body like a second skin.

After stealing a black Honda, Bora and Jackson had taken the freeway when Bora noticed the umpteenth sign indicating the direction they were heading for.

“I’m pretty sure Seoul is the opposite direction.” She remarked, turning her head to the driver.

Jackson didn’t bother replying. His arms were outstretched on the steering wheel and covered with a jacket. How he wasn’t melting on his seat from the heat was a wonder to Bora who was fanning herself despite the open windows letting in fresh puffs of air.

His fingers adorned several rings and intricate patterns swirled around his right hand’s fingers. Deep in thoughts, he hadn’t let out a peep since they had departed from the parking.

Bora gritted her teeth. She hated this. She hated not knowing. She hated being in the dark and feeling powerless. And she hated Jackson Wang for letting her in the dark. She was desperate for answers and above all, for a sense of familiarity. She wanted to talk to someone she knew.

Just as that thought formed in her head, her phone started vibrating. She started with surprise before taking out the device from her inner pocket. Her heart jumped when she saw the name on the screen.

Woobin.

Just as she was about to answer, a tattooed hand wrapped around her cellphone, tearing it away from her.

“Hey!” She reached out to get her phone but Jackson was too fast. He glanced at the screen before opening his window and throwing the device away.

“What the hell?” She yelled. “That was my phone! First you abandon my car, I’m sorry it was too flashy for your liking, by the way. Then, you refuse to answer my questions and now this? Who do you think you are to pull off like that? And if you won’t answer, then tell me where the hell you’re taking me!”

“Nowhere really. I’m contemplating what to do with you.” He answered, unfazed by her previous words.

“Just take me home.”

Silence.

Then he said, “You don’t actually expect me to drive you back home, do you?”

“Why not?”

He pointed his thumb over his shoulder. “Don’t you get it? These men back there will be scouting your place and won’t hesitate shooting you on-sight.”

“So, what? You expect me to follow the first stranger I meet? You don’t seem any better.” She spat, eyeing his tattoo suspiciously. “Are you involved in a gang?”

“If I wanted to harm you, you’d be dead and buried by now.”

She squinted her eyes. “And what tells me you don’t have any ulterior motives?”

“I always have ulterior motives,” He said seriously.

She grunted. “Just tell me what this is all about.”

“Your father vowed for you to never know anything about this.”

“I’m not a child!” She gritted out. “Besides, do you all expect me to just let it go, now? Would you just let it slide if you were me?”

Jaw set, he didn’t reply, but she didn’t expect him to anyway.

She studied his profile. He’d taken off his cap and had dark short hair. And that black ink on his fingers fascinated her somehow. What on earth could he have to do with her father of all people?

“How do you know my father?”

“That’s a very good question, actually. Our fathers went to the army together.”

She squinted her eyes. “If they really did know each other, how come he’s never mentioned a Wang family before?”

He stayed silent again and she bit her tongue to refrain from cursing. “Do you always speak that much?”

“Only when I’m trying not to choke someone to death.”

She snorted in faux confidence and half worried. He did look like he could easily wrap the seatbelt around her neck and choke her to death in a matter of seconds. She wiggled uncomfortably in her seat and wrapped her fingers around her belt which felt suffocating suddenly.

She didn’t try to squeeze more answers out of him. She felt it’d be useless. She tipped her head back against the headrest and closed her eyes.

***

She must have dozed off at some point because when she opened her eyes again the sun was setting and the car was stopped at what looked like a gas station.

She groggily opened her eyes and knit her eyebrows as the sunlight blinded her vision. She blinked a few times and when her eyes adjusted to the brightness she took in the sight. She was surrounded by mountains behind which the sun was preparing to set, a palette of orange shades extended before her eyes.

What she’d give for a brush and a little paint in that moment. It was the most beautiful sunset she’d ever witnessed.

She’d never travelled a lot, not even throughout Korea. But she still knew they had driven for a long time if there were mountains. This was the countryside, far away from the capital.

She looked around in search of her travel buddy and her eyes landed on his tall figure. He was at the station shop entrance and was on the phone. She slid out the car quietly and stretched her limbs before heading for his direction.

She came to a standstill when pieces of his conversation came to her. Her free hand rose to and grabbed the necklace gifted to her by Woobin that she always wore. The heart-shaped pendant was stone cold.

“You have to be kidding me.” Jackson was saying, gritting his teeth. “I’m not a baby-s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter