Making Friends And Food

Babysitting Bangtan

“You must be very proud.” Jin heard Joon say, and he raised his eyes to see a soft look of the younger’s face. “Mom is always trying to get him to nap these days. He won’t do it for her. He must love you.” Joon had a look in his eyes, clear adoration for the tiny boy in Jin’s arms, and Jin smiled broadly.

    “He’s so adorable, it’s hard to put him down.” Jin said, quietly, rocking the boy on his hip a bit and watching the boy on his thumb harder. His laugh following the boy’s cute action was slightly breathless. “I’m in school to be a teacher.” Jin offered, by way of a conversation starter. Namjoon just nodded peacefully.

    “Want to hear my music now?” He asked, shy in the way people who are normally confident get sometimes. Jin nodded, then walked over to Joon’s bed quietly, seating himself at the edge. Joon started playing a song, much quieter than Jin assumed he would usually play it, and Jin felt his eyes widen at not only the talent, but the somewhat adult lyrics. Not necessarily ual, but featuring emotion that seems too old and all encompassing for such a young kid.

    “How old are you, Joonie?” Jin asked, head cocked to the side. Joon grinned and tilted his head mockingly.

    “How old are you, Jinnie?” He asked in return, and a surprised giggle escaped Jin.

    “I am 20 years old. Your turn.” He winked and Joon rolled his eyes good naturedly.

    “I just turned 16.” He answered, smiling. Jin felt something shift uncomfortably inside his stomach. He grinned despite the feeling, and started to lean back towards the pillows, but propriety and Jungkook’s small body stopped him. His cheeks colored when he realized it was only six in the evening and he was already tired. Joon stood up and approached him, slotting himself between the older’s legs. He gently wrapped his long fingers around Jungkook, shifting the boy to Jin’s front. He then reached back and pulled a few of his many pillows forward to cradle Jin’s back. Jin smiled in thanks at the boy, but felt distinctly awkward at the placement of Joon’s thin thighs. He shifted back, leaning against the pillows slightly, and found it to be much more comfortable.

    

    “I have a question.” Jin started, randomly, almost 45 minutes later. Joon, who had returned to his seat promptly after making sure Jin was comfortable, nodded absently. “How did you all end up with your weird last name?” He asked. Maybe it sounded too familiar, but after spending almost an hour watching the other boy sing and hum and write down small bursts of lyrics, he could say he felt particularly accustomed to the other boy.

    “My dad is American.” He answered, smiling distantly. “When he came over, he chose his own ‘Korean’ name. He liked the way it sounded. His first name was Daniel back in the States, so he changed it to Dan-yah. His whole name actually ends up meaning ‘only be bulletproof’ ironically.” Jin giggled at the ridiculous name the American man had come up with. “I don’t think he even realized what it meant until he met mom. She laughed at his name when she encountered him while working at a pizza shop when he signed up for a membership card.” Jin grinned at the happy way Joon discussed his adoptive parents.

    “It’s cool that your parents decided to adopt. Is there a story behind that?” When Joon looked uncomfortable at the mention of the topic, Jin backtracked. “Nevermind, sorry for being nosy. I need to go check up on the twins really quickly anyways.” He started to attempt to lift Jungkook, who keened angrily, and Joon huffed a laugh before standing himself.

    “I can go check on them. It’s about time we threw the pizza in the oven anyways.” Joon said, and the horrified look that took over Jin’s face was hilarious.

    “You are NOT eating a frozen pizza while I’m watching you. Why don’t we wake this little one up so he sleeps tonight, and we can all figure out what we want to eat. I know a few great recipes.” Joon’s jaw dropped slightly, and then a grin overtook his pretty features. Jin couldn’t stop the returning grin, and he decided then and there that he’d make sure these kids ate right and felt truly cared for by the time the summer ended.

 

Before he realized it, Jin was standing over a frying pan in the kitchen, Tzuyu’s pink apron on his torso, cooking a large amount of kimchi into several cups of rice. Hoseok helped him measure inredients and cuts things up. The oldest Bangtan hummed as he cooked. Jin would appreciate the pleasant sound if not for a louder one, being emitted from the smallest Bangtan. Jin took the premeasured portion of sauces from Hobi and dumped them into the rice. He stirred the pan and groaned as Jungkook’s tiny fingers pinched his leg through the fabric of his jeans. His chubby legs quivered as he sobbed and screamed ceaselessly. Jin had discovered that the child in question was not an easy child to wake up, and that he was also quick to get attached. The moment Jin had placed him onto the couch, he had flown into a fit of tears, little face going red. He had chased the babysitter into the kitchen and been sobbing and clutching to Jin since. The only change occurred when Jimin and Taehyung entered the kitchen. The little boy turned to them and screeched angrily, yanking downwards on Jin’s calf. Taehyung turned and left as quickly as he had entered. Jimin stared at the scene, horror written in his features.

    

    “Jimin, can you try to calm him down?” Jin requested, while Jungkook still clung to the babysitter’s legs and screamed, chubby little face red and tear streaked. Jimin shook his head, horrified by the noises the baby was making, eyes wide. Joon walked in and promptly swooped down, grabbing up the tiny tyrant, and cooing softly at him. Jin could feel his heart swell as he watched the teenager with the boy. Jungkook simmered slightly, laying his head against Joon’s chest and quietly hiccuping while his sobbing died down. Jin turned his attention back to the kimchi fried rice on the stove top, grinning at how happy these boys made him, even with the screeching and the lack of help. He finished frying the strong smelling food and dished it out, to the five boys surrounding the long dining room table. He hadn’t gotten a tour of the dining room, but it seemed pretty self-explanatory. The two rooms off of it were less obvious, but Jimin and Hoseok had promised to show him their dance studio. Because why wouldn’t they have a personal dance studio? Jin grinned delightedly as the boys, and their various shades of brown eyes, stared back at him appreciatively.