Chapter Fourteen

The Cheonsa Rising
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 14

 

 

Jeonghan and Wonwoo went to the younger’s parents the day after they got released. Wonwoo wanted to come as soon as he got discharged but Jeonghan insisted on him resting more and getting his health back. He initially wanted to go straight to their house and demanded a reason why the landlord kicked them out. Jeonghan has never seen his younger brother as angry as he was right now. He was shaking in violent anger and the longhaired boy could only calm him down. They sat on Jeonghan’s car in front of the place that used to be his house. They were watching as men with hard hats bring down his house bit by bit.

 

“I don’t know why this can be happening, hyung!” The boy said with gritted teeth. “We still had over a year in our contract! My parents pay their rent on time; they’re not the type of people to make disturbances in the neighborhood. Why?” He complained. “WHY?!”

 

“Woo-ya, look at me.” He said, but the younger was just glaring on the sight in front of him.

 

Jeonghan placed his hand on Wonwoo’s clenched fist. He was tapping it lightly so that the fist would unclench. It took him a while, but Wonwoo opened his fists. Jeonghan clasped his hands on Wonwoo’s and made the younger look at him.

 

“Jeon Wonwoo, look at me!” He shouted a bit, making the other look at him.

 

“Right now, we’re gonna go to your parents, do you understand?” He asked him. He didn’t know what he was saying, but he just wanted to ease the younger’s anger; let go of some of it. Wonwoo nodded his head but still stole a few glances in front of them.

 

“We’re gonna go to your parents and you’re gonna be your calm, smiling self.” He ordered, cupping Wonwoo’s face with both hands. “I don’t want you to be this angry person in front of them.” He reiterated. The younger was shaking his hands on his face but Jeonghan didn’t let him.

 

“Why, hyung? Why do I have to pretend like it’s nothing when my family is going through something like this? WHY?” He said, tears falling down. Jeonghan was starting to tear up as well, but he didn’t do anything to wipe his daring tears.

 

“Because its gonna hurt them more, Woo. Its gonna be worse for them than it is for you because they are parents.” He said carefully. Explaining what he doesn’t know himself to his brother.

 

“What do you know about parents, hyung? You don’t have any.” Wonwoo asked him bitterly. Jeonghan felt like his heart is being stabbed right now. He is right. He thought. I don’t have any parents. This thought made him break hold of Wonwoo and sat back down.

 

“Why are you telling me what to do and act around my parents, hyung? As if you have them.” Wonwoo added. Jeonghan knew that this was just the anger in Wonwoo speaking; he knew that and understands it, but he can’t help but shrink under those words. As if each one is being branded into his brain.

 

“BECAUSE I DON’T HAVE THEM!” he roared in his own anger. “ITS BECAUSE I KNOW THAT I’M AN ORPHAN! WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT I’VE KNOWN MY WHOLE DAMNED LIFE?!” He shouted, his own bitter sorrow coming out of the surface.

 

Despite this, Jeonghan knew that right now, Wonwoo is what’s important. That he shouldn’t break down when his brother is. Nothing will be fixed by doing this. He remembered something he’s read as a child.

 

Don’t dwell on the things you couldn’t change; Focus on what you could.

 

It’s become his life’s principle, being an orphan. He couldn’t change that his parents were absent in his life and upon reading that line, he dedicated himself on doing something when he can, and letting go when he can’t.

 

Wonwoo’s problem is something he can do something with.

 

So he decided to focus on that instead.

 

Letting his anger go, he faced his younger brother with resolve.

 

“It’s because I don’t have parents that I cherish them. The thought of having them is my solace when I’m down, Woo. And if I have them, if I do, I know that I shouldn’t do something that would worry them. They probably love me very much and wouldn’t want to see me in pain.” He explained as tears streak down his face. Wonwoo froze at his words, his own anger starting to vanish.

 

“I’ve met your mother, right, Wonwoo?” He asked the younger. “I’ve met your mother and decided that she is a delightful woman. She’s someone who gave warmth and affection even to someone like me. She reached out to an orphan like me.” He explained, by now, both of them were sobbing.

 

“And I don’t want to do anything that would make that delightful woman sad. Being her son, you affect her happiness the most. If she sees you this way, what’s gonna be of her?” He said despite his sobs.

 

“It’s just so hard to do as you’ve said, hyung. How can I smile when I know they’re suffering because of me?” Wonwoo asked him, another wave of sadness overcoming him. Jeonghan wiped the younger’s cheeks and smiled sadly at him.

 

“Don’t think that it’s your fault, Won.” He said. Wonwoo shook his head in disagreement and Jeonghan hold him to make the younger look at him. “But even if it is,” He said, Wonwoo’s eyes widening at his words. “Even if it is your fault, then shouldn’t you be making sure that their suffering don’t go to waste? You’re an adult now, Jeon Wonwoo. You should start to be considerate of your parents feelings and not just your own.” He said, letting go of the younger.

 

“You’re concentrating on what you think and how you feel when you should be thinking on how worse it would be if you failed and their suffering goes for nothing.” He said carefully, not wanting to make the younger angry. “Don’t dwell on what you couldn’t change; Focus on what you could.” He told him his guiding words. The younger seemed to have gotten his point and nodded.

 

“Now, would you still whine like a kid or would you be an adult and reassure your parents you’re doing well?” He asked. Wonwoo shook his head.

 

“I’ll do well, better.” He answered, wiping his tears away.

 

“Now, contact mother so that we can go to them and make them feel better.” Jeonghan told him. Wonwoo nodded and took his phone out.

 

 Wonwoo’s mom sent them the address of the motel they were staying at. The two left their apartment first thing in the morning since it’s a weekend.

 

They arrived at motel and Wonwoo looked at the place pitifully; Jeonghan caught this so he put his hand on the younger’s shoulder.

 

“Don’t worry, Woo-ya. Show them that you’re doing well now, so that they can be at peace with one more thing.” He said. Wonwoo looked at him gratefully as he smiled.

 

“Let’s go.” He said.

 

Together, the two went inside the motel and told the front desk the room number they were visiting. Wonwoo felt pity for his parents as he saw the place they were staying in. A woman led them to the room and Wonwoo knocked on the door. Wonwoo’s older brother opened it and they hugged each other instantly.

 

“How are you doing, punk? I heard you’ve been sick.” Wonwoo’s brother said as he checked the younger’s body for any wounds. “You’ve grown thin!” He scolded Wonwoo. Jeonghan felt a bit jealous of the bond of the brothers; He wondered how would it be if he had one of his own.

 

“Hyung, I’m with company. You’re embarrassing me.” Wonwoo whispered. His brother then looked at Jeonghan and was surprised. Even Jeonghan felt embarrassed at the attention.

 

“I’m sorry. My name is Jeon Minwoo, I’m Wonwoo’s older brother.” Minwoo introduced himself, offering a hand.

 

“I’m Yoon Jeonghan, nice to meet you.” he said as he took the older’s hand. At the mention of his name, Minwoo perked up.

 

“Yoon Jeonghan? The pretty hyung you’ve been talking about?” He said, turning to Wonwoo for answer. The younger nodded in agreement. Jeonghan didn’t knew that Wonwoo as talking about him to his brother.

 

“Wow, you didn’t say he was actually pretty! I thought you meant pretty boy type of guy!” He said, hitting Wonwoo playfully. “You’re really pretty, Pretty hyung.” Minwoo said. Jeonghan flustered at being called pretty, he looked away.

 

“Hyung, you’re older than him!” Wonwoo corrected his brother but he shook his head.

 

“He’s taking care of you, Won. He even lets you stay with him. In my eyes, he’s a hyung.” Minwoo looked at him with respect. Jeonghan certainly blushed at the compliment. He smiled despite his blushing cheeks, suddenly feeling warm at the older’s words.

 

“Heol, you’re even prettier when you blush! You’re prettier than my sister!” The older teased. “Come inside, Mom and Dad went to buy food because they were expecting you. Jinju is in the shower.” Minwoo said as he led the two on the couch.

 

“Forgive the space, it’s really small we know.” Minwoo said shyly as he touched the back of his neck. Jeonghan made sure that his expression was in check to not offend them, but Wonwoo was struggling with his. He can still see the sadness and pity in the younger’s eyes as he stared on what’s become of his family’s home.

 

They had to wait for ten more minutes before Wonwoo’s parents arrived. By then, Jeonghan has also met, Jeon Jinju, their sister and got acquainted. Wonwoo’s mother immediately enveloped her maknae in a hug. She was almost in tears when they finished. She also gave Jeonghan a hug as Wonwoo went to his father.

 

“I haven’t met you properly, but I am Wonwoo’s father. I wanted to thank you for taking care of our maknae.” He said. He knew then that Wonwoo got his eyes from his father; same sharp eyes that seemed cold at first. It vanished to moment he smiled.

 

“Don’t worry about it, sir. He’s been like a real brother to me.” Jeonghan said with a smile. He wasn’t even awkward with calling Wonwoo a brother now; he’s become used to it.

 

“I told you to call me mother, Han-nie! You should call him father as well because we’re married after all!” Wonwoo’s mother said with a smile. Her eyes were still red from tearing up but she still smiled.

 

“I’m sorry mother, father.” He said, correcting himself. The elders looked pleased by this. They sat on the floor as they ate, setting up a table in the middle. Despite their humble room, Wonwoo’s parents filled their table with many side dishes; to Jeonghan, this was a feast.

 

“So dad, what happened? Have you heard anything from the landlord?” Wonwoo asked his father. Jeonghan felt proud of Wonwoo when he asked this. Despite knowing exactly what happened to their house, he lied and acted like he doesn’t know anything. Wonwoo’s father looked a bit embarrassed in front of Jeonghan but still he answered his son truthfully.

 

“I couldn’t do anything, after all, Wonwoo. I tried to talk to our neighbors because they too, were forced to leave; but they said that they had few months left on their contract so they owner let them finish it. Even they were wonde

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter